• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2017 (Apr 10 - Apr 16)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's just one store chain. It might be a different scenario on other stores. Also, it might be that Zelda increased due to Switch sales rather than MH suddenly dropping like a rock.

MH was able to hold prettyour decent lying so far indeed
Going with initial sales on both famitsu an dengeki it is already over 1.5 millions and probably will continge selling past golden week as the main 3ds attraction
Yes its 2 millions forecast wasn't achieved but for being a G version of a spinoff will do good enough imho

PS4 hardware has almost certainly peaked worldwide, not just Japan. No way they will ship 20 million this year, when it had the Pro boost and continuing Slim boosts (and price cuts) to hit that last year. GTA6 is the only thing that can prevent it from having peaked.

Well we will see about that - sales have been shifting from traditional NA, Western Europe and Japan domination with other territories growing in importance and those regions likely haven't peaked yet.
Also 2017 has several big games launches - Destiny II, Battlefront II, GT7 sport, possibly RDR2 and first part of FFVII remake.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Idk, I really want it to hit one million, but right now I don't think the game will make it

Not even Phantom houglass7was able to hit the million mark on the mighty DS (by a small margin)
Zelda and the million mark in Japan are SO far away in the past 20 years that even thinking BOTW being able to hit that milestone
..would be...historical?

Not even Phantom houglass7was able to hit the million mark on the mighty DS (by a small margin)
Zelda and the million mark in Japan are SO far away in the past 20 years that even thinking BOTW being able to hit that milestone
..would be...historical?

BOTW has had a different build up and reception than any Zelda in practically 20 years if not ever. I feel like this impact may be seen more outside of Japan though.

Passose

Banned
..would be...historical?
I know, but still, the game deserves great sales from all around the world lol. Yes, one million is pretty delusional, but I'm still rooting for it

Arynio

..would be...historical?

PH didn't arrive at console launch and it was certainly not as critically well received as BotW. If the game gets a bump next week with MK8D, there's little doubt it will keep on selling for the rest of the year (if not for the console's lifetime). Oh and then there's the DLC. I would bet on 1M eventually, even without counting the WiiU version.

Passose

Banned
They bought MH5 exclusivity with a clause excluding a Switch version because they're desperate for Japan.

lol
pretty sure Japan will bow down to the mighty ps4 and soon they will kiss Sony's foot after MH5 comes to the ps4, you just wait and see

jk

KtSlime

well............. no, but is it weird that Sony just leave the entire market to Nintendo that easy?

At the beginning of the generation I had some (breif) doubts that Sony would even release in Japan since the kept avoiding giving a launch date for the machine for so long.

It would not surprise me if in the distant future Sony's presence in Japan is primarily as a bank.

BriBri

I'd hazard a guess that MH5 will appear on one of the sponsors for the recent Monster Hunter Championships' platforms.
tumblr_oos3r8kxiG1s2z1y6o3_r1_1280.png

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If Sony didn't care for Japan, company's actions wouldn't include to kill Vita, and with it the software it suits it, in favor of PS4.

cheesekao

Japanese sales of the PS4 makes up for less than 10% of the total install base. It's pretty obvious where their priorities are at the moment. Most of the PS big sellers are from 3rd parties anyway so what more can they do at this point?

Passose

Banned
If Sony didn't care for Japan, company's actions wouldn't include to kill Vita, and with it the software it suits it, in favor of PS4.
Tbh, all of those niche Japanese games that bombed on the ps4, marketing HZD in Japan and all of Japan Studio games showed that they still care about Japan market

Monster Hunter 5, exclusively on the Gakken Ganbaru Tablet.
Isn't MH5 a Ps4 exclusive lol?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I mean Japan was the last place the PS4 launched in. Sony has (and I would say correctly), consolidated all software the PlayStation ecosystem recieves onto the PS4. There's very little to suggest that Sony actively cares too much about the Japan beyond lip service and I'm not sure why PlayStation focused 3rd parties should care either. FF had a 50% drop in sales from last gen and still outsold that game worldwide. By all accounts Japanese publishers should treat the platform as additional source of sales to worldwide etc rather than primary.

Passose

Banned
I mean Japan was the last place the PS4 launched in. Sony has (and I would say correctly), consolidated all software the PlayStation onto the PS4. There's cery little to suggest that Sony actively cares too much about the Japan beyond lip service and I'm not sure why PlayStation focused 3rd parties should care either. FF had a 50% drop in sales from last gen and still outsold that game worldwide. By all accounts Japanese publishers should treat the platform as additional source so sales to worldwide etc rather than primary.
Wait, so if The switch manages to win the entire market for real, what will happen to the ps4 then? Will third parties still release games for it? Or they will jump ship completely?
edit: I mean except ps4 focused developers and western focused developers

test_account

XP-39C²
PS4 sales of hardware/software trending downward regardless of overwhelming support and marketshare.
How does marketshare stop decline though? 3DS has an insane market share in comparison, but its on the decline (which is to be expected at this point in time).

