• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 1/1 - 1/7

Saoh

mckmas8808 said:
Why are you popping champagne? Did you just have a birthday?

eerr...

pac-list.gif

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This chart is unbelievable. Though I've seen it few hours ago already, I still can't figure out what happened in Japan.

max-pain said:
120k PSP?? What the hell???

Tons of new PSP colors getting dumped onto the market. In addition Metal Gear Portable Ops is doing well and has good word of mouth, plus most stores have stuff up hyping the Feb 22 release of Monster Hunter Portable so folks with some spare cash can pick up a PSP and a good game or two now and get another good game next month.

I wanted to get my gf a new DSL (her DS fat screen is scratced to hell) or a Wii so I was hitting the stores every other day looking for either. I've been pretty unlucky and unable to secure one for her. Although the numbers this week are high for both, they are still supply limited and REALLY hard to get.

Also all the stories about PS3 being readily available is sort of bunk. While it is true that, in Tokyo at least, PS3 is slightly more available than Wii they do eventually sell out. They just dont seem to be getting snapped up immediately as they hit the show floor. (Which sorta makes sense considering the price)

Raw64life

Next week should be a huge drop-off for everything except PS3 and Wii, software and hardware.

Also, it looks like they finally stopped tracking Xbox 1 hardware.

max-pain said:
120k PSP?? What the hell???

Impressive number - if you don't compare PSP to DS it's not had a bad year really. It's still down on the same week (and prior 3) from a year ago though.

12-18 Dec 2005 - 95,689
19-25 Dec 2005 - 161,332
26-1 Jan 2006 - 110,741
2-8 Jan 2006 - 132,757

11-17 Dec 2006 - 48,962
18-24 Dec 2006 - 138,588
25-31 Dec 2006 - 68,675
1-7 Jan 2007 - 118,186

MGS may have single handedly saved PSP in Japan. Unfortunately, I don't think it has the consistency in its lineup to maintain the momentum. The only big games on the horizon are MHF and CCFF7

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Raw64life said:
DS + DSL combined LTD = 14,350,632
GBA + GBASP + GBM combined LTD = 15,303,811
Xbox 1 LTD = 475,613

Less than a million units to go. That's like what, a month and a half?

The_lascar said:
Ok, now.

DS after 6 weeks :

Super Mario 64 DS : 571,160 (36 %)
Wario Ware Touched! : 541,532 (34 %)

Wii after 6 weeks :

Wii Sports : 732,718 (66 %)
Wii Play : 664,512 (60%)

Edit : Source for DBZ Wii numbers ?

Wii Sports and Wii Play attach rate is really high. What is Zelda LTD.

creamsugar said:
DSL 344,878
Wii 195,331
PSP 118,186
PS3 69,944
PS2 52,037
Xbox360 18,235
GBM 3,311
GBASP 2,364
GC 1,258
DS 75
GBA 57

DragonBallZ - Wii - 66,906

Wii shortages seem to be slowing down. And the most impressive thing about its sales is that it doesn't seem to be hurting the DS at all. Almost 350,000 in a week? God damn.

Whoa PSP got revived in the US, now Japan. Good for Sony; now the question for them becomes how can they get it to sell a good number consistantly through the year.

PS3 sales have been down three straight weeks, which seems to point to shortages to me. I can't freaking wait until this problem is over so we can see exactly how it's doing.

Xbox 360...damn. This is a pretty big improvement over what has happening just a couple months ago.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
ddk_ps3 said:
Also all the stories about PS3 being readily available is sort of bunk. While it is true that, in Tokyo at least, PS3 is slightly more available than Wii they do eventually sell out. They just dont seem to be getting snapped up immediately as they hit the show floor. (Which sorta makes sense considering the price)

That's exactly what happens in America. Hmmm....

Bo130

PhoenixDark said:
PS3 sales have been down three straight weeks, which seems to point to shortages to me. I can't freaking wait until this problem is over so we can see exactly how it's doing.

Yes, shortages...

Bo130 said:
Yes, shortages...

