• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2015 (Jul 13 - Jul 19)

Vena

Big game in Japan? Since when?

Since WB decided to expect 150k and throw non-negligible marketing money at it? I didn't say the game was big in Japan, I said it was a big release (its a big AAA western game, its a big release whether it sells one copy or a million). Whether or not its conductive with the market is a different question.

And it did really well compared to past games. So its fortunes have definitely improved, just not up to snuff with what WB was expecting out of it.

Madao

the Yoshi well has been poisoned really badly by now. even if Wooly World was SM3DW levels good, it was doomed due to people getting tired of shitty outsourced Yoshi games (i was one that was ready to pass on it after YNI).
also, doesn't help that it was delayed 4 months in america. it's like they want to kill the game.

I hope this Yoshi bomba (plus Splatoon sucess) further communicates the fact to Nintendo that the sole reliance on decade old formulas and 2D titles on new gen hardware is not what anybody is interested in, plus that the NSMB hype is finally dead.
But then again, they've turned Chibi Robo into another generic 2D platformer, so maybe Nintendo stays stubborn and keeps failing on NX.
So far, Mario Maker is the only platformer on WiiU actually deserving to exist. Yoshi at least had different graphics for once, but it's still just another Yoshi Island gameplaywise.

Bruno MB

Pathetic performance for Yoshi's Woolly World.

I wrongly thought that Splatoon would breathe some life into the anemic Wii U market where even Nintendo first-party titles struggle hard to sell. And going by shipment data I'm not the only one who had though that.

I predicted 70.000 units [2 weeks] encouraged by a good opening in Europe and Splatoon bringing new users, and it's not that I was thinking I was being overly optimistic. With Wii U Nintendo have gone one step further and they have managed to create a platform that is also toxic for their own games.

Since WB decided to expect 150k and throw non-negligible marketing money at it? I didn't say the game was big in Japan, I said it was a big release (its a big AAA western game, its a big release whether it sells one copy or a million). Whether or not its conductive with the market is a different question.

And it did really well compared to past games. So its fortunes have definitely improved, just not up to snuff with what WB was expecting out of it.

150k? Why would they expect this if previous entries debuted at the 15k levels even considering the bigger marketing this time?

There's a reason why they call it THE BATTEST!

Which makes even less comprehensible why Warner Bros. expects 150,000 units sold in Japan, which is not happening, despite the very good debut for the game when compared to its predecessors

It's hard to believe they expect 150K sales out of it. .. Do you know where they actually said that?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Wii U is goddamn toxic.

Poor Yoshi.

Yoshi amiibo most likely tripled its Wii U debut, sad.

noshten

I don't think the legs aren't going to keep this one running.

But I though there was nothing else to play?
flagpole.gif

Vena

Wii U is goddamn toxic.

Poor Yoshi.

Yoshi amiibo most likely tripled its Wii U debut, sad.

Pathetic performance for Yoshi's Woolly World.

I wrongly thought that Splatoon would breathe some life into the anemic Wii U market where even Nintendo first-party titles struggle hard to sell. And going by shipment data I'm not the only one who had though that.

I predicted 70.000 units [2 weeks] encouraged by a good opening in Europe and Splatoon bringing new users, and it's not that I was thinking I was being overly optimistic. With Wii U Nintendo have gone one step further and they have managed to create a platform that is also toxic for their own games.

This is more about Yoshi being toxic. Yoshi doesn't do well on any platform any more. And there are too many damned 2D platformers, Nintendo needs a wake up call and this is it.

I hope this Yoshi bomba (plus Splatoon sucess) further communicates the fact to Nintendo that the sole reliance on decade old formulas and 2D titles on new gen hardware is not what anybody is interested in, plus that the NSMB hype is finally dead.
But then again, they've turned Chibi Robo into another generic 2D platformer, so maybe Nintendo stays stubborn and keeps failing on NX.
So far, Mario Maker is the only platformer on WiiU actually deserving to exist. Yoshi at least had different graphics for once, but it's still just another Yoshi Island gameplaywise.

