• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2017 (May 22 - May 28)

Splatoon had a really fun single player mode and Splatoon 2 seems to have raised the stakes. Did you try out the original's single player campaign?

I did. It wasn't bad. Again, the game isn't SHIT (in my opinion) it's just not to my tastes as is most of the switches lineup. They have some titles that will sell well but sales doesn't always equal quality (even if Nintendo do make in my opinion the BEST games hands down). I just didn't get what everyone else seems to have gotten out of splatoon or is currently getting out of Arms. I mean if you ask me

Do you want Arms
Splatoon 2

Or new DK Platformer
Kirby platformer

I know which one I'd take and TO BE HONEST I think most Nintendo fans would prefer the latter. Read: most. Even if they DO like splatoon and arms. I want classic Nintendo (yes I know old man yells at cloud) not this newish Nintendo.

This current "Nintendo support" that is supposedly incredible is catering to a specific fan which I'm just not IN for nintendo with. I've bought all N consoles on launch and I actually loved the fuck out of my wii u. I just want to see more from switch. Great, they are making bank. Unfortunately it's not bank from shit that I personally enjoy.

casiopao

Zelda/port of wii u game
Pokken
Mario kart
Monster hunter port of 3ds game

What is "sonic series" even?

Where are exclusives? FE heroes dynasty warriors game? I mean, if people like that kind of game sure more power to them.

I'm still waiting for those heavy Nintendo hitters. Mario, Zelda. Great start for first year. Then?

?!?!??

He made the lineup seem like it's some best in class lineup. It's not. (Unless you REALLY REALLY love arms and splatoon)

Sonic Mania lol. And upcoming new Sonic game.

Zelda is released on same day as the wii u version. That should be called multiplatform release.

Hyrule warriors hit 1 million seller so FE warriors can hit that mark too.

Splatoon sold more than 4 million om Wii U lol.
If thats not big guns i dont know what is.

Again. We are talking about sales lol not what ur taste thing as big or small things.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I know i just wanted to know his opinion on those games.
Personal tastes have nothing to do with the strenght of not or a line up. The only genre that interests me is platformers so I guess this year is crap.

As far as first party support this is one of the strongest pushes Nintendo has given for a first year, the only system that beats it hands down is Wii.

And yeah, chris is right. Probably my bad too. Sales thread discussing "I think the switch lineup is lacklustre" probably not really going hand in hand.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I doubt GF could even get a Switch port out fast enough to make the november release tbh. So its irrelevant.

Why is nobody in this thread discussing Konami? Its all capcom capcom capcom but how is Konami gonna make good money off gaming now?

With good business acumen that customers can support?

Whats the future of the metal gear franchise now?

I think Metal gear should be a good example to all the people who talk crap about a SAKURAI-LESS SMASH.

It's because Konami is doing well financially thanks to mobile and other areas is my understanding (Nirolak, Chris and others can probably elaborate). They just make very few games for dedicated devices anymore. There's not much to talk about there unless you want to talk about their mobile games, and most of GAF isn't all that interested in it.

We talk about Capcom because they're actually starting to struggle and they still make games for dedicated devices. Seemingly all of their franchises' most recent entries (Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter & Ace Attorney as some examples) had at best disappointing sales and they don't have other areas where they're doing well to make up for it.

Vinnk

They have some titles that will sell well but sales doesn't always equal quality.

So now Splatoon is not quality? I just don't follow you.

I realize you don't care for Splatoon. But surely you can see that it is a quality high effort game that has resonated with the messes. And generated sales due to that fact.

I do not care for Grand Theft Auto or Uncharted. But I am not going to claim that those game are not quality. They are some of the highest quality games out there, they just don't appeal to me.

But frankly we are both off topic right now. This is a sales thread. And wether you like an IP or not has no bearing on if it is a "Big IP".

