• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/10 - 3/16

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BishopLamont said:
Games like the original Layton and MHP got a boost when their sequel got released and I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of any right now. PS3 games don't have much legs, people who bought Yakuza 2 and wanted Yakuza 3 would've bought the game already. Sure there might be a few that will buy Yakuza 3 in the future because of Yakuza 2, but the chances are the same for any series and they'd be in the minority and is virtually negligible. You can't use SMS and SMG as an example, they're released years apart.

Phoenix Wright is the poster child

blitz64

JoshuaJSlone said:
Based on the latest Famitsu data...

PS3 comparisons: After 70 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 16.3 weeks (June 20, 2000), where PSP was at 46.6 weeks (October 27, 2005), where GCN was at 68.0 weeks (December 28, 2002), and where Wii was at 17.2 weeks (March 26, 2007). I note this now puts PS3 a year behind Wii, in time from launch.

Wii comparisons: After 67 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 68.1 weeks (July 7, 2002), where DS was at 57.3 weeks (January 3, 2006), where PS2 was at 91.6 weeks (November 29, 2001), and where PSP was at 133.1 weeks (June 24, 2007).

These are great data and I've been reading this for almost a year. How come someone hasn't done something similar for the NPDs? Does it take too much work? I think I can give similar statistics for NPD if no one has done it yet...

donny2112

blitz64 said:
How come someone hasn't done something similar for the NPDs?

Posting older NPD data without a source is a bannable offense. I agree that it'd be very interesting, but there aren't really good "official" sources for monthly hardware data going back that far.

jasonbay said:
Nice stats btw. but isn't bold silly? I mean if Wii stopped surely that would mean PS3 would start selling like crazy.
Certainly it's not exactly a statistic that looks into the real implications of an immediate Wii pullout. It's a simple formula, not Life After Mii. :)
donny2112 said:
Posting older NPD data without a source is a bannable offense. I agree that it'd be very interesting, but there aren't really good "official" sources for monthly hardware data going back that far.
Basically what I was going to say. It can still be an interesting comparison between rates of growth for current generation systems, but not so much that I've bothered to automate it into a regular thing like I do here.

lopaz

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Bangai-O is sort of a mixed bag. On the one hand, the number is very low and the shipment is tiny. On the other hand, the shipment being so tiny means that the price will likely not collapse and I'm sure the game will comfortably sell through at least one restock.

It sold less than infinity :mad:

test_account said:
I'd say it needs all of those. The sales arent strong now, thats for sure. Something needs to be changed so people will start to get interested in the PS3, and maybe most important of all, keep people interested in it, not just release 1 big title that causes a spike in sales and then go back to 10-15k a week.
Like I said before with inflated development budgets, longer development cycles and small userbase I don't think we'll ever see a steady influx of PS3 titles to the extent we're seeing it on other systems. So that's pretty much out of the question, as is a huge price drop - PS3 has been designed as a sophisticated media hub/gaming machine, which also hampers the possibilities of a radical redesign.

Grecco said:
...In an unrelated story, which will proably rehash PSP Piracy dicussion number 3300. Im honestly baffled at how wide spredded it is. A Coworker imed me this morning telling me that there was already FF Crisis Core (US version) available to download.

The game isnt even out yet on stores.! Thats absurd.
It's that way for a lot of games on a lot of plattforms.

Brianemone said:
The fact that a software title about writing is the best selling item of the week proves to me how different Japanese taste is from mine.
Yeah, screw edutainment and cultural differences!

test_account

XP-39C²
Phife Dawg said:
Like I said before with inflated development budgets, longer development cycles and small userbase I don't think we'll ever see a steady influx of PS3 titles to the extent we're seeing it on other systems. So that's pretty much out of the question, as is a huge price drop - PS3 has been designed as a sophisticated media hub/gaming machine, which also hampers the possibilities of a radical redesign.

I do agree to that, atleast when it comes to the next 2 years or so. I dont know if development becomes easier and cheaper then, but i guess it isnt totally out of the question. For now i think most smaller budget games will most likely only be released for Wii and/or maybe for the 360.

