• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2017 (Sep 11 - Sep 17)

Oregano

And instead of investing more into a success like that, they let the series die. :)

Bravely Second still did okay in the west, although it still notably declined. :/

I now live in stupid hope that Acquire developing Octopath Traveler means Silicon Studio is developing a new Bravely

fortunato

Banned
Bravely Second still did okay in the west, although it still notably declined. :/

I now live in stupid hope that Acquire developing Octopath Traveler means Silicon Studio is developing a new Bravely

I wonder why Square Enix is not porting Bravely on HD platforms and PC. Maybe some contractual agreement with Nintendo? They're not hesitant to put their successful games on every platform under the sun, and Bravely (perhaps as a collection) might do okay-ish numbers on Steam and PS4 with relatively low effort.

Oregano

I wonder why Square Enix is not porting Bravely Default on HD platforms and PC. Maybe some agreement with Nintendo? They're not hesitant to put their successful games on every platform under the sun, and Bravely Default (as a collection, maybe) might do okay-ish numbers on Steam and PS4.

Nintendo paid for the games to be localised and published them outside of Japan. Depending on the agreement they might need to stay Nintendo exclusive outside of Japan in which case there's point in bothering with anything other than Mobile.

Is it possible there was an "incentive" to develop a monster hunter game on the PS4? The game has been in development for several years, hasn't it?

Oregano

Is it possible there was an "incentive" to develop a monster hunter game on the PS4? The game has been in development for several years, hasn't it?

I don't think there needed to be any incentive.

Capcom(amongst others including TPC) considered the portable/Nintendo hardware market dead after the 3DS. There was no other option than moving the series to home consoles and trying to become more popular in the west. Switch was never even on their radar.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder why Square Enix is not porting Bravely on HD platforms and PC. Maybe some contractual agreement with Nintendo? They're not hesitant to put their successful games on every platform under the sun, and Bravely (perhaps as a collection) might do okay-ish numbers on Steam and PS4 with relatively low effort.
It would look horrific on a TV due to how they made the games.

And instead of investing more into a success like that, they let the series die. :)
I wonder who they will partner with next when Octopath gets taken out back.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is that true though? I don't know enough about how they actually achieved it but they definitely have HD versions of all the towns/places as they are in the artbooks for each game.
Put another way, how many 3DS -> HD console ports can you think of in general?

Oregano

Put another way, how many 3DS -> HD console ports can you think of in general?

Revelations
Ex Troopers
MH3U
One Piece Unlimited Red
Castlevania: Lords of Shadows: Mirrors of Fate: Semicolon Abuse
Batman Arkham: Blackgate
Virtue's Last Reward
Zero Time Dilemma
MHXX HD

There's a few!

ggx2ac

Revelations?

And MH3U for Wii U.

Point being that Bravely Default has pre-rendered backgrounds and the Chibi artstyle which is why it's not going to suddenly look better in HD unless they had already made those environments in HD and downscaled them but I doubt that.

fortunato

Banned
It would look horrific on a TV due to how they made the games.

Is that an issue preventing a HD port, though? On 3DS too there are some pretty bad camera angles, because texture are sometimes really stretched out. Would it be possible to use higher quality textures? After all, everything is 3D; backgrounds are not pre-rendered.

And MH3U for Wii U.

Point being that Bravely Default has pre-rendered backgrounds and the Chibi artstyle which is why it's not going to suddenly look better in HD unless they had already made those environments in HD and downscaled them but I doubt that.

Bravely doesn't have pre-rendered backgrounds in the traditional meaning. Towns and dungeons are rendered in standard 3D graphics, though they are made to look like painted backgrounds (especially towns). If you look closely, you can see that they attach textures to polygonal structures. This is obvious as the game supports 3D.

Of course there were incentives. It's naif to think otherwise: publishers are more willing to take big risks if they have some incentive; lower royalties, marketing push, and so on. Sony might have simply talked with Capcom throughout the years to convince the management to try a proper MH entry on PS4. These are usual stuffs behind the scenes. Big publishers are always talking with hardware manufacturers when making their plans.

