• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2015 (Jul 06 - Jul 12)

GSR

It's worth noting that DGS was very clearly made to have a sequel, and word of that is getting around. It'll be interesting to see both how that effects the game's legs and how much Capcom wants to green light a DGS2.

Darius

Banned
Ōkami;171965372 said:
Top 10 Best Selling games for the year so far, famitsu retail only

1. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad: 688.386
  2. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shinuchi: 605.748
  3. [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Black Kingdom / White Kingdom: 456.274
  4. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes: 444.018
  5. [WIU] Splatoon: 441.459
  6. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D: 431.166
  7. [PS3] Tales of Zestiria: 370.264
  8. [3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: 367.134
  9. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+: 331.251
  10. [PSV] God Eater 2: Rage Burst: 321.675
Was expecting Splatoon to outsell Dragon Quest Heroes this week, well its going to happen next week, good going for Fire Emblem, speaking of.

[3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening: 460.568
[3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Black Kingdom / White Kingdom: 456.274

I believe that number for awakening is rather old btw.

Another Zelda game after OoT 3D selling quite well in Japan, despite the narrative of the franchise beeing in big trouble is quite good to see. Considering that it´s a remake of the obscure Majoras Mask it´s even more noteworthy, that it decently outsold a new mainline Tales of game in the same timeframe.

The PS4 version of DQH missed the Top 10 charts.

Vena

Another Zelda game after OoT 3D selling quite well in Japan, despite the narrative of the franchise beeing in big trouble is quite good to see. Considering that it´s a remake of the obscure Majoras Mask it´s even more noteworthy, that it decently outsold a new mainline Tales of game in the same timeframe.

The PS3 version of DQH missed the Top 10 charts.

Majora's Mask is anything but obscure. It was obscure and obtuse in the years it came out on the N64, nowadays its an absolute cult game with the Zelda brand added on top making it a world renowned entity (selling to a population that far eclipses the size of the entire Playstation line in Japan). Zelda shouldn't be compared to Tales, even if the Zelda game is a remake. (If anything, the strength of Majora's Mask and the 'return to roots' narrative surrounding ZeldaUNX may help the brand in the long run regain from some of its more recent fatigue.)

At that point, might as well compare Pokemon to Persona on the basis that they both start with a "P" and feature collecting monsters.

Curious to see that PS4's SKU for DQH is not included with the sales. Are you going by individual SKU sales only? Thanks.

It's been outsold by everything on that list. It has no reason to be on there.

COLOPL, one of Japanese mobile gaming's biggest success (they very frequently launch major successes, sometimes even getting astronomically huge chart topping ones like White Cat and Quiz RPG), has gotten another game titled Battle Girl High School to be able to reach the top 10.

It's not doing so with consistency yet to note, but it is a good sign that it's been going up progressively and got here several months after launch instead of just with the launch.

This is very interesting in how erratic it seems to behave. Does such a performance, with temporary spikes into the high-10s give credence to a long term project with some faith in from developers? Or would a studio be concerned that a title like this seems to require a lot of investment to keep from quickly collapsing the grossing charts? As we get more and more titles that find this type of successes, I think we may start to see some of them end up getting axed for other ventures that might have more consistent performance to avoid collapse fears even if the overall grossing ranks are never as high (but also never as low).

How long would a project like this last past launch if it maintained this sort of erratic modulation (to make a sine graph jealous)?

Darius

Banned
Majoras Mask is considered to be the most obscure one in the Nintendo published Zelda series, that´s undeniable.

Vena

Majoras Mask is considered to be the most obscure one in the Nintendo published Zelda series, that´s undeniable.

It used to be.

Not any more. Years of incubation within the mind of gaming culture as an under appreciated, under experienced gem have long since catapulted the game from "obscure" to "must-play classic that everyone knows about".

Jigorath

Banned
It used to be.

Not any more. Years of incubation within the mind of gaming culture as an under appreciated, under experienced gem have long since catapulted the game from "obscure" to "must-play classic that everyone knows about".

