• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/31 - 4/6

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Airkiru said:
Impressive sales for Mario Kart and MHP2G, but what is happening to the PS3 over there. :lol

Same thing that's been happening for a year.

Vinci

Danish
HK-47 said:
Anybody have the good ole under 10,000 pole vaulting gif?

I wish I did. That, and the one with the dog jumping off the truck and twirling across the ground, are two of my favorites. Even if the latter makes me feel incredibly guilty.

Sharp

donny2112 said:
You just listed the top 4 games on the system. Congratulations! Every other game is < 400K in Famitsu numbers. I still find it ironic that that's the same barrier no PS3 game has crossed. Will FFXIII, FFXIII Versus, and Gran Turismo 5 be the Monster Hunter Portables for the PS3?
Sorry, I didn't realize 400k was the magic barrier for success. Even if you for some reason discount the top games, which seems pretty ridiculous anyway, I'm pretty sure PSP third-party software handily outdoes Wii third-party software, which, if you're not Nintendo and want to make games that take advantage of post-N64 technology, is a pretty good incentive. This is especially true since handheld titles usually have lower budgets than console games (yeah I know Wii games lololol) so the ROI is higher. Again, developers who want to continue to sell PS2-style games pretty much have the PSP as their only outlet, at least in Japan.

Syntek

Vinci said:
The Wiimote is lacking in technological sophistication?

It's purely innovation, it's sophisticated in that sense. You are gonna have a hard time convincing me that some IR sensors and gyro that can be slapped together for probably way less than $40 is breakthrough in technology. It's a breakthrough in IDEA, It's the way they implemented it with software that made it successful.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ksamedi said:
Those Mario Kart numbers are huge! Totally deserved as well. The Wii is becoming a software selling monster.

For their own software...wow breaking news right there

schuelma

Sharp said:
Sorry, I didn't realize 400k was the magic barrier for success. Even if you for some reason discount the top games, which seems pretty ridiculous anyway, I'm pretty sure PSP third-party software handily outdoes Wii third-party software, which, if you're not Nintendo and want to make games that take advantage of post-N64 technology, is a pretty good incentive. This is especially true since handheld titles usually have lower budgets than console games (yeah I know Wii games lololol) so the ROI is higher. Again, developers who want to continue to sell PS2-style games pretty much have the PSP as their only outlet, at least in Japan.

PSP definitely has a decent amount of 3rd party games that have sold between 150-250K, but those are mostly established franchise games which quite frankly haven't shown up very much on the Wii. If those games never come to the Wii, then yes, they will never sell.

Vinci

Danish
Syntek said:
It's purely innovation, it's sophisticated in that sense. You are gonna have a hard time convincing me that some IR sensors and gyro that can be slapped together for probably way less than $40 is breakthrough in technology. It's a breakthrough in IDEA, It's the way they implemented it with software that made it successful.

If what has been said before about Nintendo dumbing down the Wii's hardware for fear the controller would not be accepted is true, then its successor may very well be far more powerful from a graphical standpoint but that depends on how they want to follow the Wii up. I mean, I can't imagine what they'll do next time to maintain this sort of domination considering they can't just lean on the Wiimote's capabilities forever when the other hardware manufacturers are likely heading that direction -- or something similar -- next go-around.

ksamedi

Vinci said:
If what has been said before about Nintendo dumbing down the Wii's hardware for fear the controller would not be accepted is true, then its successor may very well be far more powerful from a graphical standpoint but that depends on how they want to follow the Wii up. I mean, I can't imagine what they'll do next time to maintain this sort of domination considering they can't just lean on the Wiimote's capabilities forever when the other hardware manufacturers are likely heading that direction -- or something similar -- next go-around.

Nintendo dumbed down the hardware because they wanted it to be small and silent and become a part of the living room where everybody has acces to it and everybody can get interested in it.

schuelma

HK-47 said:
Guess not. Sucks for 3rd parties

I'm the first to admit that Wii 3rd party sales aren't that good, but I do think its a valid point that 3rd parties by and large haven't released very compelling software.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
schuelma said:
I'm the first to admit that Wii 3rd party sales aren't that good, but I do think its a valid point that 3rd parties by and large haven't released very compelling software.