Hey, I'm trying to be politically correct in hostile territory, gimme some slack! :p

As far as I'm concerned come Feb. there should be no more shortages, at least in Japan. Until then I'll keep the knives in the kitchen

jimbo

Banned
I feel I need to translate for the masses. This is what everyone should be thinking:

DSL 344,878 WOW!!! The son becomes the father
Wii 195,331 WOW!!!

PSP 118,186 NIIIICE!
PS3 69,944 UH-OH!
PS2 52,037 GOING AND GOING AND GOING
Xbox360 18,235 WOW!!! HELL IS FREEZING!(and a couple of you..."I will never flame Jimbo again...he is GOD" ;p)
GBM 3,311 Should I care?
GBASP 2,364 Should I care?
GC 1,258 Hey look at that!
DS 75 The father becomes dead
GBA 57 Don't give in grandpa...please...just hang in there!

Seriously, it's official. Japan has a new Emperor, and as in all Japanese samurai movies, the old emperor suffers, while the American hero(Tom Cruise) learns how to fight and does some good!

jimbo said:
I feel I need to translate for the masses. This is what everyone should be thinking:

DSL 344,878 WOW!!! The son becomes the father
Wii 195,331 WOW!!!

PSP 118,186 NIIIICE!
PS3 69,944 UH-OH!
PS2 52,037 GOING AND GOING AND GOING
Xbox360 18,235 WOW!!! HELL IS FREEZING!(and a couple of you..."I will never flame Jimbo again...he is GOD" ;p)
GBM 3,311 Should I care?
GBASP 2,364 Should I care?
GC 1,258 Hey look at that!
DS 75 The father becomes dead
GBA 57 Don't give in grandpa...please...just hang in there!

Seriously, it's official. Japan has a new Emperor, and as in all Japanese samurai movies, the old emperor suffers, while the American hero(Tom Cruise) learns how to fight and does some good!

:lol

jimbo

Banned
Seriously,this thread NEEDS some Tom Cruise and The Last Samurai photoshops. It's so perfect.

Just think about it:

So a drunken American war hero has-been(Tom, AKA Xbox) goes to Japan to supposedly "kill some Japs". Gets there and makes a friend of similar tastes(Itagaki) and then gets the shit kicked out of him(Xbox LTD). But alas, a gift from GOD(Bill Gates) spares his life and takes him to meet an old samurai(Sagakuchi) in an old samurai town(Mistwalker). He gets the shit beat out of him again(360 launch). The war hero is now humbled. He learns humility. However.....while there, he learns how to fight(BD + LO production begins) and succeeds at having a small victory over the town bully in a show-off of what he has learned(BD sees good sales).

Want to know what happens to the 360 in Japan? Go watch the rest of the movie, but at some point the Emperor(Nintendo) bows dow to him and they become friends(Wii60 for the win?)

Deku

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Whoa PSP got revived in the US, now Japan. Good for Sony; now the question for them becomes how can they get it to sell a good number consistantly through the year.

Due to the new NPD rules I cannot give you exact numbers or even a guess of what it could be, but PSP Dec 06 and Nov 06 are down from same time last year. It sold well of course, but its down. For further context, it also outsold the DS in 05 December.

Deku said:
Due to the new NPD rules I cannot give you exact numbers or even a guess of what it could be, but PSP Dec 06 and Nov 06 are down from same time last year. It sold well of course, but its down. For further context, it also outsold the DS in 05 December.

I've seen the numbers too son, no need to play Mr. Exclusivo

:p

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
I'm not one to toot my own horn (and the few others like Jimbo) when I said that the Xbox 360 had newfound momentum going into 2007, but looking back at the charts from a few days ago and a couple weeks ago, it's amazing how many people were quick to judge us. We were told that we were staring straight into the face of logic if we were to predict half-way decent sales for our dead system. **** them.

Deku

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
I've seen the numbers too son, no need to play Mr. Exclusivo

:p

I'm not. I'm very humble.
It is difficult to make a point with the old numbers that we can't speak of. :)

sphinx

the piano man
I think some of us can already put some crow in the oven.

I remember writing in the media create of blue dragon's launch that it wouldn't do a single thing to change the 360's performance and that is false.

those 18-20k sales a week is something to be proud of. It was the weekly PSP figure before the christmas season began.

