• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2015 (Apr 27 - May 2)

Disappointing #s for P&D Mario, but I think most of us saw that coming more recently... For what it's worth, it sounds to me like P&DZ promised a lot more than the Mario version? P&DZ = full RPG w/ P&D mechanics vs. P&D Mario = just Mario themed basically? I kind of wonder how a P&D Z2 type of game may have performed instead.

P&DZ = you paid 5,000yen for a Pokemon like rpg with combat system took from a F2P game

P&DSMB = you paid 4,000yen for a F2P game with Mario characters

which one is the worth?

StevieP

Banned
They should've delayed splatoon until the console NX in 2017 like they did with zelda, star fox, f-zero, metroid and star tropics. That way at least the developers could enjoy working on it. Similar to how Platinum didn't want to make Bayonetta 2 but we're unwillingly forced to against their will.

They should've delayed splatoon until the console NX in 2017 like they did with zelda, star fox, f-zero, metroid and star tropics. That way at least the developers could enjoy working on it. Similar to how Platinum didn't want to make Bayonetta 2 but we're unwillingly forced to against their will.

Are you a troll? Because you cant be fucking serious

Sure, but what's not debatable is that it was the sequel to a game that sold over 5m easily. Tropical Freeze flopped in every continent.

Everything about the game got better so really the only conclusion to draw is Wii U screwed Tropical Freeze.

and I know this is Nintendo fans celebrating sales |OT| so I'm sorry to disrupt your discussion. I just thought those numbers were ridiculously low for two big releases whereas PS4 barely had anything chart.

Wii U certainly didn't help, but I think a bigger problem was that sales were inflated for the Wii game since it was the first DKC game to be released in over a decade. The Wii game had a lot more hype than the "Same basic thing but a bit better" sequel did.

holy fuck Wii U

barely beating PS4 with one of it's hugest releases... ever? Nintendo made the right choice delaying Zelda to the next system. This thing is just a waste to make games for. I feel bad for developers who have to make games on it cuz of publisher/moneyhat reasons.

You must be an alien to believe Xenoblade is one of Wii U's biggest releases ever or is just trolling/in need of attention.

Tropical Freeze on Wii wouldn't set the charts on fire either.

Why not?

Accept it, kid, you won't play Bayo 2 on any other console outside of Wii U. Nintendo banked the project. Let it go.

StevieP

Banned
Whoosh. I thought it was obvious as a sarcastic take on impact's post when I mentioned moving star tropics to NX :p

hatchx

Banned
So you guys think developers at Nintendo like the Wii U and like making games for it? Some wishful thinking right there.

I'm willing to bet most of them can't wait for NX. Retro put out the best 2D platformer of all time and no one fucking played it.

Xenoblade and DKCR (and many, many other Nintendo games) get re-released for future systems. I don't think Monolith (or anyone) expected XCX to shatter Xenoblade's sales.

DKC:TF sold like 500k. It's not great, but hardly 'nobody'. You are better off using Wonderful 101 as an example.

Whoosh. I thought it was obvious as a sarcastic take on impact's post when I mentioned moving star tropics to NX :p

lol it was obvious to me. Surprised people jumped on it like that.

StevieP

Banned
This thread made my brain hurt Stevie.

Your post wasn't part of the migraine.

This is one baaaaaaaad Golden Week.

I guess that the traditional market catering in Japan isn't really news any more. More like a foreboding/foretelling of the rest of the world, really. There are other obviously more healthy gaming markets that aren't tracked here, serving as a nice pill in a banana if you want to take a bite ;)

Jigorath

Banned
Not great numbers for Xenoblade, but I guess that's about the best you can hope for on WiiU.

So this is Golden Week huh? How incredibly underwhelming. Will Square Enix hurry up with Final Fantasy XV already. Console gaming needs something here.

Platinum, Monolith, Retro, any great developer forced to make games no one will buy.

Obviously flops will happen on any platform, but with the Wii U it's a 100% chance your game is gonna flop without Zelda/Mario.

I think you're vastly overestimating the importance of sales here. Nintendo are the ones writing the checks. They enabled Kamiya to make the quirky super-hero game he wanted to make, and the rest of Platinum to make a sequel that Sega had declined them support for. Monolith Soft, a first party studio, seem happy where they are. They get the creative and financial freedom they didn't have at Square, and my impressions from Takahashi in interviews is that he's pretty much on the same philosophical wave-length as Iwata & Co. when it comes to game development. My assertion is that all of these things (and more) would likely be of greater matter than the numbers to the creative talent. Stellar sales of course doesn't hurt, but it's not like Nintendo are burying all the discs in the desert after the project is done. Their games get plenty of exposure world-wide, and sell in the hundreds of thousands.