Ummm ok. Where did I say 3rd parties have done anything to deserves sales?

Vinci

Danish
ksamedi said:
Nintendo dumbed down the hardware because they wanted it to be small and silent and become a part of the living room where everybody has acces to it and everybody can get interested in it.

Yes, I read that Iwata Asks as well. And I'm sure that was part of the motivation, but I remember them specifically stating that they were worried whether the controller would resonate with people or alienate them from the system, and many proposed that they likely didn't invest too heavily into other hardware elements for fear that the Wii would fail.

DENKO said:
Mario Kart 64 160,363 / 192,577 / 105,564 / 1,711,661 / 9.37 %
Mario Kart AD 261,797 / 79,668 / 50,125 / 938,175 / 27.90 %
Mario Kart DD 179,230 / 67,662 / 40,054 / 825,894 / 21.70 %
Mario Kart DS 224,411 / 159,994 / 285,170 / 2,917,923 / 7.69 %
Mario Kart Wii 608,000 NEW!!

O_O

schuelma

HK-47 said:
Ummm ok. Where did I say 3rd parties have done anything to deserves sales?

You said "sucks for 3rd parties"

My point is it wouldn't suck for them quite so much if they gave more of an effort on the platform.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
schuelma said:
You said "sucks for 3rd parties"

My point is it wouldn't suck for them quite so much if they gave more of an effort on the platform.

So? I wasnt talking about that. You approached me with a point I wasnt arguing for or against.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ThanosOTitan said:
Do you think that The people upgrading from the PS2 are now opting for the PSP instead? I am no expert, but it seems the PSP may become more of the PS2's successor in the sony family. I do not think the PS3 will see success in Japan until there is a redesign to make is slimmer and smaller overall. Until then I think Sony should out more resources to pushing their current top selling platform over there. It may help them weather the storm in the short term, and help keep third party support. Lower Dev cost on the PSP, allow them the option of publishing their games a straight downloadable games rather than UMD to help stem the piracy effect. And allow them to reap a greater share of profits from the PSN downloads. This could help keep what they have/

PSP success =/= PS3 success

Before the DS life, the PSP had many chances to beat the DS. The PS3 NEVER EVER had this luxury.

It will take a miracle for the PS3 to be anything but 2nd place, it is the gamecube over again. Except the PS3 is bombing more than the cube.

schuelma

HK-47 said:
So? I wasnt talking about that. You approached me with a point I wasnt arguing for or against.

Ok, what were you talking about? It seemed that your implication was that the Wii audience wouldn't buy 3rd party software. My point is they might if they get better games.

Vinci

Danish
HK-47 said:

I think he was trying to determine what point you were making besides stating that it sucks to be 3rd parties. 'Cause that's not much of a conversation piece if it's stated within a vacuum.

ksamedi

Vinci said:
Yes, I read that Iwata Asks as well. And I'm sure that was part of the motivation, but I remember them specifically stating that they were worried whether the controller would resonate with people or alienate them from the system, and many proposed that they likely didn't invest too heavily into other hardware elements for fear that the Wii would fail.

I'm sure that had an inpact as well. I doubt Nintendo will ever travel the hardware power road again. Ofcourse with the Wii's succes and very high user rate, nobody can blame them.

schuelma

Hcoregamer00 said:
It will take a miracle for the PS3 to be anything but 2nd place, it is the gamecube over again. Except the PS3 is bombing more than the cube.

Anyone know how its tracking with the GC again?

