• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2017 (Apr 10 - Apr 16)

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 16, 2017 (Apr 17 - Apr 23)

01./00. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia <SLG> (Nintendo)
02./00. [3DS] Pro Baseball: Famista Climax <SPT> (Bandai Namco)
03./02. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
04./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
05./00. [PS4] Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition <RPG> (From Software)
06./00. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (Limited Edition) <SLG> (Nintendo)
07./00. [PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2-2 <RPG> (Aqua Plus)
08./05. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
09./03. [3DS] Mario Sports Super Stars <SPT> (Nintendo)
10./00. [PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2-2 (Premium Edition) <RPG> (Aqua Plus)
11./06. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
12./07. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft)
13./08. [WiiU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
14./09. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
15./12. [NSW] Super Bomberman R <ACT> (Konami)
16./11. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
17./16. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
18./17. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix)
19./00. [PS4] PaRappa the Rapper Remastered <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
20./00. [NSW] Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker <ACT> (Square Enix)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 16, 2017 (Apr 17 - Apr 23)

01./01. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./02. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
03./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
04./00. [PS4] New Hot Shots Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
05./08. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <ADV> (Bandai Namco)
06./00. [3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 2: The Resolve of Ry&#363;nosuke Naruhod&#333; <ADV> (Capcom)
07./16. [NSW] Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (Limited Box) <ACT> (Marvelous)
08./11. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin (amiibo Set) <ACT> (Nintendo)
09./29. [3DS] Cube Creator DX <ADV> (Arc System Works)
10./07. [PS4] Gundam Versus: Premium G (Sound Edition) <ACT> (Bandai Namco)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 15, 2017 (Apr 10 - Apr 16)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

--------------------

As I said, this saturday there was a re-stock at Sofmap Akiba, and I guess in every store in the Bic Camera Group nation-wide. Switch is expected to increase sales, if you ask me.
hezDym1.jpg

Luigiv

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 16, 2017 (Apr 17 - Apr 23)

02./00. [3DS] Pro Baseball: Famista Climax <SPT> (Bandai Namco)
03./02. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
04./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
05./00. [PS4] Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition <RPG> (From Software)
06./00. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (Limited Edition) <SLG> (Nintendo)
07./00. [PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2-2 <RPG> (Aqua Plus)
08./05. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
09./03. [3DS] Mario Sports Super Stars <SPT> (Nintendo)
10./00. [PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2-2 (Premium Edition) <RPG> (Aqua Plus)
11./06. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
12./07. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft)
13./08. [WiiU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
14./09. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
15./12. [NSW] Super Bomberman R <ACT> (Konami)
16./11. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
17./16. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
18./17. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix)
19./00. [PS4] PaRappa the Rapper Remastered <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
20./00. [NSW] Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker <ACT> (Square Enix)

Wait, BotW over MH?
H7iEm8CKI9ZAs.gif

Capcom really needs to pull their act together with MH. They really risk running the series into the ground at this point. 4 games in the same generation on the same system was just a dumb idea. They'll really need to wow with MH5 if they're going to win the mass market back.

Wait, BotW over MH?
H7iEm8CKI9ZAs.gif

Capcom really needs to pull their act together with MH. They really risk running the series into the ground at this point. 4 games in the same generation on the same system was just a dumb idea. They'll really need to wow with MH5 if they're going to win the mass market back.

All they need to do is put MH5 on the Switch and they'll be fine.

Theswweet

Is that good or bad for Spelunker? I'm liking the demo, but not sure if I want to drop $50 on a game that more or less requires a partner for some parts.

random25

Wait, BotW over MH?
H7iEm8CKI9ZAs.gif

It's just one store chain. It might be a different scenario on other stores. Also, it might be that Zelda increased due to Switch sales rather than MH suddenly dropping like a rock.

That's not to say they won't be significant in helping the Switch sell well.

I misunderstood which part of the post you were replying to.

I think it's going to be a fun race to see which switch game sells the most lifetime. There is a lot of competition on the way. In general when you think about it there are so many million and multimillion selling games on there way to the switch.

Or SE can just delay the game until early 2018
I doubt they will go that far if there is indeed a Switch version it will come out in the next 6 months.

I imagine that Nintendo would simply move the release date for Splatoon 2 if Square Enix was going to launch Dragon Quest XI day and date with the other versions.

I wonder if Nintendo did not have a say about the Switch version and this was their call

Has Xenoblade ever sold well?

no in Japan

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wait, BotW over MH?
H7iEm8CKI9ZAs.gif

5 games actually: MH3G, MH4, MH4U, MHX, and MHXX. It'll be fine once they release MH5. MHX got a positive reaction for being a brand new spinoff that was quite different.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So with the end of fiscal year fiscal calls almost upon us, I thought I'd list out some things to watch for among Japanese publishers.