DK Platformer

From a sales perspective this is a very small IP. Again, has nothing to do with quality. But a new DK platformer would sell a tiny fraction of Splatoon.

This current "Nintendo support" that is supposedly incredible is catering to a specific fan which I'm just not IN for nintendo with. I've bought all N consoles on launch and I actually loved the fuck out of my wii u. I just want to see more from switch. Great, they are making bank. Unfortunately it's not bank from shit that I personally enjoy.

I also like things that would be poor business decisions to make. I would kill for another Captain Rainbow. I loved the Virtual Boy. I want Nintendo to open a new studio dedicated to making an Eternal Darkness sequel.

But personal preference doesn't mean much in a sales thread. Nintendo is making people very happy with the lineup they have and sales confirm that they are on the right track from a business perspective.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Honestly, complaining about "ports" is redundant considering MK8D and Pokken Deluxe add a substantial amount of content plus they are now portable.

Most importantly, they're not gonna die on the abomination known as WiiU. These games deserve better, Switch is better. I hope Tropical Freeze Deluxe is next.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Btw Vinnk, your perspective on how kids are reacting to the latest Pokemon announcement could be an interesting topic to post. Honestly I think GAF and the rest of the internet often forgets that we are in the minority when it comes to these kinds of things and that plenty of people buy products that we personally may have no interest in.

Crom

I did. It wasn't bad. Again, the game isn't SHIT (in my opinion) it's just not to my tastes as is most of the switches lineup. They have some titles that will sell well but sales doesn't always equal quality (even if Nintendo do make in my opinion the BEST games hands down). I just didn't get what everyone else seems to have gotten out of splatoon or is currently getting out of Arms. I mean if you ask me

Do you want Arms
Splatoon 2

Or new DK Platformer
Kirby platformer

I know which one I'd take and TO BE HONEST I think most Nintendo fans would prefer the latter. Read: most. Even if they DO like splatoon and arms. I want classic Nintendo (yes I know old man yells at cloud) not this newish Nintendo.

I love DK and Kirby too but I am personally more excited for Splatoon 2. It is still a very new franchise and I am interested in seeing how much they improve the single player campaign.

We just got 2 great DK games (Wii and Wii U) so I am set on DK for a while. Kirby games come out quite often and I bet 2018 we will see Kirby on Switch.

Hopefully whatever Retro is working on will make you happy and hopefully it releases this year.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Honestly, complaining about "ports" is redundant considering MK8D and Pokken Deluxe add a substantial amount of content plus they are now portable.

Most importantly, they're not gonna die on the abomination known as WiiU. These games deserve better, Switch is better. I hope Tropical Freeze Deluxe is next.

I didnt pay too much attention to the stuff they said about pokken deluxe, but besides the extra characters they didnt put on the WiiU version, what else have they announced?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I didnt pay too much attention to the stuff they said about pokken deluxe, but besides the extra characters they didnt put on the WiiU version, what else have they announced?

There's new modes like 3v3 and other stuff.

random25

I just find it funny that all of a sudden a Nintendo home console has a sudden rush of fighting games. USF2, ARMS, Pokken, and more likely later Smash. Maybe some other fighting games will join the fray in the future *cough*Tekken7*Cough*.

On the subject of Pokken DX, which do you think will sell more, the original one or the DX one? I'm not even sure what's Pokken been doing nowadays in Japan.

Vinnk

On the subject of Pokken DX, which do you think will sell more, the original one or the DX one? I'm not even sure what's Pokken been doing nowadays in Japan.

Don't know about the States but in Japan the Switch one will sell better. The local multiplayer will sell this in ways the WiiU never could.

casiopao

you are seriously one of my favorite posters

deep hell LMAO

Haha. Tx for ur kind comment.^^

I doubt GF could even get a Switch port out fast enough to make the november release tbh. So its irrelevant.

Why is nobody in this thread discussing Konami? Its all capcom capcom capcom but how is Konami gonna make good money off gaming now?

