• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2011 (Apr 18 - Apr 24)

Acosta

Cromat said:
What was Nintendo thinking when it released Pokemon Black and White for the DS...
It could have been the must have 3DS title. I know main Pokemon were never launch titles (far from it usually), but it seems odd that they chose to make it a DS game when a successor is just around the corner/coming out almost the same time (in the US).

Wild guess: we have a gigantic userbase of DS that expect a proper new Pokemon game for it?

Do you really think the new Pokemon would have moved like it did being a launch title for a 250 $ machine? I don't see it. Pokemon are games for established and accessible machines. I'm sure it´s more profitable for Nintendo that way.

Cromat

Acosta said:
Wild guess: we have a gigantic userbase of DS that expect a proper new Pokemon game for it?

Do you really think the new Pokemon would have moved like it did being a launch title for a 250 $ machine? I don't see it. Pokemon are games for established and accessible machines. I'm sure it´s more profitable for Nintendo that way.

Sure but having 3DS have an install base of it's own is also profitable for Nintendo. Right now it's stagnating because they released a huge game for it's predecessor and left it with no big titles. Pokemon has such legs that it will eventually reach 2.5 million on 3DS too. Besides, I personally think that the series itself suffered from staying on the DS. It has so much potential but they're too lazy to do something about because people buy their lazy efforts just as much. I still think that they sent 3DS to die the way they did. It's expensive and has no big game in sight. OoT won't sell much, take my word. Won't break half million units LTD.

Madao

Cromat said:
What was Nintendo thinking when it released Pokemon Black and White for the DS...
It could have been the must have 3DS title. I know main Pokemon were never launch titles (far from it usually), but it seems odd that they chose to make it a DS game when a successor is just around the corner/coming out almost the same time (in the US).

I think the game itself would have benefited from being on a new system too. It's the first mainline Pokemon game not to be on a new system. And it's also the most similar to the installment before it (it's still good though). Seems like a huge missed opportunity. Pokemon is one game that could push a $250 handheld. And it could have had 3D, Stadium-like battles :(. I can't believe they're actually boasting about having animated sprites in 2011.

They should hurry up with Gray, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's also for DS (Gamefreaks are notoriously lazy in my opinion).

did you forget about Pokemon Gold/Silver?
those were GB games with GBC enhancements.

Lesiroth

Alextended said:
I think you have it the wrong way around. It's the portable versions that are mere enhanced ports rather than new entries, despite selling there the most.
You're confusing effort put in the ports with their importance.
MHP3 was not a mere port, it had a new setting, a bunch of new monsters too, and some new felyne stuff.

Would an NGP playing a PSP game be able to play on wireless multiplayer with original PSP systems? If that's the case, I don't see any reason to move the series away then. Release MHP3G for PSP, add some slight improvements when running on NGP (ala Gold/Silver) Fanbase will smoothly and gradually move on to NGP that way I think.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lesiroth said:
You're confusing effort put in the ports with their importance.
I was commenting on calling the other versions "spin offs". Obviously the PS2 versions aren't spin offs, since it's where the series originated, neither is a game with 3 in the title that adds the most substantial new features to the series since the PS2 games... Frontier could maybe count as one but then again it's also rather massive with pretty much all the content from the first few PS2/P games and a ton more content on top so it's more like MH DX than a spin off. Also, nobody really knows what profit Frontier and Tri brought from the subscriptions in Japan. Tri probably not too much but Frontier probably quite a lot by now.

Portable 3rd still looks like an enhanced port to me, just changed to be more suitable to portability (easier, the farm, felynes, etc) and with a few new things here and there. Most of the areas are from Tri, as are most of the monsters, with some older monsters too, and very few all new ones (but they couldn't port all from Tri either, no water see, so I guess they replaced them with new ones). And yeah the village is all new too, hardly a big deal. I think it's generally accepted the new monsters aren't even from the main team due to their art style but don't quote me on that (and do correct me if it has been debunked).

Wake me up in a few months time when the 3DS gets a game to play. I mean, they haven't even released the damn web browser and online store. Premature delivery.

I've got streetfighter 4 and samurai warriors, both of which are half arsed efforts not worth my time. Static background in streetfighter and ps2 graphics in samurai warrior. Yuck. I've spent more time on neogaf than the 3DS.

The 3DS is an awesome little system, but no games = only the junkies like me bought one on release. the normal people will buy it when they release a game for it.

donny2112

ULTROS! said:
I won't be surprised is the PS3 overtakes 3DS the following weeks.

