• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 1/1 - 1/7

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
ziran said:
thanks for the translations creamsugar and enishi.

wow!

i think this is the first non holiday week of sales in japan (?) and seeing the entire top 10 go to nintendo, and wii sports at number 1, is amazing! i wonder how close the mc chart will be, the pokémon split will make a difference.

with ~100k sold this week i'm surprised at how quickly wii is taking off in japan, i expected a much slower adoption rate. great to see wii sports selling so well, in fact all the first party games have had very good sales. zelda at ~350k is good to know, hopefully it will continue to have good staying power.
I think this is Nintendo chart for last week.

ziran

LanceStern said:
How is that AWESOME sales for Zelda TP?

It's good, but not awesome. Pick the game up Wii owners!
Magicpaint said:
They should have just released the game on the GC properly and maybe it'll get the total sales it deserves. TP's "low" sales is partly Nintendo's fault too. Afterall they gave Wii Sports and Wii Play far more exposure and they play to the philosophy of the Wii much better.
i love tp, it's the best game i've ever played, but i think it's selling what it should in japan at the moment. the japanese market has shifted into a much more casual, fun place, and games like zelda just don't have the draw they once did, especially not this early in a console's life with such a small userbase.

tp is a really difficult game to play, in the sense it requires loads of time to get the most out of it. wii sports serves a much bigger group of people because it's a much easier game to play and it has a huge social aspect.

starship said:
I think this is Nintendo chart for last week.
i thought that, but it's the famitsu chart for jan 8-14:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/01/17/103,1169031876,65746,0,0.html
nintendo really is having incredible success in japan!

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Google just gave me this nicely translated page.

famitsutranslatelr7.jpg

ioi said:
Actually that's not even the full story since the publisher figures shown there are just for games in the top 100. Nintendo's total will be even higher when you take all games into account.
Wouldn't it be the opposite? Since the top 100 lists only the most popular titles, the most successful systems and publishers should be overrepresented, not underrepresented.

Rock_Man

JoshuaJSlone said:
Wouldn't it be the opposite? Since the top 100 lists only the most popular titles, the most successful systems and publishers should be overrepresented, not underrepresented.

No, the 77,160,000 is total software sold, not only top 100. The publisher numbers are based on the top 100 only, ie all publishers are underrepresented.

Rock_Man said:
No, the 77,160,000 is total software sold, not only top 100. The publisher numbers are based on the top 100 only, ie all publishers are underrepresented.
Yes, but as a percent. I probably should have left the rest of what ioi said, about how while Nintendo had 47% of the top 100 sales, if the rest were included...
ioi said:
You actually have around half of all games sold this year in Japan being Nintendo titles.

Taurus

Farore said:
:lol @ translations...
I found nothing funny there. But With it is and how it hits the forest sure has some crazy legs! :lol

New sperm Rio brothers? o_O *looking for his glasses*

ioi said:
Actually that's not even the full story since the publisher figures shown there are just for games in the top 100. Nintendo's total will be even higher when you take all games into account.

You actually have around half of all games sold this year in Japan being Nintendo titles.

ioi, why haven't you sent the Famitsu spreadsheet? It's been months now,
and after all that data I sent you...

Nintendo's dominance of the charts isn't going away anytime soon. It looks to me like the DS is going to surpass the PS2's LTP in Japan and possibly set much bigger records than any console/handheld there.

Deku

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Nintendo's dominance of the charts isn't going away anytime soon. It looks to me like the DS is going to surpass the PS2's LTP in Japan and possibly set much bigger records than any console/handheld there.

I honestly don't think the console/handheld terminology applies for the DS in Japan at this point. I've suggested for some months that the DS is essentially a dominant platform, whether it is a handheld or a cardboard box is irrelevant. As a dominant platform, its sales and software trends will be radically different than all the rest of the platforms on the market.

Yamauchi

Banned
I find the 100k Wii figure hard to believe. During the same week after the GameCube's first Christmas sales dropped to less than 40k.

Also, where is Brain Training Wii and Animal Crossing Wii?

Lapsed

Banned
Deku said:
I honestly don't think the console/handheld terminology applies for the DS in Japan at this point. I've suggested for some months that the DS is essentially a dominant platform, whether it is a handheld or a cardboard box is irrelevant. As a dominant platform, its sales and software trends will be radically different than all the rest of the platforms on the market.

Do not mock my shoebox. :( It makes more profit than PS3 hardware and the entire Xbox Franchise!

andthebeatgoeson

Yamauchi said:
I find the 100k Wii figure hard to believe. During the same week after the GameCube's first Christmas sales dropped to less than 40k.

Also, where is Brain Training Wii and Animal Crossing Wii?

Gamecube was coming in as a loser. PS2 had been out for awhile. Now, Wii is the first next-gen console for Japan. Well, PS3 beat it out but $599 doesn't translate well into Japanese. The Japanese leave the stores wondering why the clerk is asking for their social security number.

AniHawk said:
Well it already sold 300k. Another 200k isn't really out of the question.

Aye - doing an extra 200,000 over the lifetime of the console, especially considering it's still doing a rough 30-40,000 a week at the moment, is hardly a ludicrous proposition. TBH, I wouldn't be that surprised if it came out closer to Wind Waker's lifetime Japanese sales when all is said and done.

