• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 21-27, 2009

jeremy1456

Firestorm said:
Tales of Vesperia
PS3 JP: 265,000
360 JP: 161,070 as of December 22nd, 2008
360 US: ~70,000 as of November 29th, 2008... I think I heard it sold around 100k sometime in 2009
360 EU: ??? If it sold the same as US in the first month, that's ~35k.

So it's up to a good 426,170 across both consoles which is pretty good I think. Especially considering they got funding from Microsoft. Hopefully enough of a profit that Team Symphonia is working on another HD Tales! This time they could re-use the same engine which would cut down costs even more and maybe pull the same 1 year thing with more Microsoft money.

Was that ever confirmed?

AniHawk

This was all I could see whenever I heard "Xenon":

Zenon21.jpg

Still whenever I see it, I add in my head, "Girl of the 21st Century"

AniHawk said:
This was all I could see whenever I heard "Xenon":

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/80/Zenon21.jpg[img]

Still whenever I see it, I add in my head, "Girl of the 21st Century"[/QUOTE]
That's erotic... in a Roman Polanski kind of way.

Rpgmonkey

Looks like SaGa 2 will struggle to get near 200K. :(

DQIX's so close... :D

Firestorm said:
Tales of Vesperia
PS3 JP: 265,000
360 JP: 161,070 as of December 22nd, 2008
360 US: ~70,000 as of November 29th, 2008... I think I heard it sold around 100k sometime in 2009
360 EU: ??? If it sold the same as US in the first month, that's ~35k.

So it's up to a good 426,170 across both consoles which is pretty good I think. Especially considering they got funding from Microsoft. Hopefully enough of a profit that Team Symphonia is working on another HD Tales! This time they could re-use the same engine which would cut down costs even more and maybe pull the same 1 year thing with more Microsoft money.

I dunno if they'll go with the timed-exclusive thing anymore (for this console generation anyway :lol). Now that they've made their PS3/360 engine at a reduced cost, it seems kinda pointless to do it again, plus MS doesn't seem interested in doing that with JRPGs anymore.

I'd be really surprised if they weren't doing another PS3/360 game though.

jeremy1456

Rpgmonkey said:
Looks like SaGa 2 will struggle to get near 200K. :(

DQIX's so close... :D

I dunno if they'll go with the timed-exclusive thing anymore (for this console generation anyway :lol). Now that they've made their PS3/360 engine at a reduced cost, it seems kinda pointless to do it again, plus MS doesn't seem interested in doing that with JRPGs anymore.

I'd be really surprised if they weren't doing another PS3/360 game though.

That would be awesome if Team Symphonia were making more Tales games on HD consoles.

Meanwhile Team Destiny should keep it up on Wii.

Olaeh

Every week it seems less and less crazy to consider DQIX could hit 5m. I still kinda doubt it will, but it doesn't seem so out of reach. Will be interesting to see how it does for the holiday. MH3 seems likely to hit 1m, definitely if they bring MH3G before a PSP release.

jeremy1456

Olaeh said:
Every week it seems less and less crazy to consider DQIX could hit 5m. I still kinda doubt it will, but it doesn't seem so out of reach. Will be interesting to see how it does for the holiday. MH3 seems likely to hit 1m, definitely if they bring MH3G before a PSP release.

I imagine the price drop will not only bump the hardware but the software too - MHtri especially.

AniHawk said:
To be fair, I remember people still describing the PS2/Xbox/GC as "next gen" at some point in 2003. It didn't really start to fade until rumors and news of the PS3, Xenon and Revolution started up.
I wasn't around for that. I wasn't even around for the Nitro rumours. I got interested in gaming again when I read somewhere that they were making a new Metroid and that it would be released on Nintendo's new handheld. I didn't end up liking Hunters, but the DS was worth every cent.

I ended up joining GAF just in time to see the tail-end of the Revolution / PS3 pre-release hype.

Anyway, it would have been stupid back then and it's still stupid now.

Olaeh

jeremy1456 said:
I imagine the price drop will not only bump the hardware but the software too - MHtri especially.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the price drop :) The next few weeks will definitely be fun to watch.

cvxfreak

I think MH3 is guaranteed legs on a modest scale because of all those new people buying Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G every week who may want to try the sequel without waiting for it to show up on the PSP. Inversely, I think many Nintendo fans who bought MH3 and loved it are thus picking up a PSP and MHP2G.

They're on different platforms, but I think they will help each other for awhile.

jeremy1456

cvxfreak said:
I think MH3 is guaranteed legs on a modest scale because of all those new people buying Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G every week who may want to try the sequel without waiting for it to show up on the PSP. Inversely, I think many Nintendo fans who bought MH3 and loved it are thus picking up a PSP and MHP2G.

They're on different platforms, but I think they will help each other for awhile.

Have you noticed any hype for any other Wii games over there?

cvxfreak

jeremy1456 said:
Have you noticed any hype for any other Wii games over there?

No third party game on the Wii has even remotely approached the hype of MH3. I expect Graces and Sengoku Musou 3 to gain some hype, but until DQX or MH4 hits, I have my doubts anything can get anywhere near MH3.

