• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2017 (May 22 - May 28)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I always did think that if Nintendo were to pull out a Pokemon game for Switch now, the impact would be muted since the console is already out of stock and has a pretty impressive lineup for this year. It's just that I'm not really getting the point of Ultra Moon/Sun. I get that they are "dual-release 3rd versions", but they really didn't do a good job of showing what was different that would make people who bought Sun/Moon excited.

it's only going to get worse after e3 when nintendo mainly talks about 2017 games we know with a few 2018 game mentions. People are probably expecting to see 2020 games the way they're talking. Well, if KH3 gets a port, they'll get that specific wish. ;)

People need to realize that Nintendo aren't like Sony at E3.

I'll admit, I bought into the Stars on Switch hype. Mainly due to the accuracy of all other rumors. Gen 7 for Pokemon seems to be following the exact same pattern of Gen 5. We likely won't see a GF developed title on Switch until 2019. As this is the pattern they always follow.

Scum

it's only going to get worse after e3 when nintendo mainly talks about 2017 games we know with a few 2018 game mentions. People are probably expecting to see 2020 games the way they're talking. Well, if KH3 gets a port, they'll get that specific wish. ;)
It's been obvious for a long while now that many are only interested in the spectacle of these events and the notvthe actual content. I'm expecting "Nintendo doomed!" narratives after E3 and if the MH5 for PS4 turns out to be legit, which I think it will be.

jnWake

The other rumors were accurate?

Eurogamer very accurately leaked the Switch hardware. However, so did Laura Kate Dale.

It'd seem all insiders had contacts on a 3rd party (not hard to guess which one) that leaked the hardware and a particular piece of software (Rabbids). They probably heard rumblings on other matters like 1st party software, Switch price and release date, but most of those have proven to be fake (remember when Zelda was missing launch because of localization lol) with the exception of the more logical ones (like MK8D).

Oregano

It's been obvious for a long while now that many are only interested in the spectacle of these events and the notvthe actual content. I'm expecting "Nintendo doomed!" narratives after E3 and if the MH5 for PS4 turns out to be legit, which I think it will be.

I think you're in danger of completely dismissing it as a factor in actual success though. You have to be able to make people excited about your products. Nintendo nailed that with their initial Switch trailer and Sony nails that year in, year out which is why they've had so much success this generation. Nintendo continually disappointing their fanbase damages morale which damages the brand.

Vena

all of a sudden Switch's year one lineup is garbage

I need to stay out of those threads...

GAF has failed to predict the Switch since the January direct, we've been here before with predictable results. The Switch's first year vs. GAFs detached from reality expectations are a good example.

I like to use Oregano as a general barometer. He's a fairly accurate standard candle on these things.

That said decisions here regarding Pokemon are a bit perplexing, but I also suspect there's reason for it that in general eludes our view.

Mory Dunz

I think you're in danger of completely dismissing it as a factor in actual success though. You have to be able to make people excited about your products. Nintendo nailed that with their initial Switch trailer and Sony nails that year in, year out which is why they've had so much success this generation. Nintendo continually disappointing their fanbase damages morale which damages the brand.

I can't wait to see spiderman and GoW this year. ;)

to be fair, there is merit. Sony announced those games and has been using them in an ad since 2016. Those two games will probably come out in 2018, but will be used to sell PS4's for 2 years prior. And it seemingly works.

If Nintendo had target renders/gameplay for games 2-3 (or 5...) years out every year at e3, they'd be the kings of hype.

Like if Pokemon was annoucned for Switch for 2019 today. And every advertisement from now showed Pokemon for Switch for the next 2+ years.

personally, that'd annoy the eff ouf of me,( people got on Nintendo for XenoX and Zelda) but I can't say it doesn't work...so...shrug.

edit:
btw, the bolded is garbage :)

Oregano

GAF has failed to predict the Switch since the January direct, we've been here before with predictable results. The Switch's first year vs. GAFs detached from reality expectations are a good example.

I like to use Oregano as a general barometer. He's a fairly accurate standard candle on these things.

That said decisions here regarding Pokemon are a bit perplexing, but I also suspect there's reason for it that in general eludes our view.

:mad:

Also the reason is because Gamefreak are rubbish.

