• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 17-23 April

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Tabris said:
Well I predicted Earthbound wouldn't sell over 200k it's first chart, I was wrong by 5k.

So being true to my word, I won't say a single thing about Brain Training, Animal Crossing or the concept of "non-games" again.

It's been fun guys :)
At least you were good enough to live up to your word. :)

Emotions

Too bad we don't have Mono to spin it and downplay the importance of Mother 3 , how the game sucks and how it doesn't compare to the almighty PSP.

On topic , excellent for Mother 3 and the DS doing great as usual, please bring Mother 1+2+3 stateside!!!!

polg

so golden week (aka japanese easter) starts on the 29th...

which games are being release this and next week?

VerTiGo

Banned
Nintendo should drop the price of all their DS million and multimillion sellers to boost sales of the titles even more. It'll be nice to see what the total sales numbers for these respective touch generation games can come out to be at the end of the year and their shelflife.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Archie said:
At least you were good enough to live up to your word. :)
pfffft it was a lame bet anyway.

good numbers for Mother 3

Okami bombed but that was expected.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Tabris said:
Well I predicted Earthbound wouldn't sell over 200k it's first chart, I was wrong by 5k.

So being true to my word, I won't say a single thing about Brain Training, Animal Crossing or the concept of "non-games" again.

No more Tabris non-game rants? :D Now if only we can find a way to stop aLttP's random sales accusations as well. No more 3rd party DS sales threads please.

cvxfreak said:
For all your Mono needs, head to GameFAQs.
Where he belongs.

cvxfreak said:
I take it back, next week is:

Winning Eleven 10 (PS2)
Naruto 4 for DS (DS)
Tetris DS (DS)
Shinseiki Evangelion 2 (PSP)
KOF: Maximum Impact 2 (PS2)

so in other words another 2 new ds games in the top 10..

Naruto is auto top 10.. and tetris ds of course.

polg said:
there's no big PSP release?

The Dog: Happy Life, Innocent Life, and Rengoku 2 are really the only notable PSP releases I can think of for this week in Japan. From the release schedule I've seen for PSP in Japan, PSP isn't going to have any new releases until May 11th after this week's releases.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
polg said:
there's no big PSP release?
PSP Innocent Life: Shin Bokujou Monogatari 2006-04-27 5040 yen MMV
PSP Kazuo 2006-04-27 2800 yen SCE
PSP Machi: Unmei no Kousaten 2006-04-27 5040 yen Sega
PSP Mai Hime Senretsu 2006-04-27 6090 yen Sunrise
PSP Rengoku 2: The Stairway to HEAVEN 2006-04-27 5040 yen Hudson
PSP Shin Seiki Evangenlion 2 2006-04-27 5040 yen Bandai Namco
PSP The Dog Happy Life 2006-04-27 5040 yen Yukes

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
Nice Mother 3, good numbers.

Next week will feature the next +1m seller, Winning Eleven 10.

argon

speedpop said:
Looks like that Rev port looks more and more juicier for Capcom, especially if they can somehow do some trickery advertising based upon Twilight Princess' wolf mechanics.

It would be a great "post launch drought" game for the Revolution-- Nintendo should really be pushing Capcom for a port. Somehow I doubt it will happen though, it just makes too much sense.

Graphically I think it still compares favorably with next-gen games due to its unique art style.

MrDaravon

Decent numbers for Mother considering the cult fanbase, but I don't think this one has huge legs like say Animal Crossing. I don't think it'll do more than 400k lifetime, which certainly isn't bad by any means though. Aside from fan expectations, was the game really expected to sell huge in Japan or anything? I can't think it cost them that much to make or anything.

VerTiGo said:
Nintendo should drop the price of all their DS million and multimillion sellers to boost sales of the titles even more. It'll be nice to see what the total sales numbers for these respective touch generation games can come out to be at the end of the year and their shelflife.

Why drop the price as long as they are selling as great as they are? Might as well keep them where they are until the sales really start to drop (i.e. they aren't charting anymore) then use a price drop or some bundles to boost sales and interest again.

And while not great, at least Okami didn't pull a Contact...

osyrus

Someone explain to me why so many people are saying Tetris is going to bomb? I thought Japan was crazy about Tetris.

cvxfreak

jGuru said:
Nice Mother 3, good numbers.

