• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 1/1 - 1/7

Busaiku

PhoenixDark said:
The PS3 will probably sell even less than that. There's absolutely no software driving PS3 sales right now in Japan, and I don't see any games on the horizon that'll change that. Instead I think it'll smart selling like the PSP was just a couple months ago, 25,00-40,000 a week.

The Wii has momentum right now, and Wii Sports/Wii Play seem to be following the Brain Age/Animal Crossing path of long legs, but what else is on the horizon that can drive that system? Pokemon Wii didn't really break the trend of console Pokemon games selling signifigantly worse than handheld versions. Warioware seems to have good legs. But what else is there on the way?
There's Cooking Mama, Naruto, and Fire Emblem coming out in February.

The DS on the other hand --> A phenomenon in Japan --> Installed base is HUGE --> Nintendo has lots of software success on it.

So when games come out and release... actual games with beginning and endings, with some sort of story to save or DO something with protagonists and antagonists.... GAMES; so when games come out like Children of Mana, a title that came out in March with the launch of DSLite just a few months after the DS craze started, and it only sells 109,000 the open week while titles like Brain Age and English Training and Brain Age 2 kick its ***? That's worrisome.

You know guys, now that I think about it, the game that started this whole 300k for me was Children of Mana for the DS. It had the correct artstyle, the right genre, the perfect publisher, the right system to be released on and the right time, but did less than 300k Lifetime TO THIS DAY.

That's what started it all. Now I won't say EVERY DS title that does less than 300k is a failure. Let me repeat: EVERY DS TITLE THAT DOES < 300k IS NOT A FAILURE. Matter of fact, the way things are going I might just lower it to 200k. But the same factors I talked about with the 360 applies to the DS as well. >70k on the 360 is great because Japan hates the system and 360 barely has any fanbase.

The DS has 14 million freaking costumers (and some change), and you mean to tell me quality titles or titles that SHOULD HAVE done well (I mean out of 14 million people, not even 300 thousand of them wanted the title) (Tales of Tempest, Mushikings, Magical Starsign, Kirby Canvas curse, Chocobo and the magic book, Egg monster heroes, NARUTO?, BLEACH?) I mean COME ON.

Once again ever DS title < 300k isn't a failure. Titles like Harvest Moon with its low budget, low key, no advertising, used-to-low-sales franchise reputation selling over 200k is great. Also I'm pleased with Lost MAgic in the US and Japan (> 30k in Japan, > 50k in US) and multiple other DS titles.

But then we see some titles where publishers try to try new quality stuff (Contact, Magic Starsign) that look like a sure hit, and BAM they get kicked right in the balls by no-one buying htem. i wouldn't expect them to go to 300k, but not even 100k people would buy it. That worries me when that same month a bunch of non-games can sell the 100k easily and they get left in the dust.

I can't talk for developers or publishers, but I'd take a hard look at what to develop if my game sold crappy and this "other" type of game that's been out for a year keeps doing > 100k....

ethelred

Busaiku said:
There's Cooking Mama, Naruto, and Fire Emblem coming out in February.

Dragon Quest Swords is supposed to have, last I heard, a spring release.

That game has the potential to do huge numbers. I mean, really... I can't think of any Dragon Quest spinoff that hasn't cracked 300k at least (that's what Rocket Slime and Young Yangus pulled, and they're the lower points). With the crazy popularity of the Wii right now, how awesome the game looks, and the likely marketing push Square Enix will give it (I'd expect something comparable to Joker)... like I said, could be huge.

LanceStern said:
So when games come out and release... actual games with beginning and endings, with some sort of story to save or DO something with protagonists and antagonists.... GAMES

Like Tetris and Pong and Animal Crossing.

LanceStern said:
so when games come out like Children of Mana, a title that came out in March with the launch of DSLite just a few months after the DS craze started, and it only sells 109,000 the open week while titles like Brain Age and English Training and Brain Age 2 kick its ***? That's worrisome.

No it's not. They're appealing to a wider demographic. How much sleep do you lose each night over Madden's success in the US?

LanceStern said:
You know guys, now that I think about it, the game that started this whole 300k for me was Children of Mana for the DS. It had the correct artstyle, the right genre, the perfect publisher, the right system to be released on and the right time, but did less than 300k Lifetime TO THIS DAY.

