• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/02 - 03/08

GDGF

Soothsayer
duckroll said:
Motion Controls only affect certain games though, while graphics and sound affect EVERY game. You can't seriously tell me that playing a RPG on a system with motion controls makes the controls "next gen" can you? There's a reason why certain Wii games support the classic controller and GC controller. :p

If that RPG was an Oblivion, Fallout, or Might and Magic game I would! Unfortunately, we'll probably never see anything like that. The closest we'll probably get is Dragon Quest swords 2 :(

markatisu

gconsole said:
Because neojubei said like Capcom won't make the game for PSP.

And he is a Capcom rep or something :lol

I think everyone here knows its 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure that MH3 will come to the PSP, but this time so far Capcom is not going to kill MH3 Wii by announcing the PSP version and kill the sales for Wii (as they did for RE4 on the GC)

markatisu said:

I think everyone here knows its 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure that MH3 will come to the PSP, but this time so far Capcom is not going to kill MH3 Wii by announcing the PSP version and kill the sales for Wii (as they did for RE4 on the GC)

Are you sure? Aren't we supposed to hear about a new MH game soon?

t3nmilez

Hmm, seems right I guess. Now comes the long drought of games! Should be interesting to see how the market stabilizes.

Jonnyram

On the topic of the controller vs HD debate. One issue is that the new control method is only beneficial to a small subset of existing genres, including FPS/TPS and RTS, for example. It doesn't bring anything to genres like racing, beat-'em-up, shmups, RPGs...

M&L3 after 4 weeks = 378,000
M&L1 after 9 weeks = 376,941 / LTD = 438,781
M&L2 after 6 months = 393,775 / LTD = 417,391

Should beat both games LTD sales in about a months time.

lherre

Accurate
XiaNaphryz said:
Yakuza dropoff is disappointing yet expected.

I think RGG3 sales have been affected by RE5 sales ... We have to see the next weeks if RGG3 will have "some legs".

Doubledex

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
Serious question, what about the Eye Toy and Eye Kinetic and all those "Eye" games on PS2? Didn't they do much of the same shit that the Wii controller and Wii Sports/Wii Play does? If I'm mistaken, sorry, but that's what I remember from them.
Shhhhhhhhht! Only Nintendo is inovative with their controls and their Mario Tennis Part 8734 and Mario Part 2343, Zelda Part 239489

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:
I'm thinking he saw the black-and-white version of NMH2's trailer in John Harker's avatar and thought it was MadWorld.

I think thats unfair. Just cause you are miffed Capcom decide to snub the Wii again doesnt mean you should be taking it out on neo...=P

I'm kidding

Doubledex said:
Shhhhhhhhht! Only Nintendo is inovative with their controls and their Mario Tennis Part 8734 and Mario Part 2343, Zelda Part 239489
From memory, 5 Mario Tennis iterations over 6 consoles. 11 Mario Platformers over 8 consoles, and 12 or 13 proper Zelda titles over 8 consoles. How many Musou games have there been on how many consoles? How many RPGs named Final Fantasy? Megaten? Megaman? It bugs me when Mario and Zelda get accused of being whore'd and overplayed, when it seems that they get one, or sometimes two games per console, at least in generations past the NES. Other company's properties tend to hit many more iterations.

Nintendo's exception seems to be Mario Party, but that's more of an example of them following the Madden model.

AranhaHunter said:
Are you sure? Aren't we supposed to hear about a new MH game soon?
MHP2G2, just you wait.

Nice RE5 sales at freaking 9000Y price point, with this, MGS4, SO4 and such...I can't wait to see how much will Square-Enix want to charge for FFXIII (not including how much they charge already for the demos and videos).

I believe this is hard to see, but Valkyria Chronicles budget re-release did quite better than the usual PS3 re-release, first week comparisons that I could find (not easy since they don't make top30):
PS3 Senjou no Valkyria (PlayStation 3 the Best) 4.700
PS3 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PlayStation 3 the Best) 1.800
PS3 Motorstorm Complete 1.400
PS3 Armored Core 4 (BEST) 1.400
PS3 Rainbow Six Vegas (PlayStation 3 the Best) 1.300
PS3 Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice (PlayStation 3 the Best) 1.100
PS3 Ninja Gaiden Sigma (PlayStation 3 the Best) 1.000
PS3 Gundam Musou (PlayStation 3 the Best) 900
PS3 Enchant Arm (PlayStation 3 the Best) 840
PS3 Armored Core: For Answer (PlayStation 3 the Best) 840
PS3 Boku no Natsuyasumi 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best) 590

Osuwari

now, imagine if there was a Mario Musou. even Mario Party would look like classic 2D Mario in sequel release rate.

btw, has there been a regular edition game priced over 10000 yen?

