• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2015 (Apr 06 - Apr 12)

85k isn't well for an expansion to massively grow an IP like some were expecting.
Some were expecting a potential 500k seller, which was completely outrageous.

For the Sequel was not an expansion, but a revised version; it sold really well for being released just a year after the original one. I was expecting more than Bravely Default because the game had a good word-of-mouth over time.

If the sell-through was 60%, then it might have received a second tiny shipment because its last LTD is around 62k. For the Sequel also got a budget version.

Busaiku

If anything, it had worse word of mouth over time, with people really finding issue with the latter parts of the game.
And Flying Fairy was supposedly much worse about that as well, so its reputation probably suffered more in Japan.
If the sell-through was 60%, then it received a second shipment because its last LTD is around 62k. For the Sequel also got a budget version.

Famitsu had it at 40 - 60%, so I dunno what the the actual was, but it's unlikely that the initial release got a major 2nd shipment. Maybe to a couple stores, but that'd be it.

If anything, it had worse word of mouth over time, with people really finding issue with the latter parts of the game.
And Flying Fairy was supposedly much worse about that as well, so its reputation probably suffered more in Japan.

Famitsu had it at 40 - 60%, so I dunno what the the actual was, but it's unlikely that the initial release got a major 2nd shipment. Maybe to a couple stores, but that'd be it.

I don't think that's the reason. As we talked with Nirolak, perhaps SQEX wasn't able to deliver the message correctly about BS being a full-fledged sequel but more a BD1.5.

As for For the Sequel, if the game hadn't sold well enough, I doubt SQEX would have done a budget version, that also sold well.

Shahed

The whole point of Nintendo going mobile isn't to transition there full time. It's to have a secondary revenue source in case their primary one falters too much. As for competing with themselves on traditional platorms? Potential Nintendo customers are gonna try mobile regardless. At least if they go mobile they might catch them there instead. Better they take customers from their normal platforms and earn money off them somewhere else instead of having a different company do it.

Now this isn't without risk. But it's better tham doing nothing and having no backup in a more competitive market.

DSLRs are growing their share of a still rapidly shrinking market. There is no "if" about consumer trends towards convergence. That ship has sailed.

The adage is cannibalise yourself, before someone else does. Another sailed ship. It's happened without Nintendo, it will happen regardless of Nintendo entering.

No claim of surefire success is made, the opposite is stated, yet you infer some "actual meaning" that it is made to contest?

There are no easy answers, mobile is not an easy answer as already stated ad nauseum. (I can't for the life of me see why anyone would see QoL as one.) Simply consolidating on existing product lines isn't even facing the problem. But once again, it's not just dumb luck and serendipity driving success in mobile, whatever personal disdain for the products and regardless of whether Nintendo manages to succeed in mobile.

Finally, the near impossible scenario posited and contemplating it as a realistic outcome does require a lightning in a bottle level of unknowable solution or complete ignoring of realistic modern market conditions, regardless of whether one considers their last resurgence under dramatically different market conditions as the former.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 16 2015

01./00. [3DS] Style Savvy 3: Kira Kira Code <ETC> (Nintendo)
02./00. [PS4] Dying Light <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan)
03./00. [3DS] Future Card Buddy Fight: Yuujou no Jounetsu Fight! <TBL> (FuRyu)

04./02. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (Bandai Namco Games)
05./04. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Mojang AB)
06./05. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Lost Song (Bandai Namco Games)
07./03. [PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games)
08./07. [PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (Bandai Namco Games)
09./01. [PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games)
10./09. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 (Konami)
11./08. [PS4] Bloodborne (Sony Computer Entertainment)
12./14. [PS3] Yakuza 0 (Sega)
13./13. [PS3] Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Capcom)
14./06. [3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles 3D <RPG> (Nintendo)
15./00. [PS4] Saints Row IV: Re-Elected <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft)
16./11. [PS3] Sword Art Online: Lost Song (Bandai Namco Games)
17./16. [PS4] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (Bandai Namco Games)
18./18. [PS4] Battlefield: Hardline (Electronic Arts)
19./19. [PSV] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (Bandai Namco Games)
20./22. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The writing was on the wall with Bravely Second. I expect it to have relatively poor legs as well. The opening itself isn't disastrous, but sequels tend to be front loaded.