DK:TF is the only one that deserves to exist for what it is: a core platformer for speed runners and less casual players. Everything else is cut from the same cloth outside of SMM.

Vena

Not sure if Yoshi needs to be a franchise anymore. Nintendo has way too many platformers.

It really doesn't. If they want a Mario spin-off franchise there's one that's much better (and newer), not 2D or a platformer, and ready for adventure.

hatchx

Banned
Sad for Yoshi, it looked great. How did this happen? I figured the Japanese would have loved the yarn style...

EDIT - consensus is that nobody wants 2D platformers on consoles? That may be.... Maybe Yoshi should have been an eshop game?

Xbro

Sad for Yoshi, it looked great. How did this happen? I figured the Japanese would have loved the yarn style...
Oh they do. I bet those amiibos flew off the shelves.
It really doesn't. If they want a Mario spin-off franchise there's one that's much better (and newer), not 2D or a platformer, and ready for adventure.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another Toad game in the near future. They already have all the assets.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
True. I mean, Yoshi's Island did release last year as well and didn't sell favorably.

Oregano

EDIT - consensus is that nobody wants 2D platformers on consoles? That may be.... Maybe Yoshi should have been an eshop game?

I don't think it's true that people don't want 2D Platformers necessarily but that they might be a bit oversaturated. NSMBU is still one of the best selling Wii U games after all.

xaszatm

Banned
This is more about Yoshi being toxic. Yoshi doesn't do well on any platform any more. And there are too many damned 2D platformers, Nintendo needs a wake up call and this is it.

DK:TF is the only one that deserves to exist for what it is: a core platformer for speed runners and less casual players. Everything else is cut from the same cloth outside of SMM.

I really enjoy how the Wii U has too many platformers while the third-person shooter/first person shooter games can come out like clockwork and never be old. Once again, Neogaf's preferences cloud their judgement and reaffirm their biases.

test_account

XP-39C²
I really enjoy how the Wii U has too many platformers while the third-person shooter/first person shooter games can come out like clockwork and never be old. Once again, Neogaf's preferences cloud their judgement and reaffirm their biases.
If that isnt the reason (or at least one reason), what do you think is the reason for the low sales?

Oregano

I think there's definitely an element of truth to it though when you compare the 2D Platformers relative performances to stuff like Xenoblade X and Captain Toad.

Jigorath

Banned

Explain to us why it's not selling.

Wiggy

third-person shooter/first person shooter games can come out like clockwork and never be old.

Those platforms have lots of games in every genre though as well FPS/TPS, the variety is problem.

It's hard to believe they expect 150K sales out of it. .. Do you know where they actually said that?

Where does the 150k goal for Batman in Japan come from exactly ?

Warner's expectations are detailed in this article. But it's in Japanese.
This is the salient part of the article though, via Google translate (if anyone has a better translation, that would be cool)

4GAMER said:
Initial target sales 100,000 , 120,000 sales in the 8th week , it is possible with the final aim to total 150,000

I think it's an issue of variety. Or rather, a lack of it. Nintendo makes great 2D platfmormers, but they seem to be producing too many, going by how the market has reacted to most of them on Wii U.

I'm personally very excited to play the game once it's finally released in NA in a few months.

xaszatm

Banned
I think there's definitely an element of truth to it though when you compare the 2D Platformers relative performances to stuff like Xenoblade X and Captain Toad.

If that isnt the reason (or at least one reason), what do you think is the reason for the low sales?

Well, first of all, the type of platformer Yoshi is (an explore-every-nook-and cranny take-your-time) isn't the type of platformer that is popular right now. Right now the more popular 2D platformers are ones that reward speed running and a faster mode of exploration. Yoshi's Woolly World is a slow game by design in comparison. This is more of a reason for Yoshi's stunted starting position. Also, there is a stigma against the game for being too childish due to its cute design which will also detract buyers. These are reasons far better than "X makes too many Y"

EDIT: Also, reviews have been rather middling for the game and there's no energy behind it unlike Splatoon.

