• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2013 (Jun 03 - Jun 09)

Rolf NB

So I wanted to take a different direction and discuss the PS4 for a bit.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but coming out of E3 the line-up of relevant to Japan titles consists of:

-Final Fantasy XV (~Fall 2014)
-Kingdom Hearts 3 (2015?)
-Deep Down (Fall 2014 at earliest)
-Metal Gear Solid V (2014, but also on PS3)

While these titles strike me as pretty solid overall, they're not exactly coming out near launch.

SCEJ seems to be indicating there's a TGS event coming up, and I feel they need to show a fair number of titles that are releasing sooner - even if they're smaller - if they don't want the system to stall for about a year before it gets going.
I suppose SCE deliberately funnels resources into a quick land grab in the west, where they feel the strongest competitive pressure. Maybe it's a fallacy to take Japan for granted, maybe not. In any case, PS3 is now at a point where they can just keep it trucking for a while mostly on the back of third parties.

hiska-kun

Media Create:

21./24. [NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800)
22./22. [PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.03.20} (¥3.980)
23./00. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (PSP the Best Reprint) <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.06} (¥1.800)
24./27. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.12.20} (¥7.980)
25./45. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.10.04} (¥7.980)
26./23. [3DS] Tamagotchi no Doki Doki Dream Omisecchi <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.05.23} (¥4.980)
27./30. [3DS] Puyo Puyo!! Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary (Special Price) <PZL> (Sega) {2012.12.13} (¥2.940)
28./33. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl <FTG> (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} (¥6.800)
29./29. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
30./28. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥5.980)
31./32. [PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.14} (¥6.280)
32./36. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.30} (¥6.980)
33./39. [3DS] Aikatsu! Cinderella Lesson <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.15} (¥5.040)
34./38. [WII] Wii Sports Resort with Wii Remote Plus # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2010.11.11} (¥5.800)
35./25. [WIU] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom) {2013.05.23} (¥4.990)
36./31. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.20} (¥8.190)
37./41. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.03.20} (¥7.980)
38./35. [PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Storm 3 <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.04.18} (¥7.480)
39./43. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy <ADV> (Level 5) {2013.02.28} (¥5.500)
40./00. [WII] Mario Kart Wii <RCE> (Nintendo) {2008.04.10} (¥5.800)
41./00. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.11.01} (¥3.980)
42./50. [WII] Kirby's Return to Dream Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.10.27} (¥5.800)
43./00. [3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.11.01} (¥4.980)
44./47. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition (Rockstar Classics) <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2012.11.22} (¥3.990)
45./37. [PSV] PhotoKano Kiss <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2013.04.25} (¥7.140)
46./00. [PS3] Winning Post 7 2013 <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.03.14} (¥7.560)
47./00. [3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star <ADV> (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} (¥4.800)
48./18. [PS3] Z/X: Zillions of Enemy X - Zetsukai no Crusade <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2013.05.23} (¥7.140)
49./00. [PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: All Star # <ACT> (Broccoli) {2013.03.07} (¥6.090)
50./00. [WIU] Nintendo Land <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥4.935)

Top 50

3DS - 17
PS3 - 12
PSP – 7
WII - 5
WIU – 4
PSV - 3
360 - 1
NDS – 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    354.000 |    463.000 |    592.000 | 19.464.000 | 19.854.000 |

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
first day sellthrough

[3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - 20%
[3DS] Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter: Albatross no Tsubasa - 20-30%
[360] Galaxy Force & Eschatos (Wonder Pack) - dead

That goes without saying as both XB and X360 are non factors there are well. Question is will it be below XB, i.e. < 500K LTD or ~360's LTD (1.6 mil)?

360 wasn't a non factor. It took many 3rd party exclusive games (mainly from PS3). This won't happen with he new Xbox. 500K or 1000K don't make any difference, the system will sell (way?) less than a million this time.

