• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2017 (May 22 - May 28)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
They don't have to broadcast that games are moving to the Switch. They just announce them and that is pretty much it.

Well..yeah- and so far, other than Fire Emblem, they aren't doing that.

test_account

XP-39C²
I mean, Switch having stock problem is going to add to the small userbase problem so, it is not shocking at all to see UM and US to stuck on 3DS(And also of course, GF can reuse all its assets so why not lol.^^)
Yeah, i doesnt hurt in that regards, but i dont think the Switch has any influense on the games being on 3DS :)

casiopao

Now I know the reason why nintendo planned to ship 6 mil of 3ds units this year along with the 2ds xl, I think they want to use DQXI and Pokemon ultras and other first party games to sell those consoles

Third Party actually is also quite good actually.

Lady Layton, Snack World,SMT and Miitopia had good opportunities of doing quite well too.^^

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
We known the entire Switch line up until the end of this year unless something unexpected happens. Pokken leaves Smash out and Pokemon is 3DS only. Only Mario & Sonic has left.

schuelma

We known the entire Switch line up until the end of this year unless something unexpected happens. Pokken leaves Smash out and Pokemon is 3DS only. Only Mario & Sonic has left.

Yup. Plus some other 3rd party stuff I'm sure.

July- Splatoon 2
August- MH XX
September- DQX and Pokken
October- FE Warriors?
November- Mario
December- Xenoblade 2?

Vena

Xenoblade is likely December just as XCX was December (NA) and they're likely to release it simultaneously. Keeping track on its music/voice work developments, I'd be rather surprised if it wasn't this year.

XCX got a real good boon in the west from its holiday release.

Also Skyrim is somewhere in there as well, which is a real wildcard to me though that is probably more relevant westward than not.

Rabbids also has a date.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
2- I do think it was needed in the sense of broadcasting to the 3DS userbase that the transition to Switch is happening.

Do they? Honest question.

Like just looking at the slate of upcoming games, pretty much the only things left on the 3DS are games for younger kids who probably can't afford a Switch, or some very late gen cash ins like Atlus' DS ports.

Passose

Banned
Laughing at the people who wanted Nintendo to kill 3DS this year :p
this is not the Pokemon Ultra sun and moon announcement thread
Also Skyrim is somewhere in there as well, which is a real wildcard to me though that is probably more relevant westward than not.

Rabbids also has a date.
My guess for Skyrim is September, a month with it, Pokken and DQX/that rabbids game is pretty decent

schuelma

Like just looking at the slate of upcoming games, pretty much the only things left on the 3DS are games for younger kids who probably can't afford a Switch, or some very late gen cash ins like Atlus' DS ports.

True. And with Nintendo literally not being able to keep the thing in stock there certainly isn't a rush.

Vena

Bingo.

Not to mention that they've slated a fairly robust software line up already for the Switch from the first party perspective, and that includes "3DS staples" already announced like FE2018. Tack on whatever the hell Retro is doing, which is likely this year, and Rabbids (which is a more kids oriented release), and you have a solid block of 2017 for Switch, and now Pokemon rounds off the tailend of 3DS software development.

My guess for Skyrim is September, a month with it, Pokken and DQX/that rabbids game is pretty decent

I actually think Skyrim will be where MHXX is for the Japan vs. West. Skyrim is a much bigger deal in the west (see: NPD Skyrim Remaster release) than in japan, and reverse therein for MHXX.

vareon

Switch need to be reachable by more people and kids before being the home of Pokemon. With the steady releases in 2017 it doesn't need the Pokemon shot yet. Same with Animal Crossing I think.

That said I don't see the urgency to squeeze one more (pair of) Pokemon on 3DS, though. Well maybe from their side, but I think many people are fine with no Pokemon this year.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Pokken is the next game that so far follows the rule of Nintendo porting only million sellers and not caring for games that failed at their previous platforms. Only Xenoblade is the exception so far but that was a special occasion.

wait hey going back to that thread digs this up:

Yeah I called it out at that point and it still remains a ridiculous prediction.

So when should mario release? I feel a little weird....

Mario has released the first week of November a few times in Japan. I know 3D Land and Galaxy did. That would give it a two week buffer. Either that or it might release the week after US/UM.

I also had another thought with the Ultra Sun and Moon 3DS release. Nintendo is just going to full out ride the ultra cheap HW of the 3DS and have a cheaper line of systems for kids. Selling the system at $100 or $129 (maybe lower or with bundles during the holidays) will give it good legs for a long time.

casiopao

Pokken is the next game that so far follows the rule of Nintendo porting only million sellers and not caring for games that failed at their previous platforms. Only Xenoblade is the exception so far but that was a special occasion.