And has been pointed out to you over and over and over and over and over again, 300k is a good number for an RPG to pull in.

Once again, Lance, Children of Mana has outsold Front Mission 4 and 5, Persona 3, Xenosaga 2 and 3, Arc the Lad 4 and Generations, every Atelier game ever, Breath of Fire 5, Dark Cloud 2, Disgaea and Disgaea 2, Drakengard 1 and 2, Final Fantasy XI, every Fullmetal Alchemist game, Grandia 3 and X, every Growlanser game, Phantasy Star Universe, Makai Kingdom, Shin Megami Tensei 3, Devil Summoner, Digital Devil Saga, Suikoden 5, Wild Arms 3 and 4 and 5 and ACF... but it's a failure because it didn't hit 300k.

Right.

For that matter, it's still outsold Seiken Densetsu IV. But complete failure without 300k.

****ing complete lack of perspective.

LanceStern said:
Egg monster heroes

It pulls in 80k on the PS2 and 95k on the DS and suddenly on the DS it's a complete failure and oh crap Japan, we've got a worrisome picture here.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
LanceStern said:
Link I would think you would be mild-mannered enough to think clearly. But before I start, are you subscribed to TEVS?

Anyways, maybe you have a memory lapse even though I've said this at least OVER TEN TIMES ALREADY IN PREVIOUS MC THREADS.

The games success definition can change depending on the game itself and how well one would initially think it would do in the market. Plus the installed base of the console factors in as well and that consoles history of software sales. I believe I attempted to make an equation out of it.

BD --> Small 360 fanbase --> 360 software is HORRIBLE in Japan --> Company expected 100k

It sold at least 120,000 on 360s fanbase of 250,000. That means almost HALF of the 360 owners bought it. Don't tell me that's not a success
BD was supposed to be the savior of X360 in Japan, but it isn't and it won't.
BD was a failure considering a huge budget spent on it. It wont sell like hotcakes in western territories so at the end its not going to break even.
With a great deal (BD bundle at the same price of a core system) and a huge budget spent on this game, it couldn't sell more than 30-50k X360s in Japan which is not great at all.

IMO Lost Odyssey has a lesser chance in Japan but at least it can sell a lot more in western territories.

Mato

I was just daydreaming... imagine if there is like a vast network of alien civilizations somewhere else far away from us, and they like live in multiple giant planets, thousands of times bigger than ours, so there's a population of a 1.000.000 x trillion persons. Now imagine that the hottest item there (similar to the DSL), at this period in time is something that sells 5000 billion units per week. Now DSL sales seem pretty insignificant, no? I'm just messing around

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Mato said:
I was just daydreaming... imagine if there is like a vast network of alien civilizations somewhere else far away from us, and they like live in multiple giant planets, thousands of times bigger than ours, so there's a population of a 1.000.000 x trillion persons. Now imagine that the hottest item there (similar to the DSL), at this period in time is something that sells 5000 billion units per week. Now DSL sales seem pretty insignificant, no? I'm just messing around
And they say drugs don't work......

starship said:
BD was supposed to be the savior of X360 in Japan, but it isn't and it won't.
BD was a failure considering a huge budget spent on it. It wont sell like hotcakes in western territories so at the end its not going to break even.
With a great deal (BD bundle at the same price of a core system) and a huge budget spent on this game, it couldn't sell more than 30-50k X360s in Japan which is not great at all.

IMO Lost Odyssey has a lesser chance in Japan but at least it can sell a lot more in western territories.

Blue Dragon for all intents and purposes HAS saved the 360 so far. I mean, the 360 is selling over 15,000 over the past 4 weeks in Japan when last time it was doing less than 2,000.

I'd say it was a great savior.

Ethelred, how the freak can those PS2 RPGs NOT sell over 300k when the PS2 has a freakin 20 million fanbase?

And another thing I forgot to bring into my argument is the realization (though I knew for a littl ebit of time) that even GBA games didn't do too hot in Japan.

Now that you bring up those other games sales, I think I might just be convinced that the DS games sold decently.... well yea they sold decently but I'm still not satisfied.

However, I'll concede this point. If those PS2 games didn't do over 300k, then I weep for Japan and it's god**** ****in idiot of a fanbase, not the DS.

