• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/31 - 4/6

Ydahs

Very impressive sales by MKWii. It's probably already at a million worldwide, as it did REALLY well in the UK.

I can see this finishing off well above SMG and even SSBB in terms of sales.

My God is Nintendo making a lot of money. Each Wii sold brings in a lot of money itself. Brawl, SMG, Wiifit, MKWii, Wii Play are going to be/are 5+ million sellers...

Impressive number for MHG2 and nice to see MKDS back on the chart :D

No boost at all for Wii despite a 600k opening week seller and the PS3 is in serious trouble. Bring on FFXIII!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
Mario Kart Wii's sales don't surprise me at all. It's a great product, and even the Wii Wheel isn't such a bad way to play the game. Expect it to beat Smash Bros. X in the long run.

Agree, and it looks like MK sales might have eaten into Smash a bit- not in the top 10 and under 15K.

Minsc

Gold Member
gkrykewy said:
The 8400 number is particularly striking given that many folks thought a new weekly baseline of 25-30k had been reached post-holiday. Looks like no.

Is MKWii the biggest release of the year Nintendo had left for the Wii? Only 50k for hardware? I really expected more.

600K for MKWii's first week is amazing though, and those MHP2G legs are very nice too!

Wow at PS3 back down to under 10K, Wii Fit is still gaining ground on it, a small bit slower though.

DiddyBop

on one hand the ps3 sales are abysmal...but sony has to be happy with the super strong psp sales as of late. the psp will be extremely close with the DS all year long this year. as for the ps3...im sure sony is worried. they are prolly pressuring square to finish up fxiii quickly so they can launch it with a lower priced ps3 slim.

Complete chart:

PSP 90.000
Wii 50.000
DSL 41.000
PS3 8.400
PS2 8.200
360 2.200

1.) [Wii] Mario Kart Wii 608.000 [608.000]
2.) [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G 206.000 [1.582.000]
3.) [PS2] Musou Orochi: Maou Sairin 64.000 [284.000]
4.) [Wii] Wii Fit 29.000 [1.829.000]
5.) [NDS] Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage 28.000 [428.000]
6.) [PS2] Pro Baseball Sprits 5 24.000 [104.000]
7.) [NDS] Yoiko's life on uninhabited island 22.000 [63.000]
8.) [PSP] Star Ocean 2: Second Evolution 18.000 [108.000]
9.) [NDS] Beautiful Letter Training DS 15.000 [146.000]
10.) [NDS] Mario Kart DS 15.000 [2.951.000]

11.) [Wii] Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku! 15.000 [123.000]
12.) [Wii] Super Smash Bros. Brawl 14.000 [1.592.000]
13.) [PS3] Pro Baseball Sprits 5 11.000 [61.000]
14.) [NDS] Sim City DS 2 11.000 [96.000]
15.) [Wii] Wii Play 10.000 [2.282.000]
16.) [Wii] Wii Sports 9.600 [2.863.000]
17.)
18.) [NDS] Oshiri Kaziri Mushi: Lesson of Rhythm DS 6.300 [6.300]
19.)
20.) [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. 5.300 [5.142.000]
21.) [PSP] Mugen Kairou 5.200 [53.000]
22.)
23.) [NDS] Mario Party DS 5.000 [1.672.000]
24.) [NDS] Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 5.000 [66.000]
25.) [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 4.600 [293.000]
26.)
27.) [NDS] My Household Budget Diary 4.300 [475.000]
28.) [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS 4.200 [368.000]
29.) [NDS] Animal Crossing 4.100 [4.635.000]
30.)

** [360] Turok 3.100
** [PS2] Shinkyoku Sōkai Polyphonica Full Pack 2.200
** [PS2] Battle of Sunrise 2.200
** [NDS] Shion no Ō 710
** [Wii] Karous /

Kenka

Other softs (in the Top 30) :

11. Deca Sporta (Wii) : about 15k (total about 123k)

12. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) : about 14k (total about 1.59m)