With good business acumen that customers can support?

Whats the future of the metal gear franchise now?

I think Metal gear should be a good example to all the people who talk crap about a SAKURAI-LESS SMASH.

For Konami. They are actually doing really well if u ask me here. Their financial result is good.

Their mobile game push like Jikkyou power pro is racking crazy money.

Their middle size game push like Bomberman and Momotaro Densetsu 3ds also did greatly.

So i dont think there is anything wrong with their strategy at all.^^

They can even utilize their IP and nostalgia to push in the future as it will be lower cost but high return.

Yeah, Pokken has 5 new characters. I consider it a sequel. (But just barely since 5 is a low number)

It being portable means I'll play it atleast twice as much as the original Pokken. And I played that for 124 hours until February 2017.

Mario Kart 8 is the only real port imo. And even then if you like battle mode more than racing then many may consider that a sequel too.

I don't mind if the next Smash is an expanded WiiU port, but I hope its really expanded and has 10+ characters making it a big sequel. With how long its taking I feel it will but obviously won't count on it.

And I wouldn't count on any more ports. Smash could be a sequel considering how long its been since DLC ended, a Mario Maker will likely be called Mario Maker 2 and have alot of new features. So far these are multiplayer things. While I can see some single player games from WiiU (and hopefully Wii) I don't expect many at all since Nintendo doesn't rerelease games all that often. The only one I 100% expect is Skyward Sword with hopefully a portable mode even if the controls are awkward. I never want to play on a tv again. (Obviously hope I'm wrong since I want all of Wii/WiiU games portable but I don't see many getting ported.)

random25

Don't know about the States but in Japan the Switch one will sell better. The local multiplayer will sell this in ways the WiiU never could.

Is the arcade version doing well? I also see it doing well both locally and overseas because it's on Switch, just not sure if Pokken is still pretty popular in Japan. It's a fighting game after all, and has become a niche genre for the most part.

Vinnk

Is the arcade version doing well? I also see it doing well both locally and overseas because it's on Switch, just not sure if Pokken is still pretty popular in Japan. It's a fighting game after all, and has become a niche genre for the most part.

I don't hit arcades so much anymore. They are 90% UFO catchers, Pachinko-like machines and Purikura booths these days. But last time I went (months ago) it seemed pretty popular

random25

I don't hit arcades so much anymore. They are 90% UFO catchers, Pachinko-like machines and Purikura booths these days. But last time I went (months ago) it seemed pretty popular

Thanks for the insight! I guess I'll be pretty optimistic about Pokken DX.

goldage

Banned
so it looks like nintendo is saving pokemon for next year

makes sense since they wanna use it to milk 3ds one last time

Mory Dunz

I've seen the sentiment a lot today that boils down to "It doesn't fit my personal tastes, therefore it's objectively bad"

ok, so if I hate literally every PS4 game releasing this year, it is now a POS lineup?
It sounds ridiculous phrased like this, but this sums up today.

sidenote: I've been repeatedly saying how a Pokken port makes so much sense and should exist. and now that's here, I'm actually kind of annoyed. Because now it seems cemented that the Wii U version will not receive any of this. Pokken was a console exclusive that didn't even receive DLC that was already made for the game. It's not like Mario Kart 8 where I got a full package and even beyond, with the remaster having content made specifically for the remaster. 4 of the Pokken characters existed before Deluxe. And it's not like the game was super robust in content to begin with.

Pokken U is the real pos. Handled very poorly.

random25

sidenote: I've been repeatedly saying how a Pokken port makes so much sense and should exist. and now that's here, I'm actually kind of annoyed. Because now it seems cemented that the Wii U version will not receive any of this. Pokken was a console exclusive that didn't even receive DLC that was already made for the game. It's not like Mario Kart 8 where I got a full package and even beyond, with the remaster having content made specifically for the remaster. 4 of the Pokken characters existed before Deluxe. And it's not like the game was super robust in content to begin with.

