• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 1/1 - 1/7

Jiggy

cvxfreak said:
Top 5 by units:

1. Nintendo - 24,216,590
3. Pokemon - 5,584,691

2006 total sales: 77,160,000 across 1240 games
So, when combined, Nintendo accounts for roughly 38.6% of all games sold in Japan in 2006. I'd say something about the perceived necessity of third-party support, but it still might be reaching too far to do so, either way.

Neomoto

bmf said:
These three stats combined could lead to some pretty interesting conclusions.
You even forget to add Pokemon sales with Nintendo, which makes it even more interesting (29.801.281 / 77.160.000).

Kinda unbelievable that Nintendo had almost 40% of ALL software sales in the entire Japanese gameindustrie on every platform combined for an entire year. o_0 What will happen when there arn't Wii shortages anymore and it'll take off like the DS?! :O

Neomoto said:
You even forget to add Pokemon sales with Nintendo, which makes it even more interesting (29.801.281 / 77.160.000).

Kinda unbelievable that Nintendo had almost 40% of ALL software sales in the entire Japanese gameindustrie on every platform combined for an entire year. o_0 What will happen when there arn't Wii shortages anymore and it'll take off like the DS?! :O

Yeah. There are no words really to describe what Nintendo has reached with the Nintendo DS and what could reach with the Wii.

Perhaps the only thing I can say is to quote Yamauchi, Hiroshi: "If DS success, we will rise to the heavens, if we will fail, we will sink to the hell"

Classic and overused statement, but always pertinent.

cvxfreak said:
2004 total sales: 56,090,000 across 1019 games
2005 total sales: 55,430,000 across 1077 games

Wow... the japanese software market (in units) grew nearly 40% in one year...

flsh

Banned
cvxfreak said:

wow
This is even more impressive when taking into account PS2 was in full force in 2004, weaker in 2005 and much weaker in 2006.
The market grew so much in 2006 even though the best selling console ever died (slowly) that same year. Wow.

How are PSP software numbers in 2005 VS 2006?

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
I have a question, did 2006 break the record for the total money spent on videogames in Japan? I think 97 was the biggest year in Japan's videogames history, did 2006 break that record?

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Famitsu total DS sales in 2006 at 8.86m units! Insane

Moor-Angol said:
BandaiNamco games in the top100 are 15, i just finished checking from here:
http://geimin.net/da/06/rank.php

According to that website duckroll's figures have several errors (please make sure you post accurate data next time) and your publisher list also made an error by listing #68 as a Banpresto published title :)

These are the correct tables/charts for the Famitsu data:

tablefamitsu2006top100pen8.jpg

tablefamitsu2006top100psp7.jpg

tablefamitsu2006top100hsr1.jpg

piesoftware2006publisheok7.jpg

pietop10of2006ic0.jpg

piesoftware2006plattotaxx4.jpg

barsoftware2006platmeanyg6.jpg

barsoftware2006platmedijg1.jpg

piesoftware2006allsalesqo9.jpg

piesoftware2006allsalessa1.jpg

piesoftware2006nintendocr3.jpg

Amazing to see the top 3 games account for 15% of ALL software sales in 2006!

Parl

What's the GAF standard for non-games? Nintendogs a game or non-game? I know each individual one is a game, but grouped together, they're a non-game, so how can we decide?

flsh

Banned
Parl said:
What's the GAF standard for non-games? Nintendogs a game or non-game? I know each individual one is a game, but grouped together, they're a non-game, so how can we decide?

If it's on a nintendo system and it's a new IP, it's a non game. :lol

mutsu

Parl said:

Basically anything on the DS or Wii that sells tri-zillion copies.

Parl

mutsu said:
Basically anything on the DS or Wii that sells tri-zillion copies.

Still, what about the Nintendogs situations, like I asked before? Do we consider the games as a group and base it on their total sales, or do we count them individually and establish that Nintendogs... shock horror.. is actually a game?

apujanata

cvxfreak said:
Top 5 placement manufactuers:

1. Nintendo - 30/100
2. Bandai Namco Games - 15/100
3. Square Enix - 13/100
4. Konami - 8/100
5. Capcom - 7/100
5. Sega - 7/100

Top 5 by units:

1. Nintendo - 24,216,590
2. Square Enix - 6,847,891
3. Pokemon - 5,584,691
4. Bandai Namco Games - 4,228,898
5. Konami - 2,495,964

Why there was no mention of Pokemon in the Top 5 Placement manufacturers, but there is Pokemon in the Top 5 by units ?

