• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 1/1 - 1/7

jimbo

Banned
AniHawk said:
Yeah. It even did almost as well as Metroid Prime. But nobody gloats over sales of 80k TOTAL for a franchise THAT BIG.

Well of course not, but we are talking Xbox in Japan here. 80k on Xbox is like 800k on everything else in Japan.

ethelred

jimbo said:
Well of course not, but we are talking Xbox in Japan here. 80k on Xbox is like 800k on everything else in Japan.

So Blue Dragon is the first million selling next-gen game in Japan?

dyls

AniHawk said:
I'm predicting that the PS3 demand will be held back by supply for a good long while. If it drops down to 20-30k by February, then there's going to be a ginormous problem.

Um, I hate to be the one to have to tell you this...

NY Times (reg. required)

“We can’t keep Wiis in our stores,” said Naoko Ito, a spokeswoman for Bic Camera, one of Japan’s largest electronics retailers. “But we still have plenty of PlayStations.”

At a Yodobashi Camera store in the northern city of Sendai, deputy manager Satoshi Hino said Wii machines were selling out as fast as they arrived. He said shoppers had bought up last week’s shipments of 3,000 Wii consoles within an hour, but the store had yet to sell many of the 3,000 PlayStation 3s received at the same time.

“Shoppers still line up for Wii, but not for PlayStation 3 anymore,” Mr. Hino said, referring to the long lines that initially greeted PlayStation 3’s November rollout.

Krowley

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm expecting Wii to trend just like the DS.

We're going to see a little bit of a dip while Nintendo sorts out their supply problems and dry spell and then bang...80k per week in Japan average until September, when the Wii really takes off.

That's what i'm thinking as well... I can see the wii lagging in the early part of this year and then picking up at some point on the strength of whatever new games come out.

One advantage for wii though is nintendo's expierience with the DS..

It took them a while to come out with nintendogs which turned the DS into an instant success. There was nothing at launch which really took off like that. On the wii, they have wii sports right out of the gate and i think it has the potential for a nintendogs-style impact.

They can basicly use the last year or so with the DS to study what kinds of games sell in japan right now and deliver those expieriences on wii much more quickly.

So basicly instead of feeling around for a japanese killer app, i'm betting they have several potential candidates already in production.

I swear, for the exception of Square-Enix and Rockstar, third parties just don't have a clue. First party published games is what's making the XBox 360 a success. Heck, first party published games is what made the original XBox a success. The same goes for the DS and the same will be said for the Wii (everyone's waiting for Nintendo, not some third party, to create another killer app for their console).

If this isn't a testament that third-parties in general don't have a clue and are lazy, then I don't know what is.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Sorry about my previous post regarding Anihawk's predictions - it didn't make sense. I meant to ask him why he was predicting that the PS3 weekly average might outdo the Wii's.

Branduil

ethelred said:
So Blue Dragon is the first million selling next-gen game in Japan?

Hooray for lowered standards.

I thin jimbo and LanceStern should have a duel to the death over the definition of "success."

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
It wouldn't completely shock me if PS3 and Wii numbers were very close to each other in the following months. People have to remember that the disparity between the DS and other platforms is a relatively new phenomenon. Before, it was considered a big lead when one platform was leading another by 20 or 30K per week in the slower parts of the year prior to mid 2005.

dyls said:
Um, I hate to be the one to have to tell you this...

NY Times (reg. required)

great post, this was unexpected for Japan though (PS3s staying on the shelves)

damn I hate NY Times even with bugmenot they still find a way to ask for login again and again

Ceebs

JoshuaJSlone said:
Bernie (Microsoft/Xbox) wants to neutralize the threat of two underlings (less-monetarily-endowed Nintendo and Sony) by buying them off. He invites them to his island retreat (Japan), but ends up dead there before they even arrive. Richard (Sony) wants to wipe his hands of the situation, but Larry (Nintendo) wants to keep the corpse around to enjoy a few days of partying (make GameCube sales seem more impressive by comparison).

In the sequel, Bernie (X360) is dead from the beginning, but can become animated if you play the right type of music (Uematsu).

Awesome! More things need to be given the Weekend at Bermies treatment

SO...Sony shipped Japanese PS3s over to the States and there are surplusses in Japan...!?
And w/ no major titles to sustain the PS3 I expect it to begin to plummet next week (this week is the last week of holiday sales)...
It's gonna be interesting...as Japan always is.