But still, PS3 could still need a pricedrop, more interesting games and a maybe a redesign to have a chance to boost its sales :) Its not something that will change over night though, and its not just to drop the price like that since its no guarantee that the sales will boost high enough over a long period of time to earn in the same amount of money that they dropped the price with.

Also, its very easy to say "it needs that and that", but what is realisticly is another thing. I.e getting the PS3 down to Wii's price level, i'd say that isnt realisticly anytime soon, it will probly take minimum 1 more year atleast. If its too late for the PS3 then, who knows, but i dont think all hopes are totally out of the question when it comes to boosting the sales somehow. The manage to do it with the PSP hardware sales (i know it can be alittle different with a handheld system, but i just wanted to use it as an example that something was done (a redesign) to boost the sales and it worked). The question is what and how it should be done and what its realistic though. I'm not really sure whats within the realistic boarder right now, but atleast over time i belive something can be done.

Just to point out, when i say boost in sales i'm mostly thinking about the hardware. If people becomes interested in the hardware software interest might automaticly follow as well, but its hard to say.

Rock_Man said:
Famitsu LTD:
Zack & Wiki - 30,982
No More Heroes - 27,873
Z&W deserves more, good thing Capcom was positive about the market's reaction to the title otherwise I would fear for a sequel.

NMH is set to break K7's LTD, not really good but I guess within expactations. Good to see the title succeed in the west.

test_account said:
I do agree to that, atleast when it comes to the next 2 years or so. I dont know if development becomes easier and cheaper then, but i guess it isnt totally out of the question. For now i think most smaller budget games will most likely only be released for Wii and/or maybe for the 360.

But still, PS3 could still need a pricedrop, more interesting games and a maybe a redesign to have a chance to boost its sales :) Its not something that will change over night though, and its not just to drop the price like that since its no guarantee that the sales will boost high enough over a long period of time to earn in the same amount of money that they dropped the price with.

Also, its very easy to say "it needs that and that", but what is realisticly is another thing. I.e getting the PS3 down to Wii's price level, i'd say that isnt realisticly anytime soon, it will probly take minimum 1 more year atleast. If its too late for the PS3 then, who knows, but i dont think all hopes are totally out of the question when it comes to boosting the sales somehow. The manage to do it with the PSP hardware sales (i know it can be alittle different with a handheld system, but i just wanted to use it as an example that something was done (a redesign) to boost the sales and it worked). The question is what and how it should be done and what its realistic though. I'm not really sure whats within the realistic boarder right now, but atleast over time i belive something can be done.

Just to point out, when i say boost in sales i'm mostly thinking about the hardware. If people becomes interested in the hardware software interest might automaticly follow as well, but its hard to say.
From a consumer's point every system could use a price drop. For PS3 to come to Wii's price level will take a lot more than a year (if it ever gets to Wii's price level that is). And that's because of how the machine was conceived.

A radical redesign could boost the sales, I'm not disagreeing there. After seeing the PS3 at a friend's place I was really surprised to see how huge it is - definetly a factor in Japan I think. But with all the stuff in there I don't think we'd see such a radical redesign anytime soon.

test_account

XP-39C²
Phife Dawg said:
From a consumer's point every system could use a price drop. For PS3 to come to Wii's price level will take a lot more than a year (if it ever gets to Wii's price level that is). And that's because of how the machine was conceived.

A radical redesign could boost the sales, I'm not disagreeing there. After seeing the PS3 at a friend's place I was really surprised to see how huge it is - definetly a factor in Japan I think. But with all the stuff in there I don't think we'd see such a radical redesign anytime soon.

Sure, consumer wouldnt mind if things are cheaper, but all systems dont need a pricedrop to keep the interest up, like i.e Wii, DS and PSP. They sell pretty good at their current price. They might have sold more at a lower price point of course, but i'd say the interest for these 3 systems are high at their current price points :)

I think the PS3 price is still too high so people lose interest in it (i'm sure that price isnt the only factor and i'm sure dropping the price wont solve everything, but i'm sure its atleast one factor). I dont think its realistic that PS3 would come down to Wii's price level anytime soon either, it was mostly a hypothetical example or what i shall say. What you say its true, the PS3 got too much expencive hardware in it (compared to i.e Wii) so its not easy to get the price down without losing money (unless people start buying it alot so they still make money, but its not a given). I wonder what the "magical" price is for the PS3.