Revelations
Ex Troopers
MH3U
One Piece Unlimited Red
Castlevania: Lords of Shadows: Mirrors of Fate: Semicolon Abuse
Batman Arkham: Blackgate
Virtue's Last Reward
Zero Time Dilemma
MHXX HD

There's a few!

+
Ace Attorney games
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
PuyoPuyo Tetris (though HD versions were released at the same time)
Rhythm Thief
A-Train: City Simulator (was the PC released after all?)
Code of Princess

There are plenty.

test_account

XP-39C²
Fair call on the terminology. But I think everyone agrees the game is clearly a play at the west at the expense of the series' main Japanese audience?
Yeah, i think that is fair to say. In the end its about what makes the best choice in generating income.

This supposes that they couldn't have done the same without tossing away a chunk of their audience. You're framing this as if there is no way for a series to stagnate sans reinventing itself through "risk taking". And it wasn't *some* of their audience. It was nearly half of it. 7.2/6.8 million to 3.7 million. That a hell of a diminutive "some".

Reality of it is that Capcom probably couldn't afford RE6 (ie. a follow up to RE6 in RE7) in this day and age, that's probably the underlying shift to the lower budget RE7 and attempting to pivot on the PT-hype to sell the product. But just because a game has recouped dev costs (and failed all sales expectations metrics sans that one), doesn't make it a healthy venture or one that a company can proceed to repeat with their once most successful releases.

Risky/vanity projects are what healthy companies do to develop a portfolio.
Theres also no way to say how much effect RE7 alone had on the sales though. RE6 came out almost exactly 5 years ago (early Octoboer 2012). If Capcom had made RE7 differently than what they already did, maybe made it more like RE6, we dont know how much it would have sold then. Several of sequels have declined in sales despite having similar design/mechanics and we could have discussed that the reason for this was because the game was too similar and didnt feel fresh. And if Capcom couldnt afford another RE6, what would be another solution?

RE7 was in developement before P.T was released by the way. The producer of RE7 claims that the first person view idea was already set before P.T was released and the team hadnt seen P.T at that time:

Resident Evil VII and P.T. are both first-person exploratory horror games with an emphasis on atmosphere and jump scares. Even though the two experiences are similar, however, Kawata was also quick to point out that Resident Evil VII was in development before P.T. was announced, and that the team had already decided on a first-person viewpoint before ever seeing P.T. in action.

https://gamerant.com/resident-evil-7-silent-hills-803

As the article also mention, its possible that the RE7 demo was inspired by P.T however.

Of course there were incentives. It's naif to think otherwise: publishers are more willing to take big risks if they have some incentive; lower royalties, marketing push, and so on. Sony might have simply talked with Capcom throughout the years to convince the management to try a proper MH entry on PS4. These are usual stuffs behind the scenes. Big publishers are always talking with hardware manufacturers when making their plans

Personally, it seemed like a lot of unlikely PS4 titles have been announced. Star Ocean 5. Dragon Quest XI. Final Fantasy VII. And now Monster Hunter World. Maybe I'm wrong and there was nothing out of the ordinary about these titles either being announced in the first place or being announced for PS4. But what if Monster Hunter was one of several titles that saw the PS4 as an attractive platform due to incentives that existed to make the console platform more attractive and attempt to address the decline in the market?

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the west. Monster Hunter World on the PS4 could have more to do with Japan.

dracula_x

Yeah, i think that is fair to say. In the end its about what makes the best choice in generating income.

Theres also no way to say how much effect RE7 alone had on the sales though. RE6 came out almost exactly 5 years ago (early Octoboer 2012). If Capcom had made RE7 differently than what they already did, maybe made it more like RE6, we dont know how much it would have sold then. Several of sequels have declined in sales despite having similar design/mechanics and we could have discussed that the reason for this was because the game was too similar and didnt feel fresh. And if Capcom couldnt afford another RE6, what would be another solution?