If two systems are falling, but one's falling faster, is the slower falling system considered to "overtake" the faster falling system?

Serious question. Always envisioned "overtaking" as growing faster (gaining speed) instead of shrinking slower (not hitting the brakes as hard).

Blablurn

some talk here reminds me of the "wait for the next big ps3 game" thing some years ago. of course nintendo titles like mario or pokemon will still sell like hot cakes but i'm really looking forward how 3rd party titles will sell...

Igor Antunov said:
I've got streetfighter 4 and samurai warriors, both of which are half arsed efforts not worth my time. Static background in streetfighter

I didn't buy SSF4:3D cuz i already have the PS3 version, but how is static backgrounds a deal breaker in a fighting game. It's easily the best game in the launch lineup.

Bizzyb

Banned
Cromat said:

Well, it was cheaper and quicker. Besides they wanted to get as much out of DS as they could before moving onto 3DS and releasing B&W for DS was the perfect vehicle to drive up that "last hurrah" of sales.

Blablurn said:
some talk here reminds me of the "wait for the next big ps3 game" thing some years ago. of course nintendo titles like mario or pokemon will still sell like hot cakes but i'm really looking forward how 3rd party titles will sell...

Well the ps3 upon release was in a very poor state, and now its picking up worldwide thanks to steady stream of good games.

Same with DS.

The 3DS was just released with a mediocre lineup of ports and we know huge titles are coming this very year.

Of course they will influence sales.

Bizzyb

Banned
Igor Antunov said:
Wake me up in a few months time when the 3DS gets a game to play. I mean, they haven't even released the damn web browser and online store. Premature delivery.

I've got streetfighter 4 and samurai warriors, both of which are half arsed efforts not worth my time. Static background in streetfighter and ps2 graphics in samurai warrior. Yuck. I've spent more time on neogaf than the 3DS.

The 3DS is an awesome little system, but no games = only the junkies like me bought one on release. the normal people will buy it when they release a game for it.

What's with the juniors today? were the stupid pills being handed out today?

3DS has quite a few games that are worth the play. Saying it has no games is just stupid.

Ghost Recon
Rayman
Lego Star Wars
Pilot Wings
Super Monkey Ball
Ridge Racer
SSFIV

All are fun and legit games to play. Who cares if SSFIV has static backgrounds? How does that break the experience if the models look and move fluidly?

Cromat

uchihasasuke said:
did you forget about Pokemon Gold/Silver?
those were GB games with GBC enhancements.

They were compatible with the original Gameboy but I think it's better to regard them as GBC games. The two systems were just very similar. Black and White were announced after 3DS was announced. The thread about their announcement was full of speculation that it would be for 3DS even though it clearly said DS. I still think it's an odd and pretty shortsighted decision to put them on DS.

zomgbbqftw said:
Yup, PSP/NGP version late 2011 and NGP only version in 2012/13 once the userbase moves over. It makes sense because of the dual analogues, no stupid claw hand.
Also MH4 for Cafe. Can probably share some assets/scale with the NGP release and Cafe could actually deliver local co-op that's not an arena. Plus they' get Nintendo's western support to continue growing the franchise outside Japan.

Bizzyb said:
What's with the juniors today? were the stupid pills being handed out today?

3DS has quite a few games that are worth the play. Saying it has no games is just stupid.

All are fun and legit games to play. Who cares if SSFIV has static backgrounds? How does that break the experience if the models look and move fluidly?

Ghost Recon - niche title and of questionable quality
Rayman -port, Played it centuries ago
Lego Star Wars - I'm over lego series and I'm sure most people are. Played it millenia ago. Crap
Pilot Wings -Shallow, n64 one is better.
Super Monkey Ball -Crap, controls broken.
Ridge Racer - the one on PSP looks better, sega saturn graphics make my eyes bleed.
SSFIV-xbox360 version is far better and can be had for $18 in the bargain bin.

Having said all that, I'm really intrigued by ridge racer. Should I buy it? Does it have lots of content? I only played it in the shops but the $70 pricetag makes my head throb.

And why are the graphics such ass?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
UberTag said:
Nintendo got used to having their innovation gimmicks sell on the basis of a gimmick and not based on actual content delivery.

