• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/10 - 3/16

gogogow said:
Dude, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The Wii won't have the new 3rd party Street Fighter game in HD from Capcom!
Oh noes, Wii am cry.

On a serious note, MH is the bigger franchise atm.

Taurus

gogogow said:
Dude, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The Wii won't have the new 3rd party Street Fighter game in HD from Capcom!
Maybe they will have a new 1st party SF game in SD?

gogogow

Eteric Rice said:
Uh, wait, isn't Street Fighter 4 going to the PSP? I'm pretty sure it'll be on the Wii as well.
street-fighter-2-hd-screen.jpg

Rolf NB

gogogow said:
What?

Imo the PS3 will never overtake the Wii userbase in Japan (or anywhere in the world), but doesn't mean the situation can't get better for the PS3??!! I mean selling around 15k a week is pretty sad, but if they can establish around 25k-30k a week........
It will get worse before it gets better. Sony will be lucky if they can keep the PS3 above 22~23% marketshare this year (in Japan, of course), yet more price-cuts and slimmer revisions notwithstanding. Metaru Gear isn't as hot of a property as it is in Europe and the US, and even though GT5 probably is, it's not enough. A semi-regular schedule of ~100k LTD-selling games just isn't going to turn the market around as drastically as would be necessary. To Sony, 2008 will be (yet another) year of massaging primarily the western markets, for better or worse.

However, the situation isn't bad enough to put the PS3 in risk of fading away, not least because it's doing okay in the other territories. It still has at least five price cuts to go before EOL, which is a variable that separates it from the usual downplayishy comparisons (Gamecube, Saturn, whatever). It will never catch the Wii's LTD in Japan, but possibly, in a year or two, it may reach 35~40% marketshare* and make a mildly successful semi-comeback to a humble, slightly less terrible second-place position.
But again, this year? It's going to be bad.

edit: *week-to-week

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Eteric Rice said:
Uh, wait, isn't Street Fighter 4 going to the PSP? I'm pretty sure it'll be on the Wii as well.
SF4 is only announced for arcades right now.

gogogow said:
What?

Imo the PS3 will never overtake the Wii userbase in Japan (or anywhere in the world), but doesn't mean the situation can't get better for the PS3??!! I mean selling around 15k a week is pretty sad, but if they can establish around 25k-30k a week........

And PSP begs to differ, new colors, redesign and well-known games selling even less than PS3 games. It caused more than a few wrinkles in the hardware race in Japan.

It's definitely not set in stone when the Wii doesn't get the biggest 3rd party games (although it's doing very well with it's own titles).
If the Wii gets the next main series of DQ and FF. Yeah, it's pretty much over for the PS3.
If Nintendo keeps this up, the Wii doesn't need "the biggest third party games".

near

Gold Member
Why are people so convinced it's over for the PS3? Perhaps if it's more anticipated titles were out and this was the out come, you'd have a point.

Airkiru said:
Why are people so convinced it's over for the PS3? Perhaps if it's more anticipated titles were out and this was the out come, you'd have a point.

Like Gundam? Hot Shots Golf? Yakuza? Devil May Cry?

The PS3 might get a nice bump when FFXIII, GT5 and RE5 come out, but the system has already shown that it cannot maintain high sales and consistently falls back down one or two weeks after a highly-anticpated game comes out.

Besides, by the time those games come out, the Wii will be even further ahead.

ethelred

Airkiru said:

Like... Minna no Golf 5? Musou 6? Ryu ga Gotoku 3? Devil May Cry 4?

At a certain point, this line stops working.

EDIT: Oh, is Virtua Fighter 5 out yet? That might do the trick.

Airkiru said:
Other than an unexpected new hit series, we know of one upcoming series that in the past has been equal to PS3's biggest series (Gran Turismo, which has already released in minor form) and one that is bigger (Final Fantasy).

EDIT: Triple counter, eh? Guess that one was too easy.

Neomoto

While in the meantime, Wii will continue to get high profile releases throughout the year (and the latest bunch is still selling very well every week, whereas PS3 software drops quickly, even the highly anticipated ones).

near

Gold Member
ethelred said:
Like... Minna no Golf 5? Musou 6? Ryu ga Gotoku 3? Devil May Cry 4?

At a certain point, this line stops working.

EDIT: Oh, is Virtua Fighter 5 out yet? That might do the trick.

_Alkaline_ said:
Like Gundam? Hot Shots Golf? Yakuza? Devil May Cry?

The PS3 might get a nice bump when FFXIII, GT5 and RE5 come out, but the system has already shown that it cannot maintain high sales and consistently falls back down one or two weeks after a highly-anticpated game comes out.