Abso-freaking-lutely great numbers for the Nintendo DS. Look at how many titles are getting over the 300k!!!

I can almost agree with jimbo that 100-150k would be seen as bad. Actually i CAN agree unless it's titles that generally weren't supposed to do awesome in the beginning. Digimon doing > 200k, Harvest moon doing betweek 130k... that's good for those type of titles.

Now let's get some 3rd party games that aren't Square or Namco to go over 300k and I'll be completely satisfied with the DS. I'm kind of scared 3rd parties might get intimatidated into making um.... non-games (lack of words) instead of real games if they keep getting ignored like this.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
LanceStern said:
Abso-freaking-lutely great numbers for the Nintendo DS. Look at how many titles are getting over the 300k!!!

I can almost agree with jimbo that 100-150k would be seen as bad. Actually i CAN agree unless it's titles that generally weren't supposed to do awesome in the beginning. Digimon doing > 200k, Harvest moon doing betweek 130k... that's good for those type of titles.

Now let's get some 3rd party games that aren't Square or Namco to go over 300k and I'll be completely satisfied with the DS. I'm kind of scared 3rd parties might get intimatidated into making um.... non-games (lack of words) instead of real games if they keep getting ignored like this.
There are lots of 3rd party non-games that are selling much worse than real games.

In regards to Blue Dragon sales.... that's like a million seller for the 360 when compared with previous titles. It's gotta be over 120k LTD now which is pretty gosh darn good.

jj984jj said:
There are lots of 3rd party non-games that are sell much worse than real games.

Yea but there are a lot of non-games in general that seem to have an easier job in getting sales than regular/quirky games.

SuomiDude

LanceStern said:
In regards to Blue Dragon sales.... that's like a million seller for the 360 when compared with previous titles. It's gotta be over 120k LTD now which is pretty gosh darn good.
But did those sales pay back the development costs of the game? I'm just wondering. It's always nice to see good games to sell well (no matter which console), but I'm just not sure if those BD sales are nearly enough (ok, it's just Japan right now, so other regions will add to that, but will it still be enough as the game looks a bit too Japanese for other regions).

LanceStern said:
Yea but there are a lot of non-games in general that seem to have an easier job in getting sales than regular/quirky games.

A grand total of ONE company has made any nongames that have met great success.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cvxfreak said:
I'd argue IE and Rocket's Kanji software have been pretty successful.
They concentrate on non-games so Lance's concerns don't include them anyway.

ethelred said:
I don't think those sold 300k, did they?
:lol Good point.

soundwave05 said:
If any system's have supply problems in Japan it will be the Wii and DS, not PS3 IMO.

The reality of that price point is going to hit them hard in every market now that the holiday rush is over. Their release list doesn't really help either.

I think like the DS, Iwata can see the blood in the water and knows this is their chance in Japan. Look for them to turn it up a notch or two in Japan especailly around spring time with new colors for the Wii and that all-important second wave of games. This is precisely what Nintendo has waited for since 1996 in Japan.

Japan is Nintendo's to take, it's just a question of how bad they want it.

Yeah, I agree. Nintendo is waiting this moment since 1996 and I don't think they will lose this occasion to take the leadership in Japan again.
As I have already said, the big work has been the Nintendo DS. Now the Wii is literally "surfing" on Nintendo DS path.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but at this point, looking at how Wii Sports and Wii Play are selling in the long term, I think that Nintendo is on track to make the Wii an incredible success machine, in Japan. And Third Parties are the only that will lose on that, because, like the Nintendo DS, they are waiting too much. I expect strong Square-Enix and Sega support, because they are the only one that saw the potential of Nintendo DS. Look at the userbase of the Wii and look at the userbase of the PS3. What machine is more profitable right now ? If you include the development cost and the installed base (and how fast these last are growing). then, for the moment, the Wii is the obvious choice.
Of course, the market can change again and very fast. But now a trend is estabilished and Third Parties are not ready to follow the train.
Anyway, 2007 will be interesting.

SuomiDude said:
But did those sales pay back the development costs of the game? I'm just wondering. It's always nice to see good games to sell well (no matter which console), but I'm just not sure if those BD sales are nearly enough (ok, it's just Japan right now, so other regions will add to that, but will it still be enough as the game looks a bit too Japanese for other regions).