It concerns me that their perception was that "gee whiz 3D without glasses" was enough of a sales hook to balloon 3DS sales until their franchise pillar titles release. The Wii was an exception to the rule - not the new Nintendo rule. Clearly they didn't realize that.

I say this as a 3DS owner - albeit one that is spending most of his time on it playing Pokemon Black & White.
You've really missed the mark on what made the DS and Wii successful. The fact is that the Wii and DS both sold because of a combination of both interesting hardware and software. Some would argue the 3DS has neither at this point.

There's really no game that makes the average person go "Oh! This is why I need this".

People need only look at Famitsu to see why the 3DS isn't selling.

The PSP is getting all the software and will be getting most of 3rd party games for the remainder of 2011. Nintendo can cater to them all they want, but third parties are going to remain on PSP as long as possible for cost reasons. It's at the height of its popularity in Japan, and until the 3DS can convince people otherwise (ie a big franchise game from Nintendo or a massive IP non-port from third parties), it will exceed the 3DS in sales.

Right now, PSP and PS3 releases are constant, while Wii and 3DS are less so. That results in the sales they have today.

Now when NGP launches, I suspect there will be a moment of chaos when developers think their next move:
1) remain on PSP and keep costs low while risking sales potential in the future
2) move to the NGP, where costs are the highest, but remains on Sony handhelds
3) switch to 3DS, which would have less cost than NGP but could confuse consumers (and the "Nintendo-only" fable)

I somehow suspect 1-to-2 to happen, unless Nintendo caters to them specifically, but we won't know until then.

Somnid

Fantastical said:
You've really missed the mark on what made the DS and Wii successful. The fact is that the Wii and DS both sold because of a combination of both interesting hardware and software. Some would argue the 3DS has neither at this point.

There's really no game that makes the average person go "Oh! This is why I need this".

Actually, the hardware is highly interesting (nothing else quite like it) and while the boxed software leave something to be desired the built-in software is crazy. Iwata was correct at the IR meeting that they haven't done enough to show that. No store demo unit is going to capture Face Raiders or the addictive nature of Street Pass Quest and because it's built-in most people don't consider it.

They need a lot more that sort of stuff and the ability to highlight that to consumers. They might have to box it just to get attention though...

Bizzyb said:
Man, I was just contemplating this the other day.
Why is it that Nintendo consoles always seem to just run out of steam and fall flat at their end of life?

PSX and PS2 continued going (relatively) strong into their heydays. Sony was almost forced to pull support.

Yet N64, Gamecube and now Wii; they all start off relatively well, a few bumps here and there and then just....nothing. Support drops like a rock from both Nintendo and 3rd parties. Sure there's always a swan song or two but it's a very stark contrast to how Sony's systems go out

Because they don't have much 3rd party support. Nintendo needs to move to new consoles ASAP, and they don't have the manpower to support the older consoles anymore. I mean, the only upcoming DS game from Nintendo is Kirby I think.

The DS had good 3rd party support, but developers seem to have moved to PSP rather than continue making DS games. At least I noticed after 3DS was revealed that PSP new game announcements started outpacing DS (or 3DS) ones significantly.

donny2112

Allan Holdsworth said:
At least I noticed after 3DS was revealed that PSP new game announcements started outpacing DS (or 3DS) ones significantly.

We were discussing the lack of DS releases some months before the 3DS reveal. Publishers probably knew about it sooner, which might have been why there were less releases, though.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Somnid said:
Actually, the hardware is highly interesting (nothing else quite like it) and while the boxed software leave something to be desired the built-in software is crazy. Iwata was correct at the IR meeting that they haven't done enough to show that. No store demo unit is going to capture Face Raiders or the addictive nature of Street Pass Quest and because it's built-in most people don't consider it.

They need a lot more that sort of stuff and the ability to highlight that to consumers. They might have to box it just to get attention though...
While there is nothing else quite like it, do consumers even want a 3D device like this? Or 3D period? I'm not sure 3D without glasses (in a device that fits into your hand) is as exciting to the world as it is to NeoGAF. Especially with a $250 price tag.

I agree that the built in software is great, but Nintendo hasn't done a good enough job getting the word out on that or maybe not enough people are showing their family members Face Raiders.

To be clear, I think that software is the huge problem here, but the hardware itself is also a problem in my opinion. It's too similar to the DS, costs a lot, and has a feature that isn't as interesting as past concepts.

Bottom line: Release Super Mario 3DS yesterday.