I can't wait to see spiderman and GoW this year. ;)

to be fair, there is merit. Sony announced those games and has been using them in an ad since 2016. Those two games will probably come out in 2018, but will be used to sell PS4's for 2 years prior. And it seemingly works.

If Nintendo had target renders/gameplay for games 2-3 (or 5...) years out every year at e3, they'd be the kings of hype.

Like if Pokemon was annoucned for Switch for 2019 today. And every advertisement from now showed Pokemon for Switch for the next 2+ years.

personally, that'd annoy the eff ouf of me,( people got on Nintendo for XenoX and Zelda) but I can't say it doesn't work...so...shrug.

edit:
btw, the bolded is garbage :)

Wii U's biggest moment was the 2013 panic direct where Nintendo actually showed stuff.

Sony's approach works, Nintendo's doesn't.

Parshias7

The past couple of days I had been skimming through old Nintendo Directs and E3 Showcases and was surprised that Xenoblade X must have shown up in about a dozen of them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I imagine they want to deliver a higher end experience for their first Switch game.

With Sun and Moon, they've doubled down on production values as a core part of the franchise, so a Sun and Moon port would look pretty lame on that front.

In the meantime, basically all their audience is on 3DS anyway, so they want to deliver a SKU there. There won't even be close to as many Switches sold as Sun and Moon copies were sold by the time the game comes out.

Eolz

I imagine they want to deliver a higher end experience for their first Switch game.

With Sun and Moon, they've doubled down on production values as a core part of the franchise, so a Sun and Moon port would look pretty lame on that front.

In the meantime, basically all their audience is on 3DS anyway, so they want to deliver a SKU there. There won't even be close to as many Switches sold as Sun and Moon copies were sold by the time the game comes out.

Possibly, but I doubt that's the reason for them avoiding the Switch so far.
They don't seem to be capable (even with help from others) to do big multiplatform games.

Definitely makes more sense to release it on 3DS, but I doubt that the lack of a crossgen release is due to them having some better plans for the Switch right now.

Oregano

There's always the possibility that Gamefreak aren't working on Switch at all and don't plan to. Nintendo might actually be dumb enough to release a distinct handheld as Orgen has suggested.

you're saying this was a good thing...?

It sure as hell wasn't a bad thing.

Busaiku

While this isn't unusual for Gamefreak, people thought the Switch situation would necessitate a change from them.
This will be the first time in the franchise's history the latest game is not playable on the newest hardware.

While Black 2 and White 2 were not made for 3DS, they were still playable on 3DS, and they did great.

Being 3DS exclusive is definitely gonna hurt these games, as Shadow of Valentia and Monster Hunter XX (this was announced long after release) have shown.

Mory Dunz

yes, we need more Yoshi, Crackdown, Scalebound, KH3 (gonna be half a decade soon! oh boy we should throw a party), FF7, Spider Man, Xeno X, TLG, FFXV, etc announcements in the industry

I just get excited thinking about how excited I'll be once I actually get excited for those games.

I'll give shenmue a pass

Busaiku

There's always the possibility that Gamefreak aren't working on Switch at all and don't plan to. Nintendo might actually be dumb enough to release a distinct handheld as Orgen has suggested..

This thread was already bad with Monster Hunter junk, and you're bringing this back.
Darn it Gamefreak, this is the worst case scenario all around.

all of a sudden Switch's year one lineup is garbage

I need to stay out of those threads...
Says you.

Meanwhile now that Pokken is announced with Arms, Splatoon 2, and MK8D I am drowning in online games and feel like Nintendo needs to slow the fuck down. Too many online games at once is too much.

I really hope if Smash is announced at E3 its Holiday 2018. Give me time to enjoy a online game before another one comes out.

MTC100

Banned
Making a port of Ultra Sun/Moon on Switch is not killing 3DS. The question is not why Nintendo release game on 3DS, it's why Nintendo don't support Switch. I didn't expect Nintendo to put a brand new Pokemon on Switch this year, but at least they can throw their loyal fans that buy their new console day one some bones, instead of "you thought you're not gonna use your 240p trash again didn't you lol"

Well, people still have the choice to vote with their wallet and not buy the games I guess?

It worked quite well with Monster Hunter XX for the 3DS before, with which performance capcom was quite disappointed with.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
There's always the possibility that Gamefreak aren't working on Switch at all and don't plan to. Nintendo might actually be dumb enough to release a distinct handheld as Orgen has suggested.