I am glad, I want all to succeed

Pimpwerx

Barf_the_Mog said:
I'm not one to toot my own horn (and the few others like Jimbo) when I said that the Xbox 360 had newfound momentum going into 2007, but looking back at the charts from a few days ago and a couple weeks ago, it's amazing how many people were quick to judge us. We were told that we were staring straight into the face of logic if we were to predict half-way decent sales for our dead system. **** them.
~20k units is the sales performance of a dead system. Hell, I think the Wonderswan managed to sell better than that, and it got shellacked by the GBA over there. In JP, the 360 is as dead as any console could be while still being stocked on shelves. With this new momentum, in a few years the system will be...still dead in Japan. It's nothing on the 360 hardware, it's just that Japan doesn't seem to have any appreciation for the system at all, and I don't think the marginal bump in sales is any indication to the contrary. PEACE.

enishi

duderon said:
Less than a million units to go. That's like what, a month and a half?

Considering Nintendo will ship less in the slow weeks post-holidays, maybe DSL will sell 100k - 150k until the Chinese New Year in mid of Feb.

Then, shortage will become worse for a few weeks (long holidays in China which stop production of DS). And everything restores in mid of March.

That should be the time when DS all LTD > GBA all LTD

btw, PSP may have his chance to outsold DS for 1 week when MHP2 releases on 22 Feb. A large pre-order number is reported and there will be limited bundle pack.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Pimpwerx said:
~20k units is the sales performance of a dead system. Hell, I think the Wonderswan managed to sell better than that, and it got shellacked by the GBA over there. In JP, the 360 is as dead as any console could be while still being stocked on shelves. With this new momentum, in a few years the system will be...still dead in Japan. It's nothing on the 360 hardware, it's just that Japan doesn't seem to have any appreciation for the system at all, and I don't think the marginal bump in sales is any indication to the contrary. PEACE.

All the same, if you were to tell me a few months ago that the 360 would sell 20K a week in January, I would have laughed in your face. Blue Dragon did something significant. Whether console sales will stabilize at this level until LO comes by, I have no idea.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
I thought the same people are making it seem like the Xbox360 is selling like hotcakes.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
u_neek said:
How much did the 360 sell this time last year?

Forgot to post this. Last year.

1. NDS Brain Training 2 290,021 (704,578)
2. NDS Animal Crossing DS 132,991 (1,515,219)
3. NDS Mario Kart DS 114,709 (951,187)
4. NDS Brain Training 113,860 (1,271,730)
5. NDS Mario & Luigi 2 98,434 (231,160)
6. PS2 Kingdom Hearts 2 83,200 (967,629)
7. NDS Gentle Brain Training 62,664 (998,199)
8. NDS Tamagotchi 61,834 (846,371)
9. NDS Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Blue 57,065 (629,923)
10. GBA Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Red 48,729 (607,185)

PSP - 132,757
DS - 91,379
PS2 - 80,886
GBASP - 17,443
GC - 13,423
GBM - 11,818
Xbox360 - 7,477
GBA - 564
Xbox - 156

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80548

It looks like this thread is where the "It prints money" image was first created by none other than Olimario. It may also be the last time the PSP outsold the DS for a week.

jimbo

Banned
Pimpwerx said:

WTF? Now I don't expect the 360 to continue to sell 20k units a week, but if it did that would put it at roughly 100k a month.

How the F*** would that be considered a dead system in the third largest market when the average monthly sales for a third place console is roughly 150k in the biggest market, NA?

Which reality do you live in?

I'm sorry but I think most people living in the real world would consider ANY system averaging 100k a month in Japan very well alive. The 360? A miracle.

360 is not all dead yet. It's half dead, and half...something else. If it were all dead, why even go through the motions, it would be like someone carting around a dead body to the market, talking to it, pretending it's alive. That would just be creepy. MS still has quality games to make on the system there. Mistwalker games being the major ones. In other words, even if it's classified dead by many, it's still alive enough to serve some sort of purpose. (I think their main goal can simply be to be to try as hard as possible to eventually beat the Xbox 1 numbers by the end of it's run).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Raw64life said:
DS + DSL combined LTD = 14,350,632
GBA + GBASP + GBM combined LTD = 15,303,811

Xbox 1 LTD = 475,613
I can't believe it's so close already... heck, the DS could pass the PS2 in Japan by the end of the year at this rate.

jimbo

Banned
BTW, did Viva Pinata still get released yesterday for the 360? If so, doesn't Media Create track first day sales for software? I know it got ho-hum reviews in Japan, but I am still curious to see what it did over there.

apotema

jj984jj said:
I can't believe it's so close already... heck, the DS could pass the PS2 in Japan by the end of the year at this rate.

