• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Oct 19-25, 2009

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
well if they couldn't afford the plastic to print a second shipment in time, the larger console sized boxes would have given them even more trouble

I don't think it's an issue of being undershipped though. Usually when a game like this is undershipped and there's still constant demand, they have an immediate notification on the website to apologize for the resupply delay. With SJ I've not heard it running out of stock in any significant way, nor have people complained of not being able to buy it. The game is still readily available on all online retailers as well, including Amazon Japan, with a 12 dollar discount even. Sadly, I have to admit that it just seems the demand for this game is nowhere near what we hoped or anticipated.

cvxfreak

kpop100 said:
The most popular model since July has been the 3GS 32GB model. So while you are right in some respect, the most expensive model and the one that is most definitely not free is the one people want. Either way you look at it the iPhone has turned the corner though, the demand is there.

It is there, but only as a phone model and not a standard.

The sales of iPhone in other countries tells people that they're interested in the standards that it is bringing forth to the industry. The same cannot be said of Japan. Sure, the phone sells and you'll see people using it, but so far, it's not a threat to the very idea of keitai.

Brofist

cvxfreak said:
It is there, but only as a phone model and not a standard.

The sales of iPhone in other countries tells people that they're interested in the standards that it is bringing forth to the industry. The same cannot be said of Japan. Sure, the phone sells and you'll see people using it, but so far, it's not a threat to the very idea of keitai.

Yeah I agree there. Still considering where it was when the 3G was released it's come a long way.

Road said:
Famitsu leak, sales for Oct. 26 to Nov. 01:

01. [PS3] Bayonetta (Sega) - 138,000 / NEW
02. [PS3] Tekken 6 (Bandai Namco Games) - 120,000 / NEW

05. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 73,000 / 733,000

10. [WII] Super Robot Taisen Neo (Bandai Namco Games) - 32,000 / NEW

Hardware:

PSP 42000
PS3 37000
PSPgo 28000

DSi 36000
Wii 27000
DSL 4400

they are back...

p.s. : and just 50k between Wii LTD and PS3 LTD

Yeah it's really great to see so many new releases in the top 10!

PSP 42000
PSPgo 28000
DSi 36000
DSL 4400

It'll be interesting to see if the PSPGo will start outselling the PSP3000. My guess is no. The DSi easily outsells the DSLite at this point, though I wonder how the LL will splinter the market.

cvxfreak

kpop100 said:
Yeah I agree there. Still considering where it was when the 3G was released it's come a long way.

My ultimate phone would be an iPhone geared towards Japan's cellphone industry. Imagine if the thing can use 1Seg, Mobile Suica and lasted 2 days before the battery dying. :lol :lol

And on a non-Softbank carrier. :(

Somnid

danielijohnson said:
It'll be interesting to see if the PSPGo will start outselling the PSP3000. My guess is no. The DSi easily outsells the DSLite at this point, though I wonder how the LL will splinter the market.

The Lite probably won't last too much longer to be honest. For Nintendo it doesn't really matter what model is on top. I doubt it will be the LL though.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Moor-Angol said:
they are back...

p.s. : and just 50k between Wii LTD and PS3 LTD

Wow.

So the consensus is that unless NSMB Wii really changes the Wii's fortunes, the boost that the PS3 will get from FFXIII will wind up making it sell more than the Wii YTD?

Reminds me of last years PSP vs DS battle which the PSP won the first 10-11 months, then failed within the last 6 weeks with the Pre-DSi launch, and the DSi launch.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DMeisterJ said:
Wow.

So the consensus is that unless NSMB Wii really changes the Wii's fortunes, the boost that the PS3 will get from FFXIII will wind up making it sell more than the Wii LTD?

I don't think that is the consensus at all and I find it extremely unlikely. I know everyone is probably sick of this post, but if you look back at what the Wii has done during the holiday season I think you will find that PS3 beating it in December is very unlikely, unless you think FF13 is going to lead to PS3 selling like 400K from the 17th-31st.

cvxfreak

w19ve1.png

Good luck DQIX. :(

DMeisterJ said:
Wow.