Monster Hunter 5, exclusively on the Gakken Ganbaru Tablet.
Is that the same Gakken that made the LCD games back in the 80s? If so, i didnt know that they were still around, cool :)

Rixa

Wait, so if The switch manages to win the entire market for real, what will happen to the ps4 then? Will third parties still release games for it? Or they will jump ship completely?

Mobile is the new hot thing. Actually its been a thing few years already.

Celine

Hey guys. Not entirely J sales related, but I consider this the default Sales thread around here. I took the old Nintendo shipment information from this thread and added it into Garaph; for NES, SNES, GB, N64. I prefer to stick with the officially released data it's easy to point to, but since it seems pretty legit and it's soooo much more valuable to have early data for those systems than having the first non-zero points be in the late 90s, I'm making an exception here.
If you need more shipment data for old consoles:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=981407

Takao

Banned

It's not PS4 you should be concerned about. It's what comes after. PS5 won't have a duo like PS3 and Vita to mooch games off of soften poor software sales.

Dungeon Travelers 2-2 tops 50K copies according to Aquaplus boss Naoya Shimokawa.
https://twitter.com/AP_shimokawa/status/856369596856651780

Decent result no? The previous game managed about 57k in a year:

165. [PSP] Dungeon Travelers 2: Ouritsu Tokoshan to Mamono no Fuuin # <RPG> (Aqua Plus) {2013.03.28} (¥6.090) - 57.234 / 57.234

Can always port to Switch in a year as well to try and get double-dippers like they did with the PSP/Vita versions of 2 :p

Principate

Saint Titanfall
How does marketshare stop decline though? 3DS has an insane market share in comparison, but its on the decline (which is to be expected at this point in time).

Is that the same Gakken that made the LCD games back in the 80s? If so, i didnt know that they were still around, cool :)
3DS is up YoY though.

Luigiv

5 games actually: MH3G, MH4, MH4U, MHX, and MHXX. It'll be fine once they release MH5. MHX got a positive reaction for being a brand new spinoff that was quite different.

By 4 games in one generation I meant MH generation not hardware generation. MH3G is part of gen 3 whilst MH4 through MHXX are gen 4.

Anyway, in response to everyone else, duly note that it's just one retailer. Thought that might be the case but I wasn't sure. Still my point stands, a MH game shouldn't be falling behind a 3D Zelda game (that it launched two weeks after) at any major Japanese retailer. Maybe not quite a cause for concern, but certainly something to pay attention to.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
BOTW has had a different build up and reception than any Zelda in practically 20 years if not ever. I feel like this impact may be seen more outside of Japan though.

I know, but still, the game deserves great sales from all around the world lol. Yes, one million is pretty delusional, but I'm still rooting for it

PH didn't arrive at console launch and it was certainly not as critically well received as BotW. If the game gets a bump next week with MK8D, there's little doubt it will keep on selling for the rest of the year (if not for the console's lifetime). Oh and then there's the DLC. I would bet on 1M eventually, even without counting the WiiU version.

Yes.
But it is the Nintendo DS we are talking good about and its boost also to zelda sales

zeromcd73

Just moved to Osaka the other day (two streets away from Capcom HQ!) and decided to look around the electronic stores.

Switch was completely sold out everywhere with no confirmed date for a restock. Disgaea 5 and Setsuna were sold out at most places with PuyoPuyo being sold out at Bic Camera.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Just moved to Osaka the other day (two streets away from Capcom HQ!) and decided to look around the electronic stores.

Switch was completely sold out everywhere with no confirmed date for a restock. Disgaea 5 and Setsuna were sold out at most places with PuyoPuyo being sold out at Bic Camera.
How much the Disgaea intially ship anyway.

AniHawk

See the 3ds and Vita. There's your answer.
vita had the benefit of the psp, ps3, and ps4 sharing space in the marketplace. it allowed for a larger audience for developers to reach instead of making games for the vita alone. 3ds was also so different that you probably supported it with exclusive titles instead o ports.

the future of the ps4 in japan is tied to the switch. i expect a lot of multiplatform games with vita and switch in the short term followed by ps4 and switch by the end of the decade. if that isn't happening, then the ps4 game is probably some huge title with aspirations for success in the west.

13ruce

Banned
Mario Kart 8 ,Minecraft, Splatoon 2 and Arms.

Well RIP stock for the coming months in Japan:p local coop Minecraft could be a pretty big deal there that's why i included it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
By 4 games in one generation I meant MH generation not hardware generation. MH3G is part of gen 3 whilst MH4 through MHXX are gen 4.

Anyway, in response to everyone else, duly note that it's just one retailer. Thought that might be the case but I wasn't sure. Still my point stands, a MH game shouldn't be falling behind a 3D Zelda game (that it launched two weeks after) at any major Japanese retailer. Maybe not quite a cause for concern, but certainly something to pay attention to.