Pureauthor said:
Crisis Core
Monster Hunter

And...?
Not to go LanceStern with a set number for success, but other than those there are still a good dozen 200+K games, and a few dozen more 100+K games.
Minsc said:
No screens (at all), no news at all for pretty much the last six months, and you think it is almost guaranteed? I'd love to share your optimism, but just how long was the N64 GCN one delayed for?
Err, not long at all? It came out 8 months after the N64 version, being a pretty straight port.
schuelma said:
Anyone know how its tracking with the GC again?
Image using Famitsu numbers. Each time PS3 or GCN has hit a holiday period, they've regained the lead.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
schuelma said:
Ok, what were you talking about? It seemed that your implication was that the Wii audience wouldn't buy 3rd party software. My point is they might if they get better games.

I was mocking ksamedi for bringing up a stupid point. Its quite obvious Wii is a software selling machine, but mostly for Nintendo right now. Just cause 3rd dont feel like making shit for the Wii doesnt change the fact that Nintendo software is the alpha and omega on the system

Vinci

Danish
ksamedi said:
I doubt Nintendo will ever travel the hardware power road again. Ofcourse with the Wii's succes and very high user rate, nobody can blame them.

It depends on what they want to do with the next machine. Their decision might surprise us or it might not. They've twice in a row announced systems that everyone thought was moronic in the beginning that have gone on to destroy all competitors, so who knows?

Jokeropia

Amazing start for Mario Kart!
tanod said:
I would agree with that.

I also think that Sony's best case scenario in Japan for the PS3 (hardware-wise) is to follow the same sort of pattern the PSP did. The PSP didn't do terribly well in the first two years of its release. It's only now in it's 3rd/4th year that it's picking up more sales.
As has been pointed out, PSP never did half as bad as the PS3 is.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HK-47 said:
I was mocking ksamedi for bringing up a stupid point. Its quite obvious Wii is a software selling machine, but mostly for Nintendo right now. Just cause 3rd dont feel like making shit for the Wii doesnt change the fact that Nintendo software is the alpha and omega on the system

Uh, actually, that does change the facts.

What's important is that A-level titles sell the way A-level titles should, B-level titles sell the way B-level titles should, and C-level titles sell the way C-level titles should. If companies release C-level titles, they should get C-level sales.

The problem with the Wii is that at the end of last year there were a series of bombs from all three of those categories where the titles substantially underperformed based on their stature.

Zack and Wiki not being a hit? Not a problem.
Zack and Wiki not even registering? Big problem.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stumpokapow said:
Uh, actually, that does change the facts.

What's important is that A-level titles sell the way A-level titles should, B-level titles sell the way B-level titles should, and C-level titles sell the way C-level titles should. If companies release C-level titles, they should get C-level sales.

The problem with the Wii is that at the end of last year there were a series of bombs from all three of those categories where the titles substantially underperformed based on their stature.

Zack and Wiki not being a hit? Not a problem.
Zack and Wiki not even registering? Big problem.

Umm I agree? Wii is Nintendo getting all the cake and 3rd parties getting scraps.

ksamedi

HK-47 said:

What was so stupid about it? Nowhere did I mention third parties in my post, you brought it up.

Umm I agree? Wii is Nintendo getting all the cake and 3rd parties getting scraps.

Well who's to blame for that? Nintendo who sells millions of every type of software?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ksamedi said:
What was so stupid about it? Nowhere did I mention third parties in my post, you brought it up.

I believe you brought up third parties. I just said Wii sells Nintendo software and this is nothing to be surprised by.

andthebeatgoeson

norinrad21 said:
They don't have anything to prove, its the 3rd parties that will be killing themselves without putting some serious effort into the wii.
I hope the big holiday game is a 3rd party game. Like RE5 or GTA4.

ksamedi

HK-47 said:
I believe you brought up third parties. I just said Wii sells Nintendo software and this is nothing to be surprised by.

Well..

ksamedi said:
Those Mario Kart numbers are huge! Totally deserved as well. The Wii is becoming a software selling monster.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Jokeropia said:
Amazing start for Mario Kart!As has been pointed out, PSP never did half as bad as the PS3 is.
But the software performance is very similar. So maybe you could accredit a lot of those PSP sales to those interested in it's media functions. The PS3 version of that audience being the Blu-Ray crowd, which doesn't seem to be there yet in Japan..