13. Pro Baseball Sprits 5 (PS3) : about 11k (total about 61k)

14. Sim City DS 2 (DS) : abuot 11k (total about 96k)

15. Wii Play (Wii) : about 10k (total about 2.28m)

16. Wii Sports (Wii) : about 9.6k (total about 2.86m)

20. New Super Mario Bros. (DS) : about 5.3k (total about 5.14m)

21. Mugen Kairou (PSP) : about 5.2k (total about 53k)

23. Mario Party DS (DS) : about 5.0k (total about 1.67m)

24. Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (DS) : about 5.0k (about 46k)

25. Mario & Sonic at Beijing Olympics (DS) : about 4.6k (total about 293k)

27. My Household Budget Diary (DS) : about 4.3k (total about 475k)

28. Taiko Drum Master DS (DS) : about 4.2k (total about 368k)

29. Animal Crossing (DS) : about 4.1k (total about 4.64m)

EDIT : blah

DENKO

Mario Kart 64 160,363 / 192,577 / 105,564 / 1,711,661 / 9.37 %
Mario Kart AD 261,797 / 79,668 / 50,125 / 938,175 / 27.90 %
Mario Kart DD 179,230 / 67,662 / 40,054 / 825,894 / 21.70 %
Mario Kart DS 224,411 / 159,994 / 285,170 / 2,917,923 / 7.69 %
Mario Kart Wii 608,000 NEW!!

schuelma

The hardware race is over and has been for a while.

The interesting question to me is where will the bulk of the 3rd party support go.

Will they switch to Wii?

Will they suck it up and go PS3/360 and hope to recoup money in the West?

Or will they stick with PS2 and DS.

That's where the drama is IMO.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Captain Smoker said:
2.) [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G 206.000 [1.582.000]
12.) [Wii] Super Smash Bros. Brawl 14.000 [1.592.000]
Famitsu has delayed someone's wish another week.

Minsc said:
Is MKWii the biggest release of the year Nintendo had left for the Wii?
Is this an honest question? It's April.

schuelma

Nice hold for Deca sports, bet it will get to 200K before it dies down.

Smash took a dive..looks like MK Wii is taking some of its audience.

Minsc said:
Is MKWii the biggest release of the year Nintendo had left for the Wii? Only 50k for hardware? I really expected more.

Wii Music should be out this year and it has the potential - provided it shapes up to be as complete a package as something like Wii Fit - to do very well. Animal Crossing is regularly hinted at for this year as well, but everything else is either lower-key - Mario Super Sluggers/Baseball, Disaster etc. - or completely under wraps.

test_account

XP-39C²
There is one thing i've been wondering for a while, i've seen several of people comparing Wiifit to PS3 when it comes to salenumbers, why is this? Is it only for fun or did i miss some statements regarding PS3 and Wiifit in the same context?

schuelma

Cosmonaut X said:
Wii Music should be out this year and it has the potential - provided it shapes up to be as complete a package as something like Wii Fit - to do very well. Animal Crossing is regularly hinted at for this year as well, but everything else is either lower-key - Mario Super Sluggers/Baseball, Disaster etc. - or completely under wraps.

I think Animal Crossing in December is a mortal lock.

tanod

when is my burrito
schuelma said:
The hardware race is over and has been for a while.

The interesting question to me is where will the bulk of the 3rd party support go.

Will they switch to Wii?

Will they suck it up and go PS3/360 and hope to recoup money in the West?

Or will they stick with PS2 and DS.

That's where the drama is IMO.

As far as the PS3 is concerned, I think to a large degree, it's already obvious. Nobody in Japan wants to or knows how to make PS3 games. The software output has just been abysmal. You'd think the console was still in its launch drought.

schuelma

test_account said:
There is one thing i've been wondering for a while, i've seen several of people comparing Wiifit to PS3 when it comes to salenumbers, why is this? Is it only for fun or did i miss some statements regarding PS3 and Wiifit in the same context?

It's just fun to track when the Wii Fit userbase will be bigger than the PS3's.

