• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2014 (Mar 17 - Mar 23)

CANLI

DS:
2004: 1 million (only holiday)
2005: 4 million
2006: 9 million
2007: 7 million (-22%)
2008: 4 million (-43%)
2009: 4 million
2010: 3 million (-25%)
2011: 700k (-77%)
2012: 30k (-96%)

3DS:
2011: 4 million
2012: 5.5 million
2013: 5 million (-10%)
2014: ??? (so far -50%)

I don't think the 3DS is going to hold like the DS did in 2009 and 2010 (so for the 3DS 2015 and 2016). Its going to sink much quicker.

I totally agree with you. The cause is the mobile gaming, not the lack of new ip's.

Yodobashi PS4 stock status, @ 19:55 JPT

PS4 in stock in 15 stores, 1 of which with low stock. 5 stores sold out.

You know I always read your posts and find it odd that the PS4 is "selling out" at some stores still. Guess Sony is sending all of 10 units to Japan at a time?

Next weeks numbers should be closer to the baseline going forward

crinale

You know I always read your posts and find it odd that the PS4 is "selling out" at some stores still. Guess Sony is sending all of 10 units to Japan at a time?

Next weeks numbers should be closer to the baseline going forward

Well Sony can't expect much from Japanese PS4 market now and they already know it. Also Bamco's CEO (also head of CESA) stated that he is expecting to sell 350-500K PS4's through March.
Every other unit Sony makes are currently shipped to market outside of Japan IMO.

Well Sony can't expect much from Japanese PS4 market now and they already know it. Also Bamco's CEO (also head of CESA) stated that he is expecting to sell 350-500K PS4's through March.
Every other unit Sony makes are currently shipped to market outside of Japan IMO.

Yes that's what I think is happening as well. Sony isn't prioritizing stock for Japan as the interest isn't high enough.

Although I've also read from another poster on here that stores in Japan often don't have much space for holding stock so perhaps it's just regular turnover and the stores only ever get in a small amount at a time

DaBoss

So I guess last minute shoppers are going to buy any expensive things they are interested this week before the tax hike hits.

Could possibly mean we'll see all hardware rising in next week's thread as well.

extralite

So, looks like Dragon Quest X has sold over 1 million copies over all platforms (Wii, Wii U, PC, and their cloud thing), can anyone confirm?

Source
『ドラゴンクエストX 目覚めし五つの種族 オンライン』国内累計売上本数100万本を突破!有難う御座います。とはいえ、これは通過点でしかないので、Yah oo!ゲーム版と合わせての発表としました。目指すは家庭用ゲームでRPGというジャンルを確立させたDQ(1)の本数です。 #DQ10

Basically yes, but he doesn't mention the platforms explicitly. He says they consider this a milestone and not the end result, which he announces together with the new yahoo version (you can play the PC version with a yahoo account now). Their ultimate goal is to sell as many copies as the original DQ which established RPGs as a genre on consoles.

I like that their expectation is basically in line with my own from back before it released.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
3m is probably likely this year for the 3DS.

12 weeks of 3DS sales = 633,696

If it were to sell at the exact same pace for 40 more weeks (which it's going to get a boost during the holidays)

52 weeks of 3DS sales at the current pace = 633,696/12*52 = 2,746,016.

Predicting what will happen in 2015 and 2016 is hard. No one is good at predicting that kind of stuff at all.

Vita in comparison:

12 weeks of Vita sales = 356.055
52 weeks of Vita sales at current pace = 1,542,905

Predicting what will happen in 2015 and 2016 is hard. No one is good at predicting that kind of stuff at all.
It's hard to make definitive numbers predictions.

It's not hard to see significant trends that are acting against any rise in sales and make a decline more likely. The rise of mobile and apparent saturation leading to a significant decline so far this year. These factors aren't likely to go away next year or the year after.

We're probably looking at an eventual LTD of somewhere in the realm of 20M, give or take a few million. Which means we're probably looking at a combined decline of something like 20M units from the NDS/PSP to the 3DS/PSV in the Japanese market.

Tomohawk

It's not hard to see significant trends that are acting against any rise in sales and make a decline more likely. The rise of mobile and apparent saturation leading to a significant decline so far this year. These factors aren't likely to go away next year or the year after.

We're probably looking at an eventual LTD of somewhere in the realm of 20M, give or take a few million. Which means we're probably looking at a combined decline of something like 20M units from the NDS/PSP to the 3DS/PSV in the Japanese market.

I think thats an accurate projection, but the more important number is software, and there will be a much larger decline on that front.

Combine that with the loss we see from the Wii U and maybe even the PS4 and this generation (3DS,PSV, Wii U, PS4, One?) is going to be significantly down. It's quite amazing how fast the gaming landscape has changed.

Combine that with the loss we see from the Wii U and maybe even the PS4 and this generation (3DS,PSV, Wii U, PS4, One?) is going to be significantly down. It's quite amazing how fast the gaming landscape has changed.
All major platform holders are at fault, not just because of smartphones, we really needed a Wii/DS sized phenomenon this gen to capture the casuals, sadly these success are coming from mobiles for the most part.

