• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2011 (Apr 18 - Apr 24)

Kyoufu

wrowa said:
I don't see how Capcom would profit from that. The Monster Hunter franchise is a series that is dependent on the multiplayer experience; splitting the fanbase on many different platforms sounds like an idea that would only hurt the brand in the end.

Monster Hunter is on the following platforms:

PS2
PSP
PC
Wii
Mobile Phone

I'm sure it'll end up on every platform ever. Personally I don't want it to. I'd prefer if Capcom's resources were devoted in a brand new shiny MH experience that moved the series forward, but oh well.

wrowa said:
I don't see how Capcom would profit from that. The Monster Hunter franchise is a series that is dependent on the multiplayer experience; splitting the fanbase on many different platforms sounds like an idea that would only hurt the brand in the end.
Long term, it is going to happen. With 3DS released and the NGP release in Fall, PSP active userbase will start to dwindle.

The multiplayer argument is incorrect, as most people don't have multiple consoles. There's a reason why all multiplayer games released today are multiplayer - you easily tap into multiple markets and there are no examples that a multiplayer games gets decreased sales with each additional version.

Vinci said:
NGP has dual-analogue and better graphics. No way much of the userbase is going to transition to the 3DS over that.

I dunno, the market at large doesn't seem to give a shit about better graphics. Dunno if the japanese MH fanbase are that into graphics. And some will tell you that the touch screen can replace a 2nd analog (poorly IMO). It's far from clear cut, and Sony should not chance MH on the 3DS...what do they do if it takes off?

It's all academic anyway, capcom will decide. But if Sony had any say in the matter, they would be foolish not to try to keep MH off 3DS.

Vinci

Danish
velvet_nitemare said:
I dunno, the market at large doesn't seem to give a shit about better graphics. Dunno if the japanese MH fanbase are that into graphics. And some will tell you that the touch screen can replace a 2nd analog (poorly IMO). It's far from clear cut, and Sony should not chance MH on the 3DS...what do they do if it takes off?

It's all academic anyway, capcom will decide. But if Sony had any say in the matter, they would be foolish not to try to keep MH off 3DS.

Basically, at the heart of this debate, is this: I don't think Sony can keep MH off the 3DS whether it wants to or not. If Capcom wants it there, nothing Sony says is going to stop it. I think it might have leverage, however, over whether it hits the PSP or not though.

Kyoufu said:
Monster Hunter is on the following platforms:

PS2
PSP
PC
Wii
Mobile Phone

I'm sure it'll end up on every platform ever. Personally I don't want it to. I'd prefer if Capcom's resources were devoted in a brand new shiny MH experience that moved the series forward, but oh well.

The only one that really matters is the Portable mainline series. The rest are mostly spinoffs.

Takao

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
Long term, it is going to happen. With 3DS released and the NGP release in Fall, PSP active userbase will start to dwindle.

The multiplayer argument is incorrect, as most people don't have multiple consoles. There's a reason why all multiplayer games released today are multiplayer - you easily tap into multiple markets and there are no examples that a multiplayer games gets decreased sales with each additional version.

None of those games are based on local multiplayer like a handheld game is. Using ideology based on the Western gaming world's console approach is an incredibly poor idea to link to Japanese handhelds.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
vicissitudes said:
The only one that really matters is the Portable mainline series. The rest are mostly spinoffs.
I think you have it the wrong way around. It's the portable versions that are mere enhanced ports rather than new entries, despite selling there the most.

Anyway, maybe a Monster Hunter 4 on 3DS/NGP a year from now won't do as hot as Portable 3rd due to the install base, but it's likely a 4G a year after that would get pretty close. I don't think there's a huge benefit in doing one more PSP title, if there is one at all, especially since it has to be all new instead of another cheap port with some extras. Unless they do a 3rdG, but I thought 3rd already has G type content included since I've seen all those monster recolors and what not that they tend to use for them?

As for splitting the market if it's on both 3DS and NGP, how so? Friends will get it on the same platform. I know it's really popular in Japan but outside Monster Hunter gatherings surely they just play with friends rather than go up to random strangers? At the same time they can also get people who own a different platform to get it, and their friends to get it too, without having to purchase another system on top. Wouldn't Capcom like to tap the audience that goes to Pokemon tournaments and what not?

Monster Hunter Portable 3G is most likely the next mainline MH game coming out. Based on the release schedule of MHP2G, it will come out late this year/early next year.

Why put it on the 3DS? The user base wont be able to support such a game yet. The best thing to do is to put it on the PSP and maximize your profits. You can even port the game to the NGP like has been shown with MHP3 to begin to migrate the userbase to the NGP.