It was never obscure. Under-appreciated? Sure. But not obscure.

Ōkami

Persona 5 conformed to do 2 million+
Conformed to only 2m?

Sky's the limit, Persona 5 is outselling FFVIII and will become the best selling console RPG ever!

You misspelled a word and I wanted to make a crappy joke about it

MM did around 600k on the N64 and OoT did 1 million+ iirc
Right, OOT was the last Zelda to do 1m in Japan.

All an all MM3D did really good compared to the original, not something you see very often.

Also, if there's an obscure Zelda now its got to be Zelda II.

Celine

Oh really?

YzM1Tprl.jpg

Source: Famitsu.

Darius

Banned
Some are really trying too hard. What´s next comparisons with some Tingle spinoffs? I´m talking about mainline/flagship entries and especially refering to its theme compared to other entries.

Xbro

Some are really trying too hard. What´s next comparisons with some Tingle spinoffs? I´m talking about mainline/flagship entries and especially refering to its theme compared to other entries.

Just say it's the most obscure 3D game.

Made a fuller list of Taiko openings from PSP/DS onwards (i.e. ignoring PS2, because there's like 6 on that and they're from more than a decade ago):

Wii (2008) - 114,610
PSP (2011) - 110,242
Wii (2012) - 102,437
DS (2007) - 89,158
DS (2010) - 65,214
3DS (2012) - 63,338
3DS (2014) - 62,247
DS (2008) - 60,250
Vita (2015) - 41,400
Wii (2009) - 29,349
Wii (2010) - 26,855
Wii (2011) - 25,343
WiiU (2012) - 17,518
PSP (2006) - 14,638
PSP (2005) - 14,593
WiiU (2014) - 9,582

That was quite interesting to research. Vita version almost slap bang in the middle.

What's most notable about Taiko is the legs. Every game has sold more than 2 x FW, most sell more than 5 x. The worst ones being PSP 2011 (2.8 x) and 3DS 2014 (4.2 x). So two recent ones at least, which doesn't bode well for Vita version.

Though it's worth noting that the WiiU 2013 was able to sell more than 10 x its FW sales on a userbase (at the launch of the game) of only 1.2m.

Bruno MB

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D did better than The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds which was a new entry in the series despite being a direct sequel of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. And it also did better (it was an easy feat) than the last mainline console Zelda. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is out of its reach, although The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D outsold it.

The Legend of Zelda series (2006 onwards)

Code:
[WII] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo) {2006.12.02} - 145.068 / 554.109
[GCN] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo) {2006.12.02} - * / 24.900 (Nintendo Online sales only)
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) {2007.06.23} - 288.282 / 902.386
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) {2009.12.23} - 320.940 / 740.109
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) {2011.06.16} - 182.998 / 604.462
[WII] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Nintendo) {2011.11.23} - 194.894 / 346.802
[WIU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Nintendo) {2013.09.26} - 31.154 / 56.059

[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo) {2013.12.26} - 225.418 / 417.874
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds [Nintendo eShop] {DL} (Nintendo) {2013.12.26} - 28.577 

Total - 446.451

[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (Nintendo) {2015.02.14} - 236.536 / 431.166
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D [Nintendo eShop] {DL} (Nintendo) {2015.02.14} - 20.824

Total - 451.990

Celine

Do you still consider MM undeniably the most obscure of the Zelda mainline/flagship games after I've shown you the Famitsu chart?
Yes or no?

Xbro

Code:
[WII] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo) {2006.12.02} - 145.068 / 554.109
[GCN] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo) {2006.12.02} - * / 24.900 (Nintendo Online sales only)
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) {2007.06.23} - 288.282 / 902.386
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) {2009.12.23} - 320.940 / 740.109
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) {2011.06.16} - 182.998 / 604.462
[WII] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Nintendo) {2011.11.23} - 194.894 / 346.802
[WIU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Nintendo) {2013.09.26} - 31.154 / 56.059

[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo) {2013.12.26} - 225.418 / 417.874
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds [Nintendo eShop] {DL} (Nintendo) {2013.12.26} - 28.577 

Total - 446.451

[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (Nintendo) {2015.02.14} - 236.536 / 431.166
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D [Nintendo eShop] {DL} (Nintendo) {2015.02.14} - 20.824

Total - 451.990
Nitpicking, but WWHD is at around 70K with the newest data iirc.

