• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/31 - 4/6

Psychotext said:
I kinda see what you're saying... but we're not talking about something the size of a fridge here. As for silent, surely that only matters when it's on so I'm not sure why it would affect its place in the living room or not (given the TV is going to be on and making noise when you're playing it anyway).
Well PS3 sure is huge (at least to my eyes). Noise can be a factor if you want to mainly watch movies on it (be the media hub Sony wants it to be). Haven't watched a BR on PS3 yet, is the fan running during movie playback?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
You don't want to forget something you get wrong? :lol
Of course it was later revised - it still made me laugh.

kswiston said:
This could have been said about the Gameboy Color or the GBA at the time of their successor's release though.

The GBA was killed prematurely to combat the PSP, though, and the GBC was really as much an extension of the ancient GB hardware as it was its own platform. It seems unlikely to me that any handheld competition could pop up that would force Nintendo to launch a successor early, and I would expect Sony to keep the PSP alive at this point given its sales renaissance and its position as their current most successful platform.

I think the most likely situation at this point is for Nintendo and Sony to both launch followup platforms at a point that's longer than anyone would have previously expected -- 2010-11, maybe.

Redd

Dragona Akehi said:
Yeah, my PS3 fan almost never comes on. I think it's come on... twice. Ever.

Wow seriously my ps3 fan always comes on if I'm up there for more than 15 minutes. Might be my model though and the fan doesn't really bother me anyway.

D.Lo

Segata Sanshiro said:
The PS3 is really, really quiet. Unbelievably quiet, actually. My Wii is certainly louder.
It's definitely anoying that Nintendo went from the low-load times quiet GameCube to the long load times noisy disc drive Wii. Although I have heard louder PS3s as well, I've heard the fan in a PAL 60GB model roar.

Minsc

Gold Member
D.Lo said:
It's definitely anoying that Nintendo went from the low-load times quiet GameCube to the long load times noisy disc drive Wii. Although I have heard louder PS3s as well, I've heard the fan in a PAL 60GB model roar.

Could it be due to the larger size of the Wii disc? I definetly agree the Wii is significantly louder than the gamecube when it spins up a disc, but I don't ever recall hearing it be so noisy with gamecube games. I'll have to pay more attention.

Do Gamecube games really load any slower in a Wii than they did in a gamecube? I haven't noticed this, so I'm not sure your loading comparison is valid.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Case said:
ya the only Wii game i noticed taking long to load is Brawl/

i've noticed some galaxy loading issues here and there, but definitely not anything that random n00bs would ever care about.

D.Lo

Just generally longer load times on the Wii, particularly (surprise surprise) third party games.

It's mostly to do with the chunk of 'useless' slow DRAM the GameCube had, which was used by most devs as a disc cache, giving the GCN by far the best load times of last gen. With the Wii all RAM is now useable, so is used for graphics etc. GameCube ports still run fast so are obviously just using the extra Wii RAM as the cache as before.

Of course, it could also just be that Ps2 ports and rush jobs have been shoved on Wii discs in a disorganised manner to cash in on sales. But Metroid Corruption, Super Paper Mario and Brawl all have much longer load times then their GCN versions did too.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
ksamedi said:
It may be silent in remote play, but remote play and WiiConnect24 are not the same thing.
I'm not sure what you're saying. They're both wake-on-LAN low power modes in which you can download/receive messages, etc..

And neither have any relevance to the sales of the consoles. You can't actually believe that..
Of PS3's many big problems that is certainly not one.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey, a bit off topic, but does anyone know when Nintendo's next Financial Results Briefing will come out?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Drkirby said:
Hey, a bit off topic, but does anyone know when Nintendo's next Financial Results Briefing will come out?

I think next week, I want to say the 23rd or 24th

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
felipeko said:
As always, around day 25.
So most likely next Friday? I am hoping for a Solid date on Kirby Wii :D (Or to have my hopes crushed and the game to disappear off the list ;-; )

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
D.Lo said:
It's definitely anoying that Nintendo went from the low-load times quiet GameCube to the long load times noisy disc drive Wii.
GCN drive was quiet because it was low-speed rotation, like the BR drive in PS3, it only had 2x spin. IIRC Wii DVD is 5x or 6x, which would definately be noiser.

But unfortunately Load-times, as I have said many times, are rarely a function of optical drive speed, especially with last generation of games.
IIRC Nintendo was enforcing load-time policies with GCN(something MS and Sony should TRY one of these das), and they probably just care less with Wii (and obviously the market doesn't mind).

donny2112

Drkirby said:

There was a Nintendo financial topic posted recently that said the 24th. That's the 24th, Japan Time, though.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
donny2112 said:
There was a Nintendo financial topic posted recently that said the 24th. That's the 24th, Japan Time, though.

OMG ITS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW

Innotech

Banned
Fafalada said:
GCN drive was quiet because it was low-speed rotation, like the BR drive in PS3, it only had 2x spin. IIRC Wii DVD is 5x or 6x, which would definately be noiser.

But unfortunately Load-times, as I have said many times, are rarely a function of optical drive speed, especially with last generation of games.
IIRC Nintendo was enforcing load-time policies with GCN(something MS and Sony should TRY one of these das), and they probably just care less with Wii (and obviously the market doesn't mind).
I certainly hate loadtimes, and some of Wii's games definitely push it, but its still shorter than Ps2 from the games Ive seen. However, Ive pretty much accepted loadtimes as a mainstay of disc based gaming. I also dont see installing games on a console HDD as a viable alternative.

Top Bottom