Nice to see the sharp increase sales from 2005 to 2006. It is all thanks to DS (and rising to heaven) :D

Haunted

Thanks cvxfreak for the numbers and MrSardonic for all those charts. Very cool to see the japanese 2006 sales so neatly visualised.

And I'll just chime in how ****ing amazing this sort of dominance is for Nintendo and the DS in general.

'non-games' should be a bannable term if applied to games on purpose >_< - just say 'non-traditional game' and everybody's cool. :D

Parl

Haunted_One said:
'non-games' should be a bannable term if applied to games on purpose >_< - just say 'non-traditional game' and everybody's cool. :D

Got it. Sorted. So once Wii Sports tops one million, it changes into a different game, yet is still a game, and becomes a "non-traditional game". Yeah, logical, reasoned, useful, sorted. Peace on GAF?

justchris

By my definition, Nintendogs is a game.

Brain Training is not a game in the same way that Wario Ware is not a game. They are collections that include games, but in and of themselves are not games. As differentiated from Mario Party, which is both a game, and a collection of games.

The difference is a matter of having a coherent, overarching goal, and different genre's have different goal archetypes.

With that definition, it's pretty easy to qualify what is a 'game' and what is a 'non-game'.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
justchris said:

Brain Training is not a game in the same way that Wario Ware is not a game. They are collections that include games, but in and of themselves are not games. As differentiated from Mario Party, which is both a game, and a collection of games.

The difference is a matter of having a coherent, overarching goal, and different genre's have different goal archetypes.

With that definition, it's pretty easy to qualify what is a 'game' and what is a 'non-game'.

It's also incorrect. Well in terms of Brain Training and wario ware. There is a coherent overarching goal in both. Wario Ware has the loose story of Wario's company, but really all the minigames are played in order to progress. You don't just play levels for no reason, you play to keep going, just like in tetris you keep making lines so you can make more lines. And just like tetris, it will eventually get so fast that you can't continue (until they wimpifed tetris that is...). In brain age the over arching goal is your total brain age, and trying to improve it.

apujanata said:
Why there was no mention of Pokemon in the Top 5 Placement manufacturers, but there is Pokemon in the Top 5 by units ?
Diamond and Pearl sold enough to make up for having fewer games place in the top 100.

Parl

justchris said:

What's all this about? Look, if Nintendo made a piece of software for the DS, where when you turn it on and see the animated gif graphic, you say wow, but realise it does nothing else but remind you of DS being an alchemist, and it only sells 900,000, it's a videogame in every sense of the word. Don't use valid logic to spin things here!

justchris

GreenGlowingGoo said:
It's also incorrect. Well in terms of Brain Training and wario ware. There is a coherent overarching goal in both. Wario Ware has the loose story of Wario's company, but really all the minigames are played in order to progress. You don't just play levels for no reason, you play to keep going, just like in tetris you keep making lines so you can make more lines. And just like tetris, it will eventually get so fast that you can't continue (until they wimpifed tetris that is...). In brain age the over arching goal is your total brain age, and trying to improve it.

No, no there isn't. In the case of Brain Training, your brain age is determined independently for each test. While the goal of lowering your brain age is there, it's not consistently rated from test to test. Wii Sports suffers from the same issue.

While there is an overarching story to Wario Ware, and each game allows you to progress further in that set of games (the Tetris example you gave), the only valid reason to go from one group of games to another group is to unlock more games, which are again independently contained. You pick a character, and play through their various games, including boss battles. That is a game with a vaguely defined goal (ie, not to 'die'). Picking another character does not accomplish a different goal, it's the exact same thing over again, a separate, self contained game.

I'm not saying they're any less valid an experience, but they are collections of games in the same way a book of crossword puzzles is a collection of games. You don't call the book a game, but each individual crossword inside it is a game on it's own. Each crossword you do allows you to then move on to a harder crossword (although in the case of a book you can cheat and skip ahead more easily than you could in WarioWare), but your success or failure in the previous crossword (or set of minigames) has no real bearing on your success or failure in the succeeding crossword (or set of minigames).

Galactic Fork

justchris said:
No, no there isn't. In the case of Brain Training, your brain age is determined independently for each test. While the goal of lowering your brain age is there, it's not consistently rated from test to test. Wii Sports suffers from the same issue.

And success at a pinball game doesn't carry on from each individual game does it? So that means old games in which the whole purpose was getting a high score aren't games cause each individual session isn't related?

justchris said:
While there is an overarching story to Wario Ware, and each game allows you to progress further in that set of games (the Tetris example you gave), the only valid reason to go from one group of games to another group is to unlock more games, which are again independently contained. You pick a character, and play through their various games, including boss battles. That is a game with a vaguely defined goal (ie, not to 'die'). Picking another character does not accomplish a different goal, it's the exact same thing over again, a separate, self contained game.