PAWNED

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
LanceStern said:
Blue Dragon for all intents and purposes HAS saved the 360 so far. I mean, the 360 is selling over 15,000 over the past 4 weeks in Japan when last time it was doing less than 2,000.

Ethelred, how the freak can those PS2 RPGs NOT sell over 300k when the PS2 has a freakin 20 million fanbase?

And another thing I forgot to bring into my argument is the realization (though I knew for a littl ebit of time) that even GBA games didn't do too hot in Japan.

Now that you bring up those other games sales, I think I might just be convinced that the DS games sold decently.... well yea they sold decently but I'm still not satisfied.

However, I'll concede this point. If those PS2 games didn't do over 300k, then I weep for Japan and it's god**** ****in idiot of a fanbase, not the DS.

PAWNED

It's the ****ing holiday season, the sales of all consoles increase.

Did you not notice with, oh i don't know, ALL previous consoles games only sell to a small portion of the fanbase. This is worldwide not just Japan, buddy.

ethelred

LanceStern said:

Because not everyone likes RPGs? Because people enjoy different kinds of games? Some enjoy platformers, maybe? Perhaps a few action games? Maybe some survival horrors? Maybe some mech games? Maybe some love simulators and pachislots? Maybe some sports games? People have different tastes? Any of this striking you as plausible, Lance?

The better question is how the **** can you come into a sales thread and purport to be seriously interested in analysis of sales and RPGs when you don't even have a freaking clue how any of these games are selling? You put together this spreadsheet, but do you ever even look at the numbers on it outside of your precious DS?

LanceStern said:

That EVIL RACIST JAPAN, they like things beyond what I like. HOW DARE THEY.

ethelred said:
Because not everyone likes RPGs? Because people enjoy different kinds of games? Some enjoy platformers, maybe? Perhaps a few action games? Maybe some survival horrors? Maybe some mech games? Maybe some love simulators and pachislots? Maybe some sports games? People have different tastes? Any of this striking you as plausible, Lance?

The better question is how the **** can you come into a sales thread and purport to be seriously interested in analysis of sales and RPGs when you don't even have a freaking clue how any of these games are selling? You put together this spreadsheet, but do you ever even look at the numbers on it outside of your precious DS?

Because my initial love of sales and my FOREVER love of sales will ALWAYS be Nintendo. I don't give a **** about those 3rd party, selling-like-I-only-have-a-5-million-fanbase RPGS on the PS2. I don't care for them.

And actually I did tracka tiny few of them. I just never bothered to compare them to the DS >_>.

Anyways for you first paragraph, maybe I'm just big on percentages... but NOT even 5 ****in percent of the owners care enough for one RPG to buy it outside of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest (talking about PS2 here). FIVE FREAKING PERCENT? Not EVEN THREE PERCENT of the people, 300k out of those 20 million owners can't get off their lazy bums and buy an RPG?

And you can't say they just like other genres, because THOSE don't even sell very well in Japan.

Arrgh it hurts my head!

DS Japan > 100k
---------------------

NOTE: please ignore the 3 different versions of Nintengos LTD. And if anyone has any numbers to add to that, see some discrepancies, let me know

Thank you brak

JapanTops-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Brak

Just off the top of my head it seems you're missing Jump Ultimate Stars and Pokemon Dash... I'm sure there's more if I really thought about it.

EDIT: Project H.A.C.K.E.R. & Nintendo's second cookbook thing

starship

LanceStern said:

PAWNED
Holiday shopping season, thats it. If it can keep 360 sales above 10k for next months, then I'll call it a system seller worth the amount of money spent on it. It caused a surge in hardware sales but that was marginal and didn't worth all that money ($26m without even counting ads budgets.)

Brak

starship said:
Holiday shopping season, thats it. If it can keep 360 sales above 10k for next months, then I'll call it a system seller worth the amount of money spent on it. It caused a surge in hardware sales but that was marginal and didn't worth all that money ($26m without even counting ads budgets.)
Did Blue Dragon really cost $26 Million? That's just retarded....

VerTiGo

Banned
Brak said:

Yeah, but seriously... how big of a jump do you think Blue Dragon could've caused? I think the increase is significant and Microsoft has been a company that is willing to take the hit in order to increase its marketshare in every territory, no matter how long it'll take. In Japan, MS' only option are baby steps of progress.

