• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2015 (Sep 21 - Sep 27)

hiska-kun

God Eater Resurrection you think it will sell sub 50k? :D

GE:R, Kan Colle and Gundam should all pass 200k
plus a ton of games released in the next months

Definitely best winter holiday ever for Vita, seems like you dont have clearly an idea about the Q4 release for this system...

You shouldn't assume that it's the best Vita's Holidays. Kan Colle can be delayed again lol

Dragon quest builders and world of final fantasy don't seem like games catering to the same audience. With a decent price drop around dqb release which hasn't happened for psv for awhile I could see the system surviving for at least 2 more years. The ps4 version is for the western market. The PS3 version is most likely negligible so the psv will most likely benefit the most from those releases.
Btw weren't you the one that question whether the vita would even get games in 2016 and doubting that saga was going to even still be made for vita? It doesn't seem like announcements for the system are stopping anytime soon. The system will get games well into 2017 imo. Obviously Sony isn't the one that will be releasing games for it!!!

DQB should target to MC audience which is already present on PSV (I doubt a DQ fan will buy a PSV for Builders since it's more likely he or she already own a PS3 and if he or she has to buy a new platform for the game it will be PS4 given all the other DQ games announced for it). World of FF is a wild card - there are FF spin-offs which sold sub-200k and I'd not be surprised if it's one of them.

PSV is already decreasing YOY a lot (in fact it's the worst performer YOY among all active platforms) so it's hard to see how it will survive until 2017 outside a core niche of gamers. PSV already a price drop, new version and colors, an expansion and all of them were planned alongside a good lineup but nothing changed.

Announcements might continue because of Sony ecosystem but it's already becoming clear how third parties are incentivized in moving over PS4 so it will be interesting to see how long investments will be justified given decreasing hw sales, sw sales and no presence at all in Western markets.

Arzehn

I think the Vita's 2016 lineup already looks pretty good.

Attack on Titan
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
World of FF
Saga 2016
Project Setsuna
Danganronpa 3
Digimon New Order
Toukiden 2
Hatsune Miku Diva X
Sword Art Online
One Piece Burning Blood
+ton more of 50k-100k games like Ys, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, Summon Night 6

There's bound to be even more (like a God Eater 3). Doesn't look like they're slowing down at all to me. Will easily still be around in 2017.

horuhe

Theta Best Hit (9.28 - 10.4)

01./00. [PSV] Tokyo Xanadu
02./00. [PSV] Yoru no Nai Kuni
03./00. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2016
04./00. [PS4] Yoru no Nai Kuni
05./00. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2016
06./00. [3DS] Picross 3D 2
07./00. [PS3] Yoru no Nai Kuni
08./00. [PSV] Tokyo Ghoul: Jail
09./05. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
10./01. [3DS] Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

DQB should target to MC audience which is already present on PSV (I doubt a DQ fan will buy a PSV for Builders since it's more likely he or she already own a PS3 and if he or she has to buy a new platform for the game it will be PS4 given all the other DQ games announced for it). World of FF is a wild card - there are FF spin-offs which sold sub-200k and I'd not be surprised if it's one of them.

PSV is already decreasing YOY a lot (in fact it's the worst performer YOY among all active platforms) so it's hard to see how it will survive until 2017 outside a core niche of gamers. PSV already a price drop, new version and colors, an expansion and all of them were planned alongside a good lineup but nothing changed.

Announcements might continue because of Sony ecosystem but it's already becoming clear how third parties are incentivized in moving over PS4 so it will be interesting to see how long investments will be justified given decreasing hw sales, sw sales and no presence at all in Western markets.
Alright, I think we all understand by now that you don't want to see the Vita surviving 2016 and beyond. We get that, Ok. But this shouldn't be a reason to shrug off the surge of support that Vita has received for games in 2016 and might get beyond 2016. Even if majority of these are cross-platform games, does this even matter in a Media Create thread? PS4 still hasn't reached a user base that matches the Vita and it won't, even in 2016. It is highly likely Vita version will be the best selling one for the majority of these multiplatform games.

