• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2015 (Jul 20 - Jul 26)

sense

With a shorter lifespan and tracking below PS3?

Doubtfull

shorter lifespan may not apply to japan imo. Sony launched PS4 late in japan this time and the wait might be longer for them next time. I have no doubt if there is a ps5 it will be backwards compatible with ps4 so a lot of games will come out on both and the price will drop to 199 or less sooner rather than later unlike the ps3. a ton of games are yet to come and many will be ps4 exclusive going forward as far as japan is concerned. i think tgs will showcase a lot more games this year for ps4 alongside a ps4 price cut to most likely 299 this holiday so lets see what happens. more developers will jump on board because it is easier environment to develop and third party engines are being adopted so it will lead to a lot more games.

Oregano

Correct me if I'm wrong but all current gen systems have peaked in their second year so if the pattern holds true this is the PS4's peak year.

sörine

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but all current gen systems have peaked in their second year so if the pattern holds true this is the PS4's peak year.
I think PS4 will delay that to next year with FFXV/DQXI. It's still going to see an almost guaranteed shorter cycle / lower userbase than PS3 though. Less of a decline than Wii/Wii U or PSP/Vita (which are really the biggest relative losers this gen) though, probably more comparable to DS/3DS.

Yes it's confirmed for 2016

IIrc they want it to release during the 30th anniversary which ends mid 2017.

and why would the pattern hold true exactly?

I reckon PS4 peak year will be when FFXV comes out, which I hope is sometime in 2016.

Jigorath

Banned

It won't. PS4 will peak next year with FFXV/KH3/DQXI/Price drop, it'll mirror PS3 peaking in 2009 when it got FFXIII/RE5/Slim.

I still think ps4 will do more than ps3 ltd when all is said and done.

In Japan, no. Worldwide is a maybe depending on how long this gen goes. Though I think Microsoft will kickstart next generation around 2018-2019 and force Sony to move on to the PS5.

Doubtful. PS4 will peak the year FF7r launches. Or next year if FFXV makes it.

Sexy legs for Splatoon as usual.

kswiston

sörine;173358345 said:
Not without a killer Family bundle again. They really dropped the ball there in 2014.

PS3 was last gen.

If he means this gen, what is he basing his statement on exactly? The Wii U (which isn't even done its third year unless we are counting 3.5 weeks in 2012 as year 1) and two handhelds?

sörine

Banned
I don't know then why to use so small sample size as current gen. It vastly differs when systems peak. Usually from range of second to fourth year.
3 systems isn't so small a sample in a 5 system marketplace. PS4 will peak later though because it's gotten a slower rollout.

Doubtful. PS4 will peak the year FF7r launches. Or next year if FFXV makes it.
I half expect FFVIIr to get moved to PS5.

ethomaz

Banned
The year looks good for PS4 tracking way ahead last year (+150% avg on weekly basis)... now it only will widen the YoY gap.

Wii U is bit up too but it is selling really close to last year.

L~A

The game hasn't been restocked anywhere yet. It will probably fall off the charts next week.

Come on, what are you doing Capcom?

Man, I really hope that whatever support Nintendo uses for its next handheld, production of new cartridge won't be as slow and costly as on 3DS.

There's a good reason no game has been using the 8GB card on 3DS, and if the 4DS doesn't have cheaper storage, dev are gonna compress the hell outta games since 4DS are boung to be bigger.

Fake edit: Monster Strike 3DS in Famitsu. 3D field confirmed (so game seems rather ambitious, and not just a straight port). I believe there's the Monster Strike Festival on Sunday, so we should expect a trailer then. Still planned for 2015 release.

sörine

Banned
If he means this gen, what is he basing his statement on exactly? The Wii U (which isn't even done its third year unless we are counting 3.5 weeks in 2012 as year 1) and two handhelds?
By both sequential years and fiscal years, Wii U is on year 4. It doesn't really matter that it had a late 2012 launch, we don't look at these things in terms of a full first year.

And what's wrong with looking at two handhelds in market where handhelds command ~70% of the dedicated market?

Vena

They are aiming for the series 30th Anniversary, which is 2016. I think the 3 million prediction was pretty ridiculous regardless of when it releases.

The 3DS will galvanize the PS4's DQXI sales. The number of people who care about next-gen graphics is obviously not large enough given that the PS3 is still selling more software by a considerable margin on Japanese titles.

It won't. PS4 will peak next year with FFXV/KH3/DQXI/Price drop, it'll mirror PS3 peaking in 2009 when it got FFXIII/RE5/Slim.

I wouldn't put any stake in FFXV hitting next year. KH3 will come out by the graces of UE4, unless Nomura over-engineers it into oblivion.

Jigorath

Banned
I wouldn't put any stake in FFXV hitting next year. KH3 will come out by the graces of UE4, unless Nomura over-engineers it into oblivion.

Square is starting their "marketing campaign" for the game next week at GC which doesn't sound like 2017 to me. Late 2016. It's coming.

The 3DS will galvanize the PS4's DQXI sales. The number of people who care about next-gen graphics is obviously not large enough given that the PS3 is still selling more software by a considerable margin on Japanese titles.