Guess, Tropical Freeze on Switch had high chance huh. While Tokyo Mirage Session, Color Splash and Fatal Frame V had zero chance of port huh.T_T Sad sad day.

I would love to believe that main posters on M-C would be more suave on sales enough to know that killing 3DS early is crazy idea lol.^^
You have no idea......

I mean Duckroll was in a heated debate with Chris on this same topic because apparently Nintendo would cut all support for the hardware. Since then, they announced a new hardware 2DS XL and even brand new Pokemon games. I am sure they have 1-2 announcement still planned ahead and they aren't giving up on it anytime soon.

I never expected DQXI for 3DS to be localized but now I expect it in 2018. But it also depends on the Switch version and if it is the same as 3DS, they might drop it since it will be redundant. I dunno.

Oregano

Guess, Tropical Freeze on Switch had high chance huh. While Tokyo Mirage Session, Color Splash and Fatal Frame V had zero chance of port huh.T_T Sad sad day.

I think TMS depends on if Atlus wants to do it. Stuff like Strange Journey and Radiant Historia show they're willing to do it for even modest returns.

casiopao

You have no idea......

I mean Duckroll was in a heated debate with Chris on this same topic because apparently Nintendo would cut all support for the hardware. Since then, they announced a new hardware 2DS XL and even brand new Pokemon games. I am sure they have 1-2 announcement still planned ahead and they aren't giving up on it anytime soon.

I never expected DQXI for 3DS to be localized but now I expect it in 2018. But it also depends on the Switch version and if it is the same as 3DS, they might drop it since it will be redundant. I dunno.

I remember Chris saying that 3DS won't be getting big support by Nintendo and based on usual info, it is not surprising as Pokemon usually had one year break i think? So US and UM is outlier.

But, i really had hard time seeing Nintendo dedicating much effort into the platform like lets said a new Animal Crossing for 3DS anymore. third party is surely not going to leave 3ds that early there.

I think TMS depends on if Atlus wants to do it. Stuff like Strange Journey and Radiant Historia show they're willing to do it for even modest returns.

TMS is not a sole title by Atlus though. They still need Nintendo and IS into the game there.

Kanann

Sonic "Gotta Go Fast"
ATLUS "Gotta Go Cheap"

ATLUS owned by SEGA "Gotta Go Cheap And Fast"

...nah, TMS was buried.

schuelma

I remember Chris saying that 3DS won't be getting big support by Nintendo and based on usual info, it is not surprising as Pokemon usually had one year break i think? So US and UM is outlier.

But, i really had hard time seeing Nintendo dedicating much effort into the platform like lets said a new Animal Crossing for 3DS anymore. third party is surely not going to leave 3ds that early there.

Unless I'm missing something, there is really no new, internally developed 3DS games announced is there?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
what is "new"
would M&L: SS count if it's announced?
Since its a tradition my words to be misinterprented from the usual suspects what I had said was that all internal teams have moved to Switch and 3DS is done with big games from Nintendo leaving it with whatever small projects are close to completion.

Since its a tradition my words to be misinterprented from the usual suspects what I had said was that all internal teams have moved to Switch and 3DS is done with big games from Nintendo leaving it with whatever small projects are close to completion.

Yeah, this is pretty much accurate.

I mean, looking at the titles remaining this year, it's clear what's happening. Hey Pikmin? Arzest. Ever Oasis? Grezzo. Miitopia? Late localization. Ultra Sun/Moon? Game Freak.

None are new, internally developed games. I think Fire Emblem Echoes could be the last one for the 3DS, barring any surprises at E3. I don't think Nintendo wants to kill the 3DS anytime soon (and they shouldn't - not entirely, anyway), but they also know that they need to concentrate most of their effort on the Switch (which they are: Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, XC2, Fire Emblem Switch).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, this is pretty much accurate.

I mean, looking at the titles remaining this year, it's clear what's happening. Hey Pikmin? Arzest. Ever Oasis? Grezzo. Miitopia? Late localization. Ultra Sun/Moon? Game Freak.

None are new, internally developed games. I think Fire Emblem Echoes could be the last one for the 3DS, barring any surprises at E3. I don't think Nintendo wants to kill the 3DS anytime soon (and they shouldn't - not entirely, anyway), but they also know that they need to concentrate most of their effort on the Switch (which they are: Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, XC2, Fire Emblem Switch).
Intelligent Systems isn't actually an internal studio.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It isn't? Aren't they owned by Nintendo?
They're not a subsidiary like Monolith, but they've never made a non-Nintendo game unless we count Heroes.

