• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2017 (Apr 10 - Apr 16)

noshten

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231697055

So, according to Famitsu, these are the first shipment range:

Zelda Breat of the Wild - from 241k to 321k
1-2-Switch - from 103k to 137k
Bomberman R - from 50k to 66k
Dragon Quest Heroes 1-2 - from 43k to 64k
PuoPuyo - from 32k to 64k
Disgaea 5 - from 12k to 25k
Setsuna - from 11k to 23k

So if you are running a company well you'd expect another shipment for the majority of these titles before/at the MK8D launch. I can totally see people picking up a few copies of Bomberman R, DQH and PuoPuyo with MK8D. While Disgaea and Setsuna being hard to find means that their initial small stock is also close to exhaustion. If we see a bunch of titles move up the rankings next week - we'd know that to a degree smaller titles are coordinating themselves with major Nintendo software launches.

goldage

Banned
mh on ps4 has to be one of the illogical and desperate moves sony fans have placed their hopes upon

especially when it means nothing for ps4s fortunes, i mean its not like they care about mhs well being

multiplaform with switch makes some sense but would it really be worth it at that point when switch exclusivity achieves the same purpose for less cost?

even 3ds/switch makes more sense if userbase is the main argument for ps4 but again switch exclusivity makes more sense as we've seen how well mh can seĺl even when a handheld has low userbase since they synergise very well, helping both sell in tandem

vita was a much better fit for mh and that never happend, i dont think replacing portability for hd graphics is the key to making mh a big hit in the west and making it a big hit would be the only worthwhile goal as any other platform can sell 1m or so copies in the west

this whole mh talk basically boils down to console wars nonsense all in the name of vita

let it rip

cheesekao

mh on ps4 has to be one of the illogical and desperate moves sony fans have placed their hopes upon

especially when it means nothing for ps4s fortunes, i mean its not like they care about mhs well being

multiplaform with switch makes some sense but would it really be worth it at that point when switch exclusivity achieves the same purpose for less cost?

even 3ds/switch makes more sense if userbase is the main argument for ps4 but again switch exclusivity makes more sense as we've seen how well mh can seĺl even when a handheld has low userbase since they synergise very well, helping both sell in tandem

vita was a much better fit for mh and that never happend, i dont think replacing portability for hd graphics is the key to making mh a big hit in the west and making it a big hit would be the only worthwhile goal as any other platform can sell 1m or so copies in the west

this whole mh talk basically boils down to console wars nonsense all in the name of vita

let it rip
Hi there.

I'd like to play MH on PS4 because I'm poor.

Thanks for listening.

It really should've been day one (along with Cube Life: Island Survival, Battleminer and every other clone).

I'm guessing none of them expected minecraft to hit so soon, before direct i didnt think it would appear til nearer christmas, there probably will still be a market for the clones but i doubt they'll rake in the big bucks any more

let it rip

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1305643

In the above interview Capcom talk about:

>Capcom talk about PS4 having 100m+ install base by 2020
>The need to grow MH overseas
>MH being handheld hinder its growth potential.

But yeah all this talk about MH5 being on PS4 is pure fanboy fodder!

MANUELF

Banned
Knowing how adverse to risk Capcom is I dont really know why you guys believe they will spend millions upon millions to chase a western market that dont exist

Vena

Knowing how adverse to risk Capcom is I dont really know why you guys believe they will spend millions upon millions to chase a western market that dont exist

Capcom hasn't made a good decision in years. They torpedoed one of their most renowned franchises with a trashfire release, that takes a bit more than mere incompetence.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

If they are presumably finally moving on from PSP/3DS era development I see no compelling reason not to go Switch/PS4.

cheesekao

I hope you realize that generally whenever someone says "MH PS4", they don't mean "MH exclusively for PS4".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

They've actually switched up their strategy a bit recently now that they're hiring 1000+ new staff.

There was also a corporate reorganization around the idea of taking more chances again.