Nintendo's games have an inherent hype level, so there's little need to discuss that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
cvxfreak said:
Nintendo's games have an inherent hype level, so there's little need to discuss that.

Any hype for Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Sky? Could it at least make it to the Top Ten for one week, like the original game?

Anything to calm my paining heart. :(

Tiktaalik

I know that Pokemon dropped this week due to shortages but damn Tomodachi Collection is still doing crazy good. I wonder when Nintendo is going to announce this for NA?

I asked in the last thread but no one replied, but do we have any possible LTDs on the sadly undersold Wii titles like Klonoa, Rune Factory Frontier, Arc Rise Fantasia, Muramasa, etc?

We did get LTDs from MMV a couple of months back, here I'll post them:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16872670&postcount=11

Marvelous sales figures, as disclosed during last month’s (June) stockholders’ meeting:

Little King's Story (Wii)
Europe: 68,000 units (this game is about to be released in the US and has not been released in Japan yet)

Arc Rise Fantasia (Wii)
Japan: 38,000 units (this game hasn't been released in the US and Europe yet)

Half-Minute Hero (PSP)
Japan: 64,000 units (this game hasn't been released in the US and Europe yet)

Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii)
Japan: 45,000 units (this game hasn't been released in the US and Europe yet)

No More Heroes (Wii)
Japan: around 40,000 units
US: 230,000 units
Europe: 170,000 unit

Major thanks to AceBandage for the numbers! :D

Now it's been three months since then, I wonder if MMV will reveal the current totals as it's now into the 3rd quarter?

Tenbatsu

Regulus Tera said:
Any hype for Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Sky? Could it at least make it to the Top Ten for one week, like the original game?

Anything to calm my paining heart. :(
Whoever bought the game will get my JP Club Nintendo Points!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Enterbrain (famitsu) first half of fiscal year 2009 (March 30, 2009 - September 27, 2009)

video game market 213.780 billion yen (down 10,5% from 2008)
hardware 80.860 billion yen (down 15,1% from 2008)
software 132.910 billion yen (down 7,5% from 2008)

hardware sales:

[NDS] 1.698.818 (27.851.784)
[PSP] 813.604 (12.618.193)
[WII] 594.398 (8.547.552)
[PS3] 581.676 (3.591.071)
[360] 137.059 (1.138.250)

TOP 5 software sales

[NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 3.925.285 / NEW
[NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 2.067.609 / NEW
[WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 1.194.491 / NEW
[NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 1.156.103 / NEW
[WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 908.693 / NEW

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1228077_1124.html

Media Create analyst expects 1,7-1,8M LTD for FF XIII with 1,5M for December

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/10/01/media_create_ffxiii_sales_forecast
http://gamez.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0909/30/news115.html

Wada expects DQ IX not only to sell 5M, but expects that number this fiscal year (until March 31, 2010). Simply this means no DQ VI this year and crazy sales for DQ IX the holidays. Let's see if he is right (personally I don't believe it).

cvxfreak

No clue about the hype for S&P2.

Price drops for PSP and Wii effective today, so shops have been selling lots of both today. The Wii and PSP will live to fight the console war another day!

Pokemon HGSS also back in stock. Also selling out. It's going to be like this for a long time.

I also finally got the Dengeki Top 200 chart, and it's filled with tons of budget re-releases. All the Gyakuten Saiban re-releases are on it, as are SE's various budget FF/DQ games. Even a few GTA games are on there.

Nintendo honestly needs to join the party.

duckroll

So, fellow sales-agers, I've been thinking. MPO did really well in Japan, it sold over 350k and MPO+ went on to sell over 400k. It seems that even with pretty terrible controls and level design, the Japanese loved it and loved the multiplayer (or they wouldn't have bought MPO+). With the PSP price being slashed now, and multiplayer on the PSP being more popular than ever, could Peace Walker possibly surpass MGS4's sales in Japan next year? I think it can, and I think it will! :eek:

MGS4 is around 700k right (before The Best release)? It's possible but not likely IMO.

Anyways, I'm gonna guess next week HW will be:

Wii 90k
DS 75k
PSP 65k
PS3 30k

Surely is gonna be interesting to see though.

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
duckroll, both versions of PO were on the Top 200 for August, so you may be onto something!

Yeah, I know they've been consistently selling. Both the Best version of MPO and the MPO+ seem to have super long legs, it's really mysterious because it's really a poor man's MGS imo, but if a poor man's MGS is enough to satisfy the fanbase in Japan, I can only imagine what a true MGS with co-op gameplay will do. :)

So isn't MH3 officially the highest selling 3rd-party home console game in Japan this gen?

And I'm surprised no one pointed this out, but it looks like Famitsu has MHP2G(Best) at 1M now.

When did that release again?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
According to the (usually reliable) the-drill blog there is a big possibility, when m-create report comes out, that Wii will have hit a new low, PSP will have one of its lowests week ever and PS3 will have a bigger drop than the famitsu one. If these numbers are confirmed there won't be a battle next week between PS3 and Wii.