Besides, by the time those games come out, the Wii will be even further ahead.

Hmm. I didn't know that Minna no Golf 5, Ryu ga Gotoku 3, and Devil May Cry 4 were the more anticipated titles for the PS3!? You both seem to mention 3/4 titles that aren't really up there on Japan's list.

Yeah the Wii is doing great globally, but in Japan in comparison to the PS3, its roughly 3,596,228 units away. It's still alot, but when there are titles like Final Fantasy XIII/Versus XIII, Biohazard 5, Star Ocean 4, MGS4, Tekken 6
I could go on...
which can all sell systems, that gap really doesn't look so big anymore.

Airkiru said:
Hmm. I didn't know that Minna no Golf 5, Ryu ga Gotoku 3, and Devil May Cry 4 were the more anticipated titles for the PS3!? You both seem to mention 3/4 titles that aren't really up there on Japan's list.

Yeah the Wii is doing great globally, but in Japan in comparison to the PS3, its roughly 3,596,228 units away. It's still alot, but when there are titles like Final Fantasy XIII/Versus XIII, Biohazard 5, Star Ocean 4, MGS4, Tekken 6
I could go on...

The PS3 hasn't proven it can maintain high sales yet. Meanwhile the gap between the Wii and PS3 continues to widen.

Those games mentioned above will no doubt help raise PS3 sales. But to what extent? All we've seen so far are short rises quickly followed by sharp falls. It hasn't proven itself.

Airkiru said:

I could go on...

The bolded games all have less selling power than Musou or Minna no Golf in Japan.

radcliff

Airkiru said:

I could go on...

Yes, but its not like the Wii is not going to stop having major releases. The Wii is still selling off momentum from Super Smash Bros and Wii Fit. In the near future there is Mario Kart and Tales of Symphonia. Even further out, there is Wii Music, Animal Crossing (this could be HUGE), Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and future installments of Mario and Zelda. Nintendo now has what it takes to counter high profile releases for PS3. And if for some reason those titles don't get the job done, Nintendo can drop the price or release new colors.

JudgeN

radcliff said:
Yes, but its not like the Wii is not going to stop having major releases. The Wii is still selling off momentum from Super Smash Bros and Wii Fit. In the near future there is Mario Kart and Tales of Symphonia. Even further out, there is Wii Music, Animal Crossing (this could be HUGE), Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and future installments of Mario and Zelda. Nintendo now has what it takes to counter high profile releases for PS3. And if for some reason those titles don't get the job done, Nintendo can drop the price or release new colors.

This is Sony last hope, they need to pull a PSP and release new colors once a month, its the only way to save themselves in Japan. DO IT NOW SONY :lol

In approximate order the top ten PS2 franchises were probably

Dragon Quest
Final Fantasy
Gran Turismo
Hot Shots Golf
* Warriors
Kingdom Hearts
Winning Eleven
Onimusha
Metal Gear Solid
Yakuza

Lobster

Banned
Airkiru said:

I could go on...

Only 1 game from their list does better outside of Japan :lol

Only FFXII and Tekken 6 will push good hardware numbers.

BH5,MGS4 get their big pushes from the western world.

radcliff said:

near

Gold Member
_Alkaline_ said:
The PS3 hasn't proven it can maintain high sales yet. Meanwhile the gap between the Wii and PS3 continues to widen.

Those games mentioned above will no doubt help raise PS3 sales. But to what extent? All we've seen so far are short rises quickly followed by sharp falls. It hasn't proven itself.

When a console doesn't have a solid library of games it certainly does not represent the value of the system itself. Yeah the PS3 has a few titles that I'd call AAA, but not as many as the Wii. Thats the differiential factor right now, the current library of games for the PS3 is not representing it's value, whereas the upcoming are. Dispite that the PS3 has sold respectively.

Pureauthor said:
The bolded games all have less selling power than Musou or Minna no Golf in Japan.

Since when did those two start selling more than the Biohazard, MGS, Star Ocean, and Tekken series?

ethelred said:
Additionally, Star Ocean 4 is an Xbox 360 game.

Thats not be confirmed, and neither has it been confirmed for the PS3. But one can more or less assume it will be available for the PS3 or both.

And if I may add:

By the time FFXIII comes out, every man, woman, and child that bought Final Fantasy XII could run out and buy a brand new PS3 with FFXIII, and it would still be way, way, way behind.

The PS3 is somewhat salvageable, but any ideas of it catching up to the Wii are so fucking stupid that it makes people entertaining such notions appear to be unbelievable fools.

Airkiru said:
Since when did those two start selling more than the Biohazard, MGS, Star Ocean, and Tekken series?

