• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2015 (Jun 22 - Jun 28)

This. It REALLY took me by surprise since NO ONE could've predicted 7th Dragon III being on 3DS as opposed to Vita, when Sega put games like Phantasy Star Nova on it and stuff like Hero Bank on 3DS.

I would think that was entirely on Sega since they own the IP and dictate where it goes, but I can't help recall that Imageepoch really had lots of faith in 3DS, so is it possible they were allowed to influence the platform choice?

I'm more surprised it's being made at all to be honest. I thought SEGA were done with small-to-mid-sized console titles these days, other than Sonic and Miku.

I have to wonder how much of a hand Imageepoch had in getting it made at all.

Wiggy

Except they're totally fine with having one viable platform as long as that platform is the PS4.

sörine;170992058 said:
Right. Diversifying was more what they did last gen with FF, DQ, KH, Star Ocean, Ogre, Mana, Nier and other franchises spread across PS3, PSP, DS, Wii and 360. No one system had the majority of support or all major games.

You think they wont support NX? FFT0, FFXV, KH3 are on X1. WOFF, SAGA, DQH are coming to vita. Wii U got DQ10. 3DS has had a LOT of support.

Funny since Square & Enix heydays were on NES, then SNES, then PS1, then PS2 (only one viable platform per generation).

Japanese console industry has greatly changed since NES-PS2 days unfortunately :(.

Well yes, I think they're obviously insane and/or extremely bullish about their odds in the West.

I mean who would look at the PS4's sales in the OP and greenlight this based on those:
-Final Fantasy XV
-Kingdom Hearts 3
-Final Fantasy VII Remake
-Nier 2
-Dissidia: Final Fantasy (also on Arcade)
-Star Ocean 5 (also on PS3)
-Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (also on PS3/Vita)
-World of Final Fantasy (also on Vita)

Project Setsuna is also asking for Unity experience, so it's unlikely to be a 3DS game.

Like to illustrate how far off the deep end Square Enix is here, World of Final Fantasy is a Pokemon competitor and it's launching on PS4/Vita.

Yep, SE fucking rule!

Mario007

Like to illustrate how far off the deep end Square Enix is here, World of Final Fantasy is a Pokemon competitor and it's launching on PS4/Vita.
To be fair World of Ff is as much a pokrmom competitor as was FF XIII-2, ie all they seem to share is the monster capturing mechanic.

Jigorath

Banned

Would they be better off launching it on 3DS where they have to actually compete against Pokemon?

Busaiku

Would they be better off launching it on 3DS where they have to actually compete against Pokemon?
They would.
The audience for those types of games are on 3DS. That's why something like Yokai Watch can be so successful.
Similarly, other types of games, like perverted games, enjoy more success on Vita than 3DS because the platform is abundant with those types games.
That's a reason why the hunting genre is in decline, because users are split up. They used to all be on PSP and were all bigger as a result.

Vena

Yes. Because there's an established audience for it.

World of FF is a confused move at best, aimless at worst.

To be fair World of Ff is as much a pokrmom competitor as was FF XIII-2, ie all they seem to share is the monster capturing mechanic.

DQ:Mon is on the 3DS (and mobile) as well. MH:Stories is coming to the 3DS for the same reason.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 27 2015

01./01. [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: White Kingdom <SLG> (Nintendo)
02./02. [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Black Kingdom <SLG> (Nintendo)
03./04. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo)
04./07. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
05./11. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Mojang AB)
06/.05. [PSV] Persona 4: Dancing All Night <ACT> (Atlus)
07./12. [3DS] Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games)
08./10. [PS4] Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition <ACT> (Capcom)
09./06. [PSV] Persona 4: Dancing All Night (Value Pack) <ACT> (Atlus)
10./09. [3DS] Return to PoPoLoCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale <RPG> (Marvelous)
11./00. [PSV] Zettai Geigeki Wars <ACT> (Acquire)
12./18. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment)
13./17. [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft)
14./08. [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward <RPG> (Square Enix)
15./15. [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: The Complete Experience {Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward} <RPG> (Square Enix)
16./27. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08}
17./03. [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Special Edition {Fire Emblem Fates: Black Kingdom Fire Emblem Fates: White Kingdom} <SLG> (Nintendo)
18./14. [PSV] Chaos;Child <ADV> (5pb.)
19./22. [3DS] Style Savvy 3: Kira Kira Code <ETC> (Nintendo)
20./31. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo)

Jigorath

Banned
They would.
The audience for those types of games are on 3DS. That's why something like Yokai Watch can be so successful.
Similarly, other types of games, like perverted games, enjoy more success on Vita than 3SS because the platform is abundant with those types games.
That's a reason why the hunting genre is in decline, because users are split up. They used to all be on PSP and were all bigger as a result.