However, I think there's at least some relevance in this distinction since Nintendo is incentivized to give them more rope in decision making, since there's a lot of competing companies who would love to barge in on this relationship.

For example, Heroes and everything about it (including the business model) was IntSys's idea.

duckroll

They're not a subsidiary like Monolith, but they've never made a non-Nintendo game unless we count Heroes.

However, I think there's at least some relevance in this distinction since Nintendo is incentivized to give them more rope in decision making, since there's a lot of competing companies who would love to barge in on this relationship.

For example, Heroes and everything about it (including the business model) was IntSys's idea.

Their English page is hilarious: https://www.intsys.co.jp/english/

However, I think there's at least some relevance in this distinction since Nintendo is incentivized to give them more rope in decision making.

Wow, that's interesting. I wonder why Nintendo won't just make them a subsidiary at this point.

Also wonder why they've never branched outside Nintendo before. Unless they think it would damage their relationship.

Xbro

Wow, that's interesting. I wonder why Nintendo won't just make them a subsidiary at this point.

Also wonder why they've never branched outside Nintendo before. Unless they think it would damage their relationship.

I believe they have a lifetime contract with Nintendo since iirc Nintendo did found them.

L~A

what is "new"
would M&L: SS count if it's announced?

Well, even if you considered it "new", it's not an internally-developed title (AlphaDream isn't even a subsidiary).

Speaking of AlphaDream, I'm not surprised they're reportedly working on a M&L remake. They're pretty small (not even 50 employees, iirc), so transitioning to the Nintendo Switch would have been quite the ordeal (especially since they needed external help for some elements in the last two games they made, the 3D battles).

Really curious to see what's next for them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

There's no incentive to work with others as long as Nintendo is giving them what they want.

Also, they were pretty niche for a loooooong time, so this partnership was well in Nintendo's favor for most of their history were a dispute to ever happen.

And these days, Nintendo seems happy to fund whatever and engage in whatever DLC or business model they want.

Vena

There's no incentive to work with others as long as Nintendo is giving them what they want.

Also, they were pretty niche for a loooooong time, so this partnership was well in Nintendo's favor for most of their history were a dispute to ever happen.

And these days, Nintendo seems happy to fund whatever and engage in whatever DLC or business model they want.

Doesn't Nintendo own all of their IP, though? Or at least co-own, so IntSys without Nintendo or vise-versa is kinda of a null prospect.

Mory Dunz

Well, even if you considered it "new", it's not an internally-developed title (AlphaDream isn't even a subsidiary).

Speaking of AlphaDream, I'm not surprised they're reportedly working on a M&L remake. They're pretty small (not even 50 employees, iirc), so transitioning to the Nintendo Switch would have been quite the ordeal (especially since they needed external help for some elements in the last two games they made, the 3D battles).

Really curious to see what's next for them.

Hopefully they get the extra resources needed to transition. A good M&L game could be one of the biggest jrpgs again.

The could keep it sprite based imo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Doesn't Nintendo own all of their IP, though? Or at least co-own, so IntSys without Nintendo or vise-versa is kinda of a null prospect.
Oh, sure, but that's only relevant if you feel that it's the Fire Emblem brand that makes IntSys successful instead of their talents.

Mind, I think there's basically zero chance of them making a game with someone else as it stands, which is why I was only noting this in the relationship dynamic sense of maybe holding them to less strict standards (see some of their content and business models compared to how DLC is priced for Nintendo's internal products, or even how gay characters are included or how women are represented for different ends of that spectrum).

Makes sense. Nintendo seemingly gives them a lot of freedom with the games they make, publishes them and markets them. No point in messing up a good thing.

Now, if only their partnership could result in an ambitious Paper Mario game again.

Mory Dunz

I've seen people argue that Wii U's year one lineup is superior.

it's only going to get worse after e3 when nintendo mainly talks about 2017 games we know with a few 2018 game mentions. People are probably expecting to see 2020 games the way they're talking. Well, if KH3 gets a port, they'll get that specific wish. ;)

Aters

I would love to believe that main posters on M-C would be more suave on sales enough to know that killing 3DS early is crazy idea lol.^^

Making a port of Ultra Sun/Moon on Switch is not killing 3DS. The question is not why Nintendo release game on 3DS, it's why Nintendo don't support Switch. I didn't expect Nintendo to put a brand new Pokemon on Switch this year, but at least they can throw their loyal fans that buy their new console day one some bones, instead of "you thought you're not gonna use your 240p trash again didn't you lol"

Top Bottom