Everything about the game got better so really the only conclusion to draw is Wii U screwed Tropical Freeze.

I'd argue it was Nintendo who screwed Tropical Freeze, because it was a terribly timed release.

and I know this is Nintendo fans celebrating sales |OT| so I'm sorry to disrupt your discussion. I just thought those numbers were ridiculously low for two big releases whereas PS4 barely had anything chart.

What is going on here lol.

So this is Golden Week huh? How incredibly underwhelming. Will Square Enix hurry up with Final Fantasy XV already. Console gaming needs something here.

It is not just console gaming, hardware numbers are very low all around. Even 3DS couldn't manage 30k

3DS - 25,948
Wii U - 22,898
PS4 - 19,782
PSV - 18,435
PS3 - 3,956
One - 341

I guess that the traditional market catering in Japan isn't really news any more. More like a foreboding/foretelling of the rest of the world, really. There are other obviously more healthy gaming markets that aren't tracked here, serving as a nice pill in a banana if you want to take a bite ;)
Hah!

Realities of the Japanese market.

No one likes dedicated gaming systems. :(

Arzehn

Extremely sad.

It was only, what, 4 or so Golden Weeks ago that the Media Create thread broke its record for posts? We're only on page two (on superior 100p/p setting). This thread won't make it past 4 pages :/

Thread was late, a lot of the discussion were had in the previous MC thread (which is 18 pages).

Asd202

Monolith Soft must be pissed about XenobladeX launching worse on Wii U than Xenoblade did on Wii. :p

Truth to be told both underperformed to the scale and budget. Nothing stops them from being great games though. It's really sad to see that such ambitious game can't reach at least 100k in the first week.

Those numbers are actually quite good for Wii U, Xenoblade X actually moved consoles which I certainly did not expect. Aren't bundles and digital sales not counted? I really couldn't see X under 100k if you included both the console bundle, which seemed to have actually bumped up the Wii U, and digital sales.

Those numbers are actually quite good for Wii U, Xenoblade X actually moved consoles which I certainly did not expect. Aren't bundles and digital sales not counted? I really couldn't see X under 100k if you included both the console bundle, which seemed to have actually bumped up the Wii U, and digital sales.
Digital sales are not counted, i dont know about bundles. I think that with digital sales is pretty close to 100k. I expected 70k, So for me looks really good.

bundles are included, digital is not

Even mobile is starting to hit saturation point. Japan's economy is just not exactly in its best shape.

Not to mention that population demographics are slowly but surely becoming a problem too. There is already sizable difference in amount of young adults and children compared to for example to year 2000. Like millions of people difference. This is the biggest problem for their future economic growth too.

Mr Swine

Banned
It's sad to see that Golden Week didn't boost hardware or software sales so much as I hoped it would do anymore. Now that N3DS sales are slowing down makes me wonder how Nintendo is going to "survive" 1.5 years with declining sales. With not so many Nintendo games coming out for the 3DS I guess they are ramping up NX software as much as possible

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
And as we know, XenoX performed at 50% digital!!!!!

!!!!!

Divide by the number of "!".

Divide also by the number of Xenoblade X sales itself.

The current problem in the Japanese landscape, IMHO, is not the older console which is nearing 19 millions, keep on selling software, and that recently entered its 5th year (I mean, it'd be nice if it were higher, but I think that's going to happen whenever a price cut happens), but how the other platforms have failed / are failing to catch the interest of the Japanese audience, they're not attractive enough, probably mainly due to their kind of games / the amount of games itself.

A link about that?

Just look up mobile game publishers reports. Publishers such GungHo, GREE, DENA revenues were down in 2014 compared to 2013.

The indutry as whole is likely still growing as new publishers like Mixi and Colopl continue to make sizable gains but growth rates are a lot lower than 2011-2013.

krizzx

I was expecting there to be so much more discussion here. I wonder why its so quiet.

Got to see things are looking great in Japan.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just look up mobile game publishers reports. Publishers such GungHo, GREE, DENA revenues were down in 2014 compared to 2013.

The indutry as whole is likely still growing as new publishers like Mixi and Colopl continue to make sizable gains but growth rates are a lot lower than 2011-2013.

Got it. Thanks for your answer, much appreciated.

Top Bottom