Cipherr

cw_sasuke said:
So you think the 3ds won't sell more than 4 million units ltd ? You do realize that a Nintendo handheld will eventually get a pokemon main title right ?

Its best to get the nonsense and hyperbole out now early in the 3ds life while its in slow mode. We all know where the shit is headed in due time.

Djin1979

I think, developing games for NGP games won't cost so much, the devs will probably share the assets between the X360, PS3, Wii II, NGP and PC versions... At least for the multi-platform games, first party studios will take care of the costly and exclusive titles.

Mrbob

TheUnknownForce said:
People need only look at Famitsu to see why the 3DS isn't selling.

The PSP is getting all the software and will be getting most of 3rd party games for the remainder of 2011. Nintendo can cater to them all they want, but third parties are going to remain on PSP as long as possible for cost reasons. It's at the height of its popularity in Japan, and until the 3DS can convince people otherwise (ie a big franchise game from Nintendo or a massive IP non-port from third parties), it will exceed the 3DS in sales.

Right now, PSP and PS3 releases are constant, while Wii and 3DS are less so. That results in the sales they have today.

Now when NGP launches, I suspect there will be a moment of chaos when developers think their next move:
1) remain on PSP and keep costs low while risking sales potential in the future
2) move to the NGP, where costs are the highest, but remains on Sony handhelds
3) switch to 3DS, which would have less cost than NGP but could confuse consumers (and the "Nintendo-only" fable)

I somehow suspect 1-to-2 to happen, unless Nintendo caters to them specifically, but we won't know until then.

I think we'll get a better grasp of the PSP2 situation at E3. Publishers aren't waiting for the system to launch to make their next move. They have to be doing it right now (before now really) to get prepared for the launch of the system later this year/early next year.

devilhawk

Igor Antunov said:

Shit. Just the 3DS?

The_Darkest_Red said:
For visualization purposes. (Plus, who doesn't like pretty charts?)

inty4x.jpg

Nintendo teaches us limits!

Personally, Im glad to see it. I will be bitter about the 3DS until they sell it at a rational price.

Glass Joe

The price is too high and there's no games. The 3D feature is hard to convey in ads, it's one of those things you have to see to understand. Over-shipping the hardware instead of under-shipping makes it seem less desirable too. But really the included software doesn't have that "must have" appeal. Crap, the features still aren't even done (web browser, e-shop).

If they refuse to drop the price, then they're gonna have to put something compelling in the next software update. Excitebike is better than nothing, but that's not going to get casuals interested. Something like a 3D Brain Age in the OS maybe?

Alextended said:
Bold. Outside first party deals, I'd think they'd make an NGP/3DS version rather than try to milk PSP further, if they actually invested in a sequel that may take a year or more to develop, meaning a launch after the NGP. Assuming they want to keep the same formula (rather than try to make some crazy seamless open world thing like Dragon's Dogma, which could turn fans off) I don't think the difference in power between NGP and 3DS is prohibiting for multiplatform titles that look great on both systems, with 3D on 3DS and higher resolution and frame rate on NGP. The (great) level of detail in the Wii game with higher resolution textures, a few normal maps and other fancy technologies on top (dynamic shadows for example rather than just tear drops, and maybe less segmented areas and what not) would look next gen on the small screens.

This makes no sense to me. I highly doubt there will be any cross-platform play from either 3DS or NGP MHPs, so they'd effectively be halving their user bases. 1 million on NGP, 1 million on NGP, then it would pretty much stagnate form there. I'd say the best thing they could do(and what it seems like they are doing) is to release MHP3G on PSP alognside the launch of NGP with an enhanced port. A lot of the people will migrate over to the NGP one, then they start working on a ground-up MHP4 exclusive to NGP to get the remaining stragglers to jump ship. Then, maybe they feed 3DS a bone with a downport or something, so as not to cause a stir while migrating the userbase over.

Alexios

BladeoftheImmortal said:
so they'd effectively be halving their user bases.
This makes no sense to me. How? Friends would get it on the same platform, and have no issues whatsoever. Non friends would get it on whatever platform they prefer or already own, and chances are they'd find lots of people to play with regardless of version. MonHun gatherings would have 3DS and NGP sides so there's no confusion. How is this "halved userbase" affecting anything whatsoever? The random stranger at the subway won't have the same version as me and we can't play and that's a big deal how, if the dude next to him is likely to have my version? And how will they "stangate" from there, what's the reason people wouldn't buy and promote sequels like they have done so far?