Square Enix: Square's call is in an awkward timeframe for them, because they're clearly in the middle of a transition, and have to weigh how much they want to say now versus how much they want to save for later. Most of their current initiatives have been a mixed bag of results, even though the company as a whole is very profitable, and they've been clear that they want to address that.

There's lots of experimentation with service games across every part of the company, the handheld market is now very blurred with console and/or mobile, their mobile division is going under a large strategy shift, their Western division is shifting to new series, and their Japanese console division still seems lost in the woods. This is before we even get to things like their Japanese esports efforts.

Traditionally, Square Enix would literally try to address all of this, but they don't want to shit talk products from their old strategies that haven't come out yet, especially without new ones to show.

Since I'm sure not everyone has been following, their recent changes include:
- Switching their Western studios to ongoing services (a la Hitman) or Marvel titles (Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal) in the face of headwinds for mid-tier titles, a category which their games like Tomb Raider and Deus Ex have recently fallen into. There are still two new Tomb Raider games in development though, one of which is the Eidos Montreal title that's presumably exactly like the last game which underperformed, so this would be the hesitation in talking about games like this being outdated and hard to sell.
- They want to switch to making mobile games that are unique ideas and really stand out in the market. You usually can't overpower Fate/Grand Order's 200 person development team and brand power with even higher production values and brand strength, so Square Enix has announced they will do it by instead focusing on creating new categories. Their existing successful games will of course see continuous updates. The hard part here is that they made this decision not all that long ago, so it's not clear they will have any examples to point to.
- Square Enix also noted last time around that they wanted their handheld games to also all be on mobile as mobile premium title, but they were obviously slow rolling that one. Not sure they're ready to talk about anything related to that yet.
- As Final Fantasy XV's fascinating update cycle shows, along with some of their other titles, they would like to expand most of their products to the service model. That said, again, with the exception of their MMOs, the products aren't like to be ready to discuss.
- They're still very committed to Japanese esports despite canning all their old titles. Here, they'll probably talk about FLAME x BLAZE, as it's an upcoming title that's largely done.
- I'm not sure if they have any brand revivals left in the pipeline given most of those seem to have come out.
- It's hard to talk about Japanese HD console games that are still years off, so I imagine that discussion would largely be limited to Dragon Quest XI and a look back at recent games.

I guess they could just vaguely repeat all their old statements and give whatever updates they can. To be clear, by "talk about", I mean even in the sense of referencing unspecified upcoming titles and the strategy behind them, since it's awkward to announce a brilliant new strategy, and then titles that don't fit that strategy later.

Bandai Namco: Namco doesn't really say things in their fiscal calls to my knowledge, but they're already a king on mobile and their licensed business is going okay. Things like the Western indie business aren't worth mentioning. While I don't think they'll talk about it, the thing to watch for from them this year is actually probably their increased output of HD console titles with an actual budget. They've seen some success in the mid-tier boutique game space, and seem to be chasing it aggressively in a way they haven't in 5+ years, bringing back titles like Ace Combat, funding another Ni no Kuni, and even starting up new brands like Code Vein.

Konami: I imagine they're just going to stay the course with mobile and lower budget console/PC service titles. Nothing's really going wrong for them, and they haven't saturated any of these to the point that it makes sense to expand in new directions.

Koei Tecmo: I think Koei has to address their Japanese business at this point by either discussing what will replace their tumbling domestic sales, or how they're going to get them back. They've had a rough year with only a few bright spots, and there's not much reason for investors to believe the future is bright unless Koei sells them on it.

Sega: Yeah, I can't imagine they'll have much to say. Not exactly an ambitious company, and still have plenty of room to focus on their current business strategies and transitions. They can also fill as much air as needed with gambling and not look ridiculous doing so.

Nintendo: This should be a pretty easy fiscal call. They have 6-9 months of content announced already and they can spend a lot of time pointing to current successes. The main thing people will want to hear about it the full year Switch projection (they can just pick a safe-ish number like 10 million and likely be okay) and then talk about their mobile business (they can report Fire Emblem's sales, but I think they'll also be forced to talk about Animal Crossing, or at least set a date for talking about Animal Crossing).

Capcom: I think they'll need to promise some interesting things. I expect their three flagship titles to be at least somewhat under expectations, so they'll want to focus on the future, and that means they have to actually talk a lot about the future and why it will be better. They've got both four mobile games, and presumably more than one console game for this fiscal year, and I expect a lot of talk about them even if they don't say exactly what they are.

Overall, should be pretty informative.

Kanann

Square Enix: Please be excited.

Bandai Namco: At least we have Gundam.

Konami: Our shady businesses are doing great.

Koei Tecmo: Did Nioh just save our asses?

Sega: Our shady businesses are doing okay.

Nintendo: Switch BANZAI!