I'm not saying that means Monster Hunter is 100% on PS4, but expect to see more risks going forward in general.

let it rip

I did not know Switch had a overseas' userbase of 50 million+

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
that would be nice, it would be interesting if they mention if there was some growth on their games overseas or if they have plats to bring their games over here.

Square Enix actually noted that they were bringing more mobile games to the West, and separately noted that Star Ocean: Amnesis and Dissidia: Final Fantasy: Opera Omnia are performing well on mobile.

Fate/Grand Order was also announced for the West.

goldage

Banned
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1305643

In the above interview Capcom talk about:

>Capcom talk about PS4 having 100m+ install base by 2020
>The need to grow MH overseas
>MH being handheld hinder its growth potential.

But yeah all this talk about MH5 being on PS4 is pure fanboy fodder!
capcom might care about mhs future doesnt mean everyone arguing for it does

I did not know Switch had a overseas' userbase of 50 million+
i covered that literally in the very next sentence

facepalm.gif

Because it's the next logical step to grow the IP?
Now that they're switching (lol) development to the Switch they will need to spend extra $$$ on updating the assets anyway.

MisterR

let it rip

No, someone begging and pleading a game stay exclusive is definitely console wars bullshit though. Multi-platform is almost always best for 3rd party games.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You don't really know until you try.

That's his point though, Capcom doesn't bother trying full stop. I still think a port of some sort is on the way though since it'll be a cheap and easy thing to do. If people are talking about fully investing to chase the western market I highly doubt it. Not even Resident Evil their flagship western title gets massive budget these days why would MH. Which is why a PS4 exclusive makes the least sense of all.

Kyoufu

That's his point though, Capcom doesn't bother trying full stop. I still think a port of some sort is on the way though since it'll be a cheap and easy thing to do. If people are talking about fully investing to chase the western market I highly doubt it. Not even Resident Evil their flagship western title gets massive budget these days why would MH. Which is why a PS4 exclusive makes the least sense of all.

You're going to see them trying. Whether they succeed or not remains to be seen, but they'll at least try.

goldage

Banned
No, someone begging and pleading a game stay exclusive is definitely console wars bullshit though. Multi-platform is almost always best for 3rd party games.
depends which exclusivity you're arguing for

in this case its the sony fans that are begging for it since its cuŕrently nintendos

I seems obvious to me. If Capcom wants to try to hit the biggest possible market, then a Switch/PS4 release is the best choice. However, they may want to keep development costs down and only releasing on Switch would keep graphic expectations lower and development costs lower. Although they could keep the game at Switch-level graphics even on PS4 and many people would still be ok with that.
I personally think they should release on both consoles because even if MH only sells to a small fraction of PS4 owners, it could still make a bigger splash overseas. If it doesn't work then they could just go back to handheld only again.

It's weird that some people have so much emotionally invested in this though. It's just a game.

MTC100

Banned
Still shocks me when people are buying the Switch without games. Are people buying in preparation of Mario Kart 8? Are they buying games digitally instead?

The system is a handheld device and digital sales are interesting as you don't need to take a lot of carts with you. So I guess there are a lot of games sold via the e-shop. It would be interesting to know how many but it doesn't look like Nintendo will tell us, we'll know the total Zelda sales by end of their fiscal year in April though -and I wouldn't be too surprised if it had an immense attach rate.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You're going to see them trying. Whether they succeed or not remains to be seen, but they'll at least try.

Why? Have you seen Resident Evil 7? The company is risk averse as hell, big budget MH isn't happening. Not only doesn't not make little sense in terms of risk either way it'll absolutely destroy the bottom line of a franchise they're literally live off of. Do you honestly think, it's by chance that they haven't tried this before now? That last mainline MH that was released on consoles was developed from the ground up for the wii not the PS3.