Your comment also ignores the lack of official support or incentives from Sony. They have released what this year? Did they make another price drop? New hardware? Nope. They just released a bunch of colors and called it a day.

PSV price drop and Slim version all happened in 2013, which makes it two year now. Nothing substantial has been made after these two announcements. Meanwhile Nintendo has released several colors, special editions, new hardware, and supported the hardware with franchise that can actually move hardware (Yokai-Watch, Monster Hunter and Pokemon).

3DS decline was only saved by the release new 3DS in Japan, which resulted in some stability for sales early this year. Funny that you talk about the West because if Nintendo hadn't released the new 3DS this year in the West, 3DS would have been deader than Wii U.

Call Vita failure or whatever you will, but downplaying the support it receives and shrugging it off simply reeks of ignorance. If the same multiplatform games were announced for the 3DS, your comment would have been completely different. Your bias is clear here. Not like it was a surprise anyways.

I am going to enter this "will the Vita be around in 2017" argument from a different perspective and say that while the answer will be yes, that will be due not to its success, but to the failures of both efforts to move the audience to the PS4, and the fact that the actual NX is imo unlikely to bear the slightest resemblance to the actual product discussed in these threads, which is delusional vaporware on par with a Peter Monyleux game.

In the former case, I think Sony is actively trying to kill the Vita, but I suspect they will fail. There remains a solid audience for games exactly like Digimon Cybersleuth, Sword Art Online, God Eater, Tokyo Xanadu or Falcom's other titles that

1. Are the right technical mix for the Vita, didn't max out its power early on for budgetary reasons, and therefore have continued space to increase production values for some time

2. Sell in the 70K-150K very reliably

3. Have a sufficiently capped audience that it is unclear if they would neccisarily benifit sales-wise from the 3Ds

4. Whose audience has no real reason to go to the PS4

There is such an extreme conservatism among both the remaining parts of the Japanese audience, and Japanese developers outside the top tier, that I can easily see many being happy with the Vita for years much as they were with the PSP, and to Sony's fury.

(Warning, some of what follows is speculation, but so is virtually everything NX related, and I think cold water on the subject is in desperately short supply, especially from a more technical perspective)

The second reason for my belief in a Vita zombie-afterlife is that I do not buy the NX future. The NX that is being painted, a console/handheld hybrid at whose core is an original operating system that can easily scale up and down software without burdening developers, yet run almost all modern engines is technical vaporware coming from a Japanese company. Even Microsoft, which has some of the best engineers in the world, would struggle with such an ambitious concept, and frankly did to break into the market with Windows phone. Even Apple took years to get IOS to scale properly, and to have universal apps rather than IPAD/Phone versions.

Japanese companies, by contrast, have never been players in the OS market, and have basically been a decade or more behind the West in PC development for sometime. For whatever reason, Japanese firms seem to struggle with OS development and engines. See the struggle so many companies had with the Unreal engine last generation, and yes I know documentation was an issue, but still. Currently, Sony and Nintendo seem to struggle desperately to implement even basic functional features on their console OS. Nintendo is a generation or two behind on Virtual console support, and substantially so regarding where Western homebrew developers are, and imagining something like 360 backwards compatibility coming from Sony seems absurd when they seem to find PS2 classics such a struggle on PS4. Yes I am certain they will get there eventually, but the point is they seem to treating it as a struggle a tier or two more challenging, than say,I suspect Microsoft's engineers would find the same thing.

This all brings me back to the idea that everyone seems to assume that Nintendo can not only release hybrid hardware, but have its internal engineer somehow develop their own version of IOS or Android nearly from scratch, get it to achieve far more ambitious things on vastly more limited hardware, and yet somehow make programming and engine support so simple in terms of having the OS do everything for developers that ports should be as simple and easy as to be free. That whole thing seems implausible, and sounds like the sort of nonsense you would get in 1993 supporting the 3DO. It is what dreamers looking at the market think would be really successful, rather than what realists burned by experience of it think would actually be possible. And i think a lot of wistful speculation from Nintendo figures about where the long-term future of the market and hardware lies is being confused with concrete plans for technical features in a product coming out in the next twelve months.