Following through my last debate on this subject, Pennywise brought up Graces 2 and Disgaea, and I think the numbers comparison there still looks about right:

Xillia:

Xillia: 512,544 / 670,182
Xillia 2: 331,533 / 453,597

For Disgaea, I'm assuming you mean Disgaea D2 as that one's the direct sequel, right?

Disgaea: 46,883 / 124,316
Disgaea D2: 53,814 / 75,734

Averaging that to about 64% of the original sales (Xillia is 67, Disgaea is 60), we'd get an LTD of 295,841 * 0.64 = 189,338 for Bravely Second.

That doesn't seem wholly unreasonable.

---

Who was expecting 500k?

What is BD's current LTD?

I searched and this is all I came up with:

I guess maybe Awakening has boosted the SRPG audience somewhat? I guess we'll see if Stella Glow and Langrisser can benefit.

In other news the Bravely Second stream confirmed Edea is a party member. They showed Yuu, Magnolia and Edea in battle all with the pastry chef asterisk costumes on.

What I'm saying is.... 500K here we come!

Is there any other game that you think if released this year, it could sell more than 500k?

I want to finalize the list for 2015 full year predictions.

Bravely Second? (surprise hit of the year yeahhhhhh)

And Zelda Wii U (yeahhhhhhhhh x 2... it won't reach 300.000 I know)

Is there any other game that you think if released this year, it could sell more than 500k?

I want to finalize the list for 2015 full year predictions.

Animal Crossing Wii U and, like the above posters said, Fire Emblem lf and Bravely Second.

I'm fairly certain Orgen wasn't serious.

Pennywise never officially predicted 500K as far as I can tell, but he did give me the following reply when I explained why I thought 500K seemed incredibly optimistic:

Fire Emblem ended with an LTD of 460,568 so it's certainly not impossible. It will need growth, which isn't always a guarantee, but at least it's close.

However, Bravely Default did 295,841 and the re-release (which conceivably sold to some of the same people) did 61,799, so predicting 500K+ seems very optimistic.
For the Sequel was also available as an eShop upgrade for those who had the first game, at a budget price; hence, in my opinion, only a tiny portion of those who bought the game in stores also bought the original one (For the Sequel never had a limited edition or something like that). Also, the Ultimate Hits probably cracked the 20k mark.

Bravely Default itself did as follows based on Japan LTD Rank:

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy: 144,909 / 295,841
Bravely Default: For the Sequel: 36,990 / 61,799

Overall I feel it's a shame since I quite like the first game (see my tag), but given Asano's statement from one of those end of year interviews (I forget if it was this year or last) about the future of the series depending upon sales of the second game, I suspect Square was hoping for some growth, or at least sales that were relatively the same.

Given we're likely talking about a Q1/Q2 2016 title in the West, I'm not going to hold my breath on that front.

For Star Ocean 5, the producer also noted the following:

Regarding the future of the Star Ocean series: &#8220;I&#8217;d like to be able to keep putting these games out. By the end, when it&#8217;s all finished, we hope we have a game that draws in series fans and new players alike.&#8221;

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/04/star-ocean-5-first-details-famitsu-screenshots#00oxBx1xbQ2BaLUk.99

This isn't nearly as blunt as Asano, but I get the impression they have a select sales volume in mind to continue with the series. I'm guessing Square Enix's mid-sized risks are projects that they're willing to drop in favor of other risks if they don't pan out instead of "WE MUST REVIVE THIS." tier series like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

Vena

The writing was on the wall with Bravely Second. I expect it to have relatively poor legs as well. The opening itself isn't disastrous, but sequels tend to be front loaded.

We could be optimistic that GW is holding people back, and BS will enjoy a solid non-decline in its second week!

... :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel like Bravely Second didn't get the advertisement (or budget) it deserved.