BriBri

first day sellthrough

360 wasn't a non factor. It took many 3rd party exclusive games (mainly from PS3). This won't happen with he new Xbox. 500K or 1000K don't make any difference, the system will sell (way?) less than a million this time.
I'm interested in what the 20% is of, but somehow I think I over-estimated that it might not be on with Donkey Kong:(

Damn, I think it's safe to say that the Vita, especially after Sony's E3 "showing," is pretty much done for.

I give the Wii U this holiday season (or maybe until Mario Kart 8) before I count it out.

Foshy

Damn, I think it's safe to say that the Vita, especially after Sony's E3 "showing," is pretty much done for.

I give the Wii U this holiday season (or maybe until Mario Kart 8) before I count it out.
There were like 30 Vita games on the E3 showfloor, people reported that it had a huge presence. Just not on the conference.

Jamix012

Here's a question to the sales agey of you. When was the last time a game topped 1 million in JP that wasn't one of the big 3? (Square, Nintendo, Capcom)

Kenka

first day sellthrough

Brutal. I hope this won't influence DKCR2 when it launches.

Bruno MB

Here's a question to the sales agey of you. When was the last time a game topped 1 million in JP that wasn't one of the big 3? (Square, Nintendo, Capcom)

Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! Spark / Bomber, and that's according to Famitsu because Media Create has it below the million mark.

According to both trackers, the last game outside those 3 publishers that topped one million units would be Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire / Blizzard.

Mr Swine

Banned
Hmm, why are people sad about the first day sell through? Hasn't there been a few games that have sold really well despite very low sell through?

And it will continue to rise thanks to Smash 4 reveal.

Legend.

I wonder if Puyo goes HD this year? It's about time to retire the DS/PSP/Wii SKUs, maybe replace them with PS3/Vita/Wii U?
Next year most likely. IIRC historically Sonic Team has taken three years to develop a new title in the series and about two years for the anniversary expansions. Not sure if they put a separate team on developing Puyo Puyo Quest.

Their allergy to HD consoles is really bizarre. A Puyo Puyo Tsuu HD Remix was a complete no brainier last gen but instead they opted to port Arcade Tsuu onto Virtual Console with an added netplay wrapper. Not to mention they announced 20th Anniversary for the DS when the 3DS had already launched in Japan, and when they did put out a late 3DS port they didn't bother to do so for the Vita as well.

There were like 30 Vita games on the E3 showfloor, people reported that it had a huge presence. Just not on the conference.

A bunch of indie games aren't going to do anything to save the platform. Sony has played their hand with the only price drop they can do and they are back below 10k. We'll see if they have enough to keep the platform at very niche level the rest of the year. If I was Sony I would be begging Square for the KH HD releases.

Spiegel

Now that we know most of the lineup for both the WiiU and Vita for this fiscal year I really can't see any of the two getting close to their forecasts.

9M for the WiiU is an insane number.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Now that we know most of the lineup for both the WiiU and Vita for this fiscal year I really can't see any of the two getting close to their forecasts.

Agreed. At first glance SM3D World is rather underwhelming and "Spring" for Mario Kart probably means April or May.

Do they plan to sell 9 million this fiscal year, or get to 9 million?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2013.06.20}

[3DS] Kuma-Tomo <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥4.980)
[3DS] Sayonara Umihara Kawase <ACT> (Agatsuma Entertainment) (¥4.980)
[3DS] Ninja Jajamaru-kun: Sakura-hime to Karyu no Himitsu <ACT> (Hamster) (¥4.980)

[PSV] Kami Jigen Idol Neptune PP # <ACT> (Compile Heart) (¥6.279)
[PSV] Kami Jigen Idol Neptune PP [Limited Edition] <ACT> (Compile Heart) (¥8.379)
[PSV] Winning Post 7 2013 <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥6.090)
[PSV] FIFA 13 (EA Best Hits) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥2.940)

[PSP] Ro-Kyu-Bu! Lost Secret <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Storm Lover 2nd # <ADV> (D3 Publisher) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Storm Lover 2nd [Limited Edition] <ADV> (D3 Publisher) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Koibana Days # <SLG> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Koibana Days [Limited Edition] <SLG> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)
[PSP] FIFA 13 (EA Best Hits) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥2.940)