Maybe you can have a separate offshoot game called MH3D on the 3DS, but I wouldn't give the 3DS the mainline series. Doesn't make much sense.

Well, that is what I would do anyway. But, I am not Capcom so I have no idea what they are thinking.

m.i.s.

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Nintendo/Pokémon DS games published after December 2, 2008 account for something like 3 times as many game sales as all SCE games ever published on PSP.

Thanks!

But I was just referring to Nintendo systems in general (perhaps unwisely). Plus, there have been gaps in the DS schedule too.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The more I think about this, the more I find myself stunned at just how much Nintendo has managed to screw the pooch on this one. It went from hype hype hype to it's dead dead dead.

High price + not great games = not the way Nintendo needed to go. They should have delayed the system further. :/

wrowa

At this point the sales of Monster Hunter aren't just limited by the chosen platform but more importantly by the size of the Japanese game market in general. Whatever they do, the series can't grow much or any bigger. The Monster Hunter series is by now what Nintendo would call a "social phenomenon". It's as successful as it is because of the portable multiplayer experience it delivers. That is also the reason why only the portable Monster Hunters are multi-million sellers while the best-selling console Monster Hunter barely sold more than a million units. Releasing the portable Monster Hunter games on more than one console wouldn't help the series much. Similar to Dragon Quest Monster Hunter will probably sell well regardless of the chosen plattform. Making it multiplattform will not necessarily end up in much higher sales; due to the social nature of the portable entries it might even hurt the overall sales (more than the eventual generation switch would anyway). The worst case scenario for the brand is when someone has to decide whether he buys Monster Hunter 3DS so that he can play with his friends who own a 3DS or whether he buys Monster Hunter NGP so that he can play with his NGP friends instead -- because in that scenrio it's not unlikely that some people will just pass on it altogether.

Jomjom

Banned
RpgN said:
I still think Pilotwings could have been the WiiSports for the 3DS if it was bundled as well.

No way. There was nothing revolutionary about Pilotwings. It was essentially the SNES game with better graphics and better controls.

Takao said:
None of those games are based on local multiplayer like a handheld game is. Using ideology based on the Western gaming world's console approach is an incredibly poor idea to link to Japanese handhelds.

There is no proof that doing multiplatform ports hampers game's sales in any conditions.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
jling84 said:
No way. There was nothing revolutionary about Pilotwings. It was essentially the SNES game with better graphics and better controls.

It doesnt have to be revolutionary to be a fitting pack-in title.

Acosta

Your assumption that Sony can't reach an agreement with Capcom is naive at best.

Your idea that someway, they will release a multi version when NGP is much more potent than 3DS is showing a severe lack of experience of the series, because is condemning it to the same limitations it has faced from PS2 times. Maybe some of you have only played on Wii, but some of us has been playing since the first iteration and the series really need to move on the technology side (and don't give me the crap of sales, the change it needs is not going to cut the sales potential or its virtues, but empower them.)

The discussion about Monster Hunter in every Media Create thread is tired and getting into "Dragon Quest can't be released on Wii levels!". For god's sake, let Capcom decide what they want to do and then discuss about it, not about your own fabrications.

Takao

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
There is no proof that doing multiplatform ports hampers game's sales in any conditions.

That's because there has never been a franchise so dependent on local multiplayer in this position before. With online mutliplayer there will always be someone to play against, but it's been shown that Monster Hunter's draw is not online multiplayer.

Kyoufu

Takao said:
That's because there has never been a franchise so dependent on local multiplayer in this position before. With online mutliplayer there will always be someone to play against, but it's been shown that Monster Hunter's draw is not online multiplayer.

Well how can they prove/disprove a feature if they don't implement it? Online multi-player is the reason they sold their games on consoles.

Jomjom

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
It doesnt have to be revolutionary to be a fitting pack-in title.

It does if it's going to be a Wii Sports. Wii Sports sold the Wii, Pilotwings is not even selling itself. Up until the release of Wii Sports, neither you nor I, your grandma, or mom had ever seen a game like that.

darkwing

RurouniZel said:
The more I think about this, the more I find myself stunned at just how much Nintendo has managed to screw the pooch on this one. It went from hype hype hype to it's dead dead dead.