BriBri

I don't have time to read this thread so apologies if already posted but Famitsu will be revealing a Spike Chunsoft RPG in the next issue. No platform mentioned.

Well, first of all, the type of platformer Yoshi is (an explore-every-nook-and cranny take-your-time) isn't the type of platformer that is popular right now. Right now the more popular 2D platformers are ones that reward speed running and a faster mode of exploration. Yoshi's Woolly World is a slow game by design in comparison. This is more of a reason for Yoshi's stunted starting position. Also, there is a stigma against the game for being too childish due to its cute design which will also detract buyers. These are reasons far better than "X makes too many Y"

EDIT: Also, reviews have been rather middling for the game and there's no energy behind it unlike Splatoon.

Ok. Why did Tropical Freeze underperform?

xaszatm

Banned
I think it's an issue of variety. Or rather, a lack of it. Nintendo makes great 2D platfmormers, but they seem to be producing too many, going by how the market has reacted to most of them on Wii U.

I'm personally very excited to play the game once it's finally released in NA in a few months.

We have New Super Mario Bros Wii U, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Kirby's Rainbow Curse, and Yoshi's Woolly World from Nintendo with Super Mario Maker coming next year. These platformers are all different in style and gameplay. The closet comparison to these is NSMBWU and DKTF but even then there are so many difference in these games that no, there is variety in these platformers. At least just as much variety, if not more, when compared to the FPS market, or the fighting game market a few years back, or the platforming game market a few years before that. Saturation of one genre does not suddenly kill a genre sales.

We have New Super Mario Bros Wii U, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Kirby's Rainbow Curse, and Yoshi's Woolly World from Nintendo with Super Mario Maker coming next year. These platformers are all different in style and gameplay. The closet comparison to these is NSMBWU and DKTF but even then there are so many difference in these games that no, there is variety in these platformers. At least just as much variety, if not more, when compared to the FPS market, or the fighting game market a few years back, or the platforming game market a few years before that. Saturation of one genre does not suddenly kill a genre sales.

I'm not speaking about variety within the genre, but rather variety in Wii U's lineup, period. Many of Nintendo's biggest games for the system have been platformers. Yes, they have released games in other genres as well, I don't need a list, but it's clear the market is currently losing interest rapidly in 2D platforming games. That doesn't mean it'll stay this way forever, mind you. And I think Super Mario Maker will buck this trend, as it's offering something fresh that will entice a lot of people to give it a try.

Also, to the average consumer, variety within the genre means little. They see Mario, Yoshi, Kirby, and DK and they think to themselves "these are very similar games".

From all accounts, Yoshi's Woolly World is a great game though. I wouldn't hope for something that is a quality title to perform poorly.

Who here said they have a preference for TPS/FPS? For that matter, who here said they prefer TPS/FPS to platformers?

Even if PC/PS4/X1 have tons of those games, the difference is in the variety they have in other genres as well. There's a major saturation difference.

test_account

XP-39C²

Fair enough. By the way, i think that this reply of yours would be a lot better to the initial quote instead of saying that people are heavily biased etc..

random25

I think the main problem with other Wii U platformers is that they aren't that strong of a brand in Japan, and with a small Wii U install base, those games will clearly suffer. To put it into context, much of the 3DS platformers from the same franchises did very well. But on the Wii U, if it isn't Mario sadly they really start slow. It's not essentially fatigue while it is still a factor, but the major reason for their slow sales is the Wii U not carrying these titles, which we've seen been done by their other popular platforms like 3DS, DS and Wii.

xaszatm

Banned
This means nothing to the general consumer whatsoever, particularly in Japan.

We still talking Japan here? Because the Metroid Prime deal wouldn't have affected Japan.

It's mostly the former, the latter is just annoyance. Nintendo largest problem isn't "variety". It's lack of good marketing. They got the idea with Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, and Smash. But many of their games go under the radar due to their poor attempts at advertising their games. The biggest of which is the Wii U itself, which never recovered from its atrocious and uninformative ad campaign.