[PS3] The Last of Us <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥5.980)
[PS3] Grand Strategy: Dai Toua Kouboushi - Rise and Fall of East Asia # <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥7.875)
[PS3] Grand Strategy: Dai Toua Kouboushi - Rise and Fall of East Asia [Limited Edition] <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥9.975)

[360] Batman: Arkham - Twin Pack <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) (¥3.990)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Deep Down wasn't at E3 actually. Capcom had nothing for PS4 in fact.

PlayStation 4
The Evil Within (Bethesda Games / Tango Gameworks)

Oh sorry I meant that as a cumulative statement about any PS4 games that might move units in Japan, since Deep Down looks like a fusion of Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls, both of which did well in the region.

I did forget The Evil Within exists, and it is an interesting wild card, but so far I'm not seeing any especially compelling benefit to the PS4 version, and if it's not launching at the same time I don't see it doing much on PS4.

This holiday will be interesting to see where the console games go (assuming PS4 is released this year). I get the impression that most Japanese developers are perfectly fine developing for the PS3 a whole longer- best case short term scenario for Sony might be PS3/PS4 releases.
As it stands right now, I don't feel any platform will offer the PS3 experience to consumers or the PS3 audience to developers this holiday season, so yeah I agree that most of the Japanese console support will be on PS3.

I also agree that until at least Fall 2014, the best Sony can really expect out of Japan is notable cross generation titles with maybe one or two exceptions at best.

Should we wait for TGS to get a better picture of how Japanese devs are going to support the next-gen consoles?

For anything smaller releasing between the PS4's launch and Fall 2014, I wouldn't expect to see anything announced until at least August when the road to TGS starts. There could be an exception or two, but I'm not imagining any kind of volume until then.

That said, I'm wouldn't expect a bevy of big sellers coming out before Fall 2014 to be announced for the system regardless. At best I think we're looking at mid tier sellers.

I suppose SCE deliberately funnels resources into a quick land grab in the west, where they feel the strongest competitive pressure. Maybe it's a fallacy to take Japan for granted, maybe not. In any case, PS3 is now at a point where they can just keep it trucking for a while mostly on the back of third parties.

At this point, the impression I'm walking away with from the Japanese market is that the Wii U and PS4 seem to be competing far less with each other and far more with the 3DS (and what life is left in the PS3).

Mario, Donkey Kong, and Smash aren't going to be replacement products for Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear, and Deep Down, and the reverse is also true. However, you can get major platformers, jrpgs, and hunting games on the 3DS, along with a wide variety of games in other genres.

I guess my takeaway would be that I don't really see the sales of the Wii U and PS4 notably impacting each other so much as being reflections of their own libraries versus the 3DS. They could conceivably both go up, both stay down, or generally seem to operate with no real effect on one another compared to the impact major software releases have on hardware. An example of this not being true would be the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, where big new software releases had a smaller and smaller effects the more the PlayStation 3 took off, even if the Xbox 360 version was superior.

DaBoss

What about the big Japanese pubs/devs? Would it be reasonable to assume they have more to reveal at TGS? I'm thinking it won't happen.

L Thammy

Will Square Enix's franchises be weaker at the start of next gen than where they started this gen?

Final Fantasy XIII-2 didn't match up to its predecessor, and there doesn't seem to be many big Final Fantasy title released recently (Type-0?). Compare to how the brand was maintained on the PS2.

Kingdom Hearts 3DS was a flop, but that may not reflect poorly on the series as a whole. Although the time gap between Birth by Sleep (the last big entry) and the new one will be fairly long.

And it will continue to rise thanks to Smash 4 reveal.