Even if you mean in terms of online play, which isn't the series' focus so far, how come other multiplatform games do just fine then? Hell, MHTri on Wii has like 2000 people online after all this time in region locked EU servers alone which is plenty and makes it very easy to find people to play with on any rank (surprisingly enough). The portable userbase would have to get much much much much less than "half" to really affect anyone. Oh and they'd have to disappear, not just be on another platform.

Not to mention that Capcom could, if they wanted, use their own online servers (so they can charge fees again in Japan) and have all versions connect to the same servers with cross platform play. FFXI got close enough to that to make it seem possible... If PC to console crossplatform is possible then so is console to console and unless the other company's brand appears in-game, when it has no reason to, I doubt they can be legally forbidden from doing this, if they see a reason to do it at all.

As for your suggestion for an enhanced port to NGP then a full sequel to NGP, why not an enhanced port to 3DS then a sequel to 3DS? Both cases will require a similar effort so other than keeping the same brand, which makes no difference to a MonHun fan since they will need a new system anyway, why not just a sequel on both NGP and 3DS, then an enhanced G expansion as usual to maximise sales down the road (since they're likely to suffer from the lack of an install base initially)? And if one platform does underperform, they could just focus on the other for the expansion and future sequels. The fans, rather than a guestimate, will have spoken in that case. I don't see a compelling reason to not even try this. The underperforming platform could be a surprise, even. But yeah I really don't see why people act like it can only be a success on Sony portables when it pretty much became a success despite the platform it was on, which was the only platform it could be ported to at the time, helping revive it.

A late downport makes less sense since everyone who wanted the game would have already chosen the platform with it on it by then and the people who bought it for that platform would have trouble finding others to play with so it wouldn't easily cultivate an audience there, like it can do if it's launched simultaneously and fully featured.

Every non 1st party franchise under the sun has migrated to one or more platforms when the time was right, and there's been a continued trend for multiplatform releases recently, from Capcom as well as others, why is Monster Hunter not allowed to even try? Even if it somehow goes so wrong (which I still doubt would affect the overall performance of the title), it's not something they can't fix with the next G release or the next sequel. What better time to try this than a new generation of systems?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Somnid said:

In the case of Street Pass Quest, Nintendo literally didn't mention it prior to launch or in any advertising. "Buy our magic box and see what you get!" might work for those $1.00 Surprise candy bags, but it doesn't work for an entertainment device.

But this is typical of Nintendo. With the exception of Brawl, every single promotional thing they've done this generation in terms of hardware and software has been based on the idea that the best way to promote something is to tell people what the big idea is and totally ignore and refuse to provide any kind of details.

I guess the standard response is "But it's more surprising this way!" and that works very well when tons of people buy your shit and get excited about the surprise, but if people don't buy it, they'll never become aware that there was a surprise to begin with.

Stumpokapow said:
In the case of Street Pass Quest, Nintendo literally didn't mention it prior to launch or in any advertising. "Buy our magic box and see what you get!" might work for those $1.00 Surprise candy bags, but it doesn't work for an entertainment device.

But this is typical of Nintendo. With the exception of Brawl, every single promotional thing they've done this generation in terms of hardware and software has been based on the idea that the best way to promote something is to tell people what the big idea is and totally ignore and refuse to provide any kind of details.

I guess the standard response is "But it's more surprising this way!" and that works very well when tons of people buy your shit and get excited about the surprise, but if people don't buy it, they'll never become aware that there was a surprise to begin with.
This puzzled me given that "Wii Sports included" was right on the front of the box. At the very least they should have put it there. I'm not sure what the thought pattern was.

Alextended said:
This makes no sense to me. How? Friends would get it on the same platform, and have no issues whatsoever. Non friends would get it on whatever platform they prefer or already own, and chances are they'd find lots of people to play with regardless of version.

Two of my friends buy it on 3DS, two of my friends buy it on NGP, fuck it, i don't want it.

Bizzyb said:
Why is it that Nintendo consoles always seem to just run out of steam and fall flat at their end of life?

PSX and PS2 continued going (relatively) strong into their heydays. Sony was almost forced to pull support.

Yet N64, Gamecube and now Wii; they all start off relatively well, a few bumps here and there and then just....nothing. Support drops like a rock from both Nintendo and 3rd parties. Sure there's always a swan song or two but it's a very stark contrast to how Sony's systems go out
It's fair to ask the question of Wii, but the answer with N64 and GameCube is obvious: they were far, far, far from being as successful as the market leader, and interest died out more quickly.