Taurus

castle007 said:
hahaha you are so awesome
Thanks. I feel like I'm on fire today! :lol

We should get software numbers today in a few hours, right?

gamergirly said:
Non-game charts or I-dont-care-about-those-games charts?
I was kidding if you didn't get it. Wii & DS Lite owner + N-fan here. ;)

Yamauchi said:
And Wii's first week was twice as big as any week GameCube ever had. The situations are pretty incomparable.

enishi

Cosmonaut X said:
Aye - doing an extra 200,000 over the lifetime of the console, especially considering it's still doing a rough 30-40,000 a week at the moment, is hardly a ludicrous proposition. TBH, I wouldn't be that surprised if it came out closer to Wind Waker's lifetime Japanese sales when all is said and done.

I think Zelda may go the way of Mario Kart DS: not impressive number every week but stay in top 30 for a long period to give satisfying LTD.

The next "big" thing for Wii in Japan may be Naruto (Not that big though) in March. It has at least 2-month time for Zelda to gain decent sales.

Busaiku

enishi said:
I think Zelda may go the way of Mario Kart DS: not impressive number every week but stay in top 30 for a long period to give satisfying LTD.

The next "big" thing for Wii in Japan may be Naruto (Not that big though) in March. It has at least 2-month time for Zelda to gain decent sales.
Fire Emblem's been a typically big (well, bigger than Naruto), outside of the GCN game. It may either increase or decrease the steam Zelda has going on now though.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Sorry to bring this back up, but dammit, I was going to respond last night right when they were going to start the maintenance, and I had to go to bed. Anyway!

justchris said:
Polarium has a progressive mode where you have to constantly remove lines or it eventually builds up and you lose. Otherwise, no, I would not count Polarium as a game.

What about Bust a Move? Each level has absolutely no bearing on the next puzzle. The whole board resets. Or Tetris? Is Tetris at all a game? Even the first tetris had two different games with different gameplay. And Tetris DS has all sorts of different games.

justchris said:
No. The entire point of Wario Ware is the collection of minigames. It's built as a group of games for that sole purpose. A game with different modes is built with the game in mind, and just happens to also contain other games.
FF: Dawn of Souls is not a game. It is a cart that contains 2 games. The two games have no relation or bearing on each other except they share a franchise.

I will just say I dislike your definition of a non game because it's counter productive and well, incorrect. Somehow, according to you, collections of games are now non-games too, which to me, pretty much proves it wrong. Not just collections, but some puzzle games too, which is one of the oldest game genres. And to you, a collection of sudo ku is a non game, but if somebody released a DS cart with a single su doku puzzle, you'd say it was a game. In case you deny that, here
justchris said:
A crossword puzzle is a game, as is Sudoku.
A book filled with crossword puzzles is not a game.

But then again... maybe I should embrace it, if such an old genre like puzzle games become nongames, that means non-games predate many game genres. Non games were around since the beginning of the industry so can't possibly be destroying it!

And what's really funny, Brain Age and BBA STILL fits your silly little definition of a game.

justchris

GreenGlowingGoo said:
What about Bust a Move? Each level has absolutely no bearing on the next puzzle. The whole board resets. Or Tetris? Is Tetris at all a game? Even the first tetris had two different games with different gameplay. And Tetris DS has all sorts of different games.

I've actually never played a single Bust-A-Move games, so I couldn't say.
And I've already stated having different game modes, variations on a theme, doesn't invalidate the game. Tetris as a game is progressive. Sure, you can start at level 5 instead of level 1, but it's very different from working up to level 5 from level 1. It has a very definite progression as well as a goal.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I will just say I dislike your definition of a non game because it's counter productive and well, incorrect. Somehow, according to you, collections of games are now non-games too, which to me, pretty much proves it wrong. Not just collections, but some puzzle games too, which is one of the oldest game genres. And to you, a collection of sudo ku is a non game, but if somebody released a DS cart with a single sudo ku puzzle, you'd say it was a game.

Yes, that is exactly what I said. It is a collection of games, but not in itself, a game. Contrast that with, for instance, a book of crossword puzzles, where the clues for the second puzzle were incomplete, and you needed words from the first puzzle to complete the clues for the second puzzle, so that you could then complete that puzzle, which would provide you with the clues for the third puzzle and so on. That would be a game, not just a book filled with games.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
But then again... maybe I should embrace it, if such an old genre like puzzle games become nongames, that means non-games predate many game genres. Non games were around since the beginning of the industry so can't possibly be destroying it!

I never claimed non-games are destroying the industry, although I know that's a common perception. The term 'non-game' is specious anyway. I'm just providing a consistent definition from my own observations. Because so far in my experience, every so called 'non-game' while it may not be a game in its entirety, contains things which have been recognized as games for centuries. Most just lack a definite progression. I don't see how a collection of things can somehow damage the validity of the things it is collecting.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
And what's really funny, Brain Age and BBA STILL fits your silly little definition of a game.

Brain Age has a goal, but not definite progression. I haven't actually played Big Brain Academy, so I'm not qualified to comment.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Zelda will sell in the long term. I predict something between 500k and 600k for it. Sot wonderful, but not so bad either.

There´s no way TP will end up selling less than 600k. WW´s attach rate on GC was about 20%. TP´s will probably end up being a little less on Wii, but Wii will sell at least 3x as much as GC (i.e. over 13 million). So basically, your guess would only be logical if you expect Wii to only sell as well as GC.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Bungalow Bob said:
There´s no way TP will end up selling less than 600k. WW´s attach rate on GC was about 20%. TP´s will probably end up being a little less on Wii, but Wii will sell at least 3x as much as GC (i.e. over 13 million). So basically, your guess would only be logical if you expect Wii to only sell as well as GC.

Big prediction, you're a brave man :)

Top Bottom