Pretty sure they have been confirmed to be working on Switch.

Zalman

I wonder how Pokkén DX will do. The original didn't have a massive debut, but it at least ended up being a million-seller worldwide.

Oregano

yes, we need more Yoshi, Crackdown, Scalebound, KH3 (gonna be half a decade soon! oh boy we should throw a party), FF7, Spider Man, Xeno X, TLG, FFXV, etc announcements in the industry

I just get excited thinking about how excited I'll be once I actually get excited for those games.

I'll give shenmue a pass

Personal opinions aside it obviously works. Sony's Year of Dreams E3(ugh) was based on three vapourware games. TLG has come out now but it took 10 years from the first announcement.

This thread was already bad with Monster Hunter junk, and you're bringing this back.
Darn it Gamefreak, this is the worst case scenario all around.

The next step is going to be the shattering of all the "wait for E3" people's dreams in regards to third party support for Switch. Though maybe Nintendo's steam being so short will clue them in.

EDIT:
Pretty sure they have been confirmed to be working on Switch.

No, it was TPC that said they were working on Switch, hence Pokken.

Eliseo

You and Aostia are reaching new levels lol.

jnWake

US/UM missing Switch, although disappointing, isn't that surprising. Pokémon is a big brand so releasing a game with low production values is quite risky. People have shown that Pokémon models look fine in HD but the real issue is the overworld which has horrible textures that would require much more to be fixed.

It's also interesting to note that Nintendo themselves have avoided releasing 3DS remasters and I think it's for the same reason. All their important titles have good production values, including the Wii U ports. IMO that's why games like FE Fates/Echoes have missed the Switch, Nintendo doesn't want to release games with bad graphics unless they're more quirky/gimmicky ones like 12Switch and Snipperclips.

Alrus

I see we're back to "Disgaea 5 will sell 20k worldwide and all third party support plans for the switch will be dropped" level of kneejerk reactions.

Salvadora

The Pokemon news is surprising, but not entirely unexpected.

Switch will have a strong first year without it.

I'm not expecting a Smash Bros announcement anytime soon either considering Pokken is coming in September.

I'm curious about new game announcements for Switch next week in the Direct; feels like we already know quite a bit about the line up.

Draxal

Oh, sure, but that's only relevant if you feel that it's the Fire Emblem brand that makes IntSys successful instead of their talents.

Mind, I think there's basically zero chance of them making a game with someone else as it stands, which is why I was only noting this in the relationship dynamic sense of maybe holding them to less strict standards (see some of their content and business models compared to how DLC is priced for Nintendo's internal products, or even how gay characters are included or how women are represented for different ends of that spectrum).

TBH, they're pretty intertwined, but the brand is pretty important. Remember, Nintendo got into the whole IP infringement lawsuit business when Shouzou Kaga left to form TirnaNog and make Emblem TearRing Saga.

Mory Dunz

The Pokemon news is surprising, but not entirely unexpected.

Switch will have a strong first year without it.

I'm not expecting a Smash Bros announcement anytime soon either considering Pokken is coming in September.

I'm curious about new game announcements for Switch next week in the Direct; feels like we already know quite a bit about the line up.

cause we do outside of a few of games like Retro, maybe M&L but for 3ds, and localizations like MH. a 2018 game or two might be seen like AC. Then there's the small chance for a third party game like KH3, or maybe Ni no Kuni, but unlikely. The smaller jp stuff will be at TGS or directs I assume.

and that's pretty much it. So expect the hot takes to come thick and hard.

Oregano

Ok. I'm sure they are hiring for the 4DS or something.

You seriously need to take a bit of a break.

I'm not the one who brought up the possibility and I argued against it because it's stupid but stupid is Nintendo's MO and they keep insisting Switch is a home console.

People can point to Fire Emblem as an example of a handheld franchise releasing on Switch but they keep emphasizing that it's a home console game. There's no evidence so far that Switch is going to get Nintendo's handheld games.

Zalman

I'm not the one who brought up the possibility and I argued against it because it's stupid but stupid is Nintendo's MO and they keep insisting Switch is a home console.