But by themselves each game, while funny, is pointless, the game aspect comes from the increase in speed. It is absolutely no different than tetris. The farther you get the faster the games go. Each mini-game is merely an action. and yes, the only reason to keep playing is to get farther, get a better score. The same for tetris! This explains just about every single atari game and original Arcade game! Are those all suddenly not games now?

justchris said:
I'm not saying they're any less valid an experience, but they are collections of games in the same way a book of crossword puzzles is a collection of games. You don't call the book a game, but each individual crossword inside it is a game on it's own. Each crossword you do allows you to then move on to a harder crossword (although in the case of a book you can cheat and skip ahead more easily than you could in WarioWare), but your success or failure in the previous crossword (or set of minigames) has no real bearing on your success or failure in the succeeding crossword (or set of minigames).

See now you're invalidating puzzle games! Bust A Move and polarium aren't games now because each individual puzzle has no bearing on anything but going to the the next!

justchris

GreenGlowingGoo said:
And success at a pinball game doesn't carry on from each individual game does it? So that means old games in which the whole purpose was getting a high score aren't games cause each individual session isn't related?

But by themselves each game, while funny, is pointless, the game aspect comes from the increase in speed. It is absolutely no different than tetris. The farther you get the faster the games go. Each mini-game is merely an action. and yes, the only reason to keep playing is to get farther, get a better score. The same for tetris! This explains just about every single atari game and original Arcade game! Are those all suddenly not games now?

See now you're invalidating puzzle games! Bust A Move and polarium aren't games now because each individual puzzle has no bearing on anything but going to the the next!

No, you've gone beyond the scope of my argument.

Each of the individual games in Wario Ware (as well as each of the individual character stages) is a game. There is a progression there in each individual one.

It is a collection of games, but not in itself a game. The problem is the overarching metaphor these games take place within.

Puzzle games still fall under the game definition because each stage does have an effect on the succeeding stage, there is a progression there in each case.

Pinball is a game because it maintains a single focused goal for it's entirety and maintains a progression from start until you fail (or tilt the machine).

A crossword puzzle is a game, as is Sudoku.

A book filled with crossword puzzles is not a game. It lacks an overall metaphor tying each puzzle to the previous one. By the same token, Clubhouse Games is not a game. It is a collection of games.

That is the only place where my definition places a distinction between game & non-game.

Galactic Fork

justchris said:
No, you've gone beyond the scope of my argument.

Each of the individual games in Wario Ware (as well as each of the individual character stages) is a game. There is a progression there in each individual one.

It is a collection of games, but not in itself a game. The problem is the overarching metaphor these games take place within.

Puzzle games still fall under the game definition because each stage does have an effect on the succeeding stage, there is a progression there in each case.

Let me answer that with what you said:

In Polarium, beating a puzzle just rewards you with getting to a new one, just like your example above. Tell me how that is at all different.

justchris said:
Pinball is a game because it maintains a single focused goal for it's entirety and maintains a progression from start until you fail (or tilt the machine).

A crossword puzzle is a game, as is Sudoku.

A book filled with crossword puzzles is not a game. It lacks an overall metaphor tying each puzzle to the previous one. By the same token, Clubhouse Games is not a game. It is a collection of games.

That is the only place where my definition places a distinction between game & non-game.

How about games with different modes then? Are they all non games, since each mode isn't really related. Like a jet fighter that has an arcade mode, and a mission mode? Those two aren't related? Does that just make it a collection and therefore not a game?
And so you're also stating that any collection of games is a Non game? Like FF1+2 dawn of souls, any of the genesis collection, the boardgame games that come with multiple board games? Umm you get the idea.

justchris

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Let me answer that with what you said:

In Polarium, beating a puzzle just rewards you with getting to a new one, just like your example above. Tell me how that is at all different.

Polarium has a progressive mode where you have to constantly remove lines or it eventually builds up and you lose. Otherwise, no, I would not count Polarium as a game.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
How about games with different modes then? Are they all non games, since each mode isn't really related. Like a jet fighter that has an arcade mode, and a mission mode? Those two aren't related? Does that just make it a collection and therefore not a game?
And so you're also stating that any collection of games is a Non game? Like FF1+2 dawn of souls, any of the genesis collection, the boardgame games that come with multiple board games? Umm you get the idea.

