• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2014 (Jun 23 - Jun 29)

Takao

Banned
At 121K has the Vita TV outsold the PSP Go?

Media Create's last reported total for PSPgo was 175.855.

Yokai Watch 2 Direct in about 10 hours

Monster Hunter manage the 3 million goals I wonder if YW2 can beat the first game

these are the types of hits Vita needs

people forget that Vita was deader than anything during its OLED version days now it is selling very well and steady maybe those hits will come over to Vita soon

Yokai Watch alone would've done nothing for Vita. Look at how LBX W performed compared to the PSP and 3DS versions. It would've needed a lot more children's software to make an ecosystem that could support it. Something like that always made sense on 3DS due to Pokemon and Mario bringing that audience in.

Vita does need broad appeal software. But getting that is easier said than done.

You're forgetting Pokemon
And other beasts the 3ds managed to secure

Well yes. I'm not saying Vita would be number one with just Monster Hunter, but it would have really helped move more units. That might have helped secure some other games (at least getting some games to go multiplatform).

Speaking of Pokemon, I'm surprised Sony didn't try to do something similar on the PSP. On the Vita you have a good deal of Monster Hunter like games, but there's no real Pokemon like games out there.

Vita sells decently one week after selling badly for the past two months, and almost all of its lifespan, and suddenly selling 'very well?'

all things considered, the market in Japan is lack luster so saying doing very well is in the context that it is performing much better in the past few months than the years before

L Thammy

Well yes. I'm not saying Vita would be number one with just Monster Hunter, but it would have really helped move more units. That might have helped secure some other games (at least getting some games to go multiplatform).

It isn't wrong or anything, but Vita would sell better with Monster Hunter isn't much of a revelation.

Speaking of Pokemon, I'm surprised Sony didn't try to do something similar on the PSP. On the Vita you have a good deal of Monster Hunter like games, but there's no real Pokemon like games out there.

Dragon Quest Monsters is on 3DS, is Nintendo's own Fossil Fighters. I think Toriko Gourmet Monsters for 3DS is like this as well. Not sure how well Digimon Cyber Sleuth on Vita compares since Digimon games are all over the place.

EDIT: How did I forget Youkai Watch. Maybe Medarot too? There isn't a lack of "mon" games.

Bruno MB

Japanese market flat for H1 2014; PS3 sales beating Wii U

An increase in hardware sales and a decrease in software has left the Japanese games market flat for the first half of 2014, according to Famitsu data.

Hardware sales grew 6.4 per cent compared to the same period last year while software sales declined 3.8 per cent, leaving the overall market up just 0.1 per cent.

3DS is the best selling console so far in 2014, with sales nearly double that of nearest rival the Vita. PS4 sales are double that of the PS3 which itself is ahead of Nintendo’s Wii U.

1. 3DS – 1,079,166 units
2. PS Vita – 639,730 units
3. PS4 – 613,785 units
4. PS3 – 300,386 units
5. Wii U – 291,605 units
6. PSP – 80,251 units
7. Xbox 360 – 6,421 units
8. Wii – 6,194 units

And here are the lifetime sales for each platform:

1. PSP –19,688,744 units total
2. 3DS – 15,773,177 units total
3. Wii –12,744,273 units total
4. PS3 –9,868,886 units total
5. PS Vita –2,914,869 units total
6. Wii U –1,810,032 units total
7. Xbox 360 –1,613,980 units total
8. PS4 –613,785 units total

Despite only arriving in May, Mario kart 8 is already the fourth best selling game of the year. PS4 exclusive Knack is the eighth and Bandai Namco’s Dark Souls II is the tenth.

Six of the H1 2014 Top Ten are 3DS titles.

1. Yokai Watch (3DS): 849,027 (1,135,480 units total)
2. Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi (3DS): 739,032 (739,032 units total)
3. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS) 633,695 (633,695 units total)
4. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U): 512,467 (512,467 units total)
5. Pocket Monsters X/Y (3DS): 416,864 (4,393,693 units total)
6. Puzzle and Dragons (3DS): 411,992 (1,417,689 units total)
7. Mario Party: Island Tour (3DS): 404,666 (404,666 units total)
8. Knack (PS4): 398,685 (398,685 units total)
9. Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme VS Full Boost (PS3) 367,354 (367,354 units total)
10. Dark Souls II (PS3) 335,226 (335,226 units total)

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/japanese-market-flat-for-h1-2014-ps3-sales-beating-wii-u/0134936

Atram

I would not have expected 3DS and Vita sales to be that close last year.

Also this was supposed to be WiiU's best year as it has it biggest exclusives coming out and yet its still down YOY. What is happening?

to be fair, the only good exklusive released this year for WiiU was MK8 and that was 1 month ago.

to be fair, the only good exklusive released this year for WiiU was MK8 and that was 1 month ago.

