• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6 Feb ~ 12 Feb

Rhindle said:
I just don't see an American housewife going out and buying a game console for herself. I can see that being viewed as a chic and trendy thing to do in Japan, but not in America.

If they took Brain Training and put that up as a downloadable on Yahoo Games, that might sell pretty well.

I don't think you read what I said right.

They're not thinking housewives are going to buy it for herself.

They want them to buy it for their young children.

AniHawk said:
Especially when she should be in the kitchen or cleaning.
highfive5zm.jpg

Rhindle

I <3 Katamari said:
I don't think you read what I said right.

They're not thinking housewives are going to buy it for herself.

They want them to buy it for their young children.
Well, it's not being marketed as a children's game, it's being marketed as an adult novelty product. Just look at the tag line.

I still cant picture the mentality of American Mom's and or Dads going out and buying a handheld game for this. Thats my own personal opinion. Our culture is so shielded by the thought of image, that the parents will find playing those games to be "kiddy" no matter how adult they may seem.

I always am happy to see an older adult come in and buy a game on the Xbox or PS2 like Halo or something, cause its just different to see it for me. Literally 75% of the customers at a game store are like 21 or younger sadly.

E-phonk

Banned
Nintendo had the housewives and parents once before. I remember a LOT of parents playing tetris in the early 90's. My father loved it for example, and it's still the only game he plays sometimes.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Chibbi Brady said:
MHP legs are very impressive, it just keeps going and going. Surely the biggest seller now for the PSP.

Quite easy to have legs when you're the only piece of PSP software worth owning :lol

underfooter said:
i_8832.jpg

Yeah, every kid in America will want one of these. ..... :lol

Except that it isnt aimed at kids. They really should have kept the Japanese names - "Adult Brain Training" etc.

underfooter said:
Maybe the Japanese culture like it, but here it is just paying money to do school OUT OF school. Numbers aren't cool.

It's nothing like your homework. And the point is that most kids dont enjoy "numbers" etc because they learn about it in the rigid, hate-filled confines of the school walls. Think of something you are really interested in....go to school to learn about it and you will hate it within months.

Rhindle said:
I just don't see an American housewife going out and buying a game console for herself. I can see that being viewed as a chic and trendy thing to do in Japan, but not in America.

was it always chic and trendy to do that in Japan? In the US, with a handheld DS they won't even need to waddle over to the PC to play games, they can just pull the DS from out of one of their belly flaps and play whereever they are beached at that point in time

Holy shit, 10k DS for the week. When did Nintendo restart the restocking after this Chinese New Year thing (have they even started yet? ^^)?

Amir0x

Banned
MrSardonic said:
Quite easy to have legs when you're the only piece of PSP software worth owning :lol

"Plenty" of PSP software worth owning, it's just that only this one is actually selling!

Beowvlf

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Hell no. It's not GAF's problem that Heian-kyo's a damn PSP-fanboy/DS-troll/both who's playing the tired "non-game" angle to somehow explain why the DS is owning his portable of choice. He made things very clear for me when he posted fake Canadian NPD numbers.

Maybe I'll just spoiler tag them because we all love him.
Instead of automatically thinking I just want to see more PSP stuff (which doesn't make sense anyways, becuase omitting the Brain Training games is barely going to help in that regard), maybe you should actually think about what omitting those games would do. It would give a greater focus to other games, because as much as you like to think everyone loves your Top 100 lists (and don't get me wrong, they are much appreciated here) you know as well as I do that the vast majority of GAF looks at the Top 10 (maybe Top 20) at the most.

Where's the discussion on all the other games, good or bad sales? And not just PSP, but PS2 and DS as well. Of course this line of thinking might be a bit too logical for you, but my comment was simple. Already knowing almost half of the list before entering the thread = not interesting. But if you'd prefer to simply label me as a 'Sony sexpot', that's cool too. Whatever you prefer.

MrSardonic

Heian-kyo said:
maybe you should actually think about what omitting those games would do.

Why? Next time let's remove the violent games like GTA from the charts next time, or maybe all the generic sports titles...wtf.

Beowvlf

Banned
MrSardonic said:
Why? Next time let's remove the violent games like GTA from the charts next time, or maybe all the generic sports titles...wtf.
It's not about removing the Brain Training titles for a specific reason related to them, it's about removing them to allow focus on the many other titles released, rather than having half the chart taken up with the same titles over and over, and the discussion in every Media Create thread limited to repetitive Nintendo fapping.

Hence, more interesting. Do people really still find it interesting that Brain Training is still selling well?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
A_Lee_N said:
How much did Bleach DS sell? I don't think I've seen it in any charts.
It made the charts the first week with ~25-30K. But dropped out the next week due to shortages and no restocks until after the holidays. Basically it's suffering from the same thing as the DS.

MrSardonic

Heian-kyo said:
It's not about removing the Brain Training titles for a specific reason related to them, it's about removing them to allow focus on the many other titles released, rather than having half the chart taken up with the same titles over and over, and the discussion in every Media Create thread limited to repetitive Nintendo fapping.