This is not to say that i believe the NX will be a disaster. I do not, though I expect a substantial decline from the 3DS. Rather, I think the final product will be vastly less ambitious technically than the assumptions that a lot of people have been making, because to try and produce the product that has been built up in people's head by speculation would be to in fact court technical disaster. It will be a 4DS, albeit one in which Nintendo makes extensive efforts to make it more developer and mobile port friendly, but will still rest on first party output with a bias towards portable offerings, albeit with an evolution of their current trend of having those converge with their console counterparts(see Smash 3ds, Mario 3d land). That will likely be enough to overtake the PS4, perhaps several times over.

That said, I do not buy the idea that its very appearance will instantly transform the market, end the current generation,and thereby finish off the PS Ecosystem approach and the Vita along with it. The actual process will be slower, the challenges for developers, especially much smaller ones as opposed to the big boys like Square Enix and Capcom who have not been deterred by difficult environments, much greater. Hence, I see no reason why the Vita software line-up which has found a profitable home on the console, is likely to max out budgets before maxing out system resources, and has already been burned by a PS4 porting campaign which is Sony subsidized will suddenly rush to abandon where they are comfortable for an unknown market on an unproven system where they have no preexisting audience. SE is enthusiastic about NX for the same reason they have been desperately trying to prop up the PS4; they need it to succeed because they are a company that has historically cared a lot about production values and its success would solve a lot of problems for them. But extrapolating that desire into either the highly niche lower tiers of the Japanese developing community, or into concrete results, seems premature. SE may pray for the PS4 and NX to be successful and finish off the Vita, but in the last year it is the Vita which has seen the greatest increase in their support.

I'm not talking about personal preferences - I'm just discussing by looking at market data and trends, and discuss future outcomes. I might be wrong - but this is true for everyone :)

Also, it seems disingenous to think that there is "a lack of official support or incentives from Sony" because I'm pretty sure that Sony incentivized a lot third parties in taking the ecosystem approach in order to develop multi-platform games on their platforms - this is true in both directions: PSV->PS4 (e.g. Dangaronpa, God Eater, Toukiden) and PS3/4->PSV (Koei Musou games, DQ Heroes, One Piece). While it is true that Sony ditched PSV a while ago, third parties were convinced to develop multi-platform games - and that is also why we saw plenty of announcements for PSV in the past few months. It's also worth noticing that Sony also released PSTV - which is now an acknowledged flop but it was a way to propel hw and sw sales.

Of course there have been many announcements for PSV in the past few months - and this is a good thing. We have witnessed how, though, being multi-platform doesn't necessarily do a favor to PSV (even when the only other platform is PS4, which is gaining consumers' consensus); see Senrak Kagura (from 150k to 70k on PSV) and Sword Art Online (from 260k to 185k). Also, pretty big multi-platform releases weren't able to crack the 100k mark on PSV: see One Piece, Samurai Warriors 4. That's why many of the >100k games Arzehn put in his list are more of a wild card in my opinion and might be more in the 50k-100k range: One Piece, Digimon (Cyber Sleuth sold 135k or so and we already witnessed a decrease on PSP from a successful Digimon game in the vein of Cyber Sleuth to a less successful game in the vein of New Order), Dragon Quest Heroes 2.

PSV is experiencing a 26% decrease YOY hw-wise; if this decrease will be confirmed at the end of the year, it means that PSV will sell around 850k units in 2015; 2017 is far away but we might see PS3-like numbers for PSV with not the same sw strength... So basically a barely dead platform (which is completely fine, it would be its 6th year in the market). Also, it is worth noticing that while it has one of the most surprising success stories in Japanese history - a Western game constantly selling in the 8-11k range that was first released digitally and is present on many other platforms -, hw sales are flat, and actually decreasing YOY, even though Minecraft should be technically able to attract a new audience (younger gamers). That's why I think that hw-wise PSV will not able to go too far from here onwards (that's just my opinion and I hope I have been clear myself).

