• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2013 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Doesn't seem very impressive to just about touch your competition during price cut + hyped game launch week.

How much did the 3DS sell the price cut week? Edit: oh, it was ~200k. Hmm...

test_account

XP-39C²
To name the obvious elephant in the room again: Monster Hunter.
Sure, but my point was not to argue that Vita will have a similar success as the PSP. My point was that eventhough something wont outsell another system, it doesnt mean that the less selling system cant be successful. And example of this is the PSP, a system that sold over 10 million less systems compared to the DS, yet the PSP saw great success. Not saying that will happen to the Vita, but being the highest selling system isnt always necessary to have success.

I love how he assumes it sold 1 mil at launch and calls it fine lol :p Silly
Hehe, well, he probably ment fine as in "great/amazing" :)

To name the obvious elephant in the room again: Monster Hunter.

Which is why Sony need to pay Capcom to tear up their contract with Nintendo and make MHP4 exclusive to Vita. It will cost a shit load of money but it would basically resurrect Vita as a gaming force in Japan. People would be forced to buy Vita and if they made the release of MHP4 with a Vita Lite system that was more pocketable and cheaper then the cost to Sony will be worth it.

javac

IMO I think if Sony could secure exclusive entries for the best selling PSP software (GTA, MH, KH, GOW, SF, GT) on the vita, then the vita could stand a chance in the west. I also think Sony should give up the FPS on vita thing. FPSs on the vita are pathetic because the analog sticks are too small.

When franchises like GTA, MH, KH, GOW, SF and GT means a console COULD stand a chance, something up.

serplux

Doesn't seem very impressive to just about touch your competition during price cut + hyped game launch week.

How much did the 3DS sell the price cut week?

214k, about. And that was with little software backing it up (I think? I don't remember very well).

matmanx1

I actually think that worldwide the PSV has a better shot at resurrection than inside Japan for several reasons.

Most notably is the fact that Sony's own strongest IP are more geared towards Western tastes and I think that the inevitable God of War/Uncharted 2 Vita/Gran Turismo/Killzone, etc. will do more for the Vita in places other than Japan. I also look at games like AC:3 Liberation selling over 600k worldwide (which evidently Ubi was pretty pleased with) and see that even in it's first year the Vita can be a profitable place for a major third party game done decently well.

I also note the the software data provided in last week's thread that showed although the PS3 and PSV were in about the same place HW wise for their first year on the market the PSV appears to be healthier in terms of software and that's most likely because it's much easier and cheaper to develop for. That can only help it going forward.

I also think there's an "X" factor with the Vita that we won't have great data on until later in this year. That "X" factor is the PS3/PSV dual release of some decently major titles like next week's One Piece Musou and the upcoming FFX HD. I don't expect these types of releases to grow the install base but I do expect them to sell decent numbers and at least keep the platform viable. And with Japan being so handheld centric I have to wonder how the split between the 2 platforms will ultimately break down.

And then there's the PS4 factor and if that will have any effect whatsoever. Sony has some cool ideas but the implementation will make or break them.

So yes, I think resurrection is still a distinct possibility, especially worldwide. The next few months into E3 should be pretty telling as far as what kind of support the Vita will or won't get. If there's a distinct lack of notable announcements then I'd say death or at least life support is a foregone conclusion.

Which is why I also said Sony would need to build a decent ecosystem around Vita to make it attractive in the west. Reading comprehension ftw...

You said that it would "it would take games like GTA and CoD to fix the system" in the West, which I took to mean that you see quality spinoffs of console franchises aimed at males 17-30 as a necessary, fundamental component of that ecosystem. Not sure what I'm misunderstanding here.

test_account

XP-39C²
It was in reference to the comment that the race may not be over yet. It definitely is. The Vita could strike a niche market, but the 3DS has everything handled.
I see, my mistake. Since you mentioned how long it would take to outsell the 3DS, i thought you ment regarding the race who will sell the most hardware.

Maedhros

Which is why Sony need to pay Capcom to tear up their contract with Nintendo and make MHP4 exclusive to Vita. It will cost a shit load of money but it would basically resurrect Vita as a gaming force in Japan. People would be forced to buy Vita and if they made the release of MHP4 with a Vita Lite system that was more pocketable and cheaper then the cost to Sony will be worth it.

It won't happen. It has almost 0 chance of happening...

serplux

If you take a look at it, it makes a hell of a lot more sense for Capcom to release their game exclusive to the 3DS than multiplatform (or exclusive) with the Vita.

maltrain

It was in reference to the comment that the race may not be over yet. It definitely is. The Vita could strike a niche market, but the 3DS has everything handled.

