• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2017 (May 22 - May 28)

ksamedi

Lets be honest here, combining all handheld and console development into one platform is too much. Nintendo has way too many development options and IP to put them all on one platform. The release schedule is crowded already and third parties need some breathing room as well. I wouldnt find it surprising for them to announce a new handheld in 2018 thats completey different from the Switch yet share maybe the mobile chips

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The other three are third party games and considering how late they apparently heard about Switch it would be entirely unsurprising that they too would be fooled into thinking the Switch was meant to be their handheld as well.

Alright, I'm done. Yeah- I'm sure Nintendo is secretly tricking 3rd parties behind the scenes.

See you in September when you'll be gushing about the system after the Fall Nintendo Direct, soon to be followed by more freak outs two weeks later when game X isn't announced for the platform.

Lets be honest here, combining all handheld and console development into one platform is too much. Nintendo has way too many development options and IP to put them all on one platform. The release schedule is crowded already and third parties need some breathing room as well. I wouldnt find it surprising for them to announce a new handheld in 2018 thats completey different from the Switch yet share maybe the mobile chips
While I don't want that to be how it works, it's in line with their old statements in 2013-2014 about wanting an architecture that makes porting to different systems easy.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Yeah, this is pretty much accurate.

I mean, looking at the titles remaining this year, it's clear what's happening. Hey Pikmin? Arzest. Ever Oasis? Grezzo. Miitopia? Late localization. Ultra Sun/Moon? Game Freak.

None are new, internally developed games. I think Fire Emblem Echoes could be the last one for the 3DS, barring any surprises at E3. I don't think Nintendo wants to kill the 3DS anytime soon (and they shouldn't - not entirely, anyway), but they also know that they need to concentrate most of their effort on the Switch (which they are: Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, XC2, Fire Emblem Switch).
Even you are completely irrelevant with Nintendo and how it operates a simple look at past launches would make it obvious Nintendo has shifted all development sources to Switch since long time ago. It doesn't need to have the gift of predicting the future when you see what is released for Switch and what for 3DS. It's one of the rare times almost the entire line up of a Nintendo's console first year was known since its reveal.

It's been obvious for a long while now that many are only interested in the spectacle of these events and the notvthe actual content. I'm expecting "Nintendo doomed!" narratives after E3 and if the MH5 for PS4 turns out to be legit, which I think it will be.

I'm personally fine with MH5 on PS4 (or anywhere, really), but if it's announced at Sony's conference next week, I may have to leave GAF for a bit, as it's likely to get real nasty.

Scum

I think you're in danger of completely dismissing it as a factor in actual success though. You have to be able to make people excited about your products. Nintendo nailed that with their initial Switch trailer and Sony nails that year in, year out which is why they've had so much success this generation. Nintendo continually disappointing their fanbase damages morale which damages the brand.

23374838385_7030369a3d_o.png

Even you are completely irrelevant with Nintendo and how it operates a simple look at past launches would make it obvious Nintendo has shifted all development sources to Switch since long time ago. It doesn't need to have the gift of predicting the future when you see what is released for Switch and what for 3DS. It's one of the rare times almost the entire line up of a Nintendo's console first year was known since its reveal.

? At bolded.

I agreed with you in my last post, lol

Oregano

What third parties?

Alright, I'm done. Yeah- I'm sure Nintendo is secretly tricking 3rd parties behind the scenes.

See you in September when you'll be gushing about the system after the Fall Nintendo Direct, soon to be followed by more freak outs two weeks later when game X isn't announced for the platform.

At least we're not pretending E3 is going to have anything worthwhile now.

Scum

I'm personally fine with MH5 on PS4 (or anywhere, really), but if it's announced at Sony's conference next week, I may have to leave GAF for a bit, as it's likely to get real nasty.

I'm expecting it at Sony's conference, to be honest. But yeah. Just browse everywhere else and stay in your favourite subscribed threads, mate. It'll be for the best.

I hope Nintendo Manufacture 3DSes for the next 4 more years

I still need to a get a New Nintendo 3DS ;_;

please tell me you're joking my guy

Ōkami

Don't worry guys, these threads can always get worse.

And they probably will once Monster Hunter gets announced for everything but Switch.

jnWake

Mods are so quick to ban Switch port begging on every thread yet no one bats an eye at the shitposts here, by the same users week after week.

Xbro

Mods are so quick to ban Switch port begging on every thread yet no one bats an eye at the shitposts here, by the same users week after week.

Oh they weren't quick to ban the switch port begging. Didn't start happening until recently.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Isn't that why cw_sasuke got banned though?

Personal opinions aside it obviously works. Sony's Year of Dreams E3(ugh) was based on three vapourware games. TLG has come out now but it took 10 years from the first announcement.