The difference between PS3/PS4 SKU's is minuscule in comparison to the difference of DQ11 on 3DS and PS4.

Come on, what are you doing Capcom?

Man, I really hope that whatever support Nintendo uses for its next handheld, production of new cartridge won't be as slow and costly as on 3DS.

There's a good reason no game has been using the 8GB card on 3DS, and if the 4DS doesn't have cheaper storage, dev are gonna compress the hell outta games since 4DS are boung to be bigger.

Fake edit: Monster Strike 3DS in Famitsu. 3D field confirmed (so game seems rather ambitious, and not just a straight port). I believe there's the Monster Strike Festival on Sunday, so we should expect a trailer then. Still planned for 2015 release.

Is that another potential million seller for the 3DS depending on the quality? I know it is extremely popular over there, but I'm not sure if it will translate like the first P&D game did.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Square is starting their "marketing campaign" for the game next week at GC which doesn't sound like 2017 to me. Late 2016. It's coming.

But, IIRC, that start will be represented by live streamings of Episode Ducsae 2.0 again and again, right?

sörine

Banned
It'll be an NX launch title like everything else.
Doubt that. Sony's already paid out for "first on" privileges and NCL's management seems to prefer blowing deals on bigger fish (MH, DQ, YW).

KH3 won't be a big deal in Japan anyway. It never really has been, even at it's height it was only selling around as much as the top Musou or Winning Eleven games. It's never been a big hardware driver.

Fdkn

But, IIRC, that start will be represented by live streamings of Episode Ducsae 2.0 again and again, right?

Duscae is supposed to be a region 10x bigger than the demo we got, with cities and stuff.

They won't be showing the same behemoth fight for 17 hours lol

sörine;173361981 said:
KH3 won't be a big deal in Japan anyway. It never really has been, even at it's height it was only selling around as much as the top Musou or Winning Eleven games. It's never been a big hardware driver.
Market it with a Frozen level.

Profit!

Jigorath

Banned

The stage demos for YouTubers is Duscae, but they're doing a full livestream for FFXV to deliver all sorts of new information about the game. Potentially even a release date.

sörine;173361981 said:
Doubt that. Sony's already paid out for "first on" privileges and NCL's management seems to prefer blowing deals on bigger fish (MH, DQ, YW).

My sarcasm has fallen on deaf ears it seems but "bigger fish"? Not a single MH, DQ, or YW has ever come close to FFVII's sales worldwide. You don't get much bigger than one of the most popular and beloved RPGs ever made.

sörine;173361981 said:

Is this real life?

Mpl90

sörine;173361981 said:

Err...KH2 sold over a million in Japan, and Birth By Sleep sold over 700,000 copies. That doesn't sound like something that can't be classified as a major deal, to me.

meh start for BASARA but dunno kinda expected

hard to say if Capcom will keep going with this, tbt, it's amazing they still keep making BASARA at this point ~_~

L~A

Is that another potential million seller for the 3DS depending on the quality? I know it is extremely popular over there, but I'm not sure if it will translate like the first P&D game did.

The potential is definitely there, if Mixi play their cards well. PDZ did over 1.5m by putting some efforts into it, so Monster Striker should do well too.

sörine

Banned
Market it with a Frozen level.

Profit!
Okay, I take it back! :3

Err...KH2 sold over a million in Japan, and Birth By Sleep sold over 700,000 copies. That doesn't sound like something that can't be classified as a major deal, to me.
Musou and WE also did over a million on PS2. KH is massive in the west but not so much in Japan. Even historically it's below the heights that SaGa, Mana or Chrono managed in their day.

DQ and FF (even now) are leagues above it. Those are major deals. KH3 won't even match DQH.

Mpl90

Duscae is supposed to be a region 10x bigger than the demo we got, with cities and stuff.

They won't be showing the same behemoth fight for 17 hours lol

The stage demos for YouTubers is Duscae, but they're doing a full livestream for FFXV to deliver all sorts of new information about the game. Potentially even a release date.

My sarcasm has fallen on deaf ears it seems but "bigger fish"? Not a single MH, DQ, or YW has ever come close to FFVII's sales worldwide. You don't get much bigger than one of the most popular and beloved RPGs ever made.

Episode Duscae 2.0 is not being streamed.

Ok,this is the actual Gamescom schedule

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1084325

Hamburg (July 24, 2015) — In less than two weeks, Gamescom starts in Cologne. Square Enix today announced details about the schedule for its Final Fantasy XV Stage at Stand B31/B41 in Hall 9, revealing the illustrious guest that await attendees from August 5 to 9.

Every day on the Final Fantasy XV Stage presents a different YouTube or Twitch personality doing a “”Let’s Play” of Final Fantasy XV: Episode Duscae Version 2.0 with live commentary for the audience. Attendees will be able to meet real Final Fantasy experts and top stars at the Square Enix Stand, like Mit Gronkh, the PietSmiet team, Gregor of Rocketbeans TV, and HoneyballLP and Nino of NinotakuTV. Additionally, every day the Final Fantasy XV development team will answer fan questions, give out goodies, and present the game live on stage from Thursday to Saturday. Here, visitors will also have the chance to be selected as one of the lucky few to try Final Fantasy XV: Episode Duscae Version 2.0 at one of the demo stations.