WiiU will be down form Wii
PSV has shown a severe decline
3DS has shown a massive decline

Really the only console that I has a chance of not showing a decline is the PS4. Well thats my opinion/prediction and it will do better than the PS3 in the long run.

Sandfox

Really the only console that I has a chance of not showing a decline is the PS4. Well thats my opinion/prediction and it will do better than the PS3 in the long run.

I honestly don't see how the PS4 could do better than the PS3.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Yoy are not the only.

Funny how DS->3DS is massive and PSP->PSV is severe.

Yoy are not the only.

Fair enough. We had this conversation numerous times and its pointless to have it now at this moment in time. Well we will see what happens anyway :)

Funny how DS->3DS is massive and PSP->PSV is severe.

3Ds had not experienced a severe decline. Should end up at a 30% decline which is not severe but its 12 or so million units so its massive.

PSV's decline was 70% and that is very severe. Its also massive as well.

gtj1092

Fair enough. We had this conversation numerous times and its pointless to have it now at this moment in time. Well we will see what happens anyway :)

3Ds had not experienced a severe decline. Should end up at a 30% decline which is not severe but its 12 or so million units so its massive.

PSV's decline was 70% and that is very severe. Its also massive as well.

I think he was trying to make you seem like a fanboy but obviously you all view the words massive and severe differently.

DrWong

3DS is already at 15M and should at least be around 18M at the end of the year. To think it will not do 20M ltd is only under the assumption it will be replaced in 2015 and will sell shit in fall 2015. I believe there's more chance to have a new 3DS model than a new handheld console in the foreseeable future. Nintendo will try to extend the 3DS lifetime as much as possible. Games sell well on the thing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If we interpret "harder drop next year" as 50%+ from where it is now then yeah, I think it's unlikely to be doing 10-15k all of 2015.

I don't think it's ridiculous to point out the system is on a notable downward slope worldwide, already low cost, and has a lot of major software to boot, so replacement is usually not an unreasonable prediction.

That said Nintendo is going after QoL and supporting the Wii U, so risking critical damage to their handheld business to do that might be part of the price they decided to pay.

Certainly sitting on their hands with the Wii did the Wii U no favors and Sony didn't have any more luck with letting the PSP decay.

Busaiku

They said that their main focus until the launch of their QoL junk will be 3DS, so I would expect more titles from them late this year/next year, assuming it was a reactionary move to Wii U doing poorly/3DS not living up to expectations.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

It's not only going to do better it's going to save Japan. Wii u flopped because it's an undesirable product but it is no indicater of the state of the home console industry in Japan. You don't believe me ask any Hardcore Sony fan.

Tripon

It's not only going to do better it's going to save Japan. PS3 flopped because it's an undesirable product but it is no indicater of the state of the home console industry in Japan. You don't believe me ask any Hardcore Nintendo fan.

Which is what people were basically saying before the launch of the Wii U.

Asd202

Sorry dude but I can't see this happening unless the VR is a huge success but that's a strech.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They said that their main focus until the launch of their QoL junk will be 3DS, so I would expect more titles from them late this year/next year, assuming it was a reactionary move to Wii U doing poorly/3DS not living up to expectations.
I'm kind of curious to see what they will announce. For focusing on the 3DS it's pretty quiet on the first party front unless I missed a bunch of news.

Sorry dude but I can't see this happening unless the VR is a huge success but that's a strech.
To me the biggest issue is that the mid tier is vastly smaller now so there really isn't a baseline of moderate interest games coming out on a regular basis and instead so far we basically have some really small titles and a couple of major hits that are few and far between.

It's actually very similar to the Wii U's lineup.

Now, could that change? Yes, but our horizon does not look good so I think I would want to see more concrete evidence than "Studio X said they would make a PS4 game one day."

Where exactly does he say the wii u will save Japan because I missed it. I know the Wii u is doing horribly and I've always maintained that the ps4 won't reach ps 3 numbers. I don't think either console will dominate. I think ps4 well come in on top but numbers will decline from last gen

in the OP

And I don't mean take it... or win it, I mean dominate it like the NES did.

If the WiiU performed anything like the NES it would definitely save console gaming in Japan.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Which part are you yeah noing at?

Nintendo systems seem to get dropped in Japan as soon as a successor is announced.

Even if 4DS comes at holidays 2015 and Nintendo anounces it at E3 2015 3DS won't disappear at that moment. DS was very alive in 2010, I don't get get where this thing that 3DS suddenly dies next year comes from.

Even if 4DS comes at holidays 2015 and Nintendo anounces it at E3 2015 3DS won't disappear at that moment. DS was very alive in 2010, I don't get get where this thing that 3DS suddenly dies next year comes from.

DS was very alive in 2010, yet the PSP started outselling it. The year after, it dropped by over 75%

Top Bottom