So the consensus is that unless NSMB Wii really changes the Wii's fortunes, the boost that the PS3 will get from FFXIII will wind up making it sell more than the Wii LTD?
I think you mean YTD?

duckroll said:
I don't think it's an issue of being undershipped though. Usually when a game like this is undershipped and there's still constant demand, they have an immediate notification on the website to apologize for the resupply delay. With SJ I've not heard it running out of stock in any significant way, nor have people complained of not being able to buy it. The game is still readily available on all online retailers as well, including Amazon Japan, with a 12 dollar discount even. Sadly, I have to admit that it just seems the demand for this game is nowhere near what we hoped or anticipated.
erm, it's out of stock everywhere here. Sofmap, Yodobashi, Ito Yokado, SATY, Messe Sanoh, Book Off (new copies), Asobit... the only evidence the game even existed (for the last couple weeks) are the used copies and a single boxed copy left on the shelves with the "Sorry, out of stock" tag on it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Sadist said:
Impressive @ PS3.
Sony now has the magic combo: best hardware + best software. PS3 Slim will dominate in each territory for a long time to come, first on the HD front, and if the wand does get released in march, in wii's market as well.

PS3's userbase is going to be above the 360 one by March and Microsoft will need Natal to be very successful to resist PS3's rise to redemption. People who have money now want a PS3.

DMeisterJ

Banned
schuelma said:
I don't think that is the consensus at all and I find it extremely unlikely. I know everyone is probably sick of this post, but if you look back at what the Wii has done during the holiday season I think you will find that PS3 beating it in December is very unlikely, unless you think FF13 is going to lead to PS3 selling like 400K from the 17th-31st.

You don't think that the Wii being down a lot YOY and the PS3 being up YOY will change what they have done in previous Decembers? Along with a FFXIII boost?

ksamedi

schuelma said:

I dunno, I kind of do believe FF13 will give the PS3 a huge boost. The PS3 user base is rather small for a traditionally 2 million + selling game. The other possibility is that FF13 will sell considerably less than its predecessor.

duckroll

Segata Sanshiro said:
erm, it's out of stock everywhere here. Sofmap, Yodobashi, Ito Yokado, SATY, Messe Sanoh, Book Off (new copies), Asobit... the only evidence the game even existed (for the last couple weeks) are the used copies and a single boxed copy left on the shelves with the "Sorry, out of stock" tag on it.

Well, it might be physically out of stock in stores, but is there really foaming demand for stores to order a huge restock for the title? Especially with P3P now out, I fear that Atlus has unintentionally cannibalized their own sales, and cut their own legs off.

V_Arnold

schuelma said:

Except that PlayStation 3 is riding an upward wave, while Wii has been fallen down a lot comparing to the previous year's performance. There is nothing to drive Wii as much as it has been drove before, or more importantly: no healthy stream of games. On the other side, PlayStation 3 has been enjoying a fair success since relaunch, and there are plenty of high-profile games (sic!), and more importantly, a mainline Final Fantasy game in december.

I ,for one, am not saying that Wii sales will not be increased by a "lot" since it is holiday season after all, and all console's interest will bump, but I think that PlayStation 3 has all the chances to gain a higher increase than Wii do. New price, new machine, new Final Fantasy, and the buzz.

Road

schuelma said:
I know everyone is probably sick of this post...
I don't know how you have the patience to repeat that two, three times every MC thread. :lol

It's the most likely scenario, though.

marc^o^ said:
Sony now has the magic combo: best hardware + best software. PS3 Slim will dominate in each territory for a long time to come, first on the HD front, and if the wand does get released in march, in wii's market as well.

PS3's userbase is going to be above the 360 one by March and Microsoft will need Natal to be very successful to resist PS3's rise to redemption. People who have money now want a PS3.

This is surrender™?

Good to see the PS3 selling well after finally getting a more manageable price point. Next-next gen lesson learned, no more $599 consoles.