Darius

Banned
Something that seems to get ignored is that projects mostly get greenlit way before the announcement or first footage is beeing shown. PSV actually showed year on year growth last year at least up to a certain point, even in October 2014 it was like ~200k up year on year. It seems that some publishers saw a positive trend and acted accordingly. This largley explains announcements like SquareEnixes Saga and releases that now aren´t too far off anymore. Since then the trend obviously is showing straight into the opposite direction. It also doesn´t help that next gen isn´t too far off.

Fisico

I'm pretty sure that Sony incentivized a lot third parties in taking the ecosystem approach in order to develop multi-platform games on their platforms - this is true in both directions: PSV->PS4 (e.g. Dangaronpa, God Eater, Toukiden)

I don't even...
These games wouldn't even exist if the PSV wasn't there, you do realize that right ?

We have witnessed how, though, being multi-platform doesn't necessarily do a favor to PSV (even when the only other platform is PS4, which is gaining consumers' consensus); see Senrak Kagura (from 150k to 70k on PSV) and Sword Art Online (from 260k to 185k). Also, pretty big multi-platform releases weren't able to crack the 100k mark on PSV: see One Piece, Samurai Warriors 4.

The same way how being multiplatform didn't do a favor to PS3 SKU back in 2012-2013, the same thing is happening now, being multiplatform does not expand your audience it helps to keep it the same at best and splits your userbase.

I'm just discussing by looking at market data

Then enjoy data, including some you mentionned partially below

Senran Kagura
PSV Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus 91,639 152,611

PSV Senran Kagura: Estival Versus Shoujotachi no Sentaku 49,365 69,665
PS4 Senran Kagura: Estival Versus Shoujotachi no Sentaku 26,091 36,710

3DS Senran Kagura: Shoujotachi no Shinei 53,951 91,811
3DS Senran Kagura Burst 70,569 94,344

3DS Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson 47,325 69,323

Sword Art Online
PSP Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment 129,222 200,845

PSV Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment 136,736 261,072

PSV Sword Art Online: Lost Song 125,441 186,012
PS3 Sword Art Online: Lost Song 43,562 65,280

One Piece Musou
PS3 One Piece: Pirate Warriors 627,214 828,132

PS3 One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 269,035 407,132
PSV One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 54,509 103,757

PS3 One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 81,387 146,994
PSV One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 42,845 75,962
PS4 One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 37,812 59,733

Samurai Warriors
PS3 Samurai Warriors 4 149,068 261,083
PSV Samurai Warriors 4 43,545 100,477
PS4 Samurai Warriors 4 10,672 24,672

PS3 Samurai Warriors 4-II 46,923 65,614
PSV Samurai Warriors 4-II 21,977 32,917
PS4 Samurai Warriors 4-II 21,246 29,231

Regarding Digimon and One Piece it's still too early to decide whether or not they'll cross the 100k mark (Digimon has movies coming soon, and for One Piece it's a brawler probably targeting the J Stars audience where the PSV SKU sold >150k), they have the potential to so though and they should clearly be closer to 100k than 50k.

God Eater Resurrection you think it will sell sub 50k? :D

GE:R, Kan Colle and Gundam should all pass 200k
plus a ton of games released in the next months

Definitely best winter holiday ever for Vita, seems like you dont have clearly an idea about the Q4 release for this system...

Alright, simmer down the hostility.

I forgot God Eater, you're right. That should sell well. I still don't think that really turns this holiday period around though, especially in comparison to 2013.

I guess I just always expect that tentpole titles with some holiday appeal will release during this period for Vita - maybe Digimon; Dragon Quest Builders, to give it a bit of a boost as a gift over the season.

Anyway, I do hope you're right about this year, I just don't see it. Gundam is releasing late (although will be helpful for New Year's at least); KanColle is likely to hit a dedicated fanbase hard and nothing after that (if it even releases this year) and God Eater will sell to the people who bought 2 or Rage Burst.