Hence, more interesting. Do people really still find it interesting that Brain Training is still selling well?

wtf? shhhh

Heian-kyo said:

It's a chart/sales thread for a reason, it allows us know what is selling and what isn't. Any new release that doesn't make it into the Top 10 usually isn't selling enough copies to be noticed. If you want them, request for them. Brain Training games shouldn't be removed because a select few are annoyed or tired with its success.

Beowvlf

Banned
Magicpaint said:
It's a chart/sales thread for a reason, it allows us know what is selling and what isn't. Any new release that doesn't make it into the Top 10 usually isn't selling enough copies to be noticed. If you want them, request for them. Brain Training games shouldn't be removed because a select few are annoyed or tired with its success.
This is a good point, but sadly few pay much attention to numbers 11-30, and asking about a specific game rarely elicits discussion on it, which is my point. It's not about knowing what sold what, or pretending lower games sold better than they did, my point is simply to encourage discussion on other titles, and being in the Top 10 would help in that regard.

Of course, there isn't much discussion in any sales threads on GAF, so it's not just a problem within Media Create threads. Maybe others here aren't interested in discussing the numbers, but rather just knowing them.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Heian-kyo said:

You can have that if we remove movies like MGS or Indigo Prophecy as well.
yes I am being sarcastic, your request is ridiculous

RaijinFY

This is a good point, but sadly few pay much attention to numbers 11-30

Now that's a valid point. I dont care a shit if those BT games performed well. Sure that's good for the industry and nfans can glorify their favourite company and this expands the market, but I want to know how the more "traditional" games perform too. Mainly why I've been always more interested in the monthly Famitsu numbers.

RaijinFY

No thanks! First time is great, second, third, x... time is ok but now it has been used to death, it gets really annoying. :/

MrSardonic

Furoba said:
Xbox 360 might not even sell as much as Xbox in Japan... Why does Microsoft bother?

They do it for GAF comedy threads. Bill Gates is a philanthropist

Heian-kyo said:

I bet Microsoft would love to have the PS2, GC, GBASP, and every other system that is usually ahead of it to be removed as well. Did people still find it interesting when the PS2 was selling a hundreds of times more than the Xbox? Yes. I somehow doubt that you'd push for a similar movement if the top ten usually contained 3-5 Final Fantasies.

+1 For the people who are interested in Brain Trainings sales (me).

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Heian kyo you are the most transparent troll ever.

why dont we talk about 11-30? cause what is there to talk about? OH ZOMBIE VS AMBULANCE SOLD 5000 COPIES BIG WOOP

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Will Nintendo continue to manufacture normal DS after DS Lite is released? (I'm assuming no but still curious)

Though DS sales were very down, it's still true as I said last week that they could go a few weeks of 0 sales before falling behind last year. At +15.1%, DS remains the only system with YTD growth year over year. PSP at -14.4% is the only other individual system to not be down by over 40%. If you look at the combined total for different GBA models rather than just looking at the original and SP compared to last year, though, and thus allow Micro to factor in, it's down only 39.5%.

The company YTDYOYs are still pretty funny, though.

Nintendo: -6.3%
Sony: -30.0%
Microsoft: +606.9%

Heian-kyo said:
?? Things like that become more interesting with time as so few titles have such long-lasting popularity.

cvxfreak

Heian-kyo said:

Again, that's why we have the monthly Famitsu charts.

AniHawk

Heian-kyo said:
This is a good point, but sadly few pay much attention to numbers 11-30, and asking about a specific game rarely elicits discussion on it, which is my point. It's not about knowing what sold what, or pretending lower games sold better than they did, my point is simply to encourage discussion on other titles, and being in the Top 10 would help in that regard.

Of course, there isn't much discussion in any sales threads on GAF, so it's not just a problem within Media Create threads. Maybe others here aren't interested in discussing the numbers, but rather just knowing them.

Oh, man. You shouldn't've done that.

Roders5 said:
Will Nintendo continue to manufacture normal DS after DS Lite is released? (I'm assuming no but still curious)

1. PSP: 24,977 (310,253)
2. PS2: 23,383 (217,840)
3. DS: 10,223 (351,802)
4. GBASP: 5,405 (52,337)
5. GBMicro: 2,934 (32,588)

6. GC: 2,025 (30,577)
7. Xbox360: 1,288 (22,657)
8. GBA: 150 (1478)
9. Xbox: 84 (671)

Why would you assume no?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
JoshuaJSlone said:
Though DS sales were very down, it's still true as I said last week that they could go a few weeks of 0 sales before falling behind last year. At +15.1%, DS remains the only system with YTD growth year over year. PSP at -14.4% is the only other individual system to not be down by over 40%. If you look at the combined total for different GBA models rather than just looking at the original and SP compared to last year, though, and thus allow Micro to factor in, it's down only 39.5%.

The company YTDYOYs are still pretty funny, though.

Nintendo: -6.3%
Sony: -30.0%
Microsoft: +606.9%
Momentum :D

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Roders5 said:
They already said they would (it'll be slightly cheaper than the DSL).

jamesinclair said:
Anyone have a link to these daytime brain training ads?
They haven't aired yet.

Top Bottom