The hunting genre fanbase moved to 3DS this gen yet God Eater found strong success on Vita. Toukiden and Freedom Wars have been both been successful as well. I'm not sure why Worlds of Final Fantasy can't do the same. And it was announced at E3 which makes me think Square is going to give it a big Western push making PS4 the logical home for it.

Again, if they're angling for a Western audience then PS4 is the smartest option.

ZeroXZee

Man, Nintendo is on a roll lately!

Vena

The hunting genre fanbase moved to 3DS this gen yet God Eater found strong success on Vita. Toukiden and Freedom Wars have been both been successful as well. I'm not sure why Worlds of Final Fantasy can't do the same. And it was announced at E3 which makes me think Square is going to give it a big Western push making PS4 the logical home for it.

Again, if they're angling for a Western audience then PS4 is the smartest option.

I don't really understand.

Why would a western push make this any less of a bad idea? There are zero (??) games of this type on the PS4, there is no audience for it. How did those MonHun clones do on the PS4? Not well. Audience is elsewhere and its not going to jump for the sole DQ:Mon clone when a system they own will continue to provide these games.

And a game like this isn't going to attract them across platforms and SKU boundaries (especially since these types of games are far more congruous with mobile/handheld play), those are enormous hurdles.

Jigorath

Banned
I don't really understand.

Why would a western push make this any less of a bad idea? There are zero (??) games of this type on the PS4, there is no audience for it. How did those MonHun clones do on the PS4? Not well. Audience is elsewhere and its not going to jump for the sole DQ:Mon clone when a system they own will continue to provide these games.

And a game like this isn't going to attract them across platforms and SKU boundaries (especially since these types of games are far more congruous with mobile/handheld play), those are enormous hurdles.

What are you talking about? I brought up the Monster Hunter clones as an example of a genre finding success on Vita despite hunting games being more popular elsewhere, obviously they weren't successful on PS4 and I never said they were. I brought up PS4 as it was the logical place for a game that Square wanted to push in the West given how successful the console has been.

I'm also not entirely sure why you're convinced there's no audience for a game like World of FF on PS4? Do you have some sales to back that up?

Vena

What are you talking about? I brought up the Monster Hunter clones as an example of a genre finding success on Vita despite hunting games being more popular elsewhere, obviously they weren't successful on PS4 and I never said they were. I brought up PS4 as it was the logical place for a game that Square wanted to push in the West given how successful the console has been.

I continued your MonHun point by discussing how the extension of the titles to PS4 whether in Japan or abroad, did not do well. I was extending their failure to this discussion. I don't think Vita is a terrible choice, the genre is seemingly preferred by mobile audiences, but putting it on the PS4 is what seems completely misguided. They'd have been better served putting it on PSV/3DS.

This is a similar scenario with another type of game/genre.

I'm also not entirely sure why you're convinced there's no audience for a game like World of FF on PS4? Do you have some sales to back that up?

How would I have figures for a genre that doesn't exist on the PS4 (as far as I am aware)?

Jigorath

Banned
How would I have figures for a genre that doesn't exist on the PS4 (as far as I am aware)?

You're the one who said there's no audience for it in the West on PS4. It's obviously unproved but it's way too early to dismiss the sales potential.

Mario007

DQ:Mon is on the 3DS (and mobile) as well. MH:Stories is coming to the 3DS for the same reason.
Again though we can't call World of Ff a Pokemon competitor apart from capture the monsters part. We know nothing concrete on how heavy story focused it'd be or the fight system apart from the stacking thing which is already very different to Pokemon. Again if we were to apply the same rules, then FF XIII-2 would also be classified as Pokemon competitor and thus should have launched on 3ds too?

sense

everything needs to be on 3ds or it is a terrible idea that is bound to fail!!!! people in this thread are smarter than the people working at these companies making these platform decisions. we all know companies like square take these decisions in a vacuum without any sort of thought process....they should just hire some of the people in this thread.