Legend.

the reason is another... not legal

another reason is a used copy is priced very high due to high demand (see reason 1)

another reason, people are buying Wii games due to the lack of Wii U releases,

another reason is considering how cheap is a used Wii, people are buying wii games and don't want to switch to Wii U (you can buy a Wii and Smash for less than 10,000yen)
also consider how well sold the last Taiko entry, less than 10,000yen and you can let your son play the game which is popular among his friends

the reason is another... not legal

another reason is a used copy is priced very high due to high demand (see reason 1)

another reason, people are buying Wii games due to the lack of Wii U releases,

another reason is considering how cheap is a used Wii, people are buying wii games and don't want to switch to Wii U (you can buy a Wii and Smash for less than 10,000yen)
also consider how well sold the last Taiko entry, less than 10,000yen and you can let your son play the game which is popular among his friends
You manage to turn something positive into a Wii U negative, lol well done.

Will Square Enix's franchises be weaker at the start of next gen than where they started this gen?

Final Fantasy XIII-2 didn't match up to its predecessor, and there doesn't seem to be many big Final Fantasy title released recently (Type-0?). Compare to how the brand was maintained on the PS2.

Kingdom Hearts 3DS was a flop, but that may not reflect poorly on the series as a whole. Although the time gap between Birth by Sleep (the last big entry) and the new one will be fairly long.
Definitely, I'd be surprised if FFXV does much more than a mil, considering when it releases and the PS4's userbase.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm expecting things like Dynasty Warriors at the least.

Yup. It will definitely have a musou game or 2.

Probably Riiidge Racer.

Something Gundam related.

Honestly though, not sure if Sony will have a real heavy hitter for Japan at launch.

You manage to turn something positive into a Wii U negative, lol well done.

Definitely, I'd be surprised if FFXV does much more than a mil, considering when it releases and the PS4's userbase.

The ps2 had an install base of 4.5 million and FFX managed to do 1.8 million in its first week.

If the PS4 builds a sufficient userbase (4+ million) I'm sure FFXV will do much more than 1 million.

PSO2 could come to the PS4.

When is MGS Ground Zeroes releasing. I have no idea whats going on with MGSV and its releases.

DaBoss

Honestly though, not sure if Sony will have a real heavy hitter for Japan at launch.

I don't feel that is something Sony really has to worry about. It seems there is some life in the PS3 in terms of software selling and they can wait for the mid-tier Japanese devs to get accustomed to the PS4. I feel like Japan will adopt the console slowly in the beginning and then it will sell better further in its life.

The ps2 had an install base of 4.5 million and FFX managed to do 1.8 million in its first week.

If the PS4 builds a sufficient userbase (4+ million) I'm sure FFXV will do much more than 1 million.

PSO2 could come to the PS4.

When is MGS Ground Zeroes releasing. I have no idea whats going on with MGSV and its releases.
Its coming out much earlier than FFX or FFXIII, I don't think it'll have a userbase of 4.5M.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/7176246.html

God Eater Burst reached 700k shipment. Original one is at 617k with Famitsu data. Is it the best selling Monhun clone in the market? I wonder how much GE2 will sell.

I'm thinking worse than either. First of all the PSP is on its last legs so launching a huge game there seems like a mistake at this point. Second MH is actually coming out this year which while it doesn't mean God Eater will bomb there will certainly be a lot of hunting fans busy this year. It certainly has the potential to be Vita's biggest title if marketed right. Speaking of which at this point what would we are decent sized games (150k+) left for Vita and Wii U this year?

I'm thinking worse than either. First of all the PSP is on its last legs so launching a huge game there seems like a mistake at this point. Second MH is actually coming out this year which while it doesn't mean God Eater will bomb there will certainly be a lot of hunting fans busy this year. It certainly has the potential to be Vita's marketed right. Speaking of which at this point what would we are decent sized games (150k+) left for Vita and Wii U this year?
Pikmin, NSLU, SM3DW, Zelda:WWHD. Wonderful 101 has potential.

Toukiden, Dragon's Crown, Super Robot Taisen, Ragnarok Odyssey. TBH I'm not sure how these will sell, but they're the biggest Vita games.

Oh and FFX/X-2 should also come out I'm guessing.

Top Bottom