• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2014 (Mar 10 - Mar 16)

Praise the Sun. From has got to be happy with those numbers.

Ps4 is holding, not bad for a console with little to play on it in japan.

Vita is..vita. It's holding, best as the little scam can.

So...this year will be a three way race between 3DS, Vita and PS4 amirite? :p

More seriously, Youkai Watch is really growing at a ridiculous rate. Wouldn't be surprised to see it pass Dragon Quest Monsters 2r.

Cornbread78

Vita outsold PS4... VITA outsold PS4!!! WTF is going on? So wrong, but so right for their market. Japan needs some devs to get PS4 games out on shelves, this is crazy bad for the console. At this rate, NA may never see any console jrpgs this gen.!!!

..and I can't see Mario Kart 8 making much of an impact unless it's bundled with a price cut.

Mario Kart is being offered at low prices for pre-order - I've seen as low as 4,000 yen, which is cheaper than 3DS 1st party games on release (RRP ~4,800, can get them for ~4,200 usually). There's also the new bundle coming out soon. I think retailers are treating it as Wii U's final chance to prove itself.

Metallix87

Mario Kart is being offered at low prices for pre-order - I've seen as low as 4,000 yen, which is cheaper than 3DS 1st party games on release (RRP ~4,800, can get them for ~4,200 usually). There's also the new bundle coming out soon. I think retailers are treating it as Wii U's final chance to prove itself.
It basically is. IfMario Kart 8 does nothing, then the Wii U is truly doomed.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
WiiU had good initial sales because it was, you know, holiday season. It very quickly went sub-20k (and almost 10k) weekly shortly after. Right after Christmas, actually.

I don't really buy this explanation. I think launch sales are more a representation of the pent up demand after 6+ years of the previous generation, regardless what time of year they released.

Just look at the USA, where holiday sales are a much bigger deal than in Japan. PS4 continues to sell out everywhere despite this being the "slow" time of year for console sales.

MK8 will have an impact but unless it's followed up with regular releases it will be short lived.

I'll be mad if they have nothing for June. They've promised for it to not be a 1 time event, but we'll see how that turns out. At least, they've promised Zelda Musou & Bayonetta for Summer.

prag16

Banned
LOL.

And Wii U is averaging
flatlining
at 7k now. That's sad.

7k is better than the sub 5k numbers last year. Wonder if it'll dip back down into that territory prior to Kart. After Kart, we have Smash, Bayonetta, probably X by the end of 2014. I'd HOPE it doesn't go back below 10k the rest of the year after Kart, but who the fuck knows...

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
2./02. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 37.247 / 569.720 (+3%)

Million-seller right here folks coming, I can feel it! I N S A N E

7k is better than the sub 5k numbers last year. Wonder if it'll dip back down into that territory prior to Kart. After Kart, we have Smash, Bayonetta, probably X by the end of 2014. I'd HOPE it doesn't go back below 10k the rest of the year after Kart, but who the fuck knows...

Give it time. Wii U is contantly down YOY since this year started so there's plenty time to reach sub 5k numbers, maybe even sub 4k numbers around september.

TheChaos0

Vita outsold PS4... VITA outsold PS4!!! WTF is going on? So wrong, but so right for their market. Japan needs some devs to get PS4 games out on shelves, this is crazy bad for the console. At this rate, NA may never see any console jrpgs this gen.!!!

It will see FFXV and Kingdom Heart 3 unless they get cancelled. Japan will be a really slow starter this gen, nothing we can do about, maybe in 1-2 years.

What will Nintendo announce this year 3DS line up typically? IIRC, last year it was in February on ND.

Who knows. The fact that they're releasing a re-release of Style Savvy in April, and we already know about Yoshi, Mario Golf, and Smash, has me worried they may not have much software this year.

Fredrik

I don't really buy this explanation. I think launch sales are more a representation of the pent up demand after 6+ years of the previous generation, regardless what time of year they released.
True, I think it's the lack of japanese games that is hurting the sales, and DS/3DS/mobile.

Hardware sales aren't looking too hot, and I'm not really seeing much on the horizon that'll make a big enough splash to change this any time soon. We're going to have pretty dull Media Create threads for the next few weeks. The only wildcard that might add some spice is the possibility of the PS4 making a steep drop, but that's not really a scenario any of us want either.

JoeM86

Who knows. The fact that they're releasing a re-release of Style Savvy in April, and we already know about Yoshi, Mario Golf, and Smash, has me worried they may not have much software this year.

I can imagine that they shifted a lot of their studios to Wii U development to try and push that this year, much like they did with the inverse when the 3DS needed it.

prag16

Banned
Give it time. Wii U is contantly down YOY since this year started so there's plenty time to reach sub 5k numbers, maybe even sub 4k numbers around september.

If there are absolutely no notable releases between Kart and Smash (assuming that's a Q4 game) then it might be possible.

At the same time we can't necessarily see it tracking behind last year and use that as evidence it'll keep tracking behind. The console is cheaper with more attractive bundles and a bigger/better library than this time last year. Yes despite all that it's still tracking behind; many of the people who want one already have one. But with some big releases this year, a lot can happen. ("A lot" doesn't include Wii U becoming a big success though obviously.)

Cornbread78

It will see FFXV and Kingdom Heart 3 unless they get cancelled. Japan will be a really slow starter this gen, nothing we can do about, maybe in 1-2 years.

well, you never know, we are talking about SE here....

PAtience, I know, but dammit I want some next gen JRPG goodness sooner, lol.

Nisa65

All right Miku, Smoky is counting on you to push this over the line before the release line-up starts drying up again.

Miku might not be enough to stop the three Waifu Plus+ LL bundles (which are released on the same day) from helping 3DS stay on top.

Top Bottom