What is the logic behind this comparison? They sold very differently in terms of front loaded sales and are in consoles with veryou different life cycle situation
There is nothing strange in seeing zelda eventually having better legs that MH in the actual landscape

L~A

3DS is up YoY though.

As hiska-kun pointed out the other day, you have to take into account the 100k from the Pokémon 2D bundle.

Granted, it doesn't change much, as 3DS is only slighly down if you take them into account, but still worth pointing out.

Anyway, second half of the year (especially post summer holidays, as mentioned a while ago) is when the true YoY battle will start.

This comparison makes absolutely no sense at all.

Luigiv

What is the logic behind this comparison? They sold very differently in terms of front loaded sales and are in consoles with veryou different life cycle situation
There is nothing strange in seeing zelda eventually having better legs that MH in the actual landscape
MHXX is clearly underperforming is what I'm getting at.

This comparison makes absolutely no sense at all.
It does in my mind.

cheesekao

vita had the benefit of the psp, ps3, and ps4 sharing space in the marketplace. it allowed for a larger audience for developers to reach instead of making games for the vita alone. 3ds was also so different that you probably supported it with exclusive titles instead o ports.

the future of the ps4 in japan is tied to the switch. i expect a lot of multiplatform games with vita and switch in the short term followed by ps4 and switch by the end of the decade. if that isn't happening, then the ps4 game is probably some huge title with aspirations for success in the west.
That's basically what I'm getting at. Even if the ps4 is outsold 4 to 1, we will still see games on the ps4.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's basically what I'm getting at. Even if the ps4 is outsold 4 to 1, we will still see games on the ps4.

I think he's talking more niche and mid tier Japan focused titles that have had little success in the west. Major third party games that sell well in the west will always be on the PS4 there was never any doubt in that and a lot of the extremely playstation focus ones will likely remain even if they'll probably have to downscale further due to lack of sustainable sales and will probably expand their platform counts. PlayStation ecosystem only games I believe will inevitably contract substantially though. It's the nature of the game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
MHXX is clearly underperforming is what I'm getting at.

It does in my mind.

I think many could agree on that but MR (only) first week sales seemed way worst than what the game actulying is in terms of sales performances
Famitsu and dengeki offered a better situation from the start and the game continued selling decently
It is over 1.5 millions and even if the 2 million target within the FYI end wasn't reached it should be able to close around that number in terms of LTD
it will probably be the best selling get 3ds game around golden week and so on
And even if it underperformed the comparison with a more leggy zelda in this very situation doesn't make sense

For what it is it's not underperforming.

I agree

cheesekao

I think he's talking more niche and mid tier Japan focused titles that have had little success in the west. Major third party games that sell well in the west will always be on the PS4 there was never any doubt in that and a lot of the extremely playstation focus ones will likely remain even if they'll probably have to downscale further due to lack of sustainable sales and will probably expand their platform counts. PlayStation ecosystem only games I believe will inevitably contract substantially though. It's the nature of the game.
The person I quoted asked if devs will jump ship in the event that the switch dominates the market. I find that extremely unlikely as they will likely expand rather ditch the ps4 all together.

Passose

Banned

ah, that explains a lot, thanks

Luigiv

For what it is it's not underperforming.

Compared to what the series was capable of a few years ago, I'd say it is. The series has had some pretty insane legs before.

I'm sure Capcom feels it's underperforming too, given their estimate of 2m by the end fiscal year. Though, to counter myself, we don't know the sell-in yet (which Capcom is probably more interested in), so we'll probably have to wait for their next investor's briefing to know for sure how they're interpreting the data.

I guess from a realists perspective, you could say the game's performing as well as expected. The game was clearly a harder sell than it's predecessors from it's first announcement. In the grand scheme of things, it's still the best selling game of this calendar year so far, just not quite the juggernaut of the past.

But anyway, I'll stop now. My armchair analytics are getting out of hand at this point. Let's all wait for MH5.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yes, the same. Gakken is a pretty large education/toy/game company. I had no idea they had any presence outside of Japan however.
Cool :) I found a few Gakken LCD games on a flea market here in northern Europe several years ago, thats how i know about them. It is of course possible that these were bought in Japan at some point, but it wouldnt surprise me if some importere here had these games for sale.

3DS is up YoY though.
True. I just wanted to mention that this is hardly related to marketshare.

I mean Japan was the last place the PS4 launched in. Sony has (and I would say correctly), consolidated all software the PlayStation ecosystem recieves onto the PS4. There's very little to suggest that Sony actively cares too much about the Japan beyond lip service and I'm not sure why PlayStation focused 3rd parties should care either. FF had a 50% drop in sales from last gen and still outsold that game worldwide. By all accounts Japanese publishers should treat the platform as additional source of sales to worldwide etc rather than primary.

Sony cares about Japan in terms of acquiring Japanese software from third parties, because they recognise the global appeal of such games, which are often prioritised on their platforms. Overseas sales are engulfing domestic, hence why publishers are focusing on PS4.

Top Bottom