• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2014 (Nov 03 - Nov 09)

Eolz

oh and i think pikmin 3ds will be next year also, going by miyamoto's recent comments.
I really don't think so. He already said they experimented with Pikmin on 3DS and it didn't work. Another one on WiiU or on the next handheld though? Sure.

hiska-kun

Some October Digital numbers (Sep 29 - Oct 26):

Minecraft (PS3) - 15k
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2014 (PSV) - ~10k
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2014 (PS3) - 8k
Driveclub (PS4) - 4,4k
Fifa 15 (PS4) - 3,6k
Dungeon Travelers 2 (PSV) - 3k
DanganRonpa: Another Episode (PSV) - 2,9k

PS Nova will bomb, in my opinion (i.e. will do less than expected). But I do think BS will be stronger than the predecessor.

of course, Nova is for Vita = bomba, Bravely is for 3DS, success :D

just for curiosity, how much you expect for Nova? 400-500k?
so of course you can say it's a bomb, isn't it ? ;)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
@Moor-Angol and Pennywise (is it ok to cross-steal nicknames?): I missed your ol' arguments. Now (inHD?!) even cross-continents! MPL90, didnt' you miss them?

;p

I start from the assumption that PS Nova should be one of the most important PSV titles ever, which is quite safe since it's a big handheld project, Sega is investing into it and it comes from an IP that sold wonderfully on PSP. When it was announced, I though it could rivale GE2 as the best selling PSV title, so around 400k -which would have been a decline over PSP entries in the series, understandable given the lower installed base-. Right now, I'm expecting something more around 200-250k units.

im curious, why do you think bd2 will flop/underperform?

I don't think he ever said BS will bomb. He was just cautious about an opening close to 300k units. This is understable, but I do think the fanbase of the game will bring the game to sell more than the predecessor, so such a high debut should not be out of question. BD sold more than 400k considering the expansion and the budget version.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Generally speaking people should argue against each other's points instead of against the perceived bias of the poster.

If you feel you can't do that, simply do not engage with them.

If you're arguing against someone and implying their bias, there may be consequences.

Now, obviously there are some crazy off the wall loonies from time to time, and yes some posters have regular biases, but let us handle that on the moderation end instead of jabbing people because you feel they like Nintendo, Sony, Apple, or whatever too much, and usually you should be looking hard in the mirror if you feel you see unreasonably biased people everywhere.

Edit:

Since I've gotten some confused PMs, to be clear, don't do things like this:

PS Nova will bomb, in my opinion (i.e. will do less than expected). But I do think BS will be stronger than the predecessor.

Ask for explanations, feel free to argue against those explanations, but don't just go "Well you really like Nintendo so you think Nintendo games will do awesome and Vita games will do poorly."

Now, the quoted person isn't the only one ever guilty of this, and it's okay to ask for numerical predictions if you feel someone hasn't illuminated their point sufficiently, but don't encase it within platform hostility.

Spiegel

Nothing wrong with expecting Nova to do 400-500k. That's the minimum I was expecting when it was announced.

Market realities such as Vita's micro comeback coming to and end this summer, a seemingly poor demo and lack of preorder interest will probably make this a much smaller affair than previously expected, though.

L~A

Nothing wrong with expecting Nova to do 400-500k. That's the minimum I was expecting when it was announced.

Market realities such as Vita's micro comeback coming to and end this summer, a seemingly poor demo and lack of preorder interest will probably make this a much smaller affair than previously expected, though.

Actually, there's a second demo, which is much better according to RyougaSaotome. Quite the improvement compared to the TGS one.

No idea what effect it'll have on pre-orders / sales, though.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
For Bravely Second, Square doesn't seem to care and I don't see this optimism some people see.

As for Nova, Vita's first big exclusive, successor of Phantasy Star Portable, if it struggles to match the sales of Infinity I wouldn't call that a big success.

Oregano

For Bravely Second, Square doesn't seem to care and I don't see this optimism some people see.

As for Nova, Vita's first big exclusive, successor of Phantasy Star Portable, if it struggles to match the sales of Infinity I wouldn't call that a big success.

Square didn't care about Bravely Default. It succeeded in spite of them.

Really it's FF Explorers people should be worried about. That is going to bomb big time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Bravely Second from a product perspective feels like a game Square Enix greenlit a sequel to because they didn't want to say no after the success of the first, especially since it's using external resources both at the top and for the bulk of the staff, but don't view as a notable part of their line-up.

I mean, to begin with, they didn't even start development until September 2013, and it has pretty extreme cases of asset reuse.

It doesn't really feel like a title where they were like "Oh, this can be a big franchise now, let's spend a lot on the sequel to get it there!" It lacks the kind of support and aggression we see out of Level 5 or used to see out of Capcom when they really believe in a product