Ye, the PS3 is pretty big indeed. I was most suprised over how heavy it is. Its true what you say, the PS3 has alot of stuff in it so a drastic redisgn might be hard. But when (or maybe they have already started) they start to produce 45nm CELL CPU which produces less heat it might be possible. Blu laser diods are also been shrunk to like 3mm or something like that. If they pull out the internal PSU (like they did with the PS2 Slim) that could also save some space on the console (the external PSU will still take up space though). I dont think we'll see any redesign anytime soon though, maybe around 2010, or late 2009 at the earliest.

At this point i dont really have any expecations around the PS3 sales in Japan, but in my opinion its going to be interesting to see what will happend to the PS3 in the future :)

test_account said:
Sure, consumer wouldnt mind if things are cheaper, but all systems dont need a pricedrop to keep the interest up, like i.e Wii, DS and PSP. They sell pretty good at their current price. They might have sold more at a lower price point of course, but i'd say the interest for these 3 systems are high at their current price points :)

I think the PS3 price is still too high so people lose interest in it (i'm sure that price isnt the only factor and i'm sure dropping the price wont solve everything, but i'm sure its atleast one factor). I dont think its realistic that PS3 would come down to Wii's price level anytime soon either, it was mostly a hypothetical example or what i shall say. What you say its true, the PS3 got too much expencive hardware in it (compared to i.e Wii) so its not easy to get the price down without losing money (unless people start buying it alot so they still make money, but its not a given). I wonder what the "magical" price is for the PS3.

Ye, the PS3 is pretty big indeed. I was most suprised over how heavy it is. Its true what you say, the PS3 has alot of stuff in it so a drastic redisgn might be hard. But when (or maybe they have already started) they start to produce 45nm CELL CPU which produces less heat it might be possible. Blu laser diods are also been shrunk to like 3mm or something like that. If they pull out the internal PSU (like they did with the PS2 Slim) that could also save some space on the console (the external PSU will still take up space though). I dont think we'll see any redesign anytime soon though, maybe around 2010, or late 2009 at the earliest.

At this point i dont really have any expecations around the PS3 sales in Japan, but in my opinion its going to be interesting to see what will happend to the PS3 in the future :)
If you sell a product at a loss you lose even more in total if people buy it in droves. Of course you would want to recoup those losses, in this case through software sales (first party) or licensing fees (third party, BR - although not directly). I don't know if that would work out though, esp. since titles are so spaced out on PS3 and there's yet to be a breakout hit.

I haven't lifted the console but yeah, it looked pretty sturdy and heavy (plus for me, although I don't like the dimensions).

The whole situation surely is very interesting, esp. considering where Sony and Nintendo respectively came from with their predecessors.

dolemite

Didn't we have a number of budget titles released on the 19th or are these not displayed on the first day sales charts?

Rock_Man

famitsu-ps3wiix360-080309.png

Source: Famitsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
This would apply more to China, United States, and most of the Mainland Europe.

I see the R4 effect happen within my own social circle

:(

I'm considered an oddity amongst my social circle because I buy my games.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Pureauthor said:
I'm considered an oddity amongst my social circle because I buy my games.

Exactly.

There is something wrong with the situation when people laugh at you for supporting the industry and the games you like.

test_account

XP-39C²
Phife Dawg said:
If you sell a product at a loss you lose even more in total if people buy it in droves. Of course you would want to recoup those losses, in this case through software sales (first party) or licensing fees (third party, BR - although not directly). I don't know if that would work out though, esp. since titles are so spaced out on PS3 and there's yet to be a breakout hit.

I haven't lifted the console but yeah, it looked pretty sturdy and heavy (plus for me, although I don't like the dimensions).

The whole situation surely is very interesting, esp. considering where Sony and Nintendo respectively came from with their predecessors.