Next week will feature the next +1m seller, Winning Eleven 10.

Can it sell a million? WE9 only reached the mark after a budget re-release. I guess the World Cup should help, though.

Tiktaalik

I don't know, for a game that's been on the top "most wanted" chart in Famitsu for so long I expected better for Mother 3. I guess it goes to show how meaningless that chart is.

Definitely good sales for a GBA game.

jGuru

VerTiGo said:

Economics 101 awaits.

cvxfreak said:
Can it sell a million? WE9 only reached the mark after a budget re-release. I guess the World Cup should help, though.

Really? I thought it toped the 1m mark easily. Anyway, WC 2006 will help indeed, Japan is already going to Germany,so yeah.

cvxfreak

VerTiGo said:

Sounds like a neat idea, but Japanese retailers, at least in my experience, never obide by the real MSRP. There always seem to be a small discount or so.

In the case of Brain Training 1 and 2, those games are already $20.

cvxfreak

Benadryl Hitman said:
Didn't someone say in another thread that there were only 300,000 Mother 3 copies and that it sold 85-90%

Take early sales reports with a grain of salt. They're just guesstimates based on a small sample of retailers, and aren't official numbers, either. Many times though they're good indicators to final sales.

Amir0x

Banned
And NINTENDO (SquareEnix, wtf did I write that?) only shipped 300k at first for Mother 3?

Every copy was not sold. Fuck Japan.

jett

D-Member
4. DS More Brain Training 70,831 (1,957,633)
5. PSP Dragonball Z 70,559
6. PS2 Okami 60,161

That is a fucking disgrace. Tasteless bastards.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
jett said:
4. DS More Brain Training 70,831 (1,957,633)
5. PSP Dragonball Z 70,559
6. PS2 Okami 60,161

That is a fucking grace. Tasteless bastards.
1. GBA Mother 3 205,914

They are redeemed, for one week.

jGuru

cvxfreak said:
Sounds like a neat idea.

No man, it's not. They're already selling madly, why chang the prices? From the number of sales you can tell that the consumer think that the game actually worth the money, so dropping the prices will only damage the revenue. Yes more buyers will come, but not enough to top the benefits that you were having before dropping the prices. Basic Economics 101.

cvxfreak said:
Take early sales reports with a grain of salt. They're just guesstimates based on a small sample of retailers, and aren't official numbers, either. Many times though they're good indicators to final sales.
Amir0x said:
And Nintendo only shipped 300k at first for Mother 3?

Every copy was not sold. Fuck Japan.
Apparently so says Duckroll in the old Media Create thread:

duckroll said:
Some unofficial news:

- It seems that the initial shipment of Yangus was about 300k and the absorption rate was about 35%. An estimate of 95k sold is given, but that might be first day instead of weekly, although the same report did indicate that there might be a massive pricedrop this weekend for the title due to lower than expected sales and Golden Week coming up.

- Mother 3's initial shipment of 300k seems to have enjoyed an absorption rate of 60-70% on the FIRST DAY of sales. Sounds pretty hot to me. I guess a certain person will have to stop complaining about non-games!

- Initial shipment for Ninety-Nine Nights was 40k, first day absorption rate of 70%, off to a good start.

cvxfreak

jGuru said:
No man, it's not. They're already selling madly, why chang the prices? From the number of sales you can tell that the consumer think that the game actually worth the money, so dropping the prices will only damage the revenue. Yes more buyers will come, but not enough to top the benefits that you were having before dropping the prices. Basic Economics 101.

From a consumer standpoint it sounds like a good idea. For many other reasons, Nintendo is better off waiting months or years.

cvxfreak

Viewtiful Darkness said:
I think the Dragonball Z game for PSP will sell more than the DS Dragonball Z game. These are are the first week numbers for the DS Dragonball Z game:
http://game-science.com/news/001275.php

In comparison, the PSP Dragonball Z game has sold 70,559 in it's first week out

The DS game was released during the holidays. Shin Budokai doesn't have that same benefit unless it does well in Golden Week.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Tabris said:

You said first week. It's only been 4 full days technically. :)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Tetris bombed in NA?

I know it didn't make top 10, but do we know its exact sales numbers yet?

Top Bottom