Code:
-----------------------------------------------
| tracker | week 1 | week 2 | week 3 | week 4 |
|---------------------------------------------|
| famitsu | 150.832|  54.289|  55.000|  50.000|
| m-create| 151.783|  55.344|  51.055|~40.000?|
I don't know what to expect from Wii next week. Anything from 40K-100K won't surprise me.

Tenbatsu

Hero of Legend said:
So isn't MH3 officially the highest selling 3rd-party home console game in Japan this gen?

And I'm surprised no one pointed this out, but it looks like Famitsu has MHP2G(Best) at 1M now.

When did that release again?
I think you've been away too long...

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
duckroll said:
So, fellow sales-agers, I've been thinking. MPO did really well in Japan, it sold over 350k and MPO+ went on to sell over 400k. It seems that even with pretty terrible controls and level design, the Japanese loved it and loved the multiplayer (or they wouldn't have bought MPO+). With the PSP price being slashed now, and multiplayer on the PSP being more popular than ever, could Peace Walker possibly surpass MGS4's sales in Japan next year? I think it can, and I think it will! :eek:

I recall hearing from Kojima that he saw how much teenagers were interested in the game by the portable setting, so I would expect PW making a considerable impact.

duckroll

bernardobri said:
I recall hearing from Kojima that he saw how much teenagers were interested in the game by the portable setting, so I would expect PW making a considerable impact.

Will Peace Walker be the first MGS game to break a million in Japan? Maybe not (even Dissidia didn't), but I think it might be close!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
duckroll said:
Will Peace Walker be the first MGS game to break a million in Japan? Maybe not (even Dissidia didn't), but I think it might be close!
I don't think so, but it should sell similarly to MGS4.

test_account

XP-39C²
Are there any anecdote evidences yet about lines for the Wii pricedrop and/or for Gran Turismo Portable and the PSP pricedrop?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
It will sell one million mark my words. Coop is a powerful thing.

Tiktaalik

duckroll said:

Perhaps if they make it into an MGO Hunter where Snake and his buddies can team up to take down massive METAL GEARS.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
duckroll said:

I think it will, if Konami pushes it enough in terms of marketing.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cvxfreak said:
Pokemon HGSS also back in stock. Also selling out. It's going to be like this for a long time.
They restocked before Saturday? Maybe there will be a bigger shipment this week.

cvxfreak said:
Wii Fit Plus is selling briskly. Reminds me of Wii Sports Resort's launch week.
Have you noticed if Wii and PSP are moving more units than usual? This will be a long week until we get the hardware numbers next Thursday.

Not been paying much attention to these threads lately... but what happened to the PSP? It used to be competitive with the DS, what's going on?

gkryhewy

Chris1964 said:
According to the (usually reliable) the-drill blog there is a big possibility, when m-create report comes out, that Wii will have hit a new low, PSP will have one of its lowests week ever and PS3 will have a bigger drop than the famitsu one. If these numbers are confirmed there won't be a battle next week between PS3 and Wii.

Code:
| tracker | week 1 | week 2 | week 3 | week 4 |
|---------------------------------------------|
| famitsu | 150.832|  54.289|  55.000|  50.000|
| m-create| 151.783|  55.344|  51.055|~40.000?|
I don't know what to expect from Wii next week. Anything from 40K-100K won't surprise me.

Wow, so that blog is suggesting PS3 sales of <40k? That would be quite a disparity from Famitsu.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
bttb said:
Nintendo's monthly retailer briefing appears to be scheduled for next Thursday (10/08).

In last month's retailer briefing, Nintendo announced dates for Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii), Valhalla Nights (Wii), Mario & Sonic 2 (Wii/DS) and Rune Factory 3 (Wii).

you know the pickins are slim when they announced dates for two low tier MMV games :/

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
So that's when we will get New Super Mario bros. Wii release date IF there isn't an October conference this year.

bttb said:
Nintendo's monthly retailer briefing appears to be scheduled for next Thursday (10/08).

In last month's retailer briefing, Nintendo announced dates for Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii), Valhalla Nights (Wii), Mario & Sonic 2 (Wii/DS) and Rune Factory 3 (Wii).

Small correction - RF3 is DS.

I wonder whether this will be more than the usual retailer briefing. They still haven't had their traditional (or what was traditional) Fall conference, and October 10 would be around the same time as the last year or two.

Hopefully it will be more substantial than just a list of release dates...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Onix said:
Given that Tales outsold the 360's LTD in it's first week, and the fact the majority has already been translated for the Western 360 release ...

... is it safe to assume a PS3 rev will show up in English?

Maybe Namco is waiting to see how Star Ocean 4 international sales will do before deciding on bringing out Tales of Vesperia in the US on the ps3.

Chris1964 said:

Perhaps it's just me but I doubt Wii's increased numbers will be more than 50-55k next week. Maybe i'm underestimating it, but I don't think price is the main barrier to the Wii's success in Japan right now.

Paracelsus

neojubei said:
Maybe Namco is waiting to see how Star Ocean 4 international sales will do before deciding on bringing out Tales of Vesperia in the US on the ps3.

Localization doesn't take a couple of weeks. By the time they'll have those datas they'll have announced the next HD Tales already. Assuming there will ever be one.

Top Bottom