Game sales alone will probably not even have covered the advertising budget, but you can`t underestimate the mindshare impact. MS really needs to keep beating home toeveryone in Japan that they are still there and not about to pull out (gamers and developers).

BD is the ultimate "we are here and we will make games you will like " statement. If MS wasn`t doing this, they would be killing off potential Xbox business for the NEXT MS console.

Eventually, if MS wins in NA, then it will be easier to convince JPN developers that they should be making 360 games (see capcom), and this in turn can drive 360 sales in japan. IF 360 endsabove xbox LTD in japan, then thats progress,even if it was won at a high cost. MS would settle for 1st in NA, second in europe, and double xbox sales in japan.

Hero

I still remember back when the DS was first announced and how Nintendo was touting it as the 'third pillar' of their business strategy along with the Gamecube and the Game Boy Advance.

Amazing how in such a short amount of time the DS has not only exceeded expectations, but completely has Japan trapped in its dual screens.

So for 2007, here are some predictions for Japan:

- Xbox 360 will practically drop off the face of the Earth
- Nintendo DS will probably revert back to a 'reasonable' 100-150K per week.
- If Nintendo can keep up the hype and get a healthy release schedule for it, I can see it doing 50K-100K a week until production stabalizes.
- PSP will slowly begin to drop as more and more support shifts from it to the DS. Only possible source of more sales would be something FF related.

Pureauthor said:
Not my problem.

Rocket Kanji I recognize. IE, though?

A tad off-topic but: Pureauthor, I just noticed, you've made 3,400+ posts just w/n the last seven months!!?
That's like more than even CVXFreak and he never sleeps! I can respond to one of his posts and he's there w/n three minutes w/ a response no matter what time of day...!
How can people not take breaks from the GAF?

...taht's what, 18 posts a day! That's about how many bans I get a month...!

ethelred said:
I don't think those sold 300k, did they?

Rocket Kanji has sold more than 300k, and it had a boost during the end of the year (the game entered back the famitsu chart with over 60k units sold in 2 weeks), meanwhile the IE Kanji game is selling very well and probably it will reach 300k mark too in the long run.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
If someone could be so kind, I'm looking to get hold of all the MC hardware data going back as far as possible. Please PM me if you can help. Thanks

hw0107jandm3.jpg

hwmanu0107janug8.jpg

hwtotal2006jy4.jpg

hwmanutotal2006fs4.jpg

jimbo said:
It just baffled me that someone would think that if a console sells 100k units a month on average, would be considered dead in Japan, the worlds third largest market, when consoles that are very much considered alive don't sell much more than that a month in the US on average, which is the world's largest market.

As you said yourself

jimbo said:
Which reality do you live in?

He didn't say a system selling 20k a week is a dead system. He said a system selling 20k in the 2nd biggest week of the year is a dead system...and it would also be a dead system if it sold that much in the 2nd biggest week of the year in the US.

Worse than 20k hardware sold is the lack of any X360 software in the top 50 software chart :/

smallsoft

Japan is Sony's to lose, not Microsoft's. I doubt anyone in the Redmond office is losing any sleep over these numbers...On the other hand, SCEJ should be very alarmed.

JMPovoa

Great to see Xbox360 selling 18k in a week in a post christmas period. Bodes well for its future in Japan. Could they get to a million sold this year?

JMPovoa

MrSardonic said:
:lol just 800k to go

Yeah, but just as a joke calculation ( :D ):

18k * 4.33 (average number of weeks per month) * 12 months = 935.28k

Sure, it'll have its ups and downs during the year, but is it that out of the question? :)

JMPovoa said:
Yeah, but just as a joke calculation ( :D ):

18k * 4.33 (average number of weeks per month) * 12 months = 935.28k

Sure, it'll have its ups and downs during the year, but is it that out of the question? :)

Not out of the question, just highly unlikely. It wuld require at least one major exclusive from an established franchise, which seems unlikely at this point

Neomoto

My god, they way the DS is shitting on everything is absolutely ridiculous. Nintendo takes the whole ****ing top 15?! Incredible! AND they could have had the WHOLE ****ing top 25 if not for 3 'other' games! o_0 :lol + 40/50 on Nintendo platforms (Dengeki). What. the. ****. :lol

Nintendo is taking a such a shit on everything that I just can't believe it. And this is just Japan. Nintendo: Happy new year, Sony! :lol ;)

hiryu

I swear, for the exception of Square-Enix and Rockstar, third parties just don't have a clue. First party published games is what's making the XBox 360 a success.