PS3 sales aren't even trending downards anymore, and with Winning Eleven (despite being a total POS) and Final Fantasy on the way I don't see that changing in November or December.

onken

marc^o^ said:

That's some serious optimism there, chum.

ksamedi

duckroll said:
Well, it might be physically out of stock in stores, but is there really foaming demand for stores to order a huge restock for the title? Especially with P3P now out, I fear that Atlus has unintentionally cannibalized their own sales, and cut their own legs off.

Yeah I find that strange as well. I guess the stock was just enough.

schuelma

DMeisterJ said:
You don't think that the Wii being down a lot YOY and the PS3 being up YOY will change what they have done in previous Decembers? Along with a FFXIII boost?

- PS3 will be higher, no question. However, it has such a long ways to go and there isn't really anything coming out between now (11/5 with WE 2010) and FF13 to keep sales high so I don't know how much higher it will get until the 17th.

- I don't think the Wii's downturn YOY is particularly relevant, honestly. First, for most of the year the games list was so lacking as to make that downturn pretty unavoidable. For some perspective, there will probably be more 100K + selling games between now and Dec. 10 than there were in the first 10 plus months combined. Second, since the price drop Wii has been pretty consistent at 25-30K, which is about where it was last year- and last year it sold 415K in December with an absolutely horrible lineup. I think 500K is the bare minimum it will do in December, which is a very high bar for the PS3 to climb, even with FF13.

marc^o^ said:

Shying away from this bait is giving me blue balls.

botticus

DMeisterJ said:
By this time last year, weekly sales were pretty similar to what we're seeing now. So taking into consideration that NSMB should be >>> Animal Crossing/Wii Music, I think it's likely to do extremely well during the holidays. The real question is how much improvement the PS3 sees over that time.

ethelred

duckroll said:

I doubt the demand is foaming or frothing or anything like that, but people can't buy what they can't buy, and as for me, I don't buy the argument that there wasn't sufficient demand for the game to outsell, say, EO2 or Raidou 2 -- there just weren't enough copies in retail for it to do so. I'm really puzzled as to the lack of a second shipment, and obviously the game isn't going to sell more if there aren't any games available in stores for people to purchase. The traditional metrics for gauging demand of a title early on is how quickly it sells through initially; SJ had high initial sell through. I have absolutely no doubt that if this had been followed up with another shipment, the game would've sold more. Maybe not 230k's worth of copies, but I don't believe for a moment it would've capped out at the 115k first shipment ceiling.

schuelma

V_Arnold said:
There is nothing to drive Wii as much as it has been drove before, or more importantly: no healthy stream of games. On the other side, PlayStation 3 has been enjoying a fair success since relaunch, and there are plenty of high-profile games (sic!), and more importantly, a mainline Final Fantasy game in december.

The Wii has a better overall lineup from now until the end of the year.

onken

duckroll said:

I wish people would stop talking like Amazon has some relevancy in Japan. Newsflash: it doesn't. Most people haven't even heard of it, hence it's usually the absolute last place to sell-out of anything.

schuelma said:

You keep banging on about the Wii's killer line-up this year, let's face it the only thing that's going to move hardware is NSMB (maaaaaaaybe ToG to a much smaller extent). The success of the Wii this holiday rests completely on its shoulders.

Honestly?

Nintendo needs to quit being cheap and consistently develop games of the caliber, quality, production, and mainstream appeal of SSBB and Mario Galaxy. These are the type of games that should be complemented with the casual titles such as Wii Sports, Wii Fit, etc. I don’t understand how they were in such of a roll the first 18 months only to slow down so much afterwards. Did they honestly believe that the third party companies would pick up the slack?

They're a big company, with a shitload of talent and ideas. They need to quit wasting resources on making another Mario baseball or football game or some dumb ass Animal Crossing console game. Quit re-releasing shit like the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

duckroll

onken said:
I wish people would stop talking like Amazon has some relevancy in Japan. Newsflash: it doesn't. Most people haven't even heard of it, hence it's usually the absolute last place to sell-out of anything.