For a game that was a surprise success, they took a surprisingly reserved approach to the sequel.

It felt a lot more like what I'd expect if it had been a middling success that they really weren't sure there'd be an audience for a sequel.

Busaiku

It's a shame Bravely Second was in development before Bravely Default came out in the US.
I imagine SE would've done more if they saw how big it was here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's a shame Bravely Second was in development before Bravely Default came out in the US.
I imagine SE would've done more if they saw how big it was here.

Not for very long though. They started in September 2013.

That's what made me feel they were more so just apathetic since only six months into development it would have been quite easy to increase the scale, and they'd have had the European sales three months earlier.

Q. How long have you been working on Bravely Second?

A. We started in September [2013], so about six months.

Q. Do you have a release window for Bravely Second?

A. Square Enix will decide when, but we don't have a date yet. Of course the development timeline is decided, but that doesn't mean it will be released right after development.
Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20140326...what-lies-ahead-for-the-bravely-default-team/

Busaiku

Well, I wouldn't doubt that then.
I remember when they announced, they wanted it to be a big thing, but then after it did find success, they just don't care.

Vena

Well, I wouldn't doubt that then.
I remember when they announced, they wanted it to be a big thing, but then after it did find success, they just don't care.

Not for very long though. They started in September 2013.

That's what made me feel they were more so just apathetic since only six months into development it would have been quite easy to increase the scale, and they'd have had the European sales three months earlier.

Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20140326...what-lies-ahead-for-the-bravely-default-team/

This absolutely baffles me.

YSO predictions

Week 17, 2015 (Apr 20 - Apr 26)

[PS4] Toukiden: Kiwami < 10k

Isn't that really bad?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
But Bravely Default debuts in 3 days, it's not yet released. I know about YSO's forecasts, usually pretty reliable, but it's not the actual debut. Just to clarify since I've seen people stating BS had a "lower tha expcted" first week despite not being released yet XD

Oregano

I did think that Bravely Second could have done 500k(I expected it to grow from BD at least) but it is clearly not happening. Damon shame too, what a squandered opportunity.

small44

Persona 4 dancing comgnet comparison

Persona 4 dancing:15pts
Persona 4 arena:55pts
Persona 4 golden:28pts
Persona Q:26pts

Kanann

[WiiU]&#12476;&#12494;&#12502;&#12524;&#12452;&#12489; &#12463;&#12525;&#12473; - 42pt
[PS4]&#26032;&#27425;&#20803;&#12466;&#12452;&#12512;&#12493;&#12503;&#12486;&#12517;&#12540;&#12492;VII(&#38480;&#23450;&#29256;) - 41pt
[PS4]&#26032;&#27425;&#20803;&#12466;&#12452;&#12512;&#12493;&#12503;&#12486;&#12517;&#12540;&#12492;VII(&#36890;&#24120;&#29256;) - 37pt

Xenoblade X is in Nep Nep tier?

:O

HGH

Banned
Square is pretty harsh towards its underperforming franchises, so I hope this won't turn out too badly but it sure doesn't seem like it.
Isn't that really bad?
It's a PS4 port of a Vita/PSP monster hunting game's expanded release, that only came out over 6 months after it did on Vita. I mean, these games do better on portables, so I really don't see what they were going for with this release.
Neptunia somehow exceeding expectations.
Based on the "legs" (or rather, lack thereof) of previous Neptunia games, it looks like it'll meet CH's expectations of 40-50k. ;p
I feel like people underestimated it based on Disgaea 5's failure, guesstimating 20K and less sales for it and such. Surprisingly I guess the student has become the master. Er, well not really, but you get the idea.
Plus they're good at marketing to their existing fans to pretty much buy up all their releases. But for how long?