We, PS Vita users, really know 3DS is way too far on sales worldwide... and we are OK with that (I have a 3DS too, but I only have it for Atlus games).

We only know PS Vita sell well because that means third-parties will support the console in the future, so we are really happy with this news.

That's it.

Problem is, there are many Vita haters on this forum and well... they have declared Vita dead a lot of times... so it's really good to make fun of them right now. ;)

Frillen

So what happens from this point and on is actually the most imporant thing for the Vita. At what level will it stabilize? What happens next week?

IMO (next week):

Above 40k: Really good
30k-40k: Pretty good
20k-30k: Ok
Less than 20k: Bad
Less than 15k: Catastrophe

Do Sony have a spare 100 million bucks or so to give capcom?

BadWolf

The PS3 got Resurrected because Sony worked their ass off to make sure the console succeeded, third parties abandoned the system in its first year out. Sony first party studios took the responsibility of making the system a viable platform, Sony also took the initiative to make the slim model. So the Vita and the PS3 are alike in some ways, while Sony is not selling the Vita anywhere near a loss they still need the powerful force of their first party devs and possibly a new cheaper model to make the Vita an even more attractive handheld for newcomers.

Yeah, the similarity is interesting in that once the PS3 started losing or not gaining exclusives, Sony went nuts with making new IP. At the start of the PS3's life they had very little but now they have a substantial arsenal of IPs and developers going into the PS4.

Wonder how similar the scenario will be for the Vita. They are already off to a good start with Gravity Daze and Soul Sacrifice but they need to do more.

The Vita won't come anywhere near 3DS hardware sales but the latest numbers show that as long as good games come the system does sell and it can carve out a niche for itelf, existing with the 3DS side by side.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
What are you talking about? Did you add a zero?

LOOKS like I did. Whoops.

Well, 100k still isn't bad. The game DID just release. I don't know why folks are painting this in a bad light. It sold 100K in, like, one week on a supposed dead platform. That should be something to look at, not scoff at.

What gives for the increases in 360 sales?

And forget about Capcom releasing anything exclusively on VITA. They have formed a strategic partnership with Nintendo this generation and it is evident pretty much everywhere.

Awesome.

See, Sony / Game Devs, make attractive software and people will buy it. Now, we just need some other games at that level of quality!

Need good marketing as well. All of Vita's heavy-hitters (Miku, Sol Sacrifice, P4G) were heavily advertised. Dev can't just make a good vita game and expect to sell well without Sony backing it up.

Frillen

Well, 100k still isn't bad. The game DID just release. I don't know why folks are painting this in a bad light. It sold 100K in, like, one week on a supposed dead platform. That should be something to look at, not scoff at.

Some nice damage control right here :p

Game did well though, with digital sales I would expect it did about 160k.

Fisico

synphonia need to be on Nintendo platfrom , even Dawn of the new world sold nearly as good as tov in the us. They still want to earn the western tos market. Tos us for game cube sold the most remember.

It was 10 years ago, Wii is a dead plateform, Wii U is selling like shit and 3DS (which is the most likely candidate) is a handheld plateform.

I don't know which plateform they will go for this port/remake but it would most likely be either PS3 (or PS3/PSV lol ?) or 3DS.
PS3 has the advantage to be a home console and it will be logic for them to stay on PS3 after Graces F, Xillia and Xillia 2, it's also 100% sure the game would sell way much more in Japan than if it's released on 3DS (something like between a 2/1 and 3/1 ratio).
However they would need to seriously improve the graphics and it would be a lot of work, not sure the main Tales team want to bother with this (they are most likely working on the 20th anniversary title) and I don't think they'd be super excited to outsource the work at Alfa System, 7th Chord (lol) or another developper, especially considering this is PS3 we're talking about and none of those developper have any experience with it

If they consider worldwide sales 3DS could be better, it would certainly be the easiest way too since the 3DS is in the range of GC regarding graphics... BUT the Tales team doesn't have a good experience with 3DS, back when they announce Abyss they thought it would be a simple copy/paste to port the game from PS2 when in fact they had to redone a tone of 3D models and put way more work they thought it would took at first.

There is also the matter of consistency, the Tales series have dropped the cartoon proportions and cel-shading for a while now, so a straight port from GC/PS2 isn't possible anymore, they need to rebuild the graphics but not go the Innocence R/Hearts R way to avoid a potential disaster in sales, the battle system is also kind of outdated and need to be improved drastically.

No matter how you look at it, rereleasing Symphonia today would require a lot of efforts, so it would be best to go for the plateform where you could put the game and say "wow look at it, it really looks better than a decade ago !"

But there's also the matter of releasing too many Tales on the same platform in a span of two years in America and PALl zone (with Xillia 2 releasing the same year ?), so hum it's complicated ->

Anyway two and half a month before we know for sure about this.