Thats its biggest exclusive though.

So far this year WiiU has had DKC and MK8 as exclusives.

2013 up till May was even worse for the WiiU in terms of software yet its tracking ahead.

Atram

2013 up till May was even worse for the WiiU in terms of software yet its tracking ahead.

I think for the Hardware SSB will drive more and is more important,(makes sense because season).

Let´s see if Amiibo can do a little bit more for the WiiU in Japan. I know the Console is near Death but not finnished at all.

What exactly is the bargain edition of GTA V? Is that Rockstar trying to snub Ubi's Watch Dogs sales by re-releasing the same week?

A reduced price, not a budget release
actually is 5,390yen and when it was released in October it was more than 7,000yen iirc

sörine

Banned

DKCR2 suffered from platform overload. MK8 was a big success but it was only a Pikmin sized hardware mover.

Wii U is up going by FY comparisons though at least. It's also beating PS3 and on the verge of beating PS4 (probably next week) by that metric.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

On the other hand, Wii U came off its launch into 2013, right now, Wii U is outselling Wii U 2013 at the same time. This is not to say Wii U's sales are good, just to remind you that the comparison is not exactly fair.

I was wondering why Sony didn't release the Super Value Pack along with Freedom Wars, but now I have my answer!

KIIaiqEl.jpg

Out next week. (PSP version too)

Daschysta

Smash is going to be huge, and if wiiu can stay 10k on MK8's back until captain toad, Bayo 2 and Hyrule Warriors it will be a respectable year for WII U. PS4 will have a hard time catching if it already has a 1.2 million unit lead, is outselling it now and will have an infinitely bigger holiday boost.

On the other hand, Wii U came off its launch into 2013, right now, Wii U is outselling Wii U 2013 at the same time. This is not to say Wii U's sales are good, just to remind you that the comparison is not exactly fair.

No its not. Thats my entire point. Even with MK8 and DKC WiiU is down year on year:

2013: 317k
2014: 291k

I've just noticed this now and found it surprising.

Unless I'm reading the YTD column wrong on the front page.

No its not. Thats my entire point. Even with MK8 and DKC WiiU is down year on year:

What was Wii U selling just after the holidays in Jan 2013? It had a big launch and naturally holidays are very kind to Nintendo, but when did the sales start to look bleak in 2013?

Could explain it. This past holiday's sales cooled off right around the start of 2014.

I think he is talking about weekly. It's doing better now weekly then it was 2013. Overall, it's still down like you posted.

Busaiku

So anyone think Yokai Watch 2 has a shot at outdoing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and be the number 2 behind Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire?

Evenflow

Each week since MK8 launched the yoy sales have been doubled. It's closing that gap fast, and with Smash is going to have a monster holiday, probably double last holiday if the trend continues.

So yes the WiiU will be up big yoy, and probably have it's best year.

So anyone think Yokai Watch 2 has a shot at outdoing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and be the number 2 behind Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire?
I expect MH4U to sell at least as well as 4, so not me. I wouldn't be surprised if the former outsold ORAS either.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I expect MH4U to sell at least as well as 4, so not me. I wouldn't be surprised if the former outsold ORAS either.

Does 4U actually add so much that every person who bought MH4 would buy 4U? I'm not really up-to-date on these games, but it's basically just a big expansion right?

Each week since MK8 launched the yoy sales have been doubled. It's closing that gap fast, and with Smash is going to have a monster holiday, probably double last holiday if the trend continues.

So yes the WiiU will be up big yoy, and probably have it's best year.

You make it sound like MK8 did so much when in reality it did very little for WiiU hardware sales. 10k is what it did. Nintendo's biggest exclusive had the same effect as Pikmin 3.

Speaking of Pikmin 3, it got released in July last year, so those "doubled yoy sales" will be effectively cancelled. Whether WiiU is up yoy relies on its baseline sales and holiday sales but if it was to have a meaningful yoy increase the holidays are the only way that could happen.

Right now WiiU is looking a lot like GC in terms of yearly sales:

GCN vs WiiU

1) 930k - 627k (GC launched in March)
2) 1070k - 898k
3) 1115k - ???k

In fact its trailing GCN. I do expect a yoy increase but am now thinking its going to smaller. Probably not enough to beat GC.