Busaiku

I'm not saying they were unsuccessful, but they were more successful when they shared a platform.
Besides Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy Explorers, the rest are on Vita. These did well, but they did better last gen on PSP (including Monster Hunter itself). Obviously Freedom Wars and Toukiden are new IPs, but stuff like God Eater, Phantasy Star, and Monster Hunter aren't doing as hot (not that they weren't successful).
Stuff like Dragon Quest Monsters and Yokai Watch would not have done as well outside of 3DS.

BlackJace

everything needs to be on 3ds or it is a terrible idea that is bound to fail!!!! people in this thread are smarter than the people working at these companies making these platform decisions. we all know companies like square take these decisions in a vacuum without any sort of thought process....they should just hire some of the people in this thread.

To be fair, this is a similar mindset in the West with the PS4. It's what happens when one platform is doing noticeably better than the others.

It's a somewhat justified position.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, here's what Square Enix has to say about the game: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/what-exactly-is-world-of-final-fantasy/1100-6428294/

Speaking with director Hiroki Chiba, is seems the game is aimed at the younger gaming audience and being developed as a way to bring children into the Final Fantasy franchise. According to Chiba, Final Fantasy XIII marked the moment the series decided to go for full photorealism with its characters and settings. This is alienating to kids, he said, who are more drawn to cutesy and more fantasy-looking art styles.
World of Final Fantasy is set in the land of Grimoire, where all the Final Fantasy characters live. The two main characters shown in the trailer--Rain and her little brother Lon (Square Enix would not confirm the spelling at this time)--are venturing into the world to battle against and befriend monsters. These creatures have been pulled from all previous Final Fantasy games, giving players a chance to do battle with cute chibi versions of Behemoths and even cuter chibi chocobos. Chiba noted that the monsters featured in The World of Final Fantasy will come from the entire series history, including spin-off titles like Final Fantasy Tactics and Crystal Chronicles.
"The playstyle is like Final Fantasy games before Final Fantasy X, so it's more geared towards an RPG style game," Chiba explained. "Players will be able to input commands or go for a more retro-esque Final Fantasy command system during battles. I want to keep that Final Fantasy feel of previous titles, so there will be random encounter battles but also story-based battles where you will have to fight them to progress the story."
After collecting your creatures, players will be able to stack them on top of one another in combat for more powerful attacks. "Towers" as Chiba called them can be two or three monsters high, and what monsters you use will determine the kind of attack and how effective it is. For example, if you stack three monsters with the Fire ability, putting them together will create a Firaga spell.
There's even more here in the form of a large interview: http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/18/w...-the-door-for-newer-younger-players/view-all/

I'd like to take a moment to point out one of the screenshots looks like a collection of three elemental starting monsters you choose from:

world-of-final-fantasb8s6j.jpg

I would be pretty hard pressed to view a cutesy, turn based Final Fantasy game that revolves around creature collection/creature battling and is aimed at young children to not be a Pokemon competitor.

Generally that's the idea. When EA wanted Battlefield to compete with Call of Duty, they didn't launch on the Wii, because the audience for Call of Duty was on PC/360/PS3.

Similarly when Level 5 wanted to take on Pokemon, they went on the 3DS, and actually managed to launch a series that sells on par with Pokemon itself.

Of course, if your aspirations are much lower than actually going for the crown, then trying to avoid competition can be an option. There are several indie developers who found it easier to be the big fish in the 3DS pond than the small fish in the Steam pond, but you're not going to be a huge seller that way.

There is an argument that says, if they're aiming at the Skylanders/Infinity audience instead, then they want to be on the home consoles those games do best on. However, given the platform choice here, and the gameplay construct (Skylanders/Infinity are action games, not turned based RPGs), it sounds a lot more like Pokemon, which even does well in the West on 3DS.

Busaiku

Similarly when Level 5 wanted to take on Pokemon, they went on the 3DS, and actually managed to launch a series that sells on par with Pokemon itself.
That's not what the facts say!
17./10. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937) - 4.899 / 2.648.334 (+13%)
37./20. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} (¥4.968)

Level 5's days are numbered.
It's clearly in the Inazuma 11 phase.
Hope they enjoyed the (lesser) success while they had it!