Darius

Banned
Do you still consider MM undeniably the most obscure of the Zelda mainline/flagship games after I've shown you the Famitsu chart?
Yes or no?

Your data is irrelevant in this matter, I already clarified that I refered to its theme and the main games, be it 2D Zelda games in the NES/SNES era and 3D Zelda games starting N64 until now to be precise.

Anyway back in the day Majoras Mask benefitted a lot for beeing the direct sequel to one if not the most beloved Zelda games ever (namely Ocarina of Time) that performed great and even managed to become a million seller, but Majoras Mask saw a steep decline regardless of this important benefit, due to its obscurity in the game itself and even in the marketing campaign.

The important thing is that also this remake managed to sell well, since OoT3Ds good performance was "considered" as an outlier just to push the narrative forward that the series has become insignificant in Japan, as a bonus Majoras Mask 3D even managed to outsell a new mainline Tales of game on PS3 in the same period, that´s great for the simple reason because the latter launched on a system where 3rd parties fostered a JRPG userbase (a Tales of userbase in particular) and it´s an IP that has been considered to be strong in Japan.

Wynnebeck

Banned
It's been outsold by everything on that list. It has no reason to be on there.

Thankfully Takao and co. already explained that it would have been had Rhythm Heaven and others not moved up because this answer doesn't tell me shit no offense.

Vena

It was never obscure. Under-appreciated? Sure. But not obscure.

Fair enough. I've always conflated the two but, really, it is wrong of me to do so in this scenario. :p

Thankfully Takao and co. already explained that it would have been had Rhythm Heaven and others not moved up because this answer doesn't tell me shit no offense.

Blame it on time it took me to start and finish typing that post due to work. :p I started it shortly after I saw the post, and only finished when it was finished and by then others had clarified further so I didn't bother to edit. :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so, what about DQ M Joker 3 for 3ds?
already discussed here?
what does that mean fkr 3ds support and SE/DQ 3ds output?

Darius

Banned
What I need to read in Media Create threads these days.

context is important, when I´m talking about a games theme, I mean it.

By your same logic, Gran Tourismo 6 has to be considered the most obscure entry in its series, despite it beeing the same generic racing game the series was always known for.

I think with Zelda it has more to do with platform (handheld vs console) than each individual entry. For example, I believe WW would have sold better as a 3DS game, and MM much worse as a WiiU game. The waning of Zelda seems to be mostly on the console side while handheld games still do comparatively well.

already discussed here?
I have a feeling DQMJ3 is the final 3DS DQ game. It's interesting though that a release date isn't even suggested just yet like it was with DQB. Will it make 2015? We've already had DQH in February, DQVIII 3DS is due in August and DQB is Winter (which is probably early 2016).

Vena

I have a feeling DQMJ3 is the final 3DS DQ game. It's interesting though that a release date isn't even suggested just yet like it was with DQB. Will it make 2015? We've already had DQH in February, DQVIII 3DS is due in August and DQB is Winter (which is probably early 2016).

One would imagine that by the time its out and the dust has settled, the 3DS will be retiring.

It looks like SE is effectively throwing the brand everywhere right now.

Arzehn

Has 3DS reached its saturation point. No bump such a big launch title?

Minecraft has become an evergreen title for PSV..

I'm curious the effect DQ Builders will have on Minecraft. Will it bump it up to new heights or take over that audience? Guess it depends on what kind of game DQB will be, will the focus be on building, or a story. Maybe you don't even set the blocks, maybe they're set for you and you just collect them.

TGS can't come soon enough.

One would imagine that by the time its out and the dust has settled, the 3DS will be retiring.