Thats a good point, if they already lose money on each console and if they drop the price they will lose more money overall, i didnt think about that, good you pointed that out :) I dont know if Sony profits on each PS3 console sold now though, but still. Ye, true, they would have to make the money from games and licenses etc. instead if they lose money on each console thats being sold. I agree, i'd say its hard to say what will actually work at this point.

Ye, its seems pretty sturdy. I'm not exactly a huge fan of the design myself. I think i would prefer if it was more square shaped, but i think the current design is ok though, i dont really have any problems with it :)

I agree, its going to interesting to see what will happend in the near and distant future :)

test_account

XP-39C²
John_Doe said:
I've read they spent 370$ in make a 40gb PS3 (not box, distribution...)

That sounds possible. I mean i've read something simular that they are making money on the PS3 or that the production costs is down to around $400 as you said, but its a while since i heard/read it so i dont recall the details. If its $370 for just the production itself (no box, manuals, distribution etc.) they are probly loosing money on each sold console.

test_account said:
Thats a good point, if they already lose money on each console and if they drop the price they will lose more money overall, i didnt think about that, good you pointed that out :) I dont know if Sony profits on each PS3 console sold now though, but still. Ye, true, they would have to make the money from games and licenses etc. instead if they lose money on each console thats being sold. I agree, i'd say its hard to say what will actually work at this point.
I vaguely remember a statement/interview back when the 40G was announced where someone from Sony said that they were still loosing money with the new model but not as much as with the old ones. The margins may have changed now but I doubt they are making money on the machine atm.

Tiktaalik

Rock_Man said:
Famitsu LTD:
Zack & Wiki - 30,982
No More Heroes - 27,873

It's crazy this gen that Western gamers are saving these obscure Japanese games from total failure. The western game market is a real, real big tent.

test_account

XP-39C²
Phife Dawg said:
I vaguely remember a statement/interview back when the 40G was announced where someone from Sony said that they were still loosing money with the new model but not as much as with the old ones. The margins may have changed now but I doubt they are making money on the machine atm.

Ye, that most likely correct, i dont think they are making any money yet on the console itself. If they are, i doubt its very little profit. Speaking of money, have Sony posted some new quarter profit/loss on their game division yet? They had a really big loss in 2007 i know, but i wonder how it will look in 2008.

Phife Dawg said:
I wouldn't be so sure about that, I can see DS surge ahead again with a price drop and/or redesign.

I'm not convinced that a DS price drop would be that much of a sales driver in Japan, even though they deserve one. Still, offering a price drop along with a thinner DS with DQ9 artwork in a limited edition DQ9 bundle would be just diabolical.

PantherLotus said:
What does this chart look like if you add PSP and DS market share?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales
NDS Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage - 127k
PS3 Armored Core: For Answer - 44k
PSP Tales of Rebirth - 38k
WII Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku! - 30k
NDS Sakura Taisen: Kimi Arugatame - 27k
NDS SimCity DS 2: Kodai kara Mirai e Tsuduku Machi - 26k
NDS Crayon Shin-Chan: Arashi o Yobu Cinema Land: Kachinko Gachinko Daikatsugeki! - 19k
PSP Mugen Kairou (echochrome) - 16k
360 Armored Core: For Answer - 16k
NDS Time Hollow: Ubawareta Kako o Motomete - 14k
NDS Chou Nekketsu Koukou Kunio-Kun Dodge Ball Bu - 10k
NDS Kekkaishi: Kokubourou Shuurai - 8k (just 10-20% sell through)
360 Army of Two - 8k
PS3 Army of Two - 6k
NDS Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword - 4k
NDS Bangai-O Spirits - 3k (<10k shipment)

Hoping for Mario and Sonic syndrome...

Lobster

Banned
bafflewaffle said:
Who wants to know? ;)

Mostly the DS stuff already mentioned, and I guess echochrome.

Im hoping for Deca Sports myself!

I don't want Hudson to be in this gen only for Mario Party :\

Lightning

Banned
The Yakuza 3 and Silver color PS3 effect was practically not existent. That's very disappointing.

On a side note, is the PSP region free for gaming? I own a PAL PSP and want to import some games from the US.

lopaz

Banned
Lightning said:
The Yakuza 3 and Silver color PS3 effect was practically not existent. That's very disappointing.