Laguna

Banned
ITA84 said:
It's amazing to see this holding on for so long: it's by no means a bad game, but how long can a single licensed game last? How popular is it?

It seems you´re confusing this with SQEX licenced Penguin DS game. It isn´t. This game is from Konami and isn´t based on the cartoon.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Those are good numbers for RE5 ps3 for some reason I expected lower. Yakuza 3 hopefully you have some good legs! Damn on deamon souls I think all the copies on that game are gone.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
markatisu said:

I'm no rep or anything and I would not put it past Capcom to actually port monster hunter
portable
3 if they see it as financially worth wild. I'm just surprised after the fantastic sales for portable 2G on psp the next monster hunter game wouldn't be on the psp, then again the Wii version could have the same effect on sales like portable G.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Osuwari said:
btw, has there been a regular edition game priced over 10000 yen?

A few on the Famicom. Not sure about any since then.

duckroll said:
Motion Controls only affect certain games though, while graphics and sound affect EVERY game. You can't seriously tell me that playing a RPG on a system with motion controls makes the controls "next gen" can you?

You can't seriously tell me that playing an RPG on a system with HD graphics makes the graphics "next gen" can you?

disgaea3geo.jpg

;)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Stumpokapow said:
You can't seriously tell me that playing an RPG on a system with HD graphics makes the graphics "next gen" can you?

disgaea3geo.jpg

;)

Exactly. Disgaea 3 could have been a PS2 game or a Wii game and it'd have rocked just as much as it does now. Graphics only affect how the game looks and that's it. Just because someone makes this

chess.jpg

look like this

chess-set-made-of-auto-partsjpeg.jpg

or this

chess1.jpg

Doesn't change the game by itself, nor does it make it better. It just makes it look different and nothing more.

Dragon

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Exactly. Disgaea 3 could have been a PS2 game or a Wii game and it'd have rocked just as much as it does now. Graphics only affect how the game looks and that's it.

Doesn't change the game by itself, nor does it make it better. It just makes it look different and nothing more.

I guess I don't understand the view that's so dismissive for any advances in technology, whether that be the controls or the graphics, which have a lot to do with each other anyway. Disgaea 1 could have been a PS1 game, but it wasn't. Using Disgaea as an example of non graphics is ridiculous, it's known for being what it is. Valkyria Chronicles for instance, could not have been done on the PS2 and its graphics engine ADDED to the game significantly, in my opinion. Whether that be in the way the game played, looked, etc.

The people scoffing at HD RPGs should scoff because of the sheer dearth of them, and because most of them suck. Not because their HD graphics don't affect the game 'except how it looks.'

I'd really like to know what RPGs have come out on the Wii that have featured motion control significantly changing the gameplay.

Looking it up, the only one I've seen have any sort of motion controls is Chocobo's Dungeon, there are probably others.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TheBranca18 said:
I guess I don't understand the view that's so dismissive for any advances in technology, whether that be the controls or the graphics, which have a lot to do with each other anyway. Disgaea 1 could have been a PS1 game, but it wasn't. Using Disgaea as an example of non graphics is ridiculous, it's known for being what it is. Valkyria Chronicles for instance, could not have been done on the PS2 and its graphics engine ADDED to the game significantly, in my opinion. Whether that be in the way the game played, looked, etc.

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but my point was that just as raising the potential for graphics and sound CAN but won't necessarily help RPGs, so too will allowing motion controls. I very much disagree with duck's assertion that while motion controls only impact a select number of games, increased potential for graphics impact all games.

I'd really like to know what RPGs have come out on the Wii that have featured motion control significantly changing the gameplay.

Dragon Quest Swords would not have existed on any other platform. It's also the best-selling RPG on the Wii.

There's also this guy.

On the other hand, there's also a half-dozen half-baked RPGs that do not benefit from motion controls or benefit so minorly they likely would have benefited more from HD graphics.

It's all in what developers choose to do.

ITA84

Laguna said:
It seems you´re confusing this with SQEX licenced Penguin DS game. It isn´t. This game is from Konami and isn´t based on the cartoon.

I've never heard of that SE game, I actually played the Konami game. I only thought it was based on some manga or something, or else I couldn't explain its success.

Jonnyram

Stumpokapow said:
Dragon Quest Swords would not have existed on any other platform. It's also the best-selling RPG on the Wii.
Its predecessor existed as a piece of hardware that you plugged into your TV and was cheaper than the Wii software alone, actually.