It looks like SE is effectively throwing the brand everywhere right now.
Yes, that talk back then of making DQ a multi-platform franchise is coming to fruition now. There's now notable presence of the DQ on Nintendo, Sony and Mobile platforms.

horuhe

already discussed here?

My opinion about it, is that SE is trying to throw some DQ (remakes and spin-offs) games in order to satisfy the DQ fanbase, that is already strong in 3DS. I mean I would like DQXI being on 3DS but it's obvious it is not gonna happen. Speaking about sales, has anyone previous DQM 3DS games data available?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is very interesting in how erratic it seems to behave. Does such a performance, with temporary spikes into the high-10s give credence to a long term project with some faith in from developers? Or would a studio be concerned that a title like this seems to require a lot of investment to keep from quickly collapsing the grossing charts? As we get more and more titles that find this type of successes, I think we may start to see some of them end up getting axed for other ventures that might have more consistent performance to avoid collapse fears even if the overall grossing ranks are never as high (but also never as low).

How long would a project like this last past launch if it maintained this sort of erratic modulation (to make a sine graph jealous)?

Generally you want to spike pretty high.

With the exception of a very, very small number of games, almost nothing stays in the top 20 constantly, but the more time you're spending in it and the higher you are, the more of the "big money" you're making.

Like Quiz RPG is still a big earner for COLOPL, but when it's not in the Top 3-5, it's often below #100, because the monetization there is almost entirely through events, since everyone still playing knows the most optimal times to spend money.

Vena

Yes, that talk back then of making DQ a multi-platform franchise is coming to fruition now. There's now notable presence of the DQ on Nintendo, Sony and Mobile platforms.

My one concern with the current trajectory is that they're throwing it out so fast and loose, you're going to hit fatigue and saturation fast and hard.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My one concern with the current trajectory is that they're throwing it out so fast and loose, you're going to hit fatigue and saturation fast and hard.
Usually franchise fatigue starts setting in when you have two key conditions:

1.) You're not keeping up quality, so people have less incentive to buy the games (quality can be defined relative to the market and/or other games, so quality has to keep increasing).
2.) You're not including enough variety, so the games feel too samey (either between individual entries in the same sub-series or across everything as a whole). This can range from variety in gameplay to other things like art direction depending on how long things have been going on.

Back in the early days of mass Final Fantasy production, it actually worked really well since there was a large variety of games in a number of genres and people really enjoyed it. However, as quality dropped, and some of the sub-series got samey, it eroded the brand.

The issue most series that mass produce run into is that they can't maintain either of these things. The more games you demand get put out per year, the less you tend to experiment and the more the schedule itself rules the day instead of the quality of each individual product.

I figure (hope) it's due to the 30th Anniversary celebration. Prior to this year, brand new DQ games have been relatively scarce, outside of remakes. Either way I'll be curious about how each title performs. The DQ franchise has shown incredible brand strength over the years, but it hasn't had quite this much exposure in a while, if at all.

MK8 VS Splatoon (excluding FW) Longer legs
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |   Mario Kart 8    |      Splatoon     |  Difference  | 
|    | [WIU] (2014/05/29)| [WIU] (2015/05/28)|              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   | MK8 – SPLTN  | 
|  2 |   73.051|   73.051|   68.913|   68.913|         4.138| 
|  3 |   42.261|  115.312|   53.198|  122.111|        -6.799|  
|  4 |   28.112|  143.424|   43.653|  165.764|       -22.340| 
|  5 |   23.520|  166.944|   37.458|  203.222|       -36.278|  
|  6 |   19.386|  186.330|   34.135|  237.357|       -51.027|  
|  7 |   15.143|  201.473|   26.136|  263.493|       -62.020|  
|  8 |   14.992|  216.465|         |         |              |  
|  9 |   18.129|  234.594|         |         |              | 
| 10 |   18.067|  252.661|         |         |              | 
| 11 |   20.860|  273.521|         |         |              | 
| 12 |   28.221|  301.742|         |         |              | 
| 13 |   12.075|  313.817|         |         |              | 
| 14 |   11.148|  324.965|         |         |              |

Kart got a decent boost during week 9 to 12. Any special reason for that?