On a side note, is the PSP region free for gaming? I own a PAL PSP and want to import some games from the US.

I have a US PSP and play PAL games all the time.

sphinx

the piano man
Lightning said:

lightning, I know you've been expecting a change of tides for the PS3 for the a long, long time....

I've been just wondering, do you really think such change will happen at some point? because you sound like you expected yakuza 3 to matter in the japanese "console race". we all know japanese liked yakuza 1 and 2 but to expect a major change in the bigger scheme of things in favor of the PS3 because of a sequel to that?... I don't know..

just asking, not trying to be annoying or anything.

sphinx said:
lightning, I know you've been expecting a change of tides for the PS3 for the a long, long time....

I've been just wondering, do you really think such change will happen at some point? because you sound like you expected yakuza 3 to matter in the japanese "console race". we all know japanese liked yakuza 1 and 2 but to expect a major change in the bigger scheme of things in favor of the PS3 because of a sequel to that?... I don't know..

just asking, not trying to be annoying or anything.
Forget a long-term effect, Yakuza didn't have much of a short-term effect. With the bump from a sequel to a popular series and a new color, weekly sales were still below what they were the first 6 weeks of the year without.

Neo C.

Hcoregamer00 said:
There is something wrong with the situation when people laugh at you for supporting the industry and the games you like.
Your social circle is wrong. ;)
Most of my friends buy their (console) games, though not many of my friends are gamers.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
JoshuaJSlone said:
Forget a long-term effect, Yakuza didn't have much of a short-term effect. With the bump from a sequel to a popular series and a new color, weekly sales were still below what they were the first 6 weeks of the year without.

I don't understand why people don't see the Japanese market set in stone. New colors and hot games will cause a few wrinkles in the very distinct pattern that is established here. If Porky Pig were calling this race as an announcer, he would have said That's All Folks a long time ago.

gogogow

Agent Icebeezy said:
I don't understand why people don't see the Japanese market set in stone. New colors and hot games will cause a few wrinkles in the very distinct pattern that is established here. If Porky Pig were calling this race as an announcer, he would have said That's All Folks a long time ago.
What?

Imo the PS3 will never overtake the Wii userbase in Japan (or anywhere in the world), but doesn't mean the situation can't get better for the PS3??!! I mean selling around 15k a week is pretty sad, but if they can establish around 25k-30k a week........

And PSP begs to differ, new colors, redesign and well-known games selling even less than PS3 games. It caused more than a few wrinkles in the hardware race in Japan.

It's definitely not set in stone when the Wii doesn't get the biggest 3rd party games (although it's doing very well with it's own titles).
If the Wii gets the next main series of DQ and FF. Yeah, it's pretty much over for the PS3.

gogogow

Segata Sanshiro said:
A NEW CHALLENGER COMES
WTH are you talking about?
Did I say something bad about the Wii?
You are talking like I'm from the PS3 Defense force or something.

I'm outta here.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Moor-Angol said:
Seems like next week the chart will be filled around the half by new entries, wow !

I was thinking that myself, so I looked up the record on Josh's SQL thing:

Code:
Number of new games	Week
18			2003-11-24
17			2005-02-21
17			2005-06-27
17			2004-12-06
16			2004-03-15
16			2004-11-29
15			2004-05-17
15			2002-06-24
15			2007-12-03
15			2004-02-09

gogogow said:

I'm outta here.

Chill out, holy shit.

gogogow said:

I'm outta here.
I'm talking about Street Fighter II, the new fighting game from Capcom.

Why, what the fuck are you talking about?

gogogow

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm talking about Street Fighter II, the new fighting game from Capcom.

Why, what the fuck are you talking about?
Dude, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The Wii won't have the new 3rd party Street Fighter game in HD from Capcom!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
JoshuaJSlone said:
With the bump from a sequel to a popular series and a new color
Slightly OT - but people keep saying "new color" but from what I understand Silver exists only in Yakuza bundle run of 10000 units.
If the new color didn't go the way of Halo bundle, it would have to exhaust all of its supply in first week (possibly first day).

Top Bottom