• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2017 (May 22 - May 28)

Alrus

What's sad about it? A lot us are genuinely just interested in sales. I find the numbers, trends, predictions and everything else that following sales involves interesting and fun. Sales threads are about discussing sales. Official threads and game threads are for discussing the games. If you want to find people who are excited to play various games than NPD, media create and pal charts aren't the place to look. You should look to official threads if that's what you want.

There are plenty of games I have no interest in playing but I'm still interested in how they'll sell and what impact they'll have on the market.

Again, not talking about this thread specifically. You act like I'm new here heh.

You need only look as far as Aeana's post with regards to DQ not too long ago on the matter. Hundreds of pages for an announcement/argument over platform, two pages for any new information. If it weren't for the argumentative fights over platform, you'd think that GAF didn't actually care about the game at all.

Most posters on GAF aren't from Japan. It's hard to be excited about a game which we don't even know is coming to the west (and if it does it could be months or years later).

Again, not talking about this thread specifically. You act like I'm new here heh.

I'm not acting like you're new, I'm just responding to that specific post. Again though I still don't see what sad about being excited about sales even if you're not interested in a game. If you mean console fanboys getting excited because a 3rd party game is announced exclusively for their platform I can understand I guess.

I don't currently plan to buy a PS4 but I still think it's awesome seeing horizon sell so well. I probably won't get DQ11 but I still want to see it sell really well. There are plenty of games where I'm interested in how it sells despite having no plans of playing it. You won't see me in the official threads for those games or threads discussing gameplay but I will post in announcement threads or sales threads about them.

*high five*

👐🏾👐🏾👐🏾

I'm speaking about this forum in general, not this specific thread. I mean when you see people cheering for the westernized (aka dumbed down) MH rumors, you know they're not really fans of the game.

I dunno. I'm more open minded about Westernized MH if it's good. The problem normally is when Japanese developers "Westernise" their games that's code for "make it suck". But if there is still more traditional MH I don't care if they experiment.

And I have hundreds of hours logged into MH, the only one I skipped since Tri is Generations and I'm picking up XX as soon as it releases in Europe.

Generations is a good game to skip. It's basically 4U but worse format and extremely easy. I'm all the way in for HD XX though.

Heh, all the DQ XI threads about gameplay systems barely gather any attention meanwhile speculation of DQ not releasing on the Switch this year gets a ton of discussion going.

I dunno. DQ11 is something I'm gonna play when it comes out but actually have zero interest in reading about. The platform discussion is more exciting than the game details for me frankly. As long as it's good that's basically all I need to know. It's not like some multiplayer game of massive depth so I dont care about a mounting system and breaking pots.

Vena

Most posters on GAF aren't from Japan. It's hard to be excited about a game which we don't even know is coming to the west (and if it does it could be months or years later).

I don't buy this argument. I think the majority of GAF doesn't actually give a hoot much as the majority of the west doesn't actually give a hoot about the brand.

The platform decisions guarantee a western release and the information is translated in those threads. If it were translated to hieroglyphics I'd accept that, ya okay, it'd be hard for most of GAF to get involved but its in English and we can (one would assume given the medium) read.

If people were actually and actively interested, they'd actually have discussions on this stuff. I don't buy these excuses being put forth for the game at all. I find it all the more baffling when we frequently have/had tens of pages of discussion over *no one knows when this will release in the west* Persona 5 over random small things like the menu style (just as a choice example that is recent), or other titles.

Like, I'll use myself as an example, I used to be more involved with DQXI threads but, admittedly, after playing VII and VIII, I am kind of "full" and have since greatly reduced my involvement in the threads as my interest waned for the time being. With most of the update threads also being dead for discussion, I generally just browse, read, and move on.

I mean, if you think pages of MH (edit: and DQ I guess) platform discussion only happens in these threads...

I mean it obviously doesn't but like I don't get why the MH discussion irritates people so much honestly. If anything the publishers should be more explicit so people aren't wondering and wondering.

Instead of Capcom saying "handhelds are not popular in the west and that makes it harder to grow the franchise" just say it's coming to consoles.

It's so god damn needless. Just tell us what's what. Is XX:HD coming to the West soon? Yes or no? Like they fuel all this shit themselves.