On the other hand, there's also a half-dozen half-baked RPGs that do not benefit from motion controls or benefit so minorly they likely would have benefited more from HD graphics.
Whatever your taste is, we live in an age where cinematics and story play a large part in games, especially RPGs. These benefit far more from HD than motion controls. I would wager Halo, Gears, Resistance and Killzone wouldn't have been nearly as popular in SD with better controls. The whole presentation of these games is very appealing to the mass market. Good luck achieving similar things on Wii.

It's all in what developers choose to do.
There is a market that is making the decisions for them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jonnyram said:
Its predecessor existed as a piece of hardware that you plugged into your TV and was cheaper than the Wii software alone, actually.

And the Game and Watch had two screens before the DS. That's a stupid rebuttal. Clearly I've heard of Kenshin.

DQS is an example of a game for which motion controls, rather than audiovisual fidelity, is the instrumental factor. Someone asks "What's an RPG that would exist on the Wii and not the PS3/360?" and here's your answer.

Whatever your taste is, we live in an age where cinematics and story play a large part in games, especially RPGs. These benefit far more from HD than motion controls.

I disagree. We live in an age where the best-selling RPG series (by a looooong shot) is one of the least cinematic. Moreover, the best-selling RPG (single-SKU) of the generation is about to launch on the visually weakest system. The followup to that RPG will be on the Wii--with or without motion control.

Obviously, yes, there is a demand for HD, cinematic RPGs. No one disagrees with that.

I would wager Halo, Gears, Resistance and Killzone wouldn't have been nearly as popular in SD with better controls. The whole presentation of these games is very appealing to the mass market. Good luck achieving similar things on Wii.

Erm, sure. That's tautological. "An experience tailored for HD consoles would not be as successful on a motion-controlled but SD console." Yeah, duh. Likewise, experiences tailored for motion control, even totally shitty ones, would not be as successful in a cinematic high-def format without the motion control.

Did you think my post read as "HD GARBAGE GIVE ME TEH WAGGLES"? That's not my point. My point is that if developers opt to make an experience to take advantage of the Wii, they are able to do so. If developers opt to make an experience to take advantage of HD, they are able to do so. If developers opt to tack waggle on, or release an SD-looking game on an HD system, they can do that too.

There is a market that is making the decisions for them.

It's symbiotic. High profile software drives demand, and demand drives high profile software. There's also "moneyhats"--whether in the form of just a break on licencing fees, copublishing, etc.

It's not as simple as you just described.

But, look at the lay of the land:
DS--DQ9, Pokeymans, KH, etc
PSP--Crisis Core, KH, Agito, etc
360--SO4, IU, TLR, FF13 (outside Japan), etc.
PS3--Disgaea, Atelier, FF13, Versus 13, WKC, etc
Wii--DQS, DQX, FFCC, etc

There are major titles on every platform right now. The market reality does not really reflect the domination of one approach or another.

lherre said:
I think RGG3 sales have been affected by RE5 sales ... We have to see the next weeks if RGG3 will have "some legs".
Ehh, I wouldn't hope for too too much in the way of legs. It's already starting to fill up the used shops, as is the way of things in Japan.

spwolf

AranhaHunter said:
Serious question, what about the Eye Toy and Eye Kinetic and all those "Eye" games on PS2? Didn't they do much of the same shit that the Wii controller and Wii Sports/Wii Play does? If I'm mistaken, sorry, but that's what I remember from them.

it will turn out that they were next-next-gen at the end :)

apujanata

Jonnyram said:
Whatever your taste is, we live in an age where cinematics and story play a large part in games, especially RPGs. These benefit far more from HD than motion controls. I would wager Halo, Gears, Resistance and Killzone wouldn't have been nearly as popular in SD with better controls. The whole presentation of these games is very appealing to the mass market. Good luck achieving similar things on Wii.

I played a lot of RPG (not as much as you, but significantly more than average people). While I certainly enjoyed Blue Dragon, The Last Remnant, that does not meant that I didn't enjoy Pokemon, Dragon Warrior 1&2 on GB, Zelda ALTTP on VC anymore. In fact, I believe that I have been burned on FF type game (with its hundreds or 50+ hours of gameplay), and enjoyed those short, fun games, like Disaster:Day of Crisis or Dragon Quest Sword more than the standard RPG fare.