Does it matter when they started outselling these series? The important thing is that they do.

near

Gold Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
The PS3 is somewhat salvageable, but any ideas of it catching up to the Wii are so fucking stupid that it makes people entertaining such notions appear to be unbelievable fools.

If you had read my initial post you would know that what I'm stating is it isn't over for the PS3. I did not say it would catch up to the Wii or anything like that, people are assuming that "It's over for the PS3" when its not.

jarrod

Banned
Airkiru said:
Thats not be confirmed, and neither has it been confirmed for the PS3. But one can more or less assume it will be available for the PS3 or both.
Considering the developer, I'd say assuming 360 exclusivity is a safer bet than PS3 only at this point. :lol

Most signs point to multiplatform though imo. If there is any exclusivity, I'd say it's probably windowed.

Airkiru said:
If you had read my initial post you would know that what I'm stating is it isn't over for the PS3. I did not say it would catch up to the Wii or anything like that, people are assuming that "It's over for the PS3" when its not.
Its over for the PS3 to catch the Wii.

Its not over for PS3 to be a viable second system, but right now its less viable than PSP or GC.

Airkiru said:
On this very page, you did a slightly rephrased version of Tabris' famous "THE GAP IS CLOSING" argument.

What, precisely, isn't over for the PS3? The battle for 1st place? Looks decided to me. The battle for 2nd place? They seem to have that one in hand. I mean, from every angle, whatever "it" is, "it" is over. Now we just ride it out.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Segata Sanshiro said:
On this very page, you did a slightly rephrased version of Tabris' famous "THE GAP IS CLOSING" argument.

What, precisely, isn't over for the PS3? The battle for 1st place? Looks decided to me. The battle for 2nd place? They seem to have that one in hand. I mean, from every angle, whatever "it" is, "it" is over. Now we just ride it out.

This is what I said eariler in this thread

Agent Icebeezy said:
Save it from what? All three positions are finalized. The only thing up for grabs is the market share allocations.

Now, with that said, look at Panther's chart. The marketshare lines have seemingly flatlined.

near

Gold Member
Segata Sanshiro said:

Yeah I did mention the significant difference between the Wii and PS3 in Japan, but that was to make a point that it's not over for the PS3.

When people mention that it's over for PS3, I'm thinking along the lines of it's not going to sell many more. I don't know if it will catch up to the Wii or not as far as i'm concerned I couldn't care less about that, I'm just saying the PS3 will improve in sales and grow.

Airkiru said:
Turn-of-the-millenium-ish? To simplify things, I'll take the highest-ranking PS2 entry of these series from Japan-GameCharts. Keping with simplicity I'm not bothering to add in the budget rereleases.

Biohazard: 455K
MGS: 833K
Star Ocean: 533K
Tekken: 457K

Musou: 1.20M
Minna no: 1.08M

DNF

Originally Posted by Airkiru

From japan-gamecharts.com (Famitsu)

PS2 Japanes Ranking
Pos Title Total
03 Final Fantasy XII 2.322.329
11 Hot Shots Golf 4 1.083.079
21 Hot Shots Golf 3 921.901
24 MGS 2 832.719
25 MGS 3 819.807
42 Mobile Suit Gundam... 577.972
44 Yakuza 2 572.917
45 Devil May Cry 569.763
53 SD Gundam G... 537.229
74 Tekken Tag Tournament457.340
76 Resident Evil 4 454.979

Edit: Too late

near

Gold Member
JoshuaJSlone said:
Turn-of-the-millenium-ish? To simplify things, I'll take the highest-ranking PS2 entry of these series from Japan-GameCharts. Keping with simplicity I'm not bothering to add in the budget rereleases.

Biohazard: 455K
MGS: 833K
Star Ocean: 533K
Tekken: 457K

Musou: 1.20M
Minna no: 1.08M

:lol *feels like an idiot* I suppose I was thinking of it globally rather than in Japan(?) ¬_¬

Segata Sanshiro said:
And if I may add:

By the time FFXIII comes out, every man, woman, and child that bought Final Fantasy XII could run out and buy a brand new PS3 with FFXIII, and it would still be way, way, way behind.

There is another problem with the PS3. Nintendo is targeting those people who are called casual gamers, they dont spend much time playing , and they like to socialize while gaming. Also few of this people would buy two home consoles.

Most PS2 owners fall in that category by a matter of statics since hardcore gamers are fewer. So the PS3 can only aspire to grab the hardocore gamers. We all know what the majority of people like to play: Wii sports, wiifit, wii play , nintendogs brain training.

that is what hot these days and the PS3 cant offer that experience.