Alexios

BladeoftheImmortal said:
Two of my friends buy it on 3DS, two of my friends buy it on NGP, fuck it, i don't want it.
So having three friend action no matter what version you buy is bad? Also, if they're friends, again, why wouldn't they decide what version to get together and avoid issues? If those friends had already bought a 3DS for other titles and that is why they got the 3DS release, then you probably wouldn't play with them even if MonHun was never released there so you're really unaffected anyway (assuming you want the NGP release). Not to mention those who didn't yet have a system could speak with them first anyway.

Edit: well, what Vinci said, in a nutshell.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Vinci said:
You and your friends don't communicate very well.

Even if they do, it's still a possibility.

Maybe Jerry, John, Jack, and I all want to buy it and we all have it on both consoles. Jerry wants to buy it on NGP because most of his friends besides us are on NGP, John wants to buy it on 3DS because most of his friends besides us are on 3DS, Jack and I have no input besides it.

And then maybe it gets more complicated because maybe your friends are mostly on one platform but the random game audience is mostly on the other platform and you value both things.

It's been rare that I haven't bought a game because of this kind of thing and I'm not big on multiplayer to begin with, but certainly if I thought my day one experience was going to be compromised because of platform issues, I'd wait for a cheap/used copy of a game. That I would have otherwise paid more for.

Alexios

Stumpokapow said:
It's been rare that I haven't bought a game because of this kind of thing and I'm not big on multiplayer to begin with, but certainly if I thought my day one experience was going to be compromised because of platform issues, I'd wait for a cheap/used copy of a game. That I would have otherwise paid more for.
There are some people big on multiplayer who buy more versions of the games so that they play with all their friends across all platforms too (going by threads like MvC3 for example) but I wouldn't say that they may double their sales if they do this, it's rare, and people like you may counter people like that equally for all I know.

Anyway, with your example it sounds like they will have plenty friends to play with no matter the version they buy. Maybe not among this specific group of friends, but still among friends, friends they apparently chose over this named group. Anyway there's no better time to try it than a generation switch.

Magicpaint said:
What was the original Playstation's hardware LTD in Japan? Has the PSP passed it yet?
Media Create
PS1: 18.900.000
PSP: 17.402.186 (as of 4/24)
Famitsu
PS1: 18.854.258
PSP: 16.977.404 (as of 4/17)

Sony PS1 shipments to Asia were 21.59m which is a recurrent figure but it includes Asian countries and regions like South Korea, on top of being cumulative production shipments vs trackers sales estimates.

Every thread we get another discussion about MonHun 3DS. A rumor started by some unknown **********-esque website. If it were really happening we would have recieved some sort of hint about it by now.

3DS has yet to prove it can sell software, let alone 3rd party software. I doubt Capcom is going to jump ship, or even see a port being worth their time at this point

Truth101

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
Every thread we get another discussion about MonHun 3DS. A rumor started by some unknown **********-esque website. If it were really happening we would have recieved some sort of hint about it by now.

3DS has yet to prove it can sell software, let alone 3rd party software. I doubt Capcom is going to jump ship, or even see a port being worth their time at this point

How can a system sell software if no software worth buying is released for it, please tell me?

Alexios

The Abominable Snowman said:
People are discussing the future of a series. A future that is to happen, whether there are rumours or not. A MonHun sequel will appear on a "next" gen portable at some point.

They will have to jump ship from PSP soon enough, I doubt NGP will have proven itself better than 3DS by then but if it has I'm sure people's theories at the time will reflect that.

Prophane33

RurouniZel said:
The more I think about this, the more I find myself stunned at just how much Nintendo has managed to screw the pooch on this one. It went from hype hype hype to it's dead dead dead.

High price + not great games = not the way Nintendo needed to go. They should have delayed the system further. :/

This. The 3DS was launched way too early. They needed a solid library of 3rd and 1st party titles before they should have even thought of launching. As it is we have a repeat of the N64 situation, sans Mario 64 (a.k.a. a killer app). New games are few and far between and there is nothing there to differentiate it too much from the DS. However, the DS didn't exactly have a stellar line-up of games the first year either. At this time next year I expect the 3DS to be selling gang-busters and to at least have a few decent games.

Top Bottom