Uumm..Call of Duty 2, Ghost Recon, Oblivion, and Dead Rising say your are wrong.

linsivvi

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yeah, I agree. Nintendo is waiting this moment since 1996 and I don't think they will lose this occasion to take the leadership in Japan again.
As I have already said, the big work has been the Nintendo DS. Now the Wii is literally "surfing" on Nintendo DS path.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but at this point, looking at how Wii Sports and Wii Play are selling in the long term, I think that Nintendo is on track to make the Wii an incredible success machine, in Japan. And Third Parties are the only that will lose on that, because, like the Nintendo DS, they are waiting too much. I expect strong Square-Enix and Sega support, because they are the only one that saw the potential of Nintendo DS. Look at the userbase of the Wii and look at the userbase of the PS3. What machine is more profitable right now ? If you include the development cost and the installed base (and how fast these last are growing). then, for the moment, the Wii is the obvious choice.
Of course, the market can change again and very fast. But now a trend is estabilished and Third Parties are not ready to follow the train.
Anyway, 2007 will be interesting.

I would say Nintendo even have head start on Wii, compared to the DS, as games like Brain Training, Nintendog and AC weren't even available at launch.

Link

The Autumn Wind
LanceStern said:

LanceStern said:
So Blue Dragon is a success to you at 120k, but DS games -- which are made at a small fraction of the cost -- aren't unless they sell over 300k?

You really need to drop this dumbass argument.

Link said:
So Blue Dragon is a success to you at 120k, but DS games -- which are made at a small fraction of the cost -- aren't unless they sell over 300k?

It will make money through overseas sales. The thing is unlike nintendo MS doesn't care about making money at this stage of the game. They never expected to break even with the title on japanese sales. Even their goal of 200k doesn't pay for it. MS wants to give japanese the best game possible regardless of the cost because MS will do anything to get more of a following in japan.

JMPovoa

Someone needs to make it so portables and non-portables have their separate charts. This is getting ridiculous! :lol

Link said:

Link I would think you would be mild-mannered enough to think clearly. But before I start, are you subscribed to TEVS?

Anyways, maybe you have a memory lapse even though I've said this at least OVER TEN TIMES ALREADY IN PREVIOUS MC THREADS.

The games success definition can change depending on the game itself and how well one would initially think it would do in the market. Plus the installed base of the console factors in as well and that consoles history of software sales. I believe I attempted to make an equation out of it.

BD --> Small 360 fanbase --> 360 software is HORRIBLE in Japan --> Company expected 100k

It sold at least 120,000 on 360s fanbase of 250,000. That means almost HALF of the 360 owners bought it. Don't tell me that's not a success

JMPovoa said:
Someone needs to make it so portables and non-portables have their separate charts. This is getting ridiculous! :lol

I can tell you how the portable chart would look like:

1) DS
2) DS
9) DS
10) DS

AniHawk said:
For the new year...

I'm gonna guess that the DSL will stabilize at around 100k again, while the Wii will probably post weekly sales of about 40k-50k. The PSP will go down to 20k levels, the PS2 will go below those, and the PS3 will stay around 50k as long as Japan keeps getting systems.

The 360 is going to go back down to 5k at the most unless Blue Dragon did more than people thought.

Of course, the sales for last week are going to be quite huge. I'm talking about February/March.

The PS3 will probably sell even less than that. There's absolutely no software driving PS3 sales right now in Japan, and I don't see any games on the horizon that'll change that. Instead I think it'll smart selling like the PSP was just a couple months ago, 25,00-40,000 a week.

The Wii has momentum right now, and Wii Sports/Wii Play seem to be following the Brain Age/Animal Crossing path of long legs, but what else is on the horizon that can drive that system? Pokemon Wii didn't really break the trend of console Pokemon games selling signifigantly worse than handheld versions. Warioware seems to have good legs. But what else is there on the way?

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Frankfurter said:
I can tell you how the portable chart would look like:

1) DS
2) DS
9) DS
10) DS
And in a few months the non portable charts would look like this:

1) Wii
2) Wii
9) Wii