Capcom will give you a Switch port and that's pretty much it. Either that or MH released on the PS4 will be cheap as hell.

lyrick

I seems obvious to me. If Capcom wants to try to hit the biggest possible market, then a Switch/PS4 release is the best choice. However, they may want to keep development costs down and only releasing on Switch would keep graphic expectations lower and development costs lower. Although they could keep the game at Switch-level graphics even on PS4 and many people would still be ok with that.
I personally think they should release on both consoles because even if MH only sells to a small fraction of PS4 owners, it could still make a bigger splash overseas. If it doesn't work then they would just go back to handheld only again.

It's weird that some people have so much emotionally invested in this though. It's just a game.

MH only sold to a extremely small fraction of the PS2 audience and it definitely only sold to a small fraction of the Wii audience.

Let Capcom try that shit again though, because well no good reason really.

Kyoufu

Why? Have you seen Resident Evil 7? The company is risk averse as hell, big budget MH isn't happening. Not only doesn't not make little sense in terms of risk either way it'll absolutely destroy the bottom line of a franchise they're literally live off of. Do you honestly think, it's by chance that they haven't tried this before now? That last mainline MH that was released on consoles was developed from the ground up for the wii not the PS3.

Capcom will give you a Switch port and that's pretty much it.

It's one of their biggest franchises today and Capcom being an international business want it to succeed globally and not just domestically.

MTC100

Banned
I personally think they should release on both consoles because even if MH only sells to a small fraction of PS4 owners, it could still make a bigger splash overseas. If it doesn't work then they would just go back to handheld only again.

I think there is a reason why Capcom brings MH exclusively to Nintendo systems, even though the series took off on a Sony Handheld years ago. Capcom was a company Nintendo had good ties to ever since, they even got the Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 4 exclusively on the GameCube. -Even though that changed over time and RE4 was ported to the PS2 and a lot of systems later on, it was one of the best exclusives on the GameCube for a long time.

Also Capcom knows quite well, that everyone that wants to play Monster Hunter will buy the dedicated system for it, at least in Japan where the series has the most sales. I wouldn't expect a PS4 version, Capcom is likely already preparing a Switch Port/Remaster of the 3DS game though.

Vena

Regardless of the angle, its the last "big" exclusive that remains shrouded in mystery, and its been a tantalizing/controversial one for the better part of the last decade.

This being a sales thread, the fact that the title has become a linchpin of discourse is no surprise.

We're also entering a tumultuous point in the market as the Switch does appear to have reason to be rather disruptive against past norms, while the PS4 has once more begun to slip into the doldrums as the major titles have come and gone and fortunes remained unchanged in the market (this also naturally feeds into discussions of the "next big title" for the PS4 as it is deeply dependent on big swings as Sony/3rd parties have largely failed to ever find/make an evergreen title). These factors will continue to fuel discussion over "big" titles as the landscape of the market is going to probably be seeing a lot of change in the coming years now that a new hardware may actually prove to be successful for once since the 3DS.

Zedark

I think there is a reason why Capcom brings MH exclusively to Nintendo systems, even though the series took off on a Sony Handheld years ago. Capcom was a company Nintendo had good ties to ever since, they even got the Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 4 exclusively on the GameCube. -Even though that changed over time and RE4 was ported to the PS2 and a lot of systems later on, it was one of the best exclusives on the GameCube for a long time.

Also Capcom knows quite well, that everyone that wants to play Monster Hunter will buy the dedicated system for it, at least in Japan where the series has the most sales. I wouldn't expect a PS4 version, Capcom is likely already preparing a Switch Port/Remaster of the 3DS game though.

They already seem to have hinted at it:
Takashi Mochizuki said:
Capcom didn't deny Monster Hunter on Switch. I asked if it's coming to Switch, and Mr. Kojima said "Hope you enjoy it on 3DS first."

MH only sold to a extremely small fraction of the PS2 audience and it definitely only sold to a small fraction of the Wii audience.

Let Capcom try that shit again though, because well no good reason really.

To be fair it did sell incredibly well in japan on the Wii, its only in comparison to the handheld games that it doesn't look impressive

Top Bottom