[WiiU]&#12476;&#12494;&#12502;&#12524;&#12452;&#12489; &#12463;&#12525;&#12473; - 42pt
[PS4]&#26032;&#27425;&#20803;&#12466;&#12452;&#12512;&#12493;&#12503;&#12486;&#12517;&#12540;&#12492;VII(&#38480;&#23450;&#29256;) - 41pt
[PS4]&#26032;&#27425;&#20803;&#12466;&#12452;&#12512;&#12493;&#12503;&#12486;&#12517;&#12540;&#12492;VII(&#36890;&#24120;&#29256;) - 37pt

Xenoblade X is in Nep Nep tier?

:O

If I'm reading that right, Nepnep has 78pt and XCX has 42pt. Looks like the WiiU base really does not like jrpg's :/

More comparisons

10 days left:
Puzzle & Dragons Z - 559pt
Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition - 125pt

hongcha

Is it that, or more like JRPG and Xeno-series fans aren't into WiiUs?

There have been no JRPGs to play on the system since its release, so if you mainly play JRPGs there's been no reason to buy a Wii U. Yes, they are getting their one, token JRPG later this month, but I don't think many people will pay $350+ just to play one game. Maybe they'll get a cheap used console if they really want to play it, then sell it all when they're done (pretty common in Japan, it is how many Japanese played Tales of Vesperia on the 360).

Mpl90

If I'm reading that right, Nepnep has 78pt and XCX has 42pt. Looks like the WiiU base really does not like jrpg's :/

More comparisons

10 days left:
Puzzle & Dragons Z - 559pt
Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition - 125pt

Xenoblade X is slightly higher than what Xenoblade had at the same time before the release.
Bravely Second, recently, fell behind, instead. But still, considering how Square seemingly didn't invest in this sequel as much as we thought at the announcement (and the brief development time - September 2013 to April 2015), a debut slightly behind the original shouldn't be that bad for them. I still want to believe in a better debut though! Penny, my master, teach me the way! :p

Also, whenever I see the comparison for P&D, I think that, while it'll certainly debut lower than the original, the difference could be not as much as we think. The original P&D was a strange case: a casual aimed title with far more pts than the actual debut (around 500k). This despite the price being low (IIRC, around the same price as P&D:SMB Edition). Maybe, this time, it'll follow a much more traditional pattern for more casual aimed / Nintendo titles (quite lower pts than actual sales at debut).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
There have been no JRPGs to play on the system since its release, so if you mainly play JRPGs there's been no reason to buy a Wii U. Yes, they are getting their one, token JRPG later this month, but I don't think many people will pay $350+ just to play one game. Maybe they'll get a cheap used console if they really want to play it, then sell it all when they're done (pretty common in Japan, it is how many Japanese played Tales of Vesperia on the 360).

If not many means it will open equal or higher than Xenoblade on Wii I agree.

Xenoblade X is slightly higher than what Xenoblade had at the same time before the release.
Bravely Second, recently, fell behind, instead. But still, considering how Square seemingly didn't invest in this sequel as much as we thought at the announcement (and the brief development time - September 2013 to April 2015), a debut slightly behind the original shouldn't be that bad for them. I still want to believe in a better debut though! Penny, my master, teach me the way! :p

Also, whenever I see the comparison for P&D, I think that, while it'll certainly debut lower than the original, the difference could be not as much as we think. The original P&D was a strange case: a casual aimed title with far more pts than the actual debut (around 500k). This despite the price being low (IIRC, around the same price as P&D:SMB Edition). Maybe, this time, it'll follow a much more traditional pattern for more casual aimed / Nintendo titles (quite lower pts than actual sales at debut).

XCX - 42pt
XC - 40pt

Those 2 points lol
Sequels are usually more front loaded so thats not a good sign.

I did think Bravely Second could sell more than Bravely Default. I do not think it is laughable: before preorders started, it was difficult to get an idea of how much it would have sold. We are predicting a lot of things, so sometimes we are wrong.

Bravely Default sold around 400k units considering For the Sequel and budget and digital versions; the game was well-regarded (is the anime still on-going?) and the fact that For the Sequel sold well showed some interesting in the game over time.