I also look at games like AC:3 Liberation selling over 600k worldwide (which evidently Ubi was pretty pleased with) and see that even in it's first year the Vita can be a profitable place for a major third party game done decently well.

I don't quite see how this is supposed to be some sort of massive vindication of Vita's viability for that sort of content. If GTA:LCS or GOW:CoO had sold only 600K worldwide in their first two months on PSP, no one would be shy about calling them bombs.

There's still a potentially profitable niche market for console-style games aimed at older males on dedicated handhelds in the West, but that's all it is: a niche market. Not one that serves as the backbone of an entire platform's ecosystem.

tkscz

Soul Sacrifice saves Vita. I don't even know what Soul Sacrifice is, but japan must love the hell out of it.

lupin23rd

Did Miku sell less on PS3 than it did on Vita?

Is it the same game? Otherwise I can't imagine Sega being happy with those sales given they didn't seem happy with Vita sales.

You said that it would "it would take games like GTA and CoD to fix the system" in the West, which I took to mean that you see quality spinoffs of console franchises aimed at males 17-30 as a necessary, fundamental component of that ecosystem. Not sure what I'm misunderstanding here.

Let's read the full post again shall we:

"For the west, it would take games like GTA and CoD to fix the system, and proper portable style games not just lazy ports of the mainline ones. Sony also need to release a Lite version of the device, 4.3" LCD, slimmer and with a better battery life for $150. That would get the market moving. They also need a much better strategy for non-game apps and a phone/tablet version. Vita in the west needs to become an ecosystem with access to music, videos, games, apps and ebooks. Sony need to work out how they are going to provide all of those services for Vita or it will never be a successful device."

It says right there what I meant by ecosystem, what's not to understand? Games are just one part of it.

GetemMa

So about 114K on week 1 for SS.

That's good. Not euphoric but good. Thing is that is will only go down from here. How drastic of a drop it is will tell us if the Vita has a future as even a niche product.

I don't understand Sony and Nintendo. Both of them have released hardware in the last year and withheld a system selling title on it for far too long. In the Vita's case, much longer but we'll see how Game and Wario and DQ do for Wii-U and then Pikmin3 if a god damn release date is ever announced.

Edit: I don't love these Vita numbers actually. Considering the price drop and a supposed system selling piece of software hitting in the same two week period, I expected more of a bump. They could easily be back to the <20K range in next week.

Mondriaan

Sony should be trying to grow its own hunting action franchise. MH doesn't look like it's going to ever become anything that looks like it couldn't be done on a PSP if MH went back to circle shadows.

wrowa

It really depends on how good the word of mouth for SS is. If the MH players still on PSP prefer it to MH3G on 3DS then over the next few weeks then Vita sales could be quite good and SS will push some hardware. If they don't like it the SS will be down to 20k next week and Vita down to 20k also.

One game has never been so important to a platform before. Knowing this Sony should have paid for the 40/40.

I think you are absolutely overestimating the importance of Soul Sacrifice. It's no doubt a very important game for the Vita, but MH players will still be interested in MH4 first and foremost. They won't abandon the series just because of a competitor. Did it ever happen that the "clone" of a popular series was able to take the attention away from the original? I can't remember a single case.

Of course, it is a very important game and right now the most important question is whether or not it will be able to grow some legs. If it succeeds it might definitely help increasing Vita's weekly baseline by a little, but that's about it.

Jigolo

Wow this thread got hot quickly. These are good numbers to sustain. My prediction last week was right. They hovered around the same number in sales.

Again I'm going to say Vita sustains these numbers since One Piece game is releasing next week.

FoneBone

Moneyhats alone (assuming Sony actually could afford it) wouldn't get Capcom to do something that they didn't deem in the best interest of the MH franchise and its sales. It's too strategically important to them for that.

Doubting that SS will spark a long term improvement for vita &#8800; scoffing at its initial sales.

Asimov

Banned

Just for comparison, Animal Crossing 3DS sold more than 600k in two days... with a lot more competition.

Soul Sacrifice sold 100k with no competition at all.

Soriku

So about 114K on week 1 for SS.

That's good. Not euphoric but good. Thing is that is will only go down from here. How drastic of a drop it is will tell us if the Vita has a future as even a niche product.

I don't understand Sony and Nintendo. Both of them have released hardware in the last year and withheld a system selling title on it for far too long. In the Vita's case, much longer but we'll see how Game and Wario and DQ do for Wii-U and then Pikmin3 if a god damn release date is ever announced.

I think it's a case of them not being able to support two platforms efficiently enough. And possibly releasing one of them too early.

Top Bottom