05./11. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Mojang AB)
06/.05. [PSV] Persona 4: Dancing All Night <ACT> (Atlus)
07./12. [3DS] Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games)
08./10. [PS4] Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition <ACT> (Capcom)
09./06. [PSV] Persona 4: Dancing All Night (Value Pack) <ACT> (Atlus)
10./09. [3DS] Return to PoPoLoCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale <RPG> (Marvelous)
11./00. [PSV] Zettai Geigeki Wars <ACT> (Acquire)
12./18. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment)
13./17. [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft)
14./08. [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward <RPG> (Square Enix)
15./15. [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: The Complete Experience {Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward} <RPG> (Square Enix)
16./27. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08}
17./03. [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Special Edition {Fire Emblem Fates: Black Kingdom Fire Emblem Fates: White Kingdom} <SLG> (Nintendo)
18./14. [PSV] Chaos;Child <ADV> (5pb.)
19./22. [3DS] Style Savvy 3: Kira Kira Code <ETC> (Nintendo)
20./31. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo)

nice bounce Splatoon

without that game Wii U is as good as dead right now nothing else charts top 10 :(

That's not what the facts say!
17./10. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937) - 4.899 / 2.648.334 (+13%)
37./20. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} (¥4.968)

Level 5's days are numbered.
It's clearly in the Inazuma 11 phase.
Hope they enjoyed the (lesser) success while they had it!

Youkai Watch might not have the same longevity as Pokemon, but Level 5 still has a lot of juice left in the series and they are going to make the most of it. I am curious to see how it does in the west.

Takao

Banned
That is why I wrote I expect SQEX to ditch the PSV version of the game for a Western release - as they are bringing DQH and SO5 exclusively on PS4.

Ignoring the fact that both versions were initially announced during a SCEA presentation, Vita's logo is sitting pretty on the official English website and a physical release has even been solicited by a variety of retailers. They could certainly cancel the retail version, but there's 0 reason to believe it'll be PS4-exclusive in the west.

Oregano

You think they wont support NX? FFT0, FFXV, KH3 are on X1. WOFF, SAGA, DQH are coming to vita. Wii U got DQ10. 3DS has had a LOT of support.

Japanese console industry has greatly changed since NES-PS2 days unfortunately :(.

So XBO and Vita get the occasional PS4 multiplatform and Wii U gets a Wii port Nintendo likely paid for. Definitely good support./s

Whilst the 3DS has been getting a large number of releases they've all been shockingly low budget(apart from KH) and NX definitely isn't getting half that support.

It won't get a KH because that team is on the mainline
It won't get Bravely because SE self sabotaged it.
Theatrhythm is likely over as a series. It is for FF.
The FF Explorers director is now making Project Setsuna for PS4.
There's not many DQ games left to remake/port.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
2.5 Million is a tall order in today's Japan.

If it is on anything else except 3DS sure.

So XBO and Vita get the occasional PS4 multiplatform and Wii U gets a Wii port Nintendo likely paid for. Definitely good support./s

Whilst the 3DS has been getting a large number of releases they've all been shockingly low budget(apart from KH) and NX definitely isn't getting half that support.

You had claimed 3rd party 3DS support almost dead for the future a few months ago. For a system we know nothing better wait before start predicting for SE support.

If there's Pokémon, the game is more likely to sell well than if there isn't. If there's not Pokémon, the chances of being successful are lower. Same goes for Monster Hunter; in the same genre (or sort of), there successes (Freedom Wars, Toukiden) and more average titles (Soul Sacrifice, Valhalla Knights) on PSV. The only MH close that was released on 3DS, FF Explorers, actually sold quite well.

Ignoring the fact that both versions were initially announced during a SCEA presentation, Vita's logo is sitting pretty on the official English website and a physical release has even been solicited by a variety of retailers. They could certainly cancel the retail version, but there's 0 reason to believe it'll be PS4-exclusive in the west.

I'd b more than glad to be as optimist as you.

To be fair, there's still DQIX :p (and quite possibly start developing sequels as well).

Well...