Do you think that The people upgrading from the PS2 are now opting for the PSP instead? I am no expert, but it seems the PSP may become more of the PS2's successor in the sony family. I do not think the PS3 will see success in Japan until there is a redesign to make is slimmer and smaller overall. Until then I think Sony should out more resources to pushing their current top selling platform over there. It may help them weather the storm in the short term, and help keep third party support. Lower Dev cost on the PSP, allow them the option of publishing their games a straight downloadable games rather than UMD to help stem the piracy effect. And allow them to reap a greater share of profits from the PSN downloads. This could help keep what they have/

Lobster

Banned
DENKO said:
Mario Kart 64 160,363 / 192,577 / 105,564 / 1,711,661 / 9.37 %
Mario Kart AD 261,797 / 79,668 / 50,125 / 938,175 / 27.90 %
Mario Kart DD 179,230 / 67,662 / 40,054 / 825,894 / 21.70 %
Mario Kart DS 224,411 / 159,994 / 285,170 / 2,917,923 / 7.69 %
Mario Kart Wii 608,000 NEW!!

Holy crap!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
schuelma said:
Or will they stick with PS2

The PS2 is d-e-a-d.

Nippon Ichi is done with the system. Atlus will be done after this summer. It's just Namco and KOEI left among Eastern developers. Among Western developers, God of War 2 was really the last substantial PS2 title. At this point it's just multiplat stuff, licences, and localizations.

test_account said:

I think the - semi-serious - point being made is that Wii Fit is on its way to outselling the PS3, so very soon a peripheral will have a larger install base than the successor to the PS2.

Vinnk

Which year is the "Year of the PS3" again?

It's just getting sad. I was hoping for a close console race this gen so everyone stays on their toes. But now Nintendo doesn't even have to try. And is it just me or does Sony Japan look like it is just losing the will to fight.

Sony USA and Europe are still fighting hard but Sony Japan seems to be rolling over to die. I haven;t seen a big Sony hardware ad campaign here in ages and other than Gran Turismo, it has been pretty quite on the hardware from as well.

Have they decided to put all their eggs in the PSP basket?

schuelma

tanod said:
As far as the PS3 is concerned, I think to a large degree, it's already obvious. Nobody in Japan wants to or knows how to make PS3 games. The software output has just been abysmal. You'd think the console was still in its launch drought.

I think there's still a slight chance that companies will keep making their big budget games on PS3/360, at least in terms of games with some Western appeal.

The Wii userbase still has a lot to prove with 3rd parties.

Neo C.

Minsc said:
Who doesn't?
The non-bump is more interesting than the 600k MKWii.
I think it's time for AC and Wii Music, though both titles are most probably for the second half of the year.

schuelma

Stumpokapow said:
The PS2 is d-e-a-d.

Nippon Ichi is done with the system. Atlus will be done after this summer. It's just Scamco and KOEI left among Eastern developers. Among Western developers, God of War 2 was really the last substantial PS2 title. At this point it's just multiplat stuff, licences, and localizations.

You say that, and yet it seems like PS2 keeps getting good games announced.

ccbfan

Three main things this week.

1. The major power of MHP2:G. For an expansion to do this is insane, should surpass 2 mil. Whats even more amazing though is the PSP hardware bump. I mean WTF, this is easily the most signifcant software induced bump I've seen in a while. That means a lot of new MH players are coming aboard.

2. Great MK:Wii first week numbers, MK: Wii is going to outsell Brawl. Its going to have the usual MK legs plus its the kind of game the casual Wii fanbase loves. The lack of a significant hardware bump is kinda weird though, especially since this is the 2nd time its happenned this year. (There was only a small bump with Brawl too)

3. PS3 is in trouble. Never thought hardware will drop to 4 digits again this quickly.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
It's just fun to track when the Wii Fit userbase will be bigger than the PS3's.
Cosmonaut X said:
I think the - semi-serious - point being made is that Wii Fit is on its way to outselling the PS3, so very soon a peripheral will have a larger install base than the successor to the PS2.

Ok, thanks for the info :) Ye, i agree that it is abit crazy that an game accessory sells (most likely atleast) more than a console. Its a relatively big price difference though, but still.

schuelma

ccbfan said:
The lack of a significant hardware bump is kinda weird though, especially since this is the 2nd time its happenned this year. (There was only a small bump with Brawl too)

I think the easy answer is that the Smash and MK audience is already on board with Wii.

tanod

when is my burrito
schuelma said:
I think there's still a slight chance that companies will keep making their big budget games on PS3/360, at least in terms of games with some Western appeal.

