• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 1/1 - 1/7

Even though sports games, puzzle games etc. have endings and protagonists/antagonists in a sense. I meant to retract my definition. It was amde on a whim.

And I'm done making points for the day, people just keep quoting my posts >_>
Just don't ban me moderators... though that would give me time to work on the TEVs.

I got a lot of work done during that month...

LanceStern said:
Even though sports games, puzzle games etc. have endings and protagonists/antagonists in a sense. I meant to retract my definition. It was amde on a whim.

And I'm done making points for the day, people just keep quoting my posts >_>
Just don't ban me moderators... though that would give me time to work on the TEVs.

I got a lot of work done during that month...

Lance, I think that you have to make a break here. The GAF has a bad effect on you.

I can be reasonable

Maybe this will bore it into your guys head *except Mithos and donny* about my 300k stance. I've said it time and time again but you guys choose to ignore it:

In the freaking MC 10/23-10/29 thread
-----------------------------------------------

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4797505#post4797505
There are exceptions to my 300k rule. Titles like Harvest Moon, Digimon, etc. actually OVERperformed in my eyes despite selling 100k ~ 160k. For the US, I was extremely impressed with Lost MAgic's sales, and that thing has barely done 50,00! Same goes for Age of Empires (80-90,000). I guess it's the games obscurity that lowers the bar. But for these big name DS titles, 100- 200k just doesn't cut it imo.

In the freaking MC 11/20-11/26 thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4977423#post4977423
I never said to make a profit. I said to be a success, in my eyes ^_^

But then it's relative. Lost Magic's 50,000 and Age of empires 70k in the US is a success, while Digimon Stories >200k in Japan is also a success. But WE, Children of Mana, Tales of Tempest, Sonic Rush (Japan), Advanced Wars (US) etc are painful for me:*

In the freaking MC other threads
-----------------------------------------

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4978022#post4978022

Maybe you've missed the last 2 or 3 media create threads where I've acknowledged this time and time again.

I even said it in this thread, and to corroborate it even more... so as to bury this into your skulls, my standard of 300k lowers depending on not only the budget of the title, but how much it's been advertised AND it's initial odds of being a success in Japan in the first place.

Now that I think about it, I could almsot turn that into an equation. If I use a variable as a coefficient of success which varies depending on the games budget and art style... I could find a reasonable number as to how well a game should sell to be a success in my eyes.

Must I repeat myself? It depends on the budget/advertising/initial probability of success. Once again I like sales of Lost Magic in the US even though it's less than 50k. I like sales of Harvest moon in Japan even at 200k (which is great for it's franchise, because it's initial probability of usccess was low, it's advertising and budget was low, but look at how well it sold).

I'll have this formula figured out soon. Just watch.

It's slowly proving it ethel.

I was disappointed when Canvas Curse severely underperformed compared to GBA kirbys, but now look: a TRUE Kirby game is on track to be one of the highest sellers in a while, and it might just break 500k in Japan alone. That's great.

Love and Berry sells 400k, Final Fantasy's sold over 800k, Tales of Tempest has gotta be around 130k (which really detracts from 3rd party DS sales potential theory), Winning Evelen at around 130k....

I retract my whole statement. Nintendo's still gotta get some of those big name 3rd party franchises to get up in the sales. If not 300, get me at LEAST 230k

It still is that piece of crap (in terms of sales).

I'm just saying I'm satisfied at the NUMBER of 3rd party DS titles starting to get AT LEAST OVER 100,000 (which used to be a mountain for it back in 05 no matter how well it was selling). SOme are even starting to cross the hurdles over into 200k mark, and that means shortly, more and more will get to 300k. And then we'llhave spinoffs for the Wii, and bigger sales, and Nintendo am will be winnar total.

I'd like to say that "nongames" are taking "real games's" sales for 3rd parties in Japan, but considering that they have sold less than 300k even on the GBA, it can't be made.

I'll be content to say that non-games take the sales from established franchises in Japan. With the only exception (always) being Nintendo and SquareEnix, which the non-games have seemed to benefit them

If I was taking a psychology class, or was a psychiatrist:

It's frustrating to see the fanbase so ignorant to real games

That would probably be the equivalent to the TV shows where people for no reason burst out "they hate their father/mother" and that's the root of the problem

castle007

Banned
LanceStern said:
I can be reasonable

Maybe this will bore it into your guys head *except Mithos and donny* about my 300k stance. I've said it time and time again but you guys choose to ignore it:

In the freaking MC 10/23-10/29 thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4797505#post4797505

In the freaking MC 11/20-11/26 thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4977423#post4977423

In the freaking MC other threads
-----------------------------------------

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4978022#post4978022

we get it.

take a break...