Right at the end of the first day, there is also a special highlight for trade attendees and Wildcard Holders: the Final Fantasy XV development team will present an exclusive “Active Time Report” live streamed directly from Gamescom. The one-hour live stream on Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. promises brand new insight into the highly anticipated RPG with exclusive information. Fans and visitors are welcome.

Those who cannot attend can watch the live stream at:

http://twitch.tv/squareenixpresents

On Friday and Saturday, we’ll also invite select cosplayers to showcase their elaborate costumes on stage.

The complete schedule for the stage show (all times German):

Wednesday, August 5

9:30 a.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with HoneyballLP
11:30 a.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with HoneyballLP
1:30 p.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with HoneyballLP
4:00 p.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show
6:00 p.m. – Active Time Report Final Fantasy XV Live Stream (Twitch)

Thursday, August 6

9:30 a.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with Gregor of RocketbeansTV
11:30 a.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with Gregor of RocketbeansTV
2:00 p.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with Gregor of RocketbeansTV
3:00 p.m. – Final Fantasy XV Q&A with the Development Team
4:30 p.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with Gregor of RocketbeansTV

Friday, August 7

9:30 a.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show
11:30 a.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with Gronkh
2:00 p.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with Gronkh
3:30 p.m. – Final Fantasy XV Cosplay Show
5:30 p.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show
7:00 p.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show

Saturday, August 8

9:30 a.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with Nino of NinotakuTV
11:30 a.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with Nino of NinotakuTV
2:00 p.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with Nino of NinotakuTV
3:30 p.m. – Final Fantasy XV Cosplay Show
4:00 p.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with Nino of NinotakuTV
6:00 p.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show

Sunday, August 9

9:30 a.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with Chris & Sep of PietSmiet
11:30 a.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with Chris & Sep of PietSmiet
1:30 p.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with Jay & Hardi of PietSmiet
2:30 p.m. – Final Fantasy XV Stage Show with Jay & Hardi of PietSmiet

Ok, yeah, it seems more / better than what I thought. Let's see if ATR will bring the news people are expecting, even if I doubt we'll get a release period.

So because its no possible longer to poo-poo the idea of Dragon Quest XI hitting a console, the general tone of Media Create threads going forward will be to downplay the PS4 SKUs sales potential compared to its 3DS counterpart. Predictable.

The way I see it, the 3DS version will obviously sell a good few million which is fantastic. The PS4 SKU will also sell very well too, relative to its install base, whatever that may be at the time. Considering both systems will likely get a limited edition 30th Anniversary bundle at launch too, its clear that Dragon Quest XI will have a healthy and successful launch, that'll please a pretty broad set of gamers.

This is Dragon Quest, and a mainline title at that. You know full well the standard rules won't apply and it will sell gangbusters on both systems relative to their respective LTD Hardware numbers.

sörine

Banned
Sales threads reflecting market realities certainly is predictable.

edit: Just for fun I'll throw out an early DQXI prediction; ~3m 3DS and ~1.5m PS4. I expect a better PS4 ratio than usual since the games are more differentiated. NX may throw a wrench in that though depending on which version it gets and when.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's unusual for a company to announce something like this unless they're actually planning it. If the NX faceplants or is a complete disaster to port to or some other dire circumstance comes up, sure, it won't end up releasing. I don't think there's much reason to assume it's not releasing until they say it's not though.

I'm not sure what you're asking me. I thought Level 5's conference was fine. They view their two primary markets as children's games for Nintendo handhelds and both children's games and casual games targeted at older audiences for smartphones. Maybe they're still running some kind of PS4 vanity title, but given it's fallen off the map, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to exit that business avenue. It doesn't seem to be a pillar regardless.

thank you for the cross-quoting/replying!
:D

Btw I agree with you.

on the specific of the OP numbers: Splatoon is really strong. this is the crucial info from this week's numbers. imho.

sörine;173364414 said:
Sales threads reflecting market realities certainly is predictable.

That old chesnut. Let's not get carried away here. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that its going to sell anywhere near what it will sell on 3DS, but I think that, of those who do own a PS4 in Japan...well, they'll eat it up. I'm sure it will be a successful launch.

On the topic of DQ11, I've seen the sentiment shared that "JPN doesn't care about next-gen graphics," which I understand and agree with. But then we're using things like DQH to back up that notion, and while that title to me is obviously different on PS3 and PS4, it's not a wild difference. The difference between what the DQ11 3DS title and DQ11 PS4 title look like is a wild difference though. It's not going to single-handedly save home consoles in Japan, but certainly seems like a big enough difference in the two versions to encourage success and double dipping. But maybe I'm totally wrong.

omonimo

Banned
Jesus Christ. Every time I see home console chart in Japan, I feel so depressed. I can't accept yet they are dead from awhile, it's just too much for my hearth. So sad.

Top Bottom