I believe that I will still enjoy Blue Dragon even if its graphics are on XBOX / GC level. Not so sure about Last Remnant, since it's gameplay and mechanics are not as fun as Blue Dragon, IMO.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

test_account

XP-39C²
RurouniZel said:
Graphics only affect how the game looks and that's it.
To some degree that is true, i agree, but in my opinion the graphics can also affect the atmosphere in the games, which might make the games "feel better", if you know what i mean?

RurouniZel said:
Just because someone makes this

http://www3.telus.net/chessvancouver/images/chess.jpg

look like this

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/chess-set-made-of-auto-partsjpeg.jpg

or this

http://www.celticconcepts.net/CC/chess1.jpg

I guess it depends on how you define "better". In this case with chess, the game elements itself (what you are suppose to do in the game) would be unchanged no matter how the game looks, so in this case the game elements doesnt become any better, that is true. But if "better" means "more fun", then the graphics can make some difference, at least in my opinion :) For example:

chess.gif

VS

chess_003.png

I am not sure if Battle Chess (the picture on the bottom) would be just as cool to play if it looked like the first picture of the black and white chess :) Maybe it is possible to argue and say that Battle Chess has some extra fighting elements in the game that isnt in a "normal" chess game, both both games are chess games :)

Jokeropia

AranhaHunter said:
Serious question, what about the Eye Toy and Eye Kinetic and all those "Eye" games on PS2? Didn't they do much of the same shit that the Wii controller and Wii Sports/Wii Play does?
Not really, unless you speak in broader terms in which case stuff like the Power Glove and the Power Pad counts as well.

Wow at 7th Dragon sales!

test_account said:
To some degree that is true, i agree, but in my opinion the graphics can also affect the atmosphere in the games, which might make the games "feel better", if you know what i mean?

I guess it depends on how you define "better". In this case with chess, the game elements itself (what you are suppose to do in the game) would be unchanged no matter how the game looks, so in this case the game elements doesnt become any better, that is true. But if "better" means "more fun", then the graphics can make some difference, at least in my opinion :) For example:

chess.gif

VS

chess_003.png

vs

I am not sure if Battle Chess (the picture on the bottom) would be just as cool to play if it looked like the first picture of the black and white chess :) Maybe it is possible to argue and say that Battle Chess has some extra fighting elements in the game that isnt in a "normal" chess game, both both games are chess games :)

While I don't want to get into this conversation, their comes to a point where graphical fidelity can only increase so much.

aloneinthedark4.PNG

vs

resident-evil-remake.jpg

Is a really big difference.

Though

resident_evil_4__wii_edition.jpg

vs

resident-evil-5_26-07-08_01.jpg

Is a significant difference but isn't going to give me anything to cry about.

Especially when being on a next generation platform will only give bells and whistles to the artstyle.

re360.jpg

markatisu

I would wager Halo, Gears, Resistance and Killzone wouldn't have been nearly as popular in SD with better controls. The whole presentation of these games is very appealing to the mass market. Good luck achieving similar things on Wii.

The only successful thing about Killzone is its sequel, the original was mostly played in SD around the world.

Halo 1 and 2 were long before HD was considered a standard, I would wager a majority (like myself) also played those on SD screens

And especially in the case of Halo 1 and 2, playing it on an SD was just as pretty as playing it on an HD unit. Its actually ironic you mention Halo since a BIG criticism by reviewers and gaffers about Halo 3 was that it was just a slightly shinier version of Halo 1 and 2 and not nearly the definition of "next-gen" as it should be given the capabilities of its platform.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Flying_Phoenix said:
Though

resident_evil_4__wii_edition.jpg

vs

resident-evil-5_26-07-08_01.jpg

Is a significant difference but isn't going to give me anything to cry about.

Especially when being on a next generation platform will only give bells and whistles to the artstyle.

re360.jpg

...Let's try this again with full size screenshots. I'll grab out of the most recent ones on IGN for Wii Edition and RE5.

resident-evil-4-wii-edition-20070413025314808.jpg

resident-evil-5-20090304024702310.jpg

swerve

OMG what happened in this thread? We're doing HD benefits versus Wii benefits in an M-C thread.

Take it out into the schoolyard, people. Let the number crunching and predictions rule in here.

markatisu

swerve said:
OMG what happened in this thread? We're doing HD benefits versus Wii benefits in an M-C thread.

Take it out into the schoolyard, people. Let the number crunching and predictions rule in here.

Maybe they wanted a change in pace from Link saying the Wii is going to fail at life because the 3rd parties suck, Spiegel praising the PSP for its awesomeness, and us all trying to figure out exactly when the PS3 will drop like a rock to its old levels.

Top Bottom