At this rate, the question should be "Will the DS surpass the NES"?

apotema

jj984jj said:
PS2 already did that though.

Really? I thought NES was at 30 million, guess I got that number from a site with false numbers

Well the question is "Will DS surpass Japan population?"

2600 said:
360 is not all dead yet. It's half dead, and half...something else. If it were all dead, why even go through the motions, it would be like someone carting around a dead body to the market, talking to it, pretending it's alive. That would just be creepy. MS still has quality games to make on the system there. Mistwalker games being the major ones. In other words, even if it's classified dead by many, it's still alive enough to serve some sort of purpose. (I think their main goal can simply be to be to try as hard as possible to eventually beat the Xbox 1 numbers by the end of it's run).
Weekend-at-bernies.jpg

creamsugar said:
DSL 344,878
Wii 195,331
PSP 118,186

PS3 69,944
PS2 52,037
Xbox360 18,235
GBM 3,311
GBASP 2,364
GC 1,258
DS 75
GBA 57

DragonBallZ - Wii - 66,906

360 isn't slowing down its gaining speed post xmas. Rise to "niche" heavens. Wii is doing great. DBZ Wii solid 3rd Party sales.

jimbo said:
Seriously,this thread NEEDS some Tom Cruise and The Last Samurai photoshops. It's so perfect.

Just think about it:

So a drunken American war hero has-been(Tom, AKA Xbox) goes to Japan to supposedly "kill some Japs". Gets there and makes a friend of similar tastes(Itagaki) and then gets the shit kicked out of him(Xbox LTD). But alas, a gift from GOD(Bill Gates) spares his life and takes him to meet an old samurai(Sagakuchi) in an old samurai town(Mistwalker). He gets the shit beat out of him again(360 launch). The war hero is now humbled. He learns humility. However.....while there, he learns how to fight(BD + LO production begins) and succeeds at having a small victory over the town bully in a show-off of what he has learned(BD sees good sales).

Want to know what happens to the 360 in Japan? Go watch the rest of the movie, but at some point the Emperor(Nintendo) bows dow to him and they become friends(Wii60 for the win?)
This has to be one of the best short stories i read(and funiest),way to go jimbo:D .

Credit where it's due: starship, you called that Wii number!

jimbo said:
WTF? Now I don't expect the 360 to continue to sell 20k units a week, but if it did that would put it at roughly 100k a month.

How the F*** would that be considered a dead system in the third largest market when the average monthly sales for a third place console is roughly 150k in the biggest market, NA?

Which reality do you live in?

I'm sorry but I think most people living in the real world would consider ANY system averaging 100k a month in Japan very well alive. The 360? A miracle.
This isn't an average yet, though. This is during THE peak time of the year, following its biggest software release yet. It's a good month for it, but it's a bit early to be extrapolating 100K average months. X360 has had an impressive past 5 weeks, selling 104,868 systems. But that still only brings it slightly above GCN's performance during the same period the previous year (92,709), after which it went on to not even sell 76K in the entirety of 2006. It's a relative miracle, yes, but it's early to say it will last.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Credit where it's due: starship, you called that Wii number!

This isn't an average yet, though. This is during THE peak time of the year, following its biggest software release yet. It's a good month for it, but it's a bit early to be extrapolating 100K average months. X360 has had an impressive past 5 weeks, selling 104,868 systems. But that still only brings it slightly above GCN's performance during the same period the previous year (92,709), after which it went on to not even sell 76K in the entirety of 2006. It's a relative miracle, yes, but it's early to say it will last.

Very true. Also we have yet to see how this month's releases. GOW, VP, Idolmaster and Vampire Rain preform. Will these get typical 360 launch weeks of 10k for hyped titles or will they do better?

Top Bottom