Safe to say most people who post about MH don't play MH, me included.
True, but at least people are talking about it and getting others curious too. I have read here on GAF and on social media that MHXX will be their first MH game.

All the buzz MHXX caused when it was announced is still in effect even to this day. People discussing the series on the daily keeps the mindshare high. Most games get announced and forgotten days after, but not Monster Hunter.

Please make more avatar bets, the free marketing is welcome.

gICS94y.gif

I don't buy this argument. I think the majority of GAF doesn't actually give a hoot much as the majority of the west doesn't actually give a hoot about the brand.

The platform decisions guarantee a western release and the information is translated in those threads. If it were translated to hieroglyphics I'd accept that, ya okay, it'd be hard for most of GAF to get involved but its in English and we can (one would assume given the medium) read.

If people were actually and actively interested, they'd actually have discussions on this stuff. I don't buy these excuses being put forth for the game at all. I find it all the more baffling when we frequently have/had tens of pages of discussion over *no one knows when this will release in the west* Persona 5 over random small things like the menu style (just as a choice example that is recent), or other titles.

Like, I'll use myself as an example, I used to be more involved with DQXI threads but, admittedly, after playing VII and VIII, I am kind of "full" and have since greatly reduced my involvement in the threads as my interest waned for the time being. With most of the update threads also being dead for discussion, I generally just browse, read, and move on.

This is a whole other discussion about why DQ has always struggled in the west. Not all games have even released in the west and most times you end up waiting for ages after the Japanese release. It's hardly conducive to building a fan base. When exactly is DQ11 coming to the west? I'll be honest I haven't followed closely enough so if a release date has been announced I obviously missed it.

Fularu

Banned
I mean it obviously doesn't but like I don't get why the MH discussion irritates people so much honestly. If anything the publishers should be more explicit so people aren't wondering and wondering.

Instead of Capcom saying "handhelds are not popular in the west and that makes it harder to grow the franchise" just say it's coming to consoles.

It's so god damn needless. Just tell us what's what. Is XX:HD coming to the West soon? Yes or no? Like they fuel all this shit themselves.
It irritates people because it's the exact same discussion every single week by the exact same posters since 2011 and the move to 3DS.

It irritates people because it's the exact same discussion every single week by the exact same posters since 2011 and the move to 3DS.

We weren't having heated MH debates every week from when 3U and 4 were announced. But anyway, use ignore if it bothers you that much. This is one of the biggest franchises in Japan. Where it goes is relevant. What would you rather be discussing? Please lead us.

Fularu

Banned
We weren't having heated MH debates every week from when 3U and 4 were announced. But anyway, use ignore if it bothers you that much. This is one of the biggest franchises in Japan. Where it goes is relevant. What would you rather be discussing? Please lead us.
The actual sales, sales news, trends of the japanese market

Not when/if MH will grace the PS4 because "mh is a sony franchise!!!!11!!11" week in, week out. I don't really bother reading those threads now because they always devolve into PS4 MH5 and oregano's moodswings (but that is fine, he has heart and actually cares)

It's the slowest period of the year sales wise. The switch is still getting small shipments and there isn't big software releasing. It doesn't leave much to discuss. These threads would probably be dead after a few days if not for the MH stuff. I don't mind, the first few days after numbers are announced you get some interesting discussions, numbers, graphs and so on. Then as discussion dies down you tend to get more talk about things like MH. I don't think it's a big deal.

The actual sales, sales news, trends of the japanese market

Not when/if MH will grace the PS4 because "mh is a sony franchise!!!!11!!11" week in, week out. I don't really bother reading those threads now because they always devolve into PS4 MH5 and oregano's moodswings (but that is fine, he has heart and actually cares)

I feel like we actually do discuss that stuff in this thread but meh, this is pointlessly circular so w/e. I don't think it's a big deal that a MH debate happens every week. Shrug. When the platforms are announced everything will settle down.

Alrus

I feel like we actually do discuss that stuff in this thread but meh, this is pointlessly circular so w/e. I don't think it's a big deal that a MH debate happens every week. Shrug. When the platforms are announced everything will settle down.