Powwa

I think Vita will be around in 2017 in Japan with mostly 50-100k releases and 2017 will be the last "meaningful" year for it. To think a lot of people in past MC threads claiming it would be discontinued by 2014, I must say it's quite an accomplishment.

Thanks to PS ecosystem Vita will be having it's best year in 2016 (Software wise). And I do believe in 2016-2017 we will see some NX-Vita multiplatform games.

Possibly later on mobile and to some extent NX will share the remaining PSV userbase, I do not believe they will migrate to home consoles.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
A bit early to talk about 2017 PSV support tbh - PSV right now is relevant because many engines and games dont run on other portables. Once NX drops this ends i expect 3rd Partys to focus their efforts on PS4/NX...not Vita/NX.

Unless NX bombs i dont expect much Vita support outside of the Uber Niche titles to hit the system.

Alright, simmer down the hostility.

I forgot God Eater, you're right. That should sell well. I still don't think that really turns this holiday period around though, especially in comparison to 2013.

I guess I just always expect that tentpole titles with some holiday appeal will release during this period for Vita - maybe Digimon; Dragon Quest Builders, to give it a bit of a boost as a gift over the season.

Anyway, I do hope you're right about this year, I just don't see it. Gundam is releasing late (although will be helpful for New Year's at least); KanColle is likely to hit a dedicated fanbase hard and nothing after that (if it even releases this year) and God Eater will sell to the people who bought 2 or Rage Burst.

I was not talking about hardware, and neither you in the reply I quoted, you started mentioning hardware in a following post.
Of couse HW will not have a boost from this line-up, but I was referring to the Q4 line-up and in my opinion it's the best line-up Vita had by now.
I didn't count how many titles are already planned from now to week 52 but I know there are a lot and as far as I remember it never happened in the past, I clearly remember some Q4 very poor as game releases, best Q4 was 2013 probably, with FFX but besides that not many other games.
That's the situation I was pointing out and which could be the difference from the past.

Vita over 2016 ?
If PSP lasted 3 years after Vita introduction, I don't see why Vita could not have relelases in 2017 with some ADV or all the genres which filled PSP line-up in the latest years.

I was not talking about hardware, and neither you in the reply I quoted, you started mentioning hardware in a following post.

2012 had absolutely nothing that I can remember (iirc, some of the lowest weeks in its history came in October 2012);

Oh? :p

Doesn't really matter any more, not important.

In the former case, I think Sony is actively trying to kill the Vita, but I suspect they will fail. There remains a solid audience for games exactly like Digimon Cybersleuth, Sword Art Online, God Eater, Tokyo Xanadu or Falcom's other titles that

1. Are the right technical mix for the Vita, didn't max out its power early on for budgetary reasons, and therefore have continued space to increase production values for some time

I'm actually wondering about the technical base lasting even longer. SAO games seem to be getting more ambitious with every entry (doesn't Long Song run kinda poorly on Vita?) and then the new one looks more ambitious still. Yoru no Nai Kuni, while not ambitious, seems poorly optimized on Vita.

Even though I'd have thought Japanese games would've kept the scale they had on PS3 which is more than transferable to Vita, there seem to be a few that are aiming higher and Vita doesn't seem to be enough for.

Yokai brand still seems strong, don't know why merchandisers said it is loosing steam. It was just insanely popular to regular popular.
Expected stronger numbers from a Pokémon game though. Mario Maker is killing it.

Edit: Rhythm Heaven: The Best + almost at half a million. Ah yeah!

Darius

Banned
To add to my previous post. The negative trend of PSV also could be one of the reasons why some publishers port more actively their PSV projects (likely greenlit in 2014/early 2015 when PSV seemed to have a positive trend well into 3/4 of 2014) to PS4 for multiplattform releases.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
PSVita support will continue, thanks to Sony's "PS scosystem" concept.
Btw it's somehow weird as also the 3Ds support seems very well shaped for next year (2016), despite it/them being the older consoles in the market

Then enjoy data, including some you mentionned partially below

Regarding Digimon and One Piece it's still too early to decide whether or not they'll cross the 100k mark (Digimon has movies coming soon, and for One Piece it's a brawler probably targeting the J Stars audience where the PSV SKU sold >150k), they have the potential to so though and they should clearly be closer to 100k than 50k.