People can point to Fire Emblem as an example of a handheld franchise releasing on Switch but they keep emphasizing that it's a home console game. There's no evidence so far that Switch is going to get Nintendo's handheld games.
I expect them to eventually release a smaller, more handheld-like version of the Switch, which will ultimately serve as the "next handheld" while being compatible with Switch games. I doubt they will split their resources again.

relevant

schuelma

Per usual, you have no patience. You were arguing a month ago that Japanese 3rd parties weren't going to announce anything of significance then XX announcement dropped last week.

Nintendo IMO is pretty clearly trying to have its cake and eat it too with their PR statements- the longer they can keep 3DS going while Switch also takes off the better.

Fire Emblem is Switch.

Animal Crossing is likely Switch.

MH XX just announced.

Bravely Default developer is on Switch

SMT announced for Switch

No internally developed 3DS games announced.

Oregano

I expect them to eventually release a smaller, more handheld-like version of the Switch, which will ultimately serve as the "next handheld" while being compatible with Switch games. I doubt they will split their resources again.

That would be the sane and logical thing to do but we're talking about the company who thinks this is a good idea too:
C3lD9nyVYAETiGG_thumb.jpg

Heh.. The 3DS is up YoY, and the Switch's demand compared to the shipments is crazy. What benefit will it be for TPC to put more of their major HH games on the Switch when the system's userbase will be in this state for a undetermined amount of time? Switch's day for those type of games will come, but Nintendo can currently afford to hold off from throwing everything they got on the system.

H13

Man I just hope they annouce the gold and silver vc to switch too u know, so I can cope my hunger for the next big pokemon on switch

schuelma

Switch doesn't have the audience to accommodate a new Pokemon game. It'd be like asking Beyonce to perform at the Red Bull Arena.

Right. I still think Stars or whatever exists- but I could see Nintendo/TPC deciding its better placed in Q1 2018. Bigger install base and more room to breathe.

noshten

wait hey going back to that thread digs this up:

Crows come home to roost at the end of the year.

In terms of the 3DS not being killed off yet - hardly surprising, the only surprising thing is the Pokemon announcement. But Pokemon Co works in their own way and the Switch 2017 lineup is already extremely stacked. Like I mentioned at the start of the year I wouldn't be surprised if there are titles in 2018 and I don't doubt there would be revisions, additional peripheral devices announced for the Switch in the future.

Yes smaller games will be on the 3DS no doubt but the minute you announce something like Pokemon or AC exclusive to the Switch - 3DS sales will start to slow down. I'm thinking the early lauch is geared towards keeping the 3DS audience engaged but if that audience wants to get Nintendo and 3rd party's bigger games they would need to upgrade. Also 3DS continues to have tons of games in it's library and is like 1/3 the price. They will continue to support it and have titles even in 2018 but at that point it would be a legacy platform with fewer 1st party titles.
I just don't see Nintendo fragmenting their audience much longer with the Switch being out. They might make revisions, they might make handheld only models, they might make external CPU devices for docked mode but they will keep the form very much the same. Also to me the accessories for the tablet and joycons would be far more interesting than any accessory for the Wii U.

Oregano

Per usual, you have no patience. You were arguing a month ago that Japanese 3rd parties weren't going to announce anything of significance then XX announcement dropped last week.

Nintendo IMO is pretty clearly trying to have its cake and eat it too with their PR statements- the longer they can keep 3DS going while Switch also takes off the better.

Fire Emblem is Switch.

Animal Crossing is likely Switch.

MH XX just announced.

Bravely Default developer is on Switch

SMT announced for Switch

No internally developed 3DS games announced.

Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing only skipped Wii U, they both released on Gamecube and Wii. The other three are third party games and considering how late they apparently heard about Switch it would be entirely unsurprising that they too would be fooled into thinking the Switch was meant to be their handheld as well.
Also SMT is going to be PS4 game too so it doesn't really point to anything handheld.

Heh.. The 3DS is up YoY, and the Switch's demand compared to the shipments is crazy. What benefit will it be for TPC to put more of their major HH games on the Switch when the system's userbase will be in this state for a undetermined amount of time? Switch's day for those type of games will come, but Nintendo can currently afford to hold off from throwing everything they got on the system.

They didn't know Switch would be selling out when they made the decision, they just didn't care. Also resting on your laurels is a sure fire way to lose that momentum. Sony has continued to give their (PS4) fans what they want despite dominating.

Top Bottom