JMPovoa

duderon said:
It's the ****ing holiday season, the sales of all consoles increase.

Did you not notice with, oh i don't know, ALL previous consoles games only sell to a small portion of the fanbase. This is worldwide not just Japan, buddy.

But the last sales are already from 2007. How's that holiday season? It's not like it was hard for people to find a 360 during christmas period in Japan!

cvxfreak

Oh brother.

For the record, I have no problem with Lance's standard even if I don't agree with it. Just stick with your convictions on something as subjective as this and roll with it.

jimbo

Banned
starship said:
BD was supposed to be the savior of X360 in Japan, but it isn't and it won't.
BD was a failure considering a huge budget spent on it. It wont sell like hotcakes in western territories so at the end its not going to break even.
With a great deal (BD bundle at the same price of a core system) and a huge budget spent on this game, it couldn't sell more than 30-50k X360s in Japan which is not great at all.

IMO Lost Odyssey has a lesser chance in Japan but at least it can sell a lot more in western territories.

Traslation: "Bluedragon was...."i am spouting bs, but it's big bs, and i like bs. Oh, bs, how great you are, I love using you in the internet, my sources are not clear, but my bs people will fear....la la la la....here's some more bs for you....thought I was done? haha...i've just begun...wait a minute and more bs will come...I don't have sources, my numbers are wrong, but i'll keep playing the bs song...bs bs how great you are, you give me voice, i am a bs superstar"

The end.

DarkMehm

JMPovoa said:
But the last sales are already from 2007. How's that holiday season? It's not like it was hard for people to find a 360 during christmas period in Japan!

The first week of January still belongs to the holiday season and is one of the biggest weeks of the year. Furthermore, some people should learn that the whole christmas thing is almost non-existant there. Their holidays are different from ours.

starship said:
Business is business.
If a game's production costs > revenue it made, then its a failure no matter how you want to spin it.
Also as I mentioned tens of times, it couldn't sell a lot of hardwares.
Xbox did almost 60k during 4 weeks back in late 2002 (last 3 weeks of 2002 and first week of 2003) without any effort from Microsoft. Now Microsoft has spent a lot of money on this game and offer a big deal (you can buy a 360 and BD at the same price as a Wii and Wii Sports) but the sales were ~ 70k which is slightly above Xbox sales back in 2002.
Except the fist week with sales of 35k, BD couldn't do anything significant for 360 in Japan.

Thats just simply not true. For MS they haven't endless pockets. Their solution to porblems is through $ at it until it goes away. In a lot of eras thats worked for them. Also it has yet to be released in the USA/EU/PAL. Many japanese titles aren't profitable in their home region or just break even. Alot revenue comes from other markets.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
LanceStern said:
Aww you can't just defend your definition right before retracting it, that's just dirty.
Well how about this? List some of the games you don't consider to be "games."

jimbo

Banned
starship said:
Business is business.
If a game's production costs > revenue it made, then its a failure no matter how you want to spin it.
Also as I mentioned tens of times, it couldn't sell a lot of hardwares.
Xbox did almost 60k during 4 weeks back in late 2002 (last 3 weeks of 2002 and first week of 2003) without any effort from Microsoft. Now Microsoft has spent a lot of money on this game and offer a big deal (you can buy a 360 and BD at the same price as a Wii and Wii Sports) but the sales were ~ 70k which is slightly above Xbox sales back in 2002.
Except the fist week with sales of 35k, BD couldn't do anything significant for 360 in Japan.

Here's a doozy. Who should we listen to? Starship, whose magical ship has taken him to the future to see how this Blue Dragon videogame will end up being a financial failure world wide.....................or.................the game's creator, who runs a multimilion dollar company, probably knows one or two things about business, who stated that his goal for the game was 100k copies in Japan and the game's most likely well past that?

Decisions, decisions....

Do you have any freaking clue about what it takes to create, stick with and build a market and client base? ANY? Seriously. Do you?

i've noticed a trend for these mc topics.

if we don't agree with someone, they are going to get the standard "bs" and "do you have a clue" statements.

Because we disagree.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Aww you can't just defend your definition right before retracting it, that's just dirty.
Well how about this? List some of the games you don't consider to be "games."