RE7 was in developement before P.T was released by the way. The producer of RE7 claims that the first person view idea was already set before P.T was released and the team hadnt seen P.T at that time:

https://gamerant.com/resident-evil-7-silent-hills-803

As the article also mention, its possible that the RE7 demo was inspired by P.T however.
yep.

also, the game was already playable at E3 2015 (Kitchen VR). But, at the same time, nobody realized that it was REVII, people thought that just a new IP for PSVR:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...ity-people-will-literally-lose-their-shit-058

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If Capcom developed MHW having in mind that somehow PS4 will take off in Japan they are more mess than anyone could think.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
US/UM seem more like third versions but separated into versions like the main games instead of a single game like Yellow, Crystal, Platinum, Emerald. B/W2 on the other hand were new games set in the same region. In terms of content this is a significant difference and it's probably a key reason as to why B/W2 performed the best.I wouldn't expect US/UM to perform anywhere near as well. Maybe it'll hit 2m LTD.
Generally this is a strange decision from Pokemon Co. bringing out the third version so soon but they likely saw that the active userbase of 3DS is declining rapidly and the best scenario is doing this now. Sales will show how well things will go but the alternative of delaying the transition to Switch for at least a year wasn't ideal either.

Seems like DQ11 Switch might not be too far off....?

Sylvia's VA said he had already played DQ11.

First the PS4 version, then the one that he received, and is currently playing the 3ds version.

http://krsw.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1506142742/

Some people are even treating this as a hint that Switch DQ11 might have VA.
Is there any reason why those console warriors call Nintendo fans(I think) Pigs?Like that fanboyism comment in the comment section

fortunato

Banned
Generally this is a strange decision from Pokemon Co. bringing out the third version so soon but they likely saw that the active userbase of 3DS is declining rapidly and the best scenario is doing this now. Sales will show how well things will go but the alternative of delaying the transition to Switch for at least a year wasn't ideal either.

This.

Also, those games look like a very sub-par effort by Game Freak; just a few additional contents/alternative plot routes, and not much else (that's why they are released so soon). I can't imagine a scenario where the two games will not be highly profitable, even if they will underperform.

Oregano

Seems like DQ11 Switch might not be too far off....?

Sylvia's VA said he had already played DQ11.

First the PS4 version, then the one that he received, and is currently playing the 3ds version.

http://krsw.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1506142742/

Some people are even treating this as a hint that Switch DQ11 might have VA.

They're not going too do JP VA just for the Switch version so are they going to patch it into the PS4 version or try to sell it to that audience?(lol)

L~A

I assume that Nintendo also played a role here, they've clearly been putting a certain amount of effort towards continuous support for the 3DS (without compromising Nintendo Switch's own output).

That and Ishihara's comments about the Switch are pretty telling, really.

delaying the transition to Switch for at least a year wasn't ideal either.

Yeah, with how GF had trouble ensuring their games ran smoothly on 3DS-level hardware, I don't want to imagine what transition to something infinitely more powerful would be like. Hopefully they got some nice experience with their extra projects.

KtSlime

Is there any reason why those console warriors call Nintendo fans(I think) Pigs?Like that fanboyism comment in the comment section

Nintendo fanboys are usually called believers in Japanese, pigs is what they call the group of people who prefer voice acting over reading in this case.

mao2

Nintendo fanboys are usually called believers in Japanese, pigs is what they call the group of people who prefer voice acting over reading.
Nintendo fanboys nowadays are usually called ニシくん (nishi-kun) or 任豚 (ninton).

KtSlime

Nintendo fanboys nowadays are usually called ニシくん (nishi-kun) or 任豚 (ninton).

You are right, those do seem to be the popular words recently. However in these comment sections they are complaining about 声豚 - people who prefer voice acting, which makes sense because the article is about voice acting in DQXI.

mao2

You are right, those do seem to be the popular words recently. However in these moment sections they are complaining about 声豚 - people who prefer voice acting, which makes sense because the article is about voice acting in DQXI.
Ah sorry I didn't click on that link. Thanks. :)

Eolz

Not exactly, they did some browser spinoffs and gave a smaller budget for the main sequel!
Wonder what S-E's expectations were...

On the same note, said it before, but Octopath really makes me think like the Bravely team didn't get a big budget once again.
At least they're doing better work than the Setsuna devs...

Who thought that Terra Battle 2 was a good idea already?

Top Bottom