That can basicly be extrapolated to world wide sales, and thats why i expect the ps3 and 360 to make about the same numbers as xbox last generation, maybe a little more

Airkiru said:
Airkiru said:
...Yeah the Wii is doing great globally, but in Japan in comparison to the PS3, its roughly 3,596,228 units away. It's still alot, but when there are titles like Final Fantasy XIII/Versus XIII, Biohazard 5, Star Ocean 4, MGS4, Tekken 6
I could go on...
So, if the gap doesn't look so big anymore and with all these system sellers and it's not over for PS3 what exactly do you mean by "It's not over for PS3" when it's not "It can catch the Wii"?

Oh and please go on with the list, GT5 is missing but other than that...

Airkiru said:
When a console doesn't have a solid library of games it certainly does not represent the value of the system itself. Yeah the PS3 has a few titles that I'd call AAA, but not as many as the Wii. Thats the differiential factor right now, the current library of games for the PS3 is not representing it's value, whereas the upcoming are. Dispite that the PS3 has sold respectively.

How would that be? The games released thus far were amongst the most popular PS2 franchises. DQ is heading to DS and we don't know where KH is going on home consoles, if it's going (I wouldn't put my money on PS3 though). MGS4 is around the corner, Tales of... going to other systems, Onimusha nowhere to be seen, that basically leaves FFXIII in all it's iterations for the future.

You might want to look up sales for the franchises you mentioned too. There are good sites out there.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:
In approximate order the top ten PS2 franchises were probably
Dragon Quest
Final Fantasy
Gran Turismo
Hot Shots Golf
* Warriors
Kingdom Hearts
Winning Eleven
Onimusha
Metal Gear Solid
Yakuza

Interested readers will note that Onimusha is effectively dead as a franchise on a go-forward basis, or at least suffered some of the worst installment-over-installment decline any franchise on the PS2 did. Also, I'd peg Tales of and Monster Hunter as the top of the next tier after those ten.

near

Gold Member
Phife Dawg said:
So, if the gap doesn't look so big anymore and with all these system sellers and it's not over for PS3 what exactly do you mean by "It's not over for PS3" when it's not "It can catch the Wii"?

Airkiru said:
Yeah I did mention the significant difference between the Wii and PS3 in Japan, but that was to make a point that it's not over for the PS3.

When people mention that it's over for PS3, I'm thinking along the lines of it's not going to sell many more. I don't know if it will catch up to the Wii or not as far as i'm concerned I couldn't care less about that, I'm just saying the PS3 will improve in sales and grow.

Phife Dawg said:
You might want to look up sales for the franchises you mentioned too. There are good sites out there.

See my other post.

Stumpokapow said:
I was thinking that myself, so I looked up the record on Josh's SQL thing:

Code:
Number of new games	Week
18			2003-11-24
17			2005-02-21
17			2005-06-27
17			2004-12-06
16			2004-03-15
16			2004-11-29
15			2004-05-17
15			2002-06-24
15			2007-12-03
15			2004-02-09

Yes, usually tons of releases arrive in November, December or before Golden Week, so i was surprised to see many games in first day sales, if Ninja Gaiden will arrive around 7-8k, i think there will be around 15-16 new entries on next week chart.

And Deca Sporta 30k is very good, probably low price is helping the sales, i noticed on amazon it got just 2/5 stars as review, so i hope the game is not so terrible and sales will not drop after a couple of weeks, giving to Wii another 3rd party game over 100k

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Moor-Angol said:
And Deca Sporta 30k is very good, probably low price is helping the sales, i noticed on amazon it got just 2/5 stars as review, so i hope the game is not so terrible and sales will not drop after a couple of weeks, giving to Wii another 3rd party game over 100k

I agree that 30k first day is very good for Deca Sporta. Without assuming any spectacular legs, we're looking at anywhere from 100-250k for the game lifetime, which I'm sure is more than in line with Hudson's expectations... especially given that the in-game advertising deal by Adidas was probably quite lucrative.

In terms of quality, I expect the game will be substantially better than a lot of the garbage out there, but probably not quite as polished as Wii Sports. One thing that I think Hudson really dropped the ball on was not including Miis. Miis are a pretty huge deal for randoms. I know for me a huge way my friends and family have become interested in the Wii has been seeing themselves in the games that I'm playing. I don't know what on earth they were thinking not including them... If their argument is that they don't like the Mii designs, I think Hudson will find that the average person finds the Mii look far more iconic than this off-Mii idea they're going for. If their argument is technical, Hudson and Nintendo have a great report and it's pathetic if they haven't gotten up the Wii experience at this point. If their argument is cost-based, I think no matter what the cost it'll still end up being worth it.

Top Bottom