So Nintendo needs to make a concept trailer for something they're planning to make in 10 years that hypes everyone up (let's say a cool looking Metroid) and then release it on the Switch 4 in 2027? Genius I say!

What third parties?
Idk, like DQ11 and Monster Hunter XX? The Western AAA devs are MIA (maybe there will be a token announcement outside of Rabbids at E3), but the Japanese support is slowly growing and the big names are now largely present.

Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing only skipped Wii U, they both released on Gamecube and Wii. The other three are third party games and considering how late they apparently heard about Switch it would be entirely unsurprising that they too would be fooled into thinking the Switch was meant to be their handheld as well.
Also SMT is going to be PS4 game too so it doesn't really point to anything handheld.

They didn't know Switch would be selling out when they made the decision, they just didn't care. Also resting on your laurels is a sure fire way to lose that momentum. Sony has continued to give their (PS4) fans what they want despite dominating.

you must teach us your skills at how you avoid the shadowy ghosts of BISH from assailing you my friend

Isn't that why cw_sasuke got banned though?

So Nintendo needs to make a concept trailer for something they're planning to make in 10 years that hypes everyone up (let's say a cool looking Metroid) and then release it on the Switch 4 in 2027? Genius I say!

Idk, like DQ11 and Monster Hunter XX? The Western AAA devs are MIA (maybe there will be a token announcement outside of Rabbids at E3), but the Japanese support is slowly growing and the big names are now largely present.

I dunno but if it was its about time. Switch portbegging was getting out of hand.

It's one of the rare times almost the entire line up of a Nintendo's console first year was known since its reveal.

oh well, in the past I never imagined that a new nintendo system would have games such as mario, mario kart, smash bros, zelda, something yoshi, something kirby...

ah! this time there is splatoon, yeah!!!!!!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
oh well, in the past I never imagined that a new nintendo system would have games such as mario, mario kart, smash bros, zelda, something yoshi, something kirby...

ah! this time there is splatoon, yeah!!!!!!

This is weird. I'm assuming you're minimizing the first party lineup in your own unique way?

And you're doing it 2 weeks before Nintendo launches an all new IP?

The problem with USUM is not that it's 3DS-exclusive- yeah, it sucks for me personally, but the business case for keeping it to the 3DS is an understandable one.

The real problem is Game Freak is dragging its feet and failing to be on the new hardware before 2019. I think it's probable that waiting so long to get onto the 3DS damaged X and Y's performance, particularly in Japan. Of course, it's even worse this time than it was last- Black and White 2 could be played on 3DS, and even had 3DS-specific downloadable software available to complement it, and we've heard that a good portion of the owners of that software played it on their 3DS. This time, there's going to be no way to play any kind of Pokémon RPG on the Switch for years to come, which cannot be a positive for the brand.

This is, of course, assuming that we're not seeing the end of Pokémon generations on dedicated hardware, and that Game Freak aren't moving them to mobile to chase that Go money.

Sandfox

What point are you trying to make?
The next step after "Nintendo platform has no games" is "Nintendo platform has no new games or franchises".

The problem with USUM is not that it's 3DS-exclusive- yeah, it sucks for me personally, but the business case for keeping it to the 3DS is an understandable one.

The real problem is Game Freak is dragging its feet and failing to be on the new hardware before 2019. I think it's probable that waiting so long to get onto the 3DS damaged X and Y's performance, particularly in Japan. Of course, it's even worse this time than it was last- Black and White 2 could be played on 3DS, and even had 3DS-specific downloadable software available to complement it, and we've heard that a good portion of the owners of that software played it on their 3DS. This time, there's going to be no way to play any kind of Pokémon RPG on the Switch for years to come, which cannot be a positive for the brand.

This is, of course, assuming that we're not seeing the end of Pokémon generations on dedicated hardware, and that Game Freak aren't moving them to mobile to chase that Go money.
GF is very likely already working on a Switch game with these games being something for the meantime by a different and/or smaller team.

Loving the buzz around the MH franchise.

MHXX just might become the best selling entry in the west, surpassing MH4U and its million.

👏 👏 👏

Kanann

E3 is coming. What are big, bigger, and the biggest Japanese games that gonna drop there?

You can choose KH3 and FFVIIr tho.

Wait, since when did Ultra Sun/Moon not releasing on Switch this year turn into the Switch not getting a mainline Pokémon game until 2019, if ever?

I think there is way too much overreaction to this. It's predictable that Game Freak would make a move like this, as they're typically slow on the uptake of new hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a Switch game in the works due out in 2018 (even if it's just a third version of Ultra S/M, but I could also see Sinnoh remakes being a thing).

But I certainly don't think they're done with dedicated hardware. TPC would be silly to abandon their core market like that. Pokemon will have its time on the Switch, even if it's not this year.

E3 is coming. What are big, bigger, and the biggest Japanese games that gonna drop there?