I am not ashamed of predicting such a high LTD (why should I? We are discussing about sales all the time), because I did think it would have been possible. Now the outcome looks more bleak, and therefore I am not predicting as much. Perhaps the second week drop will not be harsh because of Golden Week and therefore it will be less front-loaded than usual (being a sequel).

Now, it will be interesting to understand the reasons of this performance. Is it because SQEX was not able to deliver the message, that is the game was worth playing for all who enjoyed the original entry? Is it because 3DS' fatigue? Well, perhaps yes and no; it seems Fire Emblem If is getting a lot of preorders and if that game is going to sell more than Awakening, it will likely be the first reason (Fire Emblem If is more differentiated with respect to the predecessor).

Vena

Token would mean it were alone, and it isn't (#FE, DQX, and if you want to count MonHun and the Wii titles playable). So it isn't token.

This is where Xenoblade opened on the Wii (dead or not when the title released, and had no shortage of all sorts of software):

01. / 00. [WII] Xenoblade (Nintendo) - 82.952 / NEW

We're currently tracking above Xeno in terms of COMG, and coming off of strong after the fact growth of the Xenoblade "is a good game" phenom. This title should also see strong advertising. All signs point to opening at or higher than Xeno.

It's a PS4 port of a Vita/PSP monster hunting game's expanded release, that only came out over 6 months after it did on Vita. I mean, these games do better on portables, so I really don't see what they were going for with this release.

I'm assuming Sony paid for it or "secured it" through some other sorts of favors. I don't know what reason such a title would, otherwise, have for being released. This seems pretty in order for how we've seen Sony operate in securing titles by giving incentives and swallowing the bullet. Not sure how tenable this is in the long run, though, unless these devs find huge successes in the West and don't run off to greener pastures elsewhere.

Now, it will be interesting to understand the reasons of this performance. Is it because SQEX was not able to deliver the message, that is the game was worth playing for all who enjoyed the original entry? Is it because 3DS' fatigue? Well, perhaps yes and no; it seems Fire Emblem If is getting a lot of preorders and if that game is going to sell more than Awakening, it will likely be the first reason (Fire Emblem If is more differentiated with respect to the predecessor).

I think its safer to say, given what Nirolak posted above, that its the former. Not much reason to have faith in the sequel if SQEX itself didn't seem to care about it.

duckroll

This title should also see strong advertising.

Ha. Ha. Haha. Hahahaha. Ha. Ha.

Don't count on it. Nintendo doesn't really market anything that isn't one of their core franchises. I don't know if it's because they don't know how to market them, or if they're just being cheap for stupid reasons, but that's how it always is.

Vena

Don't count on it. Nintendo doesn't really market anything that isn't one of their core franchises. I don't know if it's because they don't know how to market them, or if they're just being cheap for stupid reasons, but that's how it always is.

:(

You make me sad. Oh well, when I take over Nintendo, I will be sure to make that change!

Mpl90

Well, at least they seem to be doing more here than with the original Xenoblade: almost costant presence in Directs, its own special video showcases, a specific bundle for the game, being in store what, a month before release? I don't know how much it'll help sales to be better than what we think, but they're doing more here than what they did with the first Xenoblade.

duckroll

Well, at least they seem to be doing more here than with the original Xenoblade: almost costant presence in Directs, its own special video showcases, a specific bundle for the game, being in store what, a month before release? I don't know how much it'll help sales to be better than what we think, but they're doing more here than what they did with the first Xenoblade.

Not really. Seems pretty much about the same to me. Xenoblade also had a lot of online videos showing off stuff leading to the release. It had website updates. It's not very effective marketing for attracting larger interest for a product with limited visibility. The majority of people watching these videos and who know about them in the first place are already interested in the game.

Xenoblade had two huge factors going for it that Xenoblade X doesn't - the Wii was actually a successful platform with a large installed base, and Xenoblade wasn't the only notable JRPG on the platform there was already Tales of Graces out, and there was The Last Story coming out after it. Way more momentum for the genre than the WiiU ever had, that's for sure.

hongcha

Well, at least they seem to be doing more here than with the original Xenoblade: almost costant presence in Directs, its own special video showcases, a specific bundle for the game, being in store what, a month before release?