Thanks: you have more updated data which strengthen my point (I was, of course, posting a comparison for PSV versions).

As for Digimon and One Piece - I said they're more of a wild card than certain >100k sellers; if we have to discuss this, it means that my point is, indeed, valid.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sega/Atlus announced Shin Megami Tensei 4 Final for 3DS, releasing on February 10th, 2016. Judging by the promotional art of entirely new characters and demons, it's probably more than a short DLC chapter for the game.

Vena

YSO predictions

Week 41, 2015 (Oct 5 - Oct 11)

zzz

Haha.

The second reason for my belief in a Vita zombie-afterlife is that I do not buy the NX future. The NX that is being painted, a console/handheld hybrid at whose core is an original operating system that can easily scale up and down software without burdening developers, yet run almost all modern engines is technical vaporware coming from a Japanese company. Even Microsoft, which has some of the best engineers in the world, would struggle with such an ambitious concept, and frankly did to break into the market with Windows phone. Even Apple took years to get IOS to scale properly, and to have universal apps rather than IPAD/Phone versions.

There are no hybrids in this discussion, this just shows you haven't been keeping up with the NX thread (even the most silly of floors we've drawn for the system based on off-the-shelf products will put the system several heads above the Vita in many ways; Nintendo would have to engineer their own weaker chips to somehow undershoot that floor). The scalable software has already been done and pioneered for Nintendo by NIST, which is their job, and NERD, making the wonderful scalable NintendoWebFramework. Nintendo's OS troubles and many troubles with the UI/GUI are tied to resource limitations on the WiiU/3DS, it has nothing to do with their competency and, even in the case where it does, there's a reason they hired DeNA to handle the backend account/server design. Companies are not closed off voids, they hire engineers as needed.

horuhe

Sega/Atlus announced Shin Megami Tensei 4 Final for 3DS, releasing on February 10th, 2016. Judging by the promotional art of entirely new characters and demons, it's probably more than a short DLC chapter for the game.

I'm surprisingly amazed with the 3DS line up for 2016. It's quite solid to be almost its last year.

Looks like a way to reutilize 3DS assets and stuffs and trying to appeal the audience that bought SMTIV and SH; indeed, the character design is quite similar to the latter.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Correction, it doesn't appear to be new characters so much as teenage versions of ones who were adults in SMT4, so I'm assuming it's taking place in the same world (and yes, presumably using the same art assets/etc).

I'm surprisingly amazed with the 3DS line up for 2016. It's quite solid to be almost its last year.

Last years are usually pretty good for successful (relative to market conditions) platforms. The PS3's line-up held as well, since generally you're either picking the 3DS or the PS3 as your target platform for a more notable game.

Obviously that's changing a bit as the successors are out or about to come out, but there's still some time to get in at the last moment before having to upgrade for a transition.

We saw this with the 360/PS3 in the West as well where the line-up was very strong even a year into the release of the new systems.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Out of curiosity, what's coming out for 3DS next year? I know SMTIVF, AA6, DQMJ3, and potentially DQXI.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Unless they're changing their annual schedule, we would having Monster Hunter XG (or traditional Monster Hunter something) in the Fall.

As of last week I am now officially invested in Nintendo. Mostly just to pay tribute to them for my childhood, would be cool if the stock made me money too, but definitely not why I did it. Hopefully mobile and the NX take off.

Haha.