Mario Odyssey will be a million-seller, for sure. RE2 is the best selling RE and the remake could do well i Japan but i doubt it's going to be out this year.

also a New Pikmin for the switch is possible this year

Scum

DMC5 - PS4/PC/Scorpio
REmake2 - PS4/PC/Scorpio
MH5 - PS4 First/Switch
Bloodborne 2 but not Bloodborne 2 - PS4

It'll be Capcom's E3, baby!

Eolz

If we're talking big budget, shown for the west and that's going to sell well, I guess it's mostly nintendo games...

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
DMC5 - PS4/PC/Scorpio
REmake2 - PS4/PC/Scorpio
MH5 - PS4 First/Switch
Bloodborne 2 but not Bloodborne 2 - PS4

It'll be Capcom's E3, baby!
Given that it's Capcom, I'd expect that they'd bungle each of those and make mh5 xb1 only and other games for colecovision.

Vinnk

Well that's not true. Mods have been very lenient. More than I would have been. You have to be really obnoxious and obvious to get a ban begging for games. That said I agree there is a lot of repetitious crap. E3 needs to happen so some of the tension can break. People are going crazy. Myself included sadly.

Kanann

4 days left.

Capcom: Deep Down gonna Deep There (tm) /joke, hope for DMC5 since 2014-2016, REmake2 doesn't hurt, and Dragon's Dogma 2 at low base bet. MH5 not ready yet.

Konami: MGSurvive?

SQEN: "Insider (in gaf)" said DQXI (depend on Saito flying to LA or not this week), but I says Front Mission (That one that got Armoured Core producer doing it long time ago).

Nintendo: Everyone eyes on Mario, but all I want are Xeno2 and FE, TMS too please god.

Bandai Namco: Ni no Kuni 2.

SEGA: Nothing too big, Sonic, Yakuza, 13th Sentinel, etc.

Sony: SIREN3.

Vena

Safe to say most people who post about MH don't play MH, me included.

I am fairly convinced I am one of the few people in these threads who actually plays MH games rather extensively, or at all frankly. /shrug

If its not a Rathalos/Rathian, or Zinogre, no one knows what any of the monsters are, lol.

Same with DQ, people are more interested in the sales implication than the games themselves. It's a bit sad.

I think this one is a bit more common on GAF for our poster population, its a core RPG and its not as intimidating or obtuse as MH.

Same with DQ, people are more interested in the sales implication than the games themselves. It's a bit sad.

I's a sales thread. Why wouldnt this be the case? It's market analysis first and foremost.

That said I have over 1000 hours between Tri, 3U, 4U and Generations. It's one of my fav franchises.

I am fairly convinced I am one of the few people in these threads who actually plays MH games rather extensively, or at all frankly. /shrug

If its not a Rathalos/Rathian, or Zinogre, no one knows what any of the monsters are, lol.

I think this one is a bit more common on GAF for our poster population, its a core RPG and its not as intimidating or obtuse as MH.

At this point MH is more popular than DQ in the West and I would imagine on Gaf too frankly.

Also I imagine people may recognize Tigrex and Nargacuga haha

Alrus

I's a sales thread. Why wouldnt this be the case? It's market analysis first and foremost.

That said I have over 1000 hours between Tri, 3U, 4U and Generations. It's one of my fav franchises.

I'm speaking about this forum in general, not this specific thread. I mean when you see people cheering for the westernized (aka dumbed down) MH rumors, you know they're not really fans of the game.

And I have hundreds of hours logged into MH, the only one I skipped since Tri is Generations and I'm picking up XX as soon as it releases in Europe.

Heh, all the DQ XI threads about gameplay systems barely gather any attention meanwhile speculation of DQ not releasing on the Switch this year gets a ton of discussion going.

What's sad about it? A lot us are genuinely just interested in sales. I find the numbers, trends, predictions and everything else that following sales involves interesting and fun. Sales threads are about discussing sales. Official threads and game threads are for discussing the games. If you want to find people who are excited to play various games than NPD, media create and pal charts aren't the place to look. You should look to official threads if that's what you want.

There are plenty of games I have no interest in playing but I'm still interested in how they'll sell and what impact they'll have on the market.

Vena

I'm speaking about this forum in general, not this specific thread. I mean when you see people cheering for the westernized (aka dumbed down) MH rumors, you know they're not really fans of the game.

You need only look as far as Aeana's post with regards to DQ not too long ago on the matter. Hundreds of pages for an announcement/argument over platform, two pages for any new information. If it weren't for the argumentative fights over platform, you'd think that GAF didn't actually care about the game at all.

Heh, all the DQ XI threads about gameplay systems barely gather any attention meanwhile speculation of DQ not releasing on the Switch this year gets a ton of discussion going.

Yes, see above.

I mean, if you think pages of MH (edit: and DQ I guess) platform discussion only happens in these threads...

Top Bottom