Capcom: ...welp.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 16 2017

02./00. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Climax <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games)
03./00. [PS4] Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition <RPG> (From Software)
04./00. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia [Limited Edition] <SLG> (Nintendo)

05./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
06./02. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
07./00. [PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2-2: The Maiden Who Fell into Darkness and the Book of Beginnings <RPG> (Aqua Plus)
08./04. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
09./00. [PS4] PaRappa the Rapper Remastered <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
10./08. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
11./03. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars <SPT> (Nintendo)
12./05. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft)
13./11. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
14./09. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
15./10. [NSW] Super Bomberman R <ACT> (Konami)
16./06. [PS4] LEGO Worlds <ADV> (Warner Entertainment)
17./12. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix)
18./00. [NSW] Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker <ACT> (Square Enix)
19./21. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)
20./07. [PS4] Warriors Stars <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So with the end of fiscal year fiscal calls almost upon us, I thought I'd list out some things to watch for among Japanese publishers.

Konami: I imagine they're just going to stay the course with mobile and lower budget console/PC service titles. Nothing's really going wrong for them, and they haven't saturated any of these to the point that it makes sense to expand in new directions.

Thanks for the information! Out of curiosity, if Bomberman R exceeded expectations for Konami, do you think we'll hear about it?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks for the information! Out of curiosity, if Bomberman R exceeded expectations for Konami, do you think we'll hear about it?

It's not impossible. It's going to be a low earner compared to their mobile games, but it also represents strong franchise growth in a new business avenue, so it might be worth highlighting as an example of console service game success.

by now, Botw probably won't make it to one million copies

It was always a long shot. I don't think we'll know for sure where it will end up until MK8D comes out. If Zelda gets a nice bump along with the increased HW sales and doesn't stop selling due to MK8D it could go a lot further. It's too early to tell.

Passose

Banned
It was always a long shot. I don't think we'll know for sure where it will end up until MK8D comes out. If Zelda gets a nice bump along with the increased HW sales and doesn't stop selling due to MK8D it could go a lot further. It's too early to tell.
Idk, I really want it to hit one million, but right now I don't think the game will make it

Passose

Banned
Yeah, legs are kind of a big deal. Not that N64 in Japan is a massive success story, but it's worth noting its #1 and #2 games were released in 1996.
SSB

GameCube's #1 SSBM was released 2 months after launch. Wii Sports ended up #2 overall.
I think with a game like splatoon, it will easily hit 1-2 million or more in long term

Dynheart

Banned
Idk, I really want it to hit one million, but right now I don't think the game will make it

It'll be a slow burn. Great games don't stop selling. The more the console sells, the more people will be apt to purchase the must buy game. Its not like, arguably one of the best games of all time (at the very least, Zelda title), is going to stop selling after a couple of months on the market, especially on a new console and failed one.

If the Switch is going to be as popular as speculated, I think BotW will sell just fine. It will just be one of those titles that will sell over time.

EDIT: Also, didn't it already hit a million? 900k + Japan sales. Or are you only worried about 1 million in Japan? This, obviously, is not counting Wii U sales.

Ōkami

Talking about Konami, they announced their Yu Gi Oh game on mobile had surpassed 40 million downloads.

Pawapuro on mobile was at some 25 million or so last time they said anything, and the football version of that game didn't do anything special.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PS4 sales of hardware/software trending downward regardless of overwhelming support and marketshare.

Honestly, I think the real surprise would be if it didn't.

Like, most of their big guns either launched last year, or are coming out this year, and even in normal situations, consoles tend to peak around or before year 3.

kinger256

PS4 sales of hardware/software trending downward regardless of overwhelming support and marketshare.

PS4 most likely had it's peak year already, but I don't see a drastic falloff in sales in the coming years. More like a graceful end something similar to what the PS3 had. It's up YoY and it has the full backing of both western and Japanese companies so it will never run out of key software. I don't see how the software is trending down though.

D.Lo

PS4 hardware has almost certainly peaked worldwide, not just Japan. No way they will ship 20 million this year, when it had the Pro boost and continuing Slim boosts (and price cuts) to hit that last year. GTA6 is the only thing that can prevent it from having peaked.

casiopao

&#332;kami;234558195 said:
Talking about Konami, they announced their Yu Gi Oh game on mobile had surpassed 40 million downloads.

Pawapuro on mobile was at some 25 million or so last time they said anything, and the football version of that game didn't do anything special.

Konami had always been a great money maker there. It is only because of them killing Hudson that sours me here.(Of course Kojima debacle too but that is another thing lol.)

I mean, till now, their arcade game seems to be a nice money maker for them too.^^

What's weird about that? Basically since the release of the PS3 that's basically been the norm (PlayStation consoles selling middling amounts of HW I mean). If anything I think the PS4 has surpassed expectations this year with its HW sales. If the PS4 wasn't trending downward next year that would be a huge surprise.

I do think next year will be fun for Japanese sales. With the switch looking to be a big success it'll be fun seeing some big HW and SE numbers again.

Top Bottom