They did all that for Bayonetta 2 (except the hardware bundle; they did however give you Bayonetta 1 for free, while you do not get the original Xenoblade for free with Cross) and B2 sold a paltry 39k first week. Doesn't matter what they do, it is clear most people in Japan who buy a Wii U do so to play their Mario and Zelda games, and little else. That's why third parties avoid it like the plague.

I'm not expecting Cross to sell as poorly as B2, of course. If it sells better than Xenoblade's 83k first week I think Nintendo will be jumping for joy (and I think it would be a success for them, all things considered). Much like B2, they will get the majority of the sales for this game overseas.

Vena

They did all that for Bayonetta 2 (except the hardware bundle; they did however give you Bayonetta 1 for free, while you do not get the original Xenoblade for free with Cross) and B2 sold a paltry 39k first week. Doesn't matter what they do, it is clear most people in Japan who buy a Wii U do so to play their Mario and Zelda games, and little else. That's why third parties avoid it like the plague.

I'm not expecting Cross to sell as poorly as B2, of course. If it sells better than Xenoblade's 83k first week I think Nintendo will be jumping for joy (and I think it would be a success for them, all things considered). Much like B2, they will get the majority of the sales for this game overseas.

I don't really think XCX is comparable to Bayo2 in more than that it is a series on the WiiU and, as such, one leg in the grave. This is a title that is known from a superb sequel in a popular genre in Japan. I don't expect it to open at 400k or some such nonsense, but 90k+ seems reasonable given my perceived push of it (which is apparently not real).

... and the bundle being sold out.

Btw, it seems FuRyu got something else right on 3DS ;)

Not sure that says much.

duckroll

I don't really think XCX is comparable to Bayo2 in more than that it is a series on the WiiU and, as such, one leg in the grave. This is a title that is known from a superb sequel in a popular genre in Japan. I don't expect it to open at 400k or some such nonsense, but 90k+ seems reasonable given my perceived push of it (which is apparently not real).

Well....

Bayonetta first week (2009) - 135,242 (PS3) + 64,325 (360)
Metal Gear Rising first week (2013) - 308,681
Bayonetta 2 first week (2014) - 38,828

Xenobade first week (2010) - 82,952
Xenoblade X first week (2015) - ????

Mpl90

Not really. Seems pretty much about the same to me. Xenoblade also had a lot of online videos showing off stuff leading to the release. It had website updates. It's not very effective marketing for attracting larger interest for a product with limited visibility. The majority of people watching these videos and who know about them in the first place are already interested in the game.

Xenoblade had two huge factors going for it that Xenoblade X doesn't - the Wii was actually a successful platform with a large installed base, and Xenoblade wasn't the only notable JRPG on the platform there was already Tales of Graces out, and there was The Last Story coming out after it. Way more momentum for the genre than the WiiU ever had, that's for sure.

Mmmh...while it's true that Xenoblade got website ads and online trailers as well, the effort put into Xenoblade X advertising seem bigger and better, to me. The videos discussing specific features of the game, with live streamings, seem a better attempt to attract attention for the game, plus we've had the presence in Nintendo Directs before the most recent push. And the bundle helps in attracting who is interested in the game, but has yet to buy a Wii U (even if, honestly, it was quite expensive IIRC...).

Also, while it's undeniable that Wii had a much bigger installed base at the time, I don't know how much we can consider the fact that it wasn't the only JRPG on the platform. Or better, we're talking about Wii in 2010, a platform that, while still with a big installed base and Nintendo big franchises doing well/very well (especially those aimed to a bigger audience), it had important problems in selling more core titles. It was having problems in that since the beginning (excluding Dragon Quest Swords and Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles), but they got worse as time passed (due to both Nintendo's lazyness in doing more to attract more third party titles and third parties themselves both being not sure enough about the platform and DS and PSP being successes/big successes at the same time).
But it's also true that we're comparing Wii in 2010 to Wii U in Japan in 2015, this surely doesn't help the game :(

Top Bottom