Ōkami

MK8 VS Splatoon (excluding FW) Longer legs
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |   Mario Kart 8    |      Splatoon     |  Difference  | 
|    | [WIU] (2014/05/29)| [WIU] (2015/05/28)|              | 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   | MK8 – SPLTN  | 
|  2 |   73.051|   73.051|   68.913|   68.913|         4.138| 
|  3 |   42.261|  115.312|   53.198|  122.111|        -6.799|  
|  4 |   28.112|  143.424|   43.653|  165.764|       -22.340| 
|  5 |   23.520|  166.944|   37.458|  203.222|       -36.278|  
|  6 |   19.386|  186.330|   34.135|  237.357|       -51.027|  
|  7 |   15.143|  201.473|   26.136|  263.493|       -62.020|  
|  8 |   14.992|  216.465|         |         |              |  
|  9 |   18.129|  234.594|         |         |              | 
| 10 |   18.067|  252.661|         |         |              | 
| 11 |   20.860|  273.521|         |         |              | 
| 12 |   28.221|  301.742|         |         |              | 
| 13 |   12.075|  313.817|         |         |              | 
| 14 |   11.148|  324.965|         |         |              |

Kart got a decent boost during week 9 to 12. Any special reason for that?
Pretty sure it was obon

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases

{2015.07.22}

[PSV] Monster Hunter Frontier G8: Premium Package <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.264)

[WIU] Monster Hunter Frontier G8: Premium Package <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.264)

[PS3] Monster Hunter Frontier G8: Premium Package <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.264)

[360] Monster Hunter Frontier G8: Premium Package <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.264)

{2015.07.23}

[3DS] Langrisser: Re:Incarnation Tensei <RPG> (Extreme) (¥5.980)
[3DS] Hoppechan: Punitto Shibotte Daibouken! <ACT> (Nippon Columbia) (¥5.184)

[PSV] Makaigami Trillion # <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥7.344)
[PSV] Makaigami Trillion (1/1)(Limited Edition) <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥9.504)
[PSV] Vamwolf Cross # <ADV> (D3 Publisher) (¥6.458)
[PSV] Vamwolf Cross (1/1)(First Production Edition) <ADV> (D3 Publisher) (¥6.458)
[PSV] Shin Hayari Gami [1/1][The Best Price] <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥4.104)

[PS4] Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi # <ACT> (Capcom) (¥7.549)
[PS4] Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi (1/1)(Costume 21 Equation Debauchery Box) <ACT> (Capcom) (¥14.029)

[PS3] Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi # <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.469)
[PS3] Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi (1/1)(Costume 21 Equation Debauchery Box) <ACT> (Capcom) (¥12.949)
[PS3] TV Anime Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls G4U! Pack Vol.3 <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥10.778)
[PS3] Shin Hayari Gami [1/1][The Best Price] <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥4.104)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

The PS3 version of DQH missed the Top 10 charts.

I assume you mean the PS4 version of DQH?

already discussed here?

This is Square Enix's first new Dragon Quest game for 3DS (barring Theathrhythm & Rocket Slime) right?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
New Mystery Dungeon won't top 300k when Gates to Infinity topped 400k. What do I miss?

Hey man, I'm reading my comment I don't remember what I was trying to say... disregard it :)

You think Animal Crossing will reach 1 million btw?

I'm curious the effect DQ Builders will have on Minecraft. Will it bump it up to new heights or take over that audience? Guess it depends on what kind of game DQB will be, will the focus be on building, or a story. Maybe you don't even set the blocks, maybe they're set for you and you just collect them.

TGS can't come soon enough.

I'm curious if DQB will be able to outsell MC.

MC is quickly approaching 1 million.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Also it looks like Splatoon's effect on Wii U hardware is slowing a bit. I guess it had to happen at some point. Hopefully Yoshi's Woolly World
Amiibos
save the day!

Top Bottom