There are no hybrids in this discussion, this just shows you haven't been keeping up with the NX thread (even the most silly of floors we've drawn for the system based on off-the-shelf products will put the system several heads above the Vita in many ways; Nintendo would have to engineer their own weaker chips to somehow undershoot that floor). The scalable software has already been done and pioneered for Nintendo by NIST, which is their job, and NERD, making the wonderful scalable NintendoWebFramework. Nintendo's OS troubles and many troubles with the UI/GUI are tied to resource limitations on the WiiU/3DS, it has nothing to do with their competency and, even in the case where it does, there's a reason they hired DeNA to handle the backend account/server design. Companies are not closed off voids, they hire engineers as needed.

No doubt companies hire engineers as needed, but this is not a minor engineering challenge. Nor are the OS problems Nintendo's. Sony also has dreadful OS support, and PSN is also a technical trainwreck.This is not a matter of skepticism about Nintendo being able to pull this off; rather it is skepticism about anyone being able to. Apple took years to get a system working, and even that has issues with backwards compatibility that would be unacceptable in a video-game product.

What you describe above sounds to me like a recipe for disaster. Not from a technical perspective, but from a management one as well. Yes you can hire outside help as needed, and you form partnerships as well, but specific experience will always trump general.In this case, having different companies manage different aspects of the product, and having large segments designed but temporary employees on an ad hoc basis.

In terms of actual hardware I have no doubt it will be more powerful than the Vita. But that really is not all that important in the short-run when the middle-tier companies are reusing assets and engines that already run on the Vita, and would need to either themselves be ported over to the NX(which would involve extensive work no matter how easy development is in abstract) or rebuilt from scratch, both at a time when their audience will not yet have any reason to be on it. In that sense, the importance of the "more modern" hardware mainly will be felt in mobile ports in the short-run, unless of course you buy the idea of it running scaled down PS4 ports, which is nowhere near as automatically simple as assumed. The obstacles that even companies like Nvidia have had in that direction, especially regarding heat and battery life, argue against it. The sacrifices needed to get the Witcher 3 to run on a Chromebook go far beyond mere graphical fidelity, which is why I am skeptical not so much of the idea that you cannot write scalable software, but that you can somehow do so without also limiting the scope of that software on the higher-end as well. It quite simply cannot include features that will not run at all absent certain hardware, at least not unless they are fully optional and therefore basically graphical settings.

All of the points you raise hardware-wise are reasons why the NX will supplement the Vita in the long-run. But none of them are magical short-term bullets as they might be in the West where you have far less use of proprietary engines that are still tied to very eccentric last gen hardware such as the PS3.

For that reason, I see the process being relatively gradual, much like the death of the PSP, taking place over the course of 2-3 years. Major third party titles will probably fade out in early 2017, middle-tier anime/rpg stuff will probably continue through 2017, and you will probably have a rump of visual novel-esque stuff drifting into the end of 2018.

Of course I could be wrong, but the real indication will be the NX announcement. Will it,as I suspect, be a de facto 4DS announcement with Capcom and SE on-board with a Monster Hunter title and some ports aiming for mid 2017 release? Or will you see the Vita "B-Team" such as Falcom, Tecmo Koei, etc out in full force with exclusives? I think you will get the former, with the B-Team showing up with ports in 2017, which might begin going exclusive in 2018 if they do well there and the Vita dies.

Everyone in Japan is far too conservative right now, and with good reason, for any such sudden market shifts.

Ōkami

Regarding 3DS' 2016 lineup, we have something like.
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV Final
  • Hyrule Warriors Legends
  • Snack World
  • Terraria
  • Yokai Watch 3
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Monster Hunter Stories
  • Zero Escape 3
  • Ace Attorney 6
  • Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3
As confirmed/planned 2016 titles, for speculation there's something like.
  • Yokai Watch Sangokushi (really doubt it's coming out this year after all)
  • Etrian Odyssey V
  • Likely also is a regular Monster Hunter game, a new one, XG, whatever.
  • Pokémon 20th anniversary games, I do expect more than one.
  • Possibly more Yokai Watch spin offs.

horuhe

Ōkami;180780244 said:

Forgot about Mario and Sonic, and some game not really important about WWII (that what says Famitsu)
So, yes. We could expect a great number of million sellers installments.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As a mobile update, both Square Enix and Capcom recently released games without Stamina bars/wait timers (Final Fantasy Grandsmasters and Monster Hunter Explore, respectively).