Remake on handheld consoles
DQI+II: 1999 (GBC)
DQIII: 2000 (GBC)
DQIV: 2007 (DS)
DQV: 2008 (DS)
DQVI: 2010 (DS)
DQVII: 2013 (3DS)
DQVIII: 2015 (3DS)

Remake on home consoles
DQI+II: 1993 (SNES)
DQIII: 1996 (SNES)
DQIV: 2001 (PS1)
DQV: 2004 (PS2)
DQVI: ??
DQVII: ??
DQVIII: ??

Are DQ NES games available on 3DS VC? Because in that case, 3DS would become the only platform where you can play each mainline entry.

Jigorath

Banned
Generally that's the idea. When EA wanted Battlefield to compete with Call of Duty, they didn't launch on the Wii, because the audience for Call of Duty was on PC/360/PS3.

Of course, if your aspirations are much lower than actually going for the crown, then trying to avoid competition can be an option. There are several indie developers who found it easier to be the big fish in the 3DS pond than the small fish in the Steam pond, but you're not going to be a huge seller that way.

There is an argument that says, if they're aiming at the Skylanders/Infinity audience instead, then they want to be on the home consoles those games do best on. However, given the platform choice here, and the gameplay construct (Skylanders/Infinity are action games, not turned based RPGs), it sounds a lot more like Pokemon, which even does well in the West on 3DS.

Yeah if they're angling for kids then 3DS is probably the best platform for a game like that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

We don't even know what NX will be but you list this stuff as if it was confirmed. It won't get KH3 because?

There won't be many reason to not support NX if the hardware can handle the games and it is performing well enough.

If NX ends up being what many of us expect it to be... The Symbiose of Nintendos handheld and home console efforts as well as their OS/digital store and system architecture baseline for the next year to come, I don't think many J publisher will just ignore it because of they love to be Sony exclusive.

NX might end up working like Steam, iOS or Android with the same OS and Interface supporting multiple hardware iterations for a long period.

Many companies don't bother with WiiU SNES Virtual Console title because the sales are limited to one device. Things would be different if one Snes purchase would work on WiiU, NX and other systems down the line.

That's why companies like SE port all their stuff to mobile even if the initial sales are low... Once the games are available on the systems they can sell them for years without much maintaining cost. Just being available is enough as well as increasing the catalogue over time. NX could already have quite a substantial library if Android versions and games could be ported without much effort, we already had rumours about some kind of Android software emulation the might support.

They could work there way up from there.

Edit:

In some ways 3DS and WiiU already were already working towards the goal looking at the Indie initiatives in addition to the higher budget retail games you are used to on dedicated devices. NX will probably be the solution to streamline the whole process from the get go. Questions developers have to ask when talking about NX is...when they are bringing their games over not how and if. Needs to be a no-brainer, low risk and low effort addition to current development pipelines of mobile as well as handheld/console titles.

Socordia

Banned

To offset all the risk they take for trying to save private ryan, they need something reliable besides mobile.

Jigorath

Banned
We don't even know what NX will be but you list this stuff as if it was confirmed. It won't get KH3 because?

Because there hasn't been a Nintendo home console with decent 3rd party support since... the SNES? Kind of silly to keep expecting with every Nintendo console that the major 3rd parties are going to come back in droves.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
DQXI on PS4 in at least understandable (and we don't know if it will ditch PS3 and PSVita version too: with those I'd say that the LTD could actually be pretty solid in Japan even if PS4 will not have a huge install base).

They are pushing PS4 "sale" pretty hard with product that, honestly, exactly on PS4 could have the best target audience, especially in the Western markets, where the PS4 is selling really well, better than the 3DS too.
All the Final Fantasy games and even Kingdom Hearts seems to perfectly fit the console.

Plus, they are somehow self-promoting themselves as the console Japanese saviors of the market with their "classic JRPG efforts", of which FFVII remake is somehow the flag/symbol
They hope to sell as much as possible, of course, and are aiming to do that fully supporing a console that will not guarantee as much sale as the 3DS in Japan (but if they will go for the PS environment, with PS3 + Vita version too...), but could be able to exploit the full potential of Western sales.

cw_sasuke

Because there hasn't been a Nintendo home console with decent 3rd party support since... the SNES? Kind of silly to keep expecting with every Nintendo console that the major 3rd parties are going to come back in droves.

What does NX have to with the systems before it ? If the system is viable 3rd Partys will support it. The same way JP publisher are supporting Steam nowadays...they saw success and its a viable system for them.