No. The entire point of Wario Ware is the collection of minigames. It's built as a group of games for that sole purpose. A game with different modes is built with the game in mind, and just happens to also contain other games.

FF: Dawn of Souls is not a game. It is a cart that contains 2 games. The two games have no relation or bearing on each other except they share a franchise.

creamsugar

Famitsu 1/1 ~ 1/7

PS2 53,299
PS3 67,620
GC 1,357
Wii 146,553
360 20,586
GBASP 3,833
GBM 3,439
PSP 118,479
DS 629
DSL 304,692

Wii Games
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 48,567 (333,841)
WarioWare: Smooth Moves - 60,192 (256,958)
Wii Sports - 157,024 (710,238)
Play Wii - 126,486 (629,671)
Pokémon Battle Revolution - 35,004 (165,977)
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 - 42,501

ioi

Banned
Neomoto said:

Actually that's not even the full story since the publisher figures shown there are just for games in the top 100. Nintendo's total will be even higher when you take all games into account.

You actually have around half of all games sold this year in Japan being Nintendo titles.

Guys, these Famitsu numbers are for January 1-7.

You know, the same numbers we've just spent a week discussing? In this very thread?

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
creamsugar said:
Famitsu 1/1 ~ 1/7

PS2 53,299
PS3 67,620
GC 1,357
Wii 146,553
360 20,586
GBASP 3,833
GBM 3,439
PSP 118,479
DS 629
DSL 304,692

Wii Games
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 48,567 (333,841)
WarioWare: Smooth Moves - 60,192 (256,958)
Wii Sports - 157,024 (710,238)
Play Wii - 126,486 (629,671)
Pokémon Battle Revolution - 35,004 (165,977)
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 - 42,501

According to Famitsu; Wii Sports sold more copies than Wii consoles sold last week.
The Wii has been extremely impressive thus far. It probably has a tie ratio better than 3:1, which is a very good sign for Nintendo.

justchris said:
No. The entire point of Wario Ware is the collection of minigames. It's built as a group of games for that sole purpose. A game with different modes is built with the game in mind, and just happens to also contain other games.
This is absolute bullshit. Ignoring the way in which the microgames are placed and played out in WarioWare is ignoring the genius of the game. It's like saying that a film with multiple storylines (Magnolia perhaps) is a collection of films.

enishi

creamsugar said:
Wii - 100,000 (1,250,000)

Wii Sports - 80,0000
Play Wii - 700,000
Zelda - 350,000
Wario - 300,000

Also,
Wii Sports LTD ~800k, about 64% tie ratio
Pokemon Wii LTD ~200k
Dragon Quest Monster Joker LTD >900k
Kirby DS LTD >800k

creamsugar

and Famisu last Nintendo week

01. [Wii] Wii Sports
02. [Wii] Play Wii
03. [DS] Pokemon
04. [DS] DQMJ
05. [DS] Common Sense Training
06. [DS] New SMB
07. [DS] Brain Training 2
08. [DS] Animal Crossing WW
09. [DS] kirby
10. [DS] MKDS

castle007

Banned
creamsugar said:

01. [Wii] Wii Sports
02. [Wii] Play Wii
03. [DS] Pokemon
04. [DS] DQMJ
06. [DS] New SMB
09. [DS] kirby
10. [DS] MKDS

if this ends up being the same for MC, then I think that this is the first time in a LONG time that we have had 2 consecutive weeks with the top 10 being just nintendo hardware

ziran

thanks for the translations creamsugar and enishi.

creamsugar said:

01. [Wii] Wii Sports
02. [Wii] Play Wii
03. [DS] Pokemon
04. [DS] DQMJ
06. [DS] New SMB
09. [DS] kirby
10. [DS] MKDS
wow!

i think this is the first non holiday week of sales in japan (?) and seeing the entire top 10 go to nintendo, and wii sports at number 1, is amazing! i wonder how close the mc chart will be, the pokémon split will make a difference.

with ~100k sold this week i'm surprised at how quickly wii is taking off in japan, i expected a much slower adoption rate. great to see wii sports selling so well, in fact all the first party games have had very good sales. zelda at ~350k is good to know, hopefully it will continue to have good staying power.

LanceStern said:
How is that AWESOME sales for Zelda TP?

It's good, but not awesome. Pick the game up Wii owners!

They should have just released the game on the GC properly and maybe it'll get the total sales it deserves. TP's "low" sales is partly Nintendo's fault too. Afterall they gave Wii Sports and Wii Play far more exposure and they play to the philosophy of the Wii much better.

Top Bottom