Here's how they've initially performed on iOS (the much more competitive environment) in terms of number of downloads (I usually don't do this chart, but since this is an unusual circumstance, I'm including it) and revenue.

To note, I put the scale on the Monster Hunter Explore revenue chart at 125 because it captures a lot more of the data. Normally I cut off at 100, so I felt I should note this. Its spot on the graph is 26, not 21.

Final Fantasy Grandmasters:

ffgmdlse0k2b.png

ffgmrevmfj4g.png

Monster Hunter Explore (note the revenue scale is different):

Monster Hunter Explore seems to be getting some traction with what I have to assume is an event. Its former grossing rank was pretty disappointing, but if it can hit this amount during events consistently, it could be an upper-mid-tier type hit.

That's not astonishing, certainly, but it's much, much better than Capcom has been doing on mobile otherwise.

If these games succeed, it could help propagate the perception that you can make money without stamina timers on mobile that White Cat Project helped establish.

Keep in mind, it's pretty early, and you don't really get a sense of a game's long term staying power until around the end of the second month. Obviously service games can change at any time, but it gives you a good sense of a game's initial reception to both the launch and updates.

casiopao

Ōkami;180780244 said:
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV Final
  • Hyrule Warriors Legends
  • Snack World
  • Terraria
  • Yokai Watch 3
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Monster Hunter Stories
  • Zero Escape 3
  • Ace Attorney 6
  • Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3
  • Yokai Watch Sangokushi (really doubt it's coming out this year after all)
  • Etrian Odyssey V
  • Likely also is a regular Monster Hunter game, a new one, XG, whatever.
  • Pokémon 20th anniversary games, I do expect more than one.
  • Possibly more Yokai Watch spin offs.

Pokemon Detective too i think.

casiopao

As a mobile update, both Square Enix and Capcom recently released games without Stamina bars/wait timers (Final Fantasy Grandsmasters and Monster Hunter Explore, respectively).

Here's how they've initially performed on iOS (the much more competitive environment) in terms of number of downloads (I usually don't do this chart, but since this is an unusual circumstance, I'm including it) and revenue.

To note, I put the scale on the Monster Hunter Explore revenue chart at 125 because it captures a lot more of the data. Normally I cut off at 100, so I felt I should note this. Its spot on the graph is 26, not 21.

Final Fantasy Grandmasters:

Monster Hunter Explore (note the revenue scale is different):

Monster Hunter Explore seems to be getting some traction with what I have to assume is an event. Its former grossing rank was pretty disappointing, but if it can hit this amount during events consistently, it could be an upper-mid-tier type hit.

That's not astonishing, certainly, but it's much, much better than Capcom has been doing on mobile otherwise.

If these games succeed, it could help propagate the perception that you can make money without stamina timers on mobile that White Cat Project helped establish.

Keep in mind, it's pretty early, and you don't really get a sense of a game's long term staying power until around the end of the second month. Obviously service games can change at any time, but it gives you a good sense of a game's initial reception to both the launch and updates.

Niro any new update on how much Idolmaster Starlight Stage have been doing? We currently just finish the first event for SR and gacha with Halloween character. I wanted to know how huge the revenue here.^_^

Vena

I don't visit these blogs so don't know?

One of my friend told me when we were discussing the game earlier. I'll ask him for source.

Thats within expectation of the first day so you don't really need a source, its completely believable and matches YSO, and Tatsuya's vague results.

sphinx

the piano man
PSV will be in shelves in Japan and everywhere around the world until Sony decides otherwise.

Stores can reduce space, put them in a corner, whatever, they will still sell PSV hardware and software as long as Sony demands it and stores will comply, period. This isn't nintendo, Sony has a very strong presence across several departments in all major electronic stores and you don't want to piss them off.

Seeing how every single PS hardware has lasted for a decade on shelves, PSV will follow the pattern.

it's surprising it was even a point of discussion here.

Top Bottom