High price + not great games = not the way Nintendo needed to go. They should have delayed the system further. :/

just wait for the games, its not dead, its like the DS

Alexios

Acosta said:
Your idea that someway, they will release a multi version when NGP is much more potent than 3DS is showing a severe lack of experience of the series
Is that a response to me? Care to explain why you believe this? How would 3DS/NGP MH be so outdated, too outdated for your, or rather, the fanbase's liking, if it was Tri-level geometry with higher resolution textures and more modern shader effects to allow things like normal mapping, reflections and dynamic shadows from torches and explosions? Shader effects that they could easily improve on an NGP up port (if deemed necessary), alongside the display resolution and frame rate? How would that be so bad and outdated compared to the LP2 and Uncharted tech demos, both of which had as obvious compromises as the RE titles do on 3DS compared to the current home console titles, despite the fact the NGP appears, on paper, quite a bit more powerful? Perhaps you're the one who puts his own fabrications first rather than the people you were responding to, especially when you compare it to Dragon Quest which has done nothing of the sort, instead remaining traditional through and through, and with great success on the least technologically advanced platform of this generation. Again, unless Capcom plan some Dragon's Dogma type REIMAGINING of the series, which is both risky and more of a complete change rather than an evolution, I see nothing that can't work on 3DS without looking outdated on NGP.

Acosta

Alextended said:
Is that a response to me? Care to explain why you believe this? How would MH be so outdated, too outdated for your, or rather, the fanbase's liking, if it was Tri-level geometry with higher resolution textures and more modern shader effects to allow things like normal mapping, reflections and dynamic shadows from torches and explosions? Shader effects that they could easily improve on an NGP up port (if deemed necessary), alongside the display resolution and frame rate? How would that be so bad and outdated compared to the LP2 and Uncharted tech demos, both of which had as obvious compromises as the RE titles do on 3DS compared to the current home console titles, despite the fact the NGP appears, on paper, quite a bit more powerful?

I didn't even read your post, so no. It was in general.

In any case, you are not getting the point, what Monster Hunter needs is not "shaders", "resolution" or any visual spark. What it needs it´s memory.

Alexios

So what, if it's on NGP it will not have all those things I mentioned, instead they'll only use the extra memory for whatever is your personal idea of evolution for the series while keeping the PSP visual fidelity? More memory for what? More enemies on screen? Less segmented levels? A completely new gameplay style rather than an actual sequel? A lot of this is gameplay design choices, not hardware limitations. You know, like Lost Planet on PS360 also had segmented areas for example, that doesn't mean the systems couldn't handle a more seamless experience like say, RE5. They already seem content with wasting the little memory they have on PSP and Wii for things like useless gesture animations rather than show they need more of it to add whatever features you want. Nothing tells us they want to do core changes that rely on newer technology. They could do that, or they could maintain this unique flavor through the ages, like Dragon Quest has. Or they could do both, with different series, which could be the use for Dragon's Dogma.

Laguna

Banned
Acosta said:
Your assumption that Sony can't reach an agreement with Capcom is naive at best.

Your idea that someway, they will release a multi version when NGP is much more potent than 3DS is showing a severe lack of experience of the series, because is condemning it to the same limitations it has faced from PS2 times. Maybe some of you have only played on Wii, but some of us has been playing since the first iteration and the series really need to move on the technology side (and don't give me the crap of sales, the change it needs is not going to cut the sales potential or its virtues, but empower them.)

The discussion about Monster Hunter in every Media Create thread is tired and getting into "Dragon Quest can't be released on Wii levels!". For god's sake, let Capcom decide what they want to do and then discuss about it, not about your own fabrications.

Keep in mind that like 3DS also PSP2 has to built up its userbase from scratch first.

Alextended said:
I think you have it the wrong way around. It's the portable versions that are mere enhanced ports rather than new entries, despite selling there the most.

Maybe I wasn't clear. The portable mainline versions are the only versions that really matter. Yes they are ports, but they are much more important than the actual mainline versions. So really, we have Monster Hunter on the Wii (but not that important) and PSP (very important). All the other platforms don't really matter, they get spin-offs that sell very little. It's like saying Pokemon is on multiple platforms. Well, technically it is, but it's really only on the DS.

I think the best course of action is this: MHP3G on the PSP in a year, MHP4 on the NGP some time in the future. I suspect the PSP crowd and the NGP crowd will overlap better than the 3DS crowd.

Alexios

vicissitudes said:
I suspect the PSP crowd and the NGP crowd will overlap better than the 3DS crowd.
I think it's more of a Monster Hunter crowd that will go wherever the experience is (ie, not Wii because it's not portable) since they will need a new system anyway.

Acosta

Alextended said:
So what, if it's on NGP it will not have all those things I mentioned, instead they'll only use the memory for whatever is your personal idea of evolution for the series? More memory for what? More enemies on screen? Less segmented levels? They already seem content with wasting memory on things like gesture animations rather than show they need more of it to add whatever features you have in mind.