Shengar

This guy say Freedom Wars feels unfinished and has tons of problems

http://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/29tt7d/freedom_wars_is_a_glass_half_empty_and_painfully/

> Literally unfinished story
> Full of fetch quests
> Post-story missions unlocked randomly, not though requirements.
> Broken stealth missions
> Terrible controls
> Dodging is broken
> Crap crafting system (largely dependent on randomness)
> Few content
> Terrible NPC AI
> Long loading times
etc etc

Hasemo from the Import Thread have answer to some of that complain

Well I never cared about Freedom Wars, sucks for everyone looking forward to it though.

I say we focus on God Eater 2, that one looks awesome. My Vita TV is ready.

Mr Swine

Banned
So FW was rushed? Won't that damage the brand in the long run? Probably would have been better to release it next year and iron out its problems

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet's retail chain preorders comparisons - Yokai Watch 2's run-to-the-million, as of Juky 5th, 2014

[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3 - 161pt + 145pt = 306pt
[3DS] Pokémon X / Y - 893pt + 867pt = 1760pt
[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 669pt + 512pt = 1181pt

extralite

YOY, as used in the NPD threads as well, is comparing the current time frame to the same one last year. Going by the Famitsu numbers you gave, Wii U is still 26k behind last year which means it needs to match last year's sales and add another 1k on average per week.

It currently is up YOY, over 3000 more this week compared to last year. So it is beating the needed average weekly sales by 2k. Both MK8 and SSB will boost again during the holidays making it quite likely that the holidays will beat the needed average excessively.

So it is very unlikely that Wii U will not be up YOY for the YTD as well by the end of the year.

MrHoot

Most of his answers are agreeing with the complaints, lol

But after feedback like that, it sounds like I'll just pass on that game. Some stuff could be fixed in a patch, but some of the fundamental stuff likely won't.

So FW was rushed? Won't that damage the brand in the long run? Probably would have been better to release it next year and iron out its problems

It's really not as bad as he makes it sound.

Yeah, there are some problems with it, some of them are genuinely annoying but after playing it, it really is still a very enjoyable game to play.

Think about it as suffering as the same syndrome as previous vita games like Soul Sac or gravity rush games though: Games with full of potential, who will still be enjoyed by a good majority but have some fundamental problems to really grow true legs.

It's no vita savior (nor do I think anyone expected it to be, honestly), but writing it off completely would be a foolish thing to do honestly.

L~A

Comgnet's retail chain preorders comparisons - Yokai Watch 2's run-to-the-million, as of Juky 5th, 2014

Holy hell, it just keeps getting more and more impressive. You really gotta wonder just how far it'll go. No wonder some retailers are calling YW the new "Pokémon" or "Monster Hunter".

Curious to see how sales will be in the upcoming weeks. YW1 had a decent opening, then sales managed to remain steady for months, until the holiday and the pre-anime sales boom with Christmas. I wonder at what level sales will stabilise this time around. What about the Christmas boom for YW2? What impact on 3DS sales?

Really interesting weeks up ahead :)

Does 4U actually add so much that every person who bought MH4 would buy 4U? I'm not really up-to-date on these games, but it's basically just a big expansion right?

I don't really follow these games either but I'm just going by past examples. 3G and 2G outsold their originals.

L Thammy

If it's bad enough, it would damage the brand in the short run, i.e. the coming weeks. Especially if multiplayer is a big selling point.

So, can we expect line pics for Yokai Watch 2 or is that too much?

hiska-kun

I'd like to take pictures from lines but i have class in the morning and i work in the afternoon that day, so I can't do it.

But always there're blogs and Famitsu.

YOY, as used in the NPD threads as well, is comparing the current time frame to the same one last year. Going by the Famitsu numbers you gave, Wii U is still 26k behind last year which means it needs to match last year's sales and add another 1k on average per week.

It currently is up YOY, over 3000 more this week compared to last year. So it is beating the needed average weekly sales by 2k. Both MK8 and SSB will boost again during the holidays making it quite likely that the holidays will beat the needed average excessively.

So it is very unlikely that Wii U will not be up YOY for the YTD as well by the end of the year.

Well of course I expect it to be yoy up, just wondering how much and surprised it isn't already.

Oh and as I said earlier Pikmin 3 released last year and gave an almost identical hardware boost to Mario so WiiU is going to fall behind by 50k or so at July.

L~A

I'd like to take pictures from lines but i have class in the morning and i work in the afternoon that day, so I can't do it.

But always there're blogs and Famitsu.

Don't forget 4Gamer.net, they usually got some nice line pics, too.

By the way, do we have any info on the original shipment for the game? Pretty sure Level-5 learned their lesson and will try to avoid shortages as much as possible, so I'm expecting a big ass shipment... and some shortages at launch.

And for Christmas, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo had a Youkai Watch 2 bundle, especially if they do launch a new 3DS model. Makes me wonder if they'll do the "Premium Pack" this year too.

Top Bottom