LanceStern said:
NOTE: please ignore the 3 different versions of Nintengos LTD. And if anyone has any numbers to add to that, let me know

Love & Berry is 778k
Cooking Navi is 691k
Kanji Quiz from IE Institute is 221k
Rockman D/P/L is 219k
Mushiking 1 is 191k
Jump Ultimate Stars and Pokemon Dash and M&L RPG 2 are missing

and this are Famitsu sales, you have MC sales which are latest... but i noticed you also have some data coming from Famitsu, and i fear you have also ioi data... a chart which mixes many sources is not so reliable...

Brak said:

I doubt they'll ever make that money back, even after it comes to the US. Mistwalker is a pretty small company too so it's not like they have any big time franchises to cash in on and fund their more ambitious projects.

That type of business isn't going to work, and it's a reason why I feel many companies are going to disappear this generation unless they get smarter

Hereafter said:
Then compare how much each of them sold :)
Compare the intstalled base,how many ps1 in japan in the time of release of ff9(and a known franchise) and how many 360 in japan in time of release of bd.

Brak

sephiroth6 said:
Compare the intstalled base,how many ps1 in japan in the time of release of ff9(and a known franchise) and how many 360 in japan in time of release of bd.
But that is the exact stuff you should be looking at when you are preparing a budget for a game. Whether Blue Dragon is an excellent game or not is entirely irrelevent. Just ask Sega about Shenmue.....

PhoenixDark: I totally agree. I think we're going to see more and more companies evaporating and/or being swallowed up by EA/MS/whoever.

Moor-Angol said:
Love & Berry is 778k
Cooking Navi is 691k
Kanji Quiz from IE Institute is 221k
Rockman D/P/L is 219k
Mushiking 1 is 191k
Jump Ultimate Stars and Pokemon Dash and M&L RPG 2 are missing

and this are Famitsu sales, you have MC sales which are latest... but i noticed you also have some data coming from Famitsu, and i fear you have also ioi data... a chart which mixes many sources is not so reliable...

Yea it's very hard to choose which to believe: Famitsu or Media Create.
A pick chunk of me wants to stick to Famitsu because they have more accesible numbers with its Top 30.

Then again, they tend to undertrack my favorite titles :(

I updated the chart, but I thought I already had M&L and Mushiking there. Where did you get cooking navi at 691k? Is it in the top 100 sales topic?
I don't believed I used ioi numbers anywhere... I can't trust them

Hereafter

sephiroth6 said:

You spend $26 million on developing a game you better determine you can get that back (unless you're Sega). User base, console popularity, genre popularity, etc etc should all be taken into account before the game is made.

linsivvi

LanceStern said:
Anyways for you first paragraph, maybe I'm just big on percentages... but NOT even 5 ****in percent of the owners care enough for one RPG to buy it outside of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest (talking about PS2 here). FIVE FREAKING PERCENT? Not EVEN THREE PERCENT of the people, 300k out of those 20 million owners can't get off their lazy bums and buy an RPG?

You rationale is completely flawed. Have you looked at the number of games released on the PS2 every month? It's very safe to say that most of the 20 million owners are not going to go out and buy a RPG every month, and there are almost one decent or great RPG released on the PS2 every month. It's called competition. All those RPGs that didn't sell 300K are competiting against each others. How many J-RPGs are there on the 360?

Hmm, I'm gonna hold off on mailing TEVS for a while, I gotta get this stuff straightened out:

- Media Create or Famitsu Sales? Perhaps I'll just have to make separate tabs for each one.
- Make 2007 Tabs for everything
- Use macros now.

Arrgh >_<

linsivvi said:
You rationale is completely flawed. Have you looked at the number of games released on the PS2 every month? It's very safe to say that most of the 20 million owners are not going to go out and buy a RPG every month, and there are almost one decent or great RPG released on the PS2 every month. It's called competition. All those RPGs that didn't sell 300K are competiting against each others. How many J-RPGs are there on the 360?

What is there 2-3 JRPGS on the 360?
I'd hate to get into another argument (and be banned) for defining JRPGs, so is Enchanted arms counted as one?