It really won't settle down. The talks didn't suddenly stop when MH3G and MH4 were announced for 3DS. You still had a lot of discussion about MH eventually coming to the Vita because Capcom didn't use the "Portable" names for the 3DS games and stuff like that. I don't see how it'll be any different this time regardless of the platforms announced.

casiopao

oh well, in the past I never imagined that a new nintendo system would have games such as mario, mario kart, smash bros, zelda, something yoshi, something kirby...

ah! this time there is splatoon, yeah!!!!!!

Moor oh moor. Still petty about Vita's fate huh.^_^

Making a port of Ultra Sun/Moon on Switch is not killing 3DS. The question is not why Nintendo release game on 3DS, it's why Nintendo don't support Switch. I didn't expect Nintendo to put a brand new Pokemon on Switch this year, but at least they can throw their loyal fans that buy their new console day one some bones, instead of "you thought you're not gonna use your 240p trash again didn't you lol"

Nintendo dont support Switch...... hyperbole everywhere lol.

What platform provide u in the first year,
Zelda BoTW
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart 8 DX
Pokken DX
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicle 2

This is not adding third party at all too. Like Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario and Rabbids
Sonic series
Mon Hun XX

They literally don't need Pokemon at all this year when it is damn stacked.

casiopao

4 days left.

Capcom: Deep Down gonna Deep There (tm) /joke, hope for DMC5 since 2014-2016, REmake2 doesn't hurt, and Dragon's Dogma 2 at low base bet. MH5 not ready yet.

Konami: MGSurvive?

SQEN: "Insider (in gaf)" said DQXI (depend on Saito flying to LA or not this week), but I says Front Mission (That one that got Armoured Core producer doing it long time ago).

Nintendo: Everyone eyes on Mario, but all I want are Xeno2 and FE, TMS too please god.

Bandai Namco: Ni no Kuni 2.

SEGA: Nothing too big, Sonic, Yakuza, 13th Sentinel, etc.

Sony: SIREN3.

Dragon Dogma 2 is pipe dream lol. Unless there is money hats it wont happen any time soon.

Deep Down is deep in hell lol.

Front Mission is develop by Armored Core devs? Damn S-E is still as idiot as before. Evolved is not bad enough huh.

Siren is still alive lol?^^

Kanann

Dragon Dogma 2 is pipe dream lol. Unless there is money hats it wont happen any time soon.

Front Mission is develop by Armored Core devs? Damn S-E is still as idiot as before. Evolved is not bad enough huh.

90% of that list will never show up in our universe.

ps. Toyama want to do another SIREN.

casiopao

90% of that list will never show up in our universe.

ps. Toyama want to do another SIREN.

Survive and ni no kuni 2 is going to happen for sure. But SE had been damn incompetent that i could see what u mention on Front Mission action game can happen again lol.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
oh well, in the past I never imagined that a new nintendo system would have games such as mario, mario kart, smash bros, zelda, something yoshi, something kirby...

ah! this time there is splatoon, yeah!!!!!!

Your posts seem to get worse week after week. You don't even respond to you what you quote.

Zelda BoTW
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart 8 DX
Pokken DX
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicle 2

Mario and Rabbids
Sonic series
Mon Hun XX

So ports ports and more ports?

Cool. I'll get mario.

I really hope we see more stuff at e3. I finished up Zelda (game of the forever) and splatoon and arms do absolutely nothing for me.

casiopao

So ports ports and more ports?

Cool. I'll get mario.

I really hope we see more stuff at e3. I finished up Zelda (game of the forever) and splatoon and arms do absolutely nothing for me.

We are talking about sales potential and MK8DX already shows that no one give a crap whether it is a port. As long as it is quality title it will sell well and pleased tons of Switch owner.

He mentioned 11 games and only three of them are ports.

Zelda/port of wii u game
Pokken
Mario kart
Monster hunter port of 3ds game

What is "sonic series" even?

Where are exclusives? FE heroes dynasty warriors game? I mean, if people like that kind of game sure more power to them.

I'm still waiting for those heavy Nintendo hitters. Mario, Zelda. Great start for first year. Then?

?!?!??

He made the lineup seem like it's some best in class lineup. It's not. (Unless you REALLY REALLY love arms and splatoon)

We are talking about sales potential and MK8DX already shows that no one give a crap whether it is a port. As long as it is quality title it will sell well and pleased tons of Switch owner.

Hey, I bought it to support. It's still a port.