Pokken U is the real pos. Handled very poorly.

I've also been saying that it has a very good possibility, and here we are now lol.

I really don't know why TPC or Bamco never bothered to release the DLC for the Wii U version when it did quite well worldwide. Could have been easy bucks for them before this DX release.

Sandfox

I've also been saying that it has a very good possibility, and here we are now lol.

I really don't know why TPC or Bamco never bothered to release the DLC for the Wii U version when it did quite well worldwide. Could have been easy bucks for them before this DX release.

They probably wanted to save them as an incentive to buy the Switch version.

I don't own Wii U neither Switch. From what I saw at videos I can't see I would stick with it for more than a few hours, I'm not interested in shooters.

Honestly, the campaign of the first one was more like a 3D platformer of sorts, so I think you might enjoy that at least. And I expect Splatoon 2's campaign to be similar (hopefully longer as well).

goldage

Banned
Pokemon not coming on Switch actually is beneficial in long term as it means Switch will had other IP to hype for next year.

Now this is crazy predicition lol.
Vita LTD 5.633.907

u dont think switch will be close to that in about a year? if nintendo does manage to ship 20m then it'll surely happen, if shortages happen for longer than it'll still happen in a bit over a year

Passose

Banned
Pokemon not coming on Switch actually is beneficial in long term as it means Switch will had other IP to hype for next year.

Now this is crazy predicition lol.
it may happen if they solve the stock issues before the summer
Honestly, the campaign of the first one was more like a 3D platformer of sorts, so I think you might enjoy that at least. And I expect Splatoon 2's campaign to be similar (hopefully longer as well).
The campaign of Splatoon is pretty short though, it's a multiplayer focused after all, I won't buy it if I'm only into the campaign mode
Vita LTD 5.633.907

u dont think switch will be close to that in about a year? if nintendo does manage to ship 20m then it'll surely happen, if shortages happen for longer than it'll still happen in a bit over a year
problem is,did they fix the stock issues yet? you can't expect them to ship more then 5 mil units if they can't produce enough consoles

ggx2ac

so it looks like nintendo is saving pokemon for next year

makes sense since they wanna use it to milk 3ds one last time

For Switch?

I think speculation is going to fire up that the next mainline game won't happen until 2019 which would then be speculated for coinciding with a Switch revision.

And that Switch or 3DS will just have a Pokémon spinoff game for 2018.

Not that I really care about waiting that long to find out, just thinking that is what will be speculated after E3 is over.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Atelier Online (Koei/Gust x NHN PlayArts) actually looks surprisingly competent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f1NuBDlJQQ

screenshot-6_7_2017-6vjuxw.jpg
screenshot-6_7_2017-6j2ud9.jpg

screenshot-6_7_2017-6r5ufs.jpg
screenshot-6_7_2017-6rsu8k.jpg

Vinnk

Demand for 5mil might be there but I have serous doubts that Nintendo can ship that many.

Sandfox

That didn't stop MK8D for selling well. I mean, they could have easily packaged this game as "the original plus all the Wii U DLC" like other late ports did.

That's Mario Kart though and they probably would have done the same thing there if the the game/DLC came out later.

casiopao

Vita LTD 5.633.907

The problem is shortages. I cant see Ninty solving the shortages problem when soo many other company is competing for the same items.

So from 200+ sold a week to 300+ a week?^-^

Mario007

serious question, what are people playing on their PS VRs?

what sort of system seller does it have?

In Japan on worldwide? Worldwide Farpoint just came up and performed pretty damn well. Otherwise there's a lot of smaller digital games that pop up for which we don't get a lot of data.

This won't happen because of the shortage. Under 30k a week is just too low for a new system.

Sorry for my poor english.

I think the supply will improve, but we should wait to see if it can outsell Wii U this year before we think about it outselling Vita.

Your English is fine

Top Bottom