With dev costs rising people will try to put their games on as many systems as possible. Many NX predictions are based on the fact that its the eco system combining handheld/home console development...so ignoring a Nintendo home console in the past was one thing - but even then their homesystems and especially their handhelds got quite a lot of exclusive software - which usually involves more work and effort than just porting games. Its all about availability and attractiveness of the ecosystem...the PS ecosystem is quite strong in Japan even though the hardware devices themselves dont really sell that much its easy to target PSV/PS3/PS4 at the same time thanks to optimized development pipelines.

Edit:

And once again....no one said that KH3 or whatever will be back on NX - we just dont know yet. Hell the system might not even be able to run the game. But its a new generation and things can and will be shaken up if viable. PS4 alone wont be able to carry the whole market alone on its shoulders... and Nintendo could act more aggressive once backed up by the mobile game money.

DQXI on PS4 in at least understandable (and we don't know if it will ditch PS3 and PSVita version too: with those I'd say that the LTD could actually be pretty solid in Japan even if PS4 will not have a huge install base).

They are pushing PS4 "sale" pretty hard with product that, honestly, exactly on PS4 could have the best target audience, especially in the Western markets, where the PS4 is selling really well, better than the 3DS too.
All the Final Fantasy games and even Kingdom Hearts seems to perfectly fit the console.

Plus, they are somehow self-promoting themselves as the console Japanese saviors of the market with their "classic JRPG efforts", of which FFVII remake is somehow the flag/symbol
They hope to sell as much as possible, of course, and are aiming to do that fully supporing a console that will not guarantee as much sale as the 3DS in Japan (but if they will go for the PS environment, with PS3 + Vita version too...), but could be able to exploit the full potential of Western sales.

Honest question: why are you expecting PS4 to be a huge jRPG machine in the West such that DQ can finally find mainstream success, something that didn't happen even on PS2 and DS? To be fair, PS4 Western userbase seems even more skewed towards Western IPs wrt to PS3, which built a niche jRPG fanbase over time, and not in the first few years.

Jigorath

Banned
Umm Wii???

Elder Scrolls
Fallout
GTA
Battlefield
Assassin's Creed
Mainline Final Fantasy
Bioshock
Mainline Resident Evil
Batman
Mass Effect
and so much more all skipped out on Wii.

The major 3rd parties avoided it like the plague. It got some party games, a few spinoffs, and lots of licensed stuff but I wouldn't call the 3rd party support decent by any measure.

Well yes, I think they're obviously insane and/or extremely bullish about their odds in the West.

I mean who would look at the PS4's sales in the OP and greenlight this based on those:
-Final Fantasy XV
-Kingdom Hearts 3
-Final Fantasy VII Remake
-Nier 2
-Dissidia: Final Fantasy (also on Arcade)
-Star Ocean 5 (also on PS3)
-Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (also on PS3/Vita)
-World of Final Fantasy (also on Vita)

Project Setsuna is also asking for Unity experience, so it's unlikely to be a 3DS game.

Don't forget the eventual FF Type-1 ;)
Is there faith misguided? We'll see but so far DQH has been a success and SE seems to think FF Type 0 was a success as well.

cw_sasuke

Elder Scrolls
Fallout
GTA
Battlefield
Assassin's Creed
Mainline Final Fantasy
Bioshock
Mainline Resident Evil
Batman
Mass Effect
and so much more all skipped out on Wii.

The major 3rd parties avoided it like the plague. It got some party games, a few spinoffs, and lots of licensed stuff but I wouldn't call the 3rd party support decent by any measure.

This thread focus mostly on JP publisher and developers though - not to mention that most listed games just couldnt run on Wii which was the reason it wasnt an option to begin with.

If NX cant run games like KH3 - of course it wont get them. We are discussing a scenario where the system can actually run these games and is the continuation of their home console and handheld efforts. The Nintendo eco system in this gen will sell like 25 million systems, even though they made a couple mistakes and the WiiU is more or less a failure.

If you are a 3rd party and can develop for a dedicated gaming eco-system that can hit +15-20 million in one market - you have to come up with some excuses why you wont be developing for it, if the hardware could run them. The WiiU never got PS3 multi platform games like Tales of and Co. because of its low installed base.

Top Bottom