The Wii userbase still has a lot to prove with 3rd parties.

I would agree with that.

I also think that Sony's best case scenario in Japan for the PS3 (hardware-wise) is to follow the same sort of pattern the PSP did. The PSP didn't do terribly well in the first two years of its release. It's only now in it's 3rd/4th year that it's picking up more sales.

schuelma

PS3 will hit 2 million this week on Media Create. YAY

tanod said:
I would agree with that.

I also think that Sony's best case scenario in Japan for the PS3 (hardware-wise) is to follow the same sort of pattern the PSP did. The PSP didn't do terribly well in the first two years of its release. It's only now in it's 3rd/4th year that it's picking up more sales.

only 1 game sells though

Totalriot

Cosmonaut X said:

Usually peripherals do not have very large 3rd party support (see EyeToy) but if the Balance Board outsells the PS3, developers might put some resources there as well.

Sharp

frankie_baby said:
only 1 game sells though
That's not really true. Plenty of games sell on the PSP--it's definitely a viable third-party platform. It doesn't generally sell at DS levels, and certainly not to the point that it could be called a PS2 successor, but for a lot of developers it's the most affordable option for their games now that the PS2 is finally dying / dead.

Totalriot said:
Usually peripherals do not have very large 3rd party support (see EyeToy) but if the Balance Board outsells the PS3, developers might put some resources there as well.

well the only 3rd party game to use it so far is the very low-profile family ski which has already sold over 100K, more than most ps3 games

Sharp said:
That's not really true. Plenty of games sell on the PSP--it's definitely a viable third-party platform. It doesn't generally sell at DS levels, and certainly not to the point that it could be called a PS2 successor, but for a lot of developers it's the most affordable option for their games now that the PS2 is finally dying / dead.
Yeah, it's a viable choice in a very unfriendly market.

Sharp said:

Crisis Core
Monster Hunter

And...?

Spiegel

frankie_baby said:
well the only 3rd party game to use it so far is the very low-profile family ski which has already sold over 100K, more than most ps3 games

And more than most 3rd party Wii games. The game sells because Wii Fit owners have nothing more to play compatible with the balance board

Neomoto

Both Super Smash Bros. Brawl AND Mario Kart Wii didn't cause a significant hardware bump. Pretty telling since they sell so good and some high profile developers where stating that the Wii didn't had the installed audience to support "real games".

Mario Kart Wii did brilliantly compared to other installments. :) It should have easily past the million mark in it's first week -- without America. It'll probably have serious legs, it did more than twice it's first day numbers in it's first week and will likely keep on selling to new owners, just like it's older brother did.

And awesome that Mario Kart DS shows up in the top 10 so that the Mario Kart franchise encapsulates all other games in the top 10.

PS3 was already on life support before, now it's pretty much in a coma.. PSP keeps doing pretty darn well, I hope it won't just stop again once Monster Hunter is done selling.

Nocebo

Totalriot said:
According to an interview with Reggie 10 titles are in development that make use of the balance board. I don't know if that statement included family ski, though. Another game I know of is the Don King Prize fighter game (sadly, it seems the use is limited to minigames).

Spiegel said:
And more than most 3rd party Wii games. The game sell because Wii Fit owners have nothing more to play compatible with the balance board
Which is one point that could make it an even more viable platform for games and generating profit than the PS3.

Minsc

Gold Member
schuelma said:
I think Animal Crossing in December is a mortal lock.

No screens (at all), no news at all for pretty much the last six months, and you think it is almost guaranteed? I'd love to share your optimism, but just how long was the N64 GCN one delayed for?

Wii Music could be big I agree, just look at Guitar Hero. Wii Music would cater to an entirely different crowd too, maybe some overlap.

test_account

XP-39C²
I just noticed that Echo Chrome (Mugen Kairou) is still within the top 30. Not huge salenumbers though, but it didnt drop out of the charts at once atleast :)

Spiegel said:
And more than most 3rd party Wii games. The game sell because Wii Fit owners have nothing more to play compatible with the balance board
Right, it's not selling because it's an appealing concept fairly well-executed. It's selling cuz it's the only other thing they can play. Like how Tincrash lit the fucking charts on fire on the SNES.

Top Bottom