Brain training
enlish training
brain training 2
general knowledge training
kanji test
kanji brain
love and berry
big brain academy
kanji dictionary
brain stress:head scan
iq supply
cooking navi
1000 DS recipes

I'm on the fence with nintendogs and clubhouse games

ethelred

LanceStern said:
Brain training
enlish training
brain training 2
kanji test
kanji brain
love and berry
big brain academy
kanji dictionary
iq supply
cooking navi
1000 DS recipes

Now tell us how many of these games you've actually played and have a clue as to how they function (I'm particularly interested in hearing your analysis of the gameplay in Love and Berry).

Also... you're on the fence on Clubhouse Games? You're not sure if chess, spades, poker, solitaire, and checkers are games? ... ... ...

LanceStern said:
Brain training
enlish training
brain training 2
kanji test
kanji brain
love and berry
big brain academy
kanji dictionary
iq supply
cooking navi
1000 DS recipes

What the ****? Solitaire is not a game?

Edit: Also, Lance, there is no such THING as a 300k standard. The idea of it is totally subjective and silly. Selling one copy of a game and making as much as someone who sells 100 copies of a game makes it no more or less successful.

JMPovoa

DarkMehm said:
The first week of January still belongs to the holiday season and is one of the biggest weeks of the year. Furthermore, some people should learn that the whole christmas thing is almost non-existant there. Their holidays are different from ours.

Doesn't make much sense to me, but i don't argue with something i know nothing about.

Edit: Didn't see your edit while quoting you, thanks for clarifying.

cvxfreak

A Link to the Snitch said:
Edit: Also, Lance, there is no such THING as a 300k standard. The idea of it is totally subjective and silly. Selling one copy of a game and making as much as someone who sells 100 copies of a game makes it no more or less successful.

Are you telling me selling 50 copies of a game like Dino Crisis 2 at 180 Yen is just as successful as selling one copy of DQ8 at launch?

I actually bought two copies of DC2 at that price, brand new. :D

Mar

LanceStern said:
Brain training
enlish training
brain training 2
kanji test
kanji brain
love and berry
big brain academy
kanji dictionary
iq supply
cooking navi
1000 DS recipes

Nintendo have confused a whole lot of tunnel vision gamers.

andthebeatgoeson

If you are on the fence about clubhouse games, you never played it. It isn't some great mystery. Either it is or it isn't. You can tell immediately.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Lance, would you be so kind as to commit suicide, or failing that stop posting in MC threads altogether?

Because, frankly, you suck.

If I stopped posting, you guys wouldn't have much to talk about :(

But alas, I'm trying to get all these numbers fixed up so this is my last post. Um lets think:

- The 300k standard, yea no such thing as it in the videogame world but on these message board forums there's gotta be some sort of standard in units. If precious Gears of War or FFXII made $100 million dollars but only sold 50,000 copies you ****in hypocrites would be all over it calling it a flop. Zelda TP probably has already made a profit, but ALOT of people (I'm not an exception) is saying it's doing bad because of it's sales, though they are increasing. OKAMI probably made a profit but once again you guys say it's a BOMB because it's only at 100k. Magical starsign, Mushikings, PSP GAMES, it doesn't matter what title it is, if it doesn't sell to a certain standard in people's head, it's considerd a bomb or disappointing WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING WHETHER IT MADE A PROFIT OR NOT. There is, was, and ALWAYS WILL BE a standard, the only thing is I have the balls or lunacy to state mine out loud, much to the angst of a lot of posters.

Note: Or at least some of you, I hold a lot of the GAFers here with higher respect then that (especially mithos, ethel, donny, cvx, bunkem, ani... etc.)

- Clubhouse games I'm on the fence. I mean they are GAMES, and we've been had titles like chess and stuff on traditional consoles. But I don't know, it doesn't seem right. A touch screen game about playing regular card games online. Seems like a game that was created with non-gamers in mind; to cater more to non-gamers than traditional gaming...which is why I'm on the fence about it.

"I don't agree with you and hate what you say. Either you're not explaining it well enough or I just don't want to take the time to understand it so either:
a) Commit suicide
b) Die
c) Stop posting
d) I'll say you're speaking bs all day
e) Ask you if you have a clue about the subject
f) Ask someone why you haven't been banned yet"

-.- eesh, another week, another Media Create topic. Well, at least I got it to 500 posts ^_^

Clubhouse was made for non-gamers but it is a game. Nintendogs is a game too. Its a sim game. BUt your list of non-games was pretty exact besides that.

ethelred

cvxfreak said:
I thought Okami being a financial bomb was pretty obvious. It wasn't a success by any stretch of the word.

The whole "Hey guys, we're closing Clover now," thing should've made it pretty clear...