Minsc

Gold Member
JoshuaJSlone said:
Err, not long at all? It came out 8 months after the N64 version, being a pretty straight port.

I stand corrected, I fell in to the trap of confusing US issues with Japanese ones. Animal Crossing was originally planned for the N64 in the US too afaik, but late in the development cycle it got ported to the Gamecube. That's where I'm getting this idea of big delays, which does seem incorrect now.

@_@ at ps3. I thought this year the ps3 would stay above 10k in Japan on a weekly basis, at least. It's not even doing that. At least it's doing well in Europe and US. Nice numbers for Mario Kart. :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HK-47 said:

What are you agreeing with? Not me.

My point is that it doesn't matter if third party games aren't breaking 50k. It matters if third party games are the type of games that SHOULD break 50k and they don't.

There are about a half-dozen examples of cases where this happened, mostly all in a row at the end of last year (Zwiki, We Love Golf, Soul Calibur Legends, arguably Chocobo Wii, a few others). These are problem cases. These are fairly isolated though, as a lot of other software has done well. The Wii on the overall is still fairly healthy for third parties, and I suspect that Famitsu Top 500 will show healthy off-chart growth. (Haven't read much of the MC500 that just came out)

In other words, the PS3 is actually the problem system. Yeah, plenty of stuff has sold exceedingly well on an absolute standard (200k+ for most of the major games)--the problem is that those games that ARE selling that well are the sorts that should be selling much better.

donny2112

Sharp said:
Sorry, I didn't realize 400k was the magic barrier for success.

Sorry, I didn't say 400k was the magic barrier for success.

Sharp said:
Even if you for some reason discount the top games, which seems pretty ridiculous anyway, I'm pretty sure PSP third-party software handily outdoes Wii third-party software, which, if you're not Nintendo and want to make games that take advantage of post-N64 technology, is a pretty good incentive.

Did you just say that discounting the top games would be ridiculous and then proceed to discount first-party games? :lol

Sharp said:
Again, developers who want to continue to sell PS2-style games pretty much have the PSP as their only outlet, at least in Japan.

With nowhere near the ROI or even likely profit for their effort. PSP, in general, is not a good software platform for UMD games. In specific cases, that can vary.

Just to avoid this spiraling even further due to a misunderstanding, I was commenting that it was numerically ironic that all but four games on the PSP fall below the same line as all of the games on the PS3. No comment on profitability. No comment on success. It is possible to find the numbers themselves interesting without ascribing deeper meaning to the overall system's health. ;)

Epiphyte said:
Wait. are you saying Soul Calibur Legends deserved sales?

It was Death by Degrees with waggle

I think it's less a question of 'deserving' and more a question of what the people at Namco wanted out of it.

Epiphyte

Pureauthor said:
I think it's less a question of 'deserving' and more a question of what the people at Namco wanted out of it.
Ok, yeah

I just thought it was weird seeing it lumped in with quality like Z&W and WLG

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Epiphyte said:
Ok, yeah

I just thought it was weird seeing it lumped in with quality like Z&W and WLG

SCL is a disappointment cause it sold far below its brand and IP. WLG and Z&W are disappointing cause they sold far below their quality, and in WLG's case, sold poorly with a large base that should have jumped at the game

Jokeropia said:
Amazing start for Mario Kart!As has been pointed out, PSP never did half as bad as the PS3 is.
I'm being a bit stupid by going after hyperbole, but if I interpret "half as bad" to be the same as "twice as good", PSP's first few years don't reach the bar of half as bad as PS3. A doubled PS3 would through 73 weeks be ahead of PSP hardware by 18% and software by about 44%.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
HK-47 said:
SCL is a disappointment cause it sold far below its brand and IP.

scl is a piece of shit... every copy it sold was one to much.....

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
cw_sasuke said:
scl is a piece of shit... every copy it sold was one to much.....

And all that shovelware just like SCL on the PS2 that sold a ton isnt? Or all the shit on Wii? At least SCL should have had recognizability

Top Bottom