Relax.

Monster Hunter was built around the limitations of PS2 and keeps being that way. Is it enjoyable? very, it´s wasting its potential? absolutely. If you want the series to feel like every iteration so far, with extra sparks and "shaders" be my guest.

I don't. And it doesn't change the fact that nobody here knows the fate of the series, so why discussing it in every single thread? Sure, it´s interesting for speculatios, but it´s getting tired already, we have been discussing about imaginary 3DS Monster Hunter since 3DS announcement, for me it´s time to let it rest and wait an actual announcement.

RpgN

jling84 said:
It does if it's going to be a Wii Sports. Wii Sports sold the Wii, Pilotwings is not even selling itself. Up until the release of Wii Sports, neither you nor I, your grandma, or mom had ever seen a game like that.

I'm thinking of it this way: Both games are easy to get into, fun and light on content but very addictive. And most importantly, Pilotwings displays the 3D technology the best from the games we have at the moment. It's a great showcase for getting people into 3D.

Also, I don't think Wii sports would have managed on its own either honestly, it's the best when bundled. But Wii sports is an easier concept for casual people, so it has that as an advantage. Pilotwings is also pretty easy to get into though. I know I might have bought a 3DS if Pilotwings came bundled with it :/

Alexios

Acosta said:
it´s wasting its potential? absolutely. If you want the series to feel like every iteration so far, with extra sparks and "shaders" be my guest.
This is an opinion, not a fact. When did I say, or show, that I discuss what I want to see? What I do want is for home consoles and online play to become the series' focus, but that obviously isn't likely given its portable success and so I have not proposed it as a sensible plan for Capcom to want to follow. If everyone discussed what they want we'd be talking about worldwide appeal and lock on cameras and what not all over again, and then maybe you'd have some actual evidence for your ridiculous "you don't get the series" claims. Instead all you've done is say people are wrong and ignorant and you think so and so and so it is so but hey let's not discuss it, Capcom will decide. Ok then. Ideas and design bring changes, not necessarily new hardware. DQIX changed things for the series and did it on the least capable platform. Hell, initially it would be even more different (action RPG) but fan pressure made them change mind. Nothing shows MH's case is or should be or will be different. Maybe your desires will align with Capcom's, maybe they won't, but that doesn't mean anyone who thinks things can also go very differently is somehow more ignorant of the subject at hand or whatever else you like to think.

Noshino

I wanted to make a thread for it, but since this discussion has basically become a Monster Hunter thread, I might as well.

Do you guys think that Capcom could follow the path of Pokemon and release different versions of the same Monster Hunter titles? do you think that the market would accept it as well as they have the portable Pokemon games?

wrowa said:
The Wii sold well due to WiiSports, the DS didn't start selling until Nintendogs and Brain Training. Saying that Nintendo's latest platforms didn't sell based on actual content is quite simply wrong.

imo the question is whether the sales were based on quality content, or on content that showcased the special abilities (advantages, gimmicks, w/e you want to call it) of the consoles?

Laguna said:
Keep in mind that like 3DS also PSP2 has to built up its userbase from scratch first.

Yeah but unlike the 3DS Capcom can bring it out for NGP \PSP and let them play together.
Which i feel is best thing to do , bring the upgrade out with few things for NGP while still letting the PSP users play with NGP user.
After 2 years bring new a one on NGP since it already has fan base from the upgrade port.

Noshino said:
I wanted to make a thread for it, but since this discussion has basically become a Monster Hunter thread, I might as well.

Do you guys think that Capcom could follow the path of Pokemon and release different versions of the same Monster Hunter titles? do you think that the market would accept it as well as they have the portable Pokemon games?
Desnecessary.

I say test both platforms and then pick the one that is selling more copies of your game (duh).

Noshino

Sammy Samusu said:
Desnecessary.

I say test both platforms and then pick the one that is selling more copies of your game (duh).

I wasn't talking about different platforms though.

What about MH A and B both on say, PSP. Do you think it the games are able to adapt to such system? do you think it would further increase the MH userbase?

Takao

Banned
Noshino said:

What about MH A and B both on say, PSP. Do you think it the games are able to adapt to such system? do you think it would further increase the MH userbase?

They already do that with the G versions a year later. G versions tend to sell almost as well as the first release.

Kyoufu

Noshino said:

There is nothing to trade in the games between players, why make A and B version SKUs?

Delio

I'd really like the 3DS to get a MH game but if the "smart" thing to do is just move to the NGP then ah well.