And yet EO and EO2 managed to sell out at Amazon Japan as well. I guess that just shows how much more selling power the games have compared to SJ! :eek:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
schuelma said:
- PS3 will be higher, no question. However, it has such a long ways to go and there isn't really anything coming out between now (11/5 with WE 2010) and FF13 to keep sales high so I don't know how much higher it will get until the 17th.

- I don't think the Wii's downturn YOY is particularly relevant, honestly. First, for most of the year the games list was so lacking as to make that downturn pretty unavoidable. For some perspective, there will probably be more 100K + selling games between now and Dec. 10 than there were in the first 10 plus months combined. Second, since the price drop Wii has been pretty consistent at 25-30K, which is about where it was last year- and last year it sold 415K in December with an absolutely horrible lineup. I think 500K is the bare minimum it will do in December, which is a very high bar for the PS3 to climb, even with FF13.
It would be fair to put PS3 and Wii on more equal footing this year though. I don't doubt your forecast though.

[Nintex]

I still wonder why NCL let the Wii sink like a rock even in Japan. Iwata kept talking about how they needed great content and new proposals in a timely fashion. Maybe Nintendo is forced to come back to reality now and realize that 'evergreen' titles are nice to have, but won't keep your system swimming in the blue ocean.

schuelma

LiquidMetal14 said:
It would be fair to put PS3 and Wii on more equal footing this year though. I don't doubt your forecast though.

Yes, absolutely. And I see the PS3 doing much much better than it ever has this holiday..but I think some people are underestimating how well Nintendo does during holidays and how well NSMB Wii could do.

Somnid

[Nintex] said:
I still wonder why NCL let the Wii sink like a rock even in Japan. Iwata kept talking about how they needed great content and new proposals in a timely fashion. Maybe Nintendo is forced to come back to reality now and realize that 'evergreen' titles are nice to have, but won't keep your system swimming in the blue ocean.

Games take years to develop. You can't suddenly speed that up.

DMeisterJ

Banned
botticus said:
By this time last year, weekly sales were pretty similar to what we're seeing now. So taking into consideration that NSMB should be >>> Animal Crossing/Wii Music, I think it's likely to do extremely well during the holidays. The real question is how much improvement the PS3 sees over that time.

Okay, but you've also got to take into effect that FFXIII is better than the nothing that came out for the PS3 late last year. The fortunes of that system will be highly improved also.

cvxfreak

Which comes out on top for 2009 can really come down to the difference of one week, which really says a lot about how close the PS3 and Wii truly are. A Wii victory won't mean very much, while a PS3 one will have huge implications.

Get on the ball, Iwata.

schuelma

DMeisterJ said:
Okay, but you've also got to take into effect that FFXIII is better than the nothing that came out for the PS3 late last year. The fortunes of that system will be highly improved also.

Of course- but it has a lot farther to go (it did 150K last year), and remember its not like FF13 is out for the whole month of December.

schuelma said:

next thursday : Winning Eleven 2010 + PS3 bundle

and this year no PS2 version is planned for Japan (i expect WE 2010 PS3 around 500k LTD at least)

maybe Wii has a better line-up from 26 nov. to 3 dec. but i don't know if 3 weeks can save Wii from PS3 momentum started 2 months ago.

i know i could be wrong, but i still think PS3 YTD > Wii YTD despite all sales-age gaffers think the opposite :)

duckroll said:
Now? No, probably not. The used market is now enjoying the fruits of Atlus's miscalculation. A timely second shipment in the second week? I bet we'd be talking 150k+ right now instead of 120k.

It was just like Infinite Space or w/e. It was like the game was only out for a single week.

ksamedi

Segata Sanshiro said:
Now? No, probably not. The used market is now enjoying the fruits of Atlus's miscalculation. A timely second shipment in the second week? I bet we'd be talking 150k+ right now instead of 120k.

It was just like Infinite Space or w/e. It was like the game was only out for a single week.

Is it really Altus's miscalculation though?

Top Bottom