Anyways, perhaps my standards are too high >_>
If it's a crime to expect 120%, then gosh darn it handcuff me and throw away the key

ethelred

linsivvi said:

It's like Econ 101 in here.

THIS is what hinders me from going to Famitsu:

Famitsu:
02. (DS / Nintendo) New Super Mario Brothers - 3.818.214
03. (DS / Nintendo) More Brain Training - 3.748.638
04. (DS / Nintendo) Animal Crossing - 3.655.021

Media-Create:
New Super Mario Bros - 3,986,506
Animal Crossing: Wild World - 3,843,832
Brain Age 2 - 3,805,787

I HATE what Famitsu has done to NSMB and Animal Crossing.

Brak said:
But that is the exact stuff you should be looking at when you are preparing a budget for a game. Whether Blue Dragon is an excellent game or not is entirely irrelevent. Just ask Sega about Shenmue.....

PhoenixDark: I totally agree. I think we're going to see more and more companies evaporating and/or being swallowed up by EA/MS/whoever.
All i care about is great games (shenmue was a wonderful game) regardless of the money they spend so i vote for more games like this instead of milking franchises and horrible games that sell great:).

Lance, what the Hell are you doing? You never cared about anything other than that magic 300,000 number. and yet you're now saying BD is a success because it sold 120,000 copies?

You never cared about how much money is made, but now you're focusing on its attach ratio.

A Link to the Snitch said:
Lance, what the Hell are you doing? You never cared about anything other than that magic 300,000 number. and yet you're now saying BD is a success because it sold 120,000 copies?

You never cared about how much money is made, but now you're focusing on its attach ratio.

ARRGH!!! Look at my PREVIOUS posts in the LAST MEDIA CREATE TOPICS!!!!

I 've been saying I'm impressed with Digimon, Lost Magic, Harvest Moon, and other low-key DS titles even though they sold less than 300k) for the longest time!

Someone quote them PLEASE! *I have dial-up >_>*

Brak

sephiroth6 said:
All i care about is great games (shenmue was a wonderful game) regardless of the money they spend so i vote for more games like this instead of milking franchises and horrible games that sell great:).
If the companies aren't fiscally responsible they will go out of business and you won't get any more games.

It's difficult to monetize the quality of a game, but realistically Blue Dragon should not have cost more than $10 Million if it wanted to break even. I'm not trying to hinder your enjoyment of BD, I just think it's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a game that will be lucky to sell 1 million copies worldwide.

starship

Business is business.
If a game's production costs > revenue it made, then its a failure no matter how you want to spin it.
Also as I mentioned tens of times, it couldn't sell a lot of hardwares.
Xbox did almost 60k during 4 weeks back in late 2002 (last 3 weeks of 2002 and first week of 2003) without any effort from Microsoft. Now Microsoft has spent a lot of money on this game and offer a big deal (you can buy a 360 and BD at the same price as a Wii and Wii Sports) but the sales were ~ 70k which is slightly above Xbox sales back in 2002.
Except the fist week with sales of 35k, BD couldn't do anything significant for 360 in Japan.

Raw64life

LanceStern said:

Famitsu:

Media-Create:

Just stick to one or the other, or ideally, do both and put them in seperate tabs.

LanceStern said:
ARRGH!!! Look at my PREVIOUS posts in the LAST MEDIA CREATE TOPICS!!!!

I 've been saying I'm impressed with Digimon, Lost Magic, Harvest Moon, and other low-key DS titles even though they sold less than 300k) for the longest time!

Someone quote them PLEASE! *I have dial-up >_>*

Lance, if you continue with this foolish attitude, this thread will not end well.....for you.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
LanceStern said:
So when games come out and release... actual games with beginning and endings, with some sort of story to save or DO something with protagonists and antagonists.... GAMES;
(snip)

So this is your definition of a game? So to you the genres of sports games, puzzle games, simulation games, and driving games aren't actually games now?

linsivvi

GreenGlowingGoo said:
So this is your definition of a game? So to you the genres of sports games, puzzle games, simulation games, and driving games aren't actually games now?

Not to mention that Pong and Pacman and Space Invaders have also become non-games. :lol

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
LanceStern said:

Famitsu:

Media-Create:

So you mix and match your numbers to suit what you like?

Top Bottom