Vena

Yoshi's not a strong brand, period.

It had legs on the 3DS, courtesy of a install base roughly 10 times as large, but even then it opened badly (if I knew how, I'd dig up NDS titles as well):

02./00. [3DS] Yoshi's New Island <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.07.24} (¥4.936) - 58.285 / NEW <57,59%>

And that's to an install base that's much, much larger and more active and still buying Nintendo's platforming IP as indicated by Kirby which, mind you, is also a 2D platformer and a really good one at that:

01./00. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800) - 214.208 / NEW <92,02%>

BOXBOY's performance, even as a cheap title, still shows an interest in purchasing 2D platformers, but not all platformers will experience this and certain brands just aren't good.

Yoshi is a stagnant IP, and the games haven't really seen evolution outside of aesthetics since Island, mechanics have seen minor changes at most and the IP is more stagnant than NSMB. There's no real brand growth here, it just more of the same and the titles were regularly farmed out to external developers. There's no reason for a fan-base to grow around these titles. Meanwhile, Kirby hasn't had drastic changes but each game is internal, well crafted, and long-legged because there's a definite quality that the titles are known for. Yoshi, if anything, is known for a lack of quality. Whether or not YWW is of a high quality won't matter in the short or near term because of all of the built up damage from farmed out, bad games that have defined the series' past for the last decade.

This lack of brand growth is, mind you, endemic in the industry right now with how safe everyone/thing is playing their cards in a turblent market. Its either a sequel or you've cloned Minecraft or CoD. It's actually rather surprising how much of a self-reinforcing loop Fire Emblem got after the successes of Awakening, and not just farting out another Awakening. (Seems like AC:HHD may follow a similar growth path from AC:NL.) Nintendo, in general, outside of projects that have been in the making for years now (like YWW) seems to have woken up and realized it can't just fart out 2D NSMB-like platformers and call it a day. They need to invest (as they seemingly have been as of this recent year or two) investing in growing their brands rather than letting them stew in their own mire for generations.

Every failure, safe 2D platformer is a much needed kick in the balls in light of Splatoon's success (and Toad's, and Tomodachi, and AC, and FE, etc). Variety is the spice of life (of a console).

Madao

i think part of DKCTF's massive drop from DKCR is that DKCR had somewhat of a mixed reception due to motion controls. i guess many people passed on the sequel because they thought it would play the same.

there's also other factors like DKCR relying more on casual buyers that completely disappeared on Wii U and people just being satisfied with the game to the point of not wanting another one (this last one is somewhat similar to why Metroid Prime 2 had such a big drop from the first one. lots of people didn't feel like playing the second one)

and the above are not counting on how almost everything has seen a massive drop on Wii U compared to past entries.

DKCTF had all the bad stars align on itself and it's a shame since it's better than the first one. let's hope it gets a port on the 3DS sucessor and gets some extra sales that way (DKCR 3D sold quite a lot and DKCTF's word of mouth is good)

regarding Yoshi, i think it will join Wario Land now in the pile of dead Mario sub-series (at least it should if things are fair. Wario's games were better than every Yoshi game except the first YI and yet Wario Land got canned last decade)

Takao

Banned
Throughout the ages: One of Nintendo's worst franchises

N64 : Yoshi's Story ( Nintendo ) { 1997-12-21 } - 53,428 / 852,864
GBA : Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island ( Nintendo ) { 2002-09-20 } - 95,596 / 526,458
GBA : Yoshi Universal Gravitation ( Nintendo ) { 2004-12-09 } - 34,389 / 261,317
NDS : Yoshi Touch & Go ( Nintendo ) { 2005-01-27 } - 52,407 / 197,337
NDS : Yoshi's Island DS ( Nintendo ) { 2007-03-08 } - 254,523 / 1,053,833
3DS : Yoshi's New Island ( Nintendo ) { 2014-07-24 } - 66,225 / 258,847
WIU : Yoshi's Woolly World (Nintendo) {2015.07.16} - 33.821 / NEW

Top Bottom