LanceStern said:
Or Capcom closing it because they suck at business decisions, like they always have

Oh dear.

kisakiproject said:
Clubhouse was made for non-gamers but it is a game. Nintendogs is a game too. Its a sim game. BUt your list of non-games was pretty exact besides that.

Except for Brain Training 1, Brain Training 2, and Big Brain Academy.

Deku

Banned
LanceStern said:
Or Capcom closing it because they suck at business decisions, like they always have

But they are still in business because they know how to milk successful franchises that speak to their niche fanbases. Okami isn't one of them.

I don't think Okami is a bomb at all. Clover bombs are God Hand, all Viewtiful Joe except the first one and that said, Capcom closed Clover because the top guys left, not because the games sold poorly.

Okami was cited by Capcom as a strong seller.

cvxfreak

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I don't think Okami is a bomb at all. Clover bombs are God Hand, all Viewtiful Joe except the first one and that said, Capcom closed Clover because the top guys left, not because the games sold poorly.

No, it was a financial failure even though it put up not-so-bad numbers. God Hand was clearly on a much lower budget, as Capcom released it at $29.99 in the US and with a free soundtrack in Japan.

It's a good thing I didn't finish my thought, things might've turned out worse >_>
Not to mention you guys chose one title out of my list and ran with it.

You guys need a hobby instead of sitting around ganging up on my quotes. While I should really just close this window to get off of GAF.

I'm a message board junkie

jimbo

Banned
LanceStern said:
i've noticed a trend for these mc topics.

if we don't agree with someone, they are going to get the standard "bs" and "do you have a clue" statements.

Because we disagree.

You should probably take everyone else's suggestion and stop posting. I just completely ignored your posts, because at this point in time, it's far beyond BS. Your logic is just too twisted after everything you just said, for anyone to have an intelligent conversation with you.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Considering how long Okami was in development and how many resources it must've used during those years at Clover it's really silly to compare it to the sales of DS games.

LevelNth

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Aye. I'd be willing to bet that it pulled in some profit, or at the absolute very least, broke even.

GAF is ridiculous when it comes down to judging what is and isn't good sales. The whole concept that anything under 100k is some inconceivable bomb is just silly. I can tell you right now, the 280k+ that SE pulled in each with Children of Mana and Slime Mori Mori 2? They were laughing themselves to the bank as soon as they crossed 150k. And I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that if FFIII only sold 500k in Japan, Wada would still be pleased with the performance. GAF = overestimation.

I'm going to post this in my defense and see what you guys make of it. According to my streak so far though, this won't end good:

Capcom Q1 sales down, profit up
Strong performance of Okami and the DS installment of Mega Man can't help offset publisher's paucity of big releases.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Aug 10, 2006 4:20 pm PT
Capcom has released its first-quarter financial report covering the three months ended June 30, and the publisher came out with a healthier bottom line than it did last year despite lagging sales.

In the first quarter of last year, Capcom reported sales of 11.43 billion yen ($99.25 million), with a profit of 608 million yen ($5.28 million). For this fiscal year's opening three months, the publisher saw a nearly 8 percent slide in net sales to 10.57 billion yen ($91.79 million), while profits spiked almost 33 percent to 808 million yen ($7.02 million).

The publisher noted a number of external factors that had an impact on its numbers for the quarter, including a rebounding Japanese economy, growing demand for portable systems, and strong markets overseas as complementary factors. However, it didn't manage to meet the previous first quarter's net sales figure because the majority of games it sold consisted of "small-scale titles" and games developed in collaboration with other companies.

On the positive side, Okami and Mega Man ZX for the Nintendo DS were both cited as strong sellers in the Japanese market, as was Monster Hunter Freedom for the PSP. Outside of Japan, Mega Man Battle Network 6 for the Game Boy Advance posted solid sales. The company also noted a decrease in development costs for the quarter.

And yet we
a) Call Okami a bomb
b) Say Capcom isn't bad at making business decisions. When you guys KNOW they are, like blatantly LYING about RE4 exclusitivity BEFORE the game is released... among other crap

cvxfreak said:
No, it was a financial failure even though it put up not-so-bad numbers. God Hand was clearly on a much lower budget, as Capcom released it at $29.99 in the US and with a free soundtrack in Japan.
Financial failure? It put up 150k in Japan and far more in USA and is yet to be released in Europe.

I don't see the failure anywhere. I see an awesome new IP that is getting way many good critics from both press and users, that sold ok in Japan, that its selling better in USA and that has yet to see how it sells in Europe to measure its financial success.

Top Bottom