Ratrat

Kyoufu said:
There is nothing to trade in the games between players, why make A and B version SKUs?
you can trade garbage and poop. Would it really be so horrible for capcom to allow you to trade rare materials and send money? :(

Delio said:
I'd really like the 3DS to get a MH game but if the "smart" thing to do is just move to the NGP then ah well.

Yup, PSP/NGP version late 2011 and NGP only version in 2012/13 once the userbase moves over. It makes sense because of the dual analogues, no stupid claw hand.

Xiaoki

Interfectum said:
They blame marketing. I blame apathy towards 3D.
Nintendo blamed the earthquake/tsunami.

I would imagine Capcom atleast porting the inevitable MHP3G to 3DS to test the market.

Ratrat said:
Capcom should also consider lock-on for the 3ds game. Would solve all the camera control worries. :p
... bye.

Don't worry, I believe Monster Hunter 3DS is being developed with 3DS in mind, so maybe we won't need a second analog anyway.

Kintaco

Here's hoping for a 3DS price drop sooner rather than later. I thought it was cocky of Nintendo to release it at $250.

Acosta

Alextended said:
This is an opinion, not a fact. When did I say, or show, that I discuss what I want to see? What I do want is for home consoles and online play to become the series' focus, but that obviously isn't likely given its portable success and so I have not proposed it as a sensible plan for Capcom to want to follow. If everyone discussed what they want we'd be talking about worldwide appeal and lock on cameras and what not all over again, and then maybe you'd have some actual evidence for your ridiculous "you don't get the series" claims. Instead all you've done is say people are wrong and ignorant and you think so and so and so it is so but hey let's not discuss it, Capcom will decide. Ok then. Ideas and design bring changes, not necessarily new hardware. DQIX changed things for the series and did it on the least capable platform. Hell, initially it would be even more different (action RPG) but fan pressure made them change mind. Nothing shows MH's case is or should be or will be different. Maybe your desires will align with Capcom's, maybe they won't, but that doesn't mean anyone who thinks things can also go very differently is somehow more ignorant of the subject at hand or whatever else you like to think.

Do you really expect I read that?

Since you are experimenting some kind of caffeine rush, let me tell you in a single sentence the only point of mine worth considering:

Stop talking already about the sales potential of a game that doesn't exist.

Really, it´s beating an (imaginary) dead horse. Could I bring up this debate? What the main participants of the thread think? Chris? Duckroll?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wow at PSP

I won't be surprised is the PS3 overtakes 3DS the following weeks.

Alexios

Acosta said:
Stop talking already about the sales potential of a game that doesn't exist.
What specific game that doesn't exist did I discuss? I discussed the possible future of a series, which may not have happened yet, but will happen, one way or another, as it's not likely to be discontinued. People discuss the future of Zelda, Metroid, or whatever other series all the time, how is it suddenly wrong to do such? Did you really join a forum just to tell people to shut up? Are you really telling me I'm off topic or beating dead horses or whatever else even though you discussed Monster Hunter all the same, so you obviously wanted your opinion about it heard as well as to tell others they don't "get it" before deciding, for yourself, that the subject is closed? All of the above?

I didn't expect you to do anything. Though, if you didn't even want to read it, perhaps you should ignore it instead of quote and respond to something you haven't read. Some people were discussing a subject, you added your 2 cents, it was your choice. Your expectation for people to not respond to those statements (which included calling others ignorant and implying you know better rather than that you merely disagree or that you have different theories and expectations for such and such reasons), and instead just accept them and drop the subject is what's absurd (this is a forum, for discussion), not that people discussed a franchise's future after being reminded of its success by this thread. If you really want people to stop discussing it then I think the best course of action is to discuss what you do want and ignore everything else instead of fuel what you don't want. Maybe I'm crazy. And yep, keep telling others to relax, or that they had too much caffeine, or whatever you feel like in attempts to put them down as too emotionally invested or whatever else you can think of while not even reading or responding to what they're actually saying. That's always fun and so mature and awesome, right?

Cromat

What was Nintendo thinking when it released Pokemon Black and White for the DS...
It could have been the must have 3DS title. I know main Pokemon were never launch titles (far from it usually), but it seems odd that they chose to make it a DS game when a successor is just around the corner/coming out almost the same time (in the US).

I think the game itself would have benefited from being on a new system too. It's the first mainline Pokemon game not to be on a new system. And it's also the most similar to the installment before it (it's still good though). Seems like a huge missed opportunity. Pokemon is one game that could push a $250 handheld. And it could have had 3D, Stadium-like battles :(. I can't believe they're actually boasting about having animated sprites in 2011.

They should hurry up with Gray, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's also for DS (Gamefreaks are notoriously lazy in my opinion).

Top Bottom