And no I'm not down with PS4/XB old gen ports either. Their first year was sad too. I didn't even look twice in those consoles direction for a good 18 months and wouldn't have with switch either until I heard mario was coming within a year.

13ruce

Banned
Zelda/port of wii u game
Pokken
Mario kart
Monster hunter port of 3ds game

What is "sonic series" even?

Where are exclusives? FE heroes dynasty warriors game? I mean, if people like that kind of game sure more power to them.

I'm still waiting for those heavy Nintendo hitters. Mario, Zelda. Great start for first year. Then?

?!?!??

He made the lineup seem like it's some best in class lineup. It's not. (Unless you REALLY REALLY like arms and splatoon)

You don't enjoy Splatoon or Arms?
Did you try both test demo's?

Edit: i did not like the launch lineup of ps4 etc aswell i skipped splatoon at first but after trying the Splatoon 2 demo i realised i made a mistake with that.

Anyway not everyone likes all games ofcourse.

Vinnk

Rephrased from a post I made in another topic. But I get what the Pokemon Company did last night.

While I am upset that the is no Pokemon on Switch (watched the massive troll live last night) I think I get it now.

What is the install base on the 3DS? How about the Switch?

What ages bought the Switch? What age is the target for Pokemon? Sure there is overlap but buy and large the casual players don't have the Switch yet. The people I see with the Switch right now are people around my age, rarely kids. Gamefreak want to milk that kid audience one last time.

Personally I want everyone to cut ties with the 3DS and focus everything on the Switch. I personally am going to pass on Pokemon until there is one on Switch, but I know I am not the majority. I found that out this morning.

My students were already buzzing about the new 3DS Pokemon games. Even though the announcement was at 11:00pm last night news is already spreading. They are super pumped for it. These kids don't have a Switch but they do have 3DS systems. They will buy this. It will make GF a lot of money with very little effort. I don't like it. But business is business.

I still think a Switch version at the same time wouldn't be a bad idea. But perhaps if it looked too good it might dissuade 3DS only owners to buy the "ugly version". They might choose to wait until they have a Switch but by that time there will be some new hotness or they could buy it used. [I am less sure of this paragraph].

I as a gamer want software for my shiny new toy. But most Pokemon fans don't have and for now can't buy one if they want one.

I was in the "GF screwed up" mindset until I saw the reaction from the real Pokemon consumer base (Kids). And they are ecstatic. GF will make a lot of money on this.

You don't enjoy Splatoon or Arms?
Did you try both test demo's?

splatoon 1 I played quite a bit. Gave t a fair shake and let them get some content into it. Didn't like it.

I haven't tried a lot of the testpunch but from what I played with a mate did not like (to be fair I HATED The reveal for it too so I went in sour af)

Again, I understand people like these games but to claim they are some incredible Nintendo IPs I just strongly disagree with. To be fair, I am a SP first and MP unless incredible doesn't do much for me. Give me some playformers. Give me another fucking donkey Kong TF. Give me something other than ports and multiplayer focused games. I'm truly hoping mario is galaxy/64 tier quality.

you are seriously one of my favorite posters

deep hell LMAO

vareon

Rephrased from a post I made in another topic. But I get what the Pokemon Company did last night.

While I am upset that the is no Pokemon on Switch (watched the massive troll live last night) I think I get it now.

What is the install base on the 3DS? How about the Switch?

What ages bought the Switch? What age is the target for Pokemon? Sure there is overlap but buy and large the casual players don't have the Switch yet. The people I see with the Switch right now are people around my age, rarely kids. Gamefreak want to milk that kid audience one last time.

Personally I want everyone to cut ties with the 3DS and focus everything on the Switch. I personally am going to pass on Pokemon until there is one on Switch, but I know I am not the majority. I found that out this morning.

My students were already buzzing about the new 3DS Pokemon games. Even though the announcement was at 11:00pm last night news is already spreading. They are super pumped for it. These kids don't have a Switch but they do have 3DS systems. They will buy this. It will make GF a lot of money with very little effort. I don't like it. But business is business.

I still think a Switch version at the same time wouldn't be a bad idea. But perhaps if it looked too good it might dissuade 3DS only owners to buy the "ugly version". They might choose to wait until they have a Switch but by that time there will be some new hotness or they could buy it used. [I am less sure of this paragraph].

I as a gamer want software for my shiny new toy. But most Pokemon fans don't have and for now can't buy one if they want one.

I was in the "GF screwed up" mindset until I saw the reaction from the real Pokemon consumer base (Kids). And they are ecstatic. GF will make a lot of money on this.

I had a good deal of friends who reacted with "oh good, it's still on 3DS". No matter how good the Switch is, it's still a $300 device that is hard to find now. The best scenario, for people like us, is a 3DS/Switch title but really, as of now Switch doesn't need Pokemon and Pokemon couldn't be exclusively on Switch.

Vinnk

Again, I understand people like these games but to claim they are some incredible Nintendo IPs I just strongly disagree with.

Arms is to be determined but are you claiming that Splatoon is not an incredible Nintendo IP? This year this IP is going to outsell everything not named Dragon Quest, Mario or Monster Hunter.

I had a good deal of friends who reacted with "oh good, it's still on 3DS". No matter how good the Switch is, it's still a $300 device that is hard to find now. The best scenario, for people like us, is a 3DS/Switch title but really, as of now Switch doesn't need Pokemon and Pokemon couldn't be exclusively on Switch.

I doubt GF could even get a Switch port out fast enough to make the november release tbh. So its irrelevant.

Why is nobody in this thread discussing Konami? Its all capcom capcom capcom but how is Konami gonna make good money off gaming now?

With good business acumen that customers can support?

Whats the future of the metal gear franchise now?

I think Metal gear should be a good example to all the people who talk crap about a SAKURAI-LESS SMASH.

random25

Arms is to be determined but are you claiming that Splatoon is not an incredible Nintendo IP? This year this IP is going to outsell everything not named Dragon Quest, Mario or Monster Hunter.

If we're talking about Japan alone, I doubt Splatoon 2 would be under those 3 games even.

Sales wise? Yeah, most likely.

Quality? I mean, it's polished af and it's good at what it does I guess. It's just not what I want from Nintendo AT ALL (I'm in the minority, I get it, as stated)

13ruce

Banned
splatoon 1 I played quite a bit. Gave t a fair shake and let them get some content into it. Didn't like it.

I haven't tried a lot of the testpunch but from what I played with a mate did not like (to be fair I HATED The reveal for it too so I went in sour af)

Again, I understand people like these games but to claim they are some incredible Nintendo IPs I just strongly disagree with. To be fair, I am a SP first and MP unless incredible doesn't do much for me. Give me some playformers. Give me another fucking donkey Kong TF. Give me something other than ports and multiplayer focused games. I'm truly hoping mario is galaxy/64 tier quality.

Well everyone has their own taste ofcourse and i myself kinda disliked the ps4, Wii U and 3DS launch years, they were justified later down the road but the first year or so of these consoles were meh imo.

Anyway i am sure Mario will be very good it's made by the Galaxy producer. And i myself are more of a singleplayer guy too but i kinda like arms and splatoon. So i am fine/happy with this year i do hope tho with most of the MP games out of the way more singleplayer games will come in year 2. (maybe e3 will have some surprises or atleast i hope so:p)

What someone enjoys or not doesn't have to do if it's a big title. Splatoon is a huge seller this year.

I know i just wanted to know his opinion on those games.

Crom

Sales wise? Yeah, most likely.

Quality? I mean, it's polished af and it's good at what it does I guess. It's just not what I want from Nintendo AT ALL (I'm in the minority, I get it, as stated)

Splatoon had a really fun single player mode and Splatoon 2 seems to have raised the stakes. Did you try out the original's single player campaign?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
3DS DQXI, PS4 DQXI, 3DS MHXX, NSW MHXX, NSW Mario Odyssey

The only game that could outsell Splatoon 2 this year is 3DS DQXI, it might even sell more than combined MHXX if NSW MHXX doesn't go much higher than 500k.

Aters

Zelda BoTW
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart 8 DX
Pokken DX
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicle 2

Mario and Rabbids
Sonic series
Mon Hun XX

So? It never hurts to have a very popular game on your shinny new system. It's not like everyone is gonna care about every game on that list. Also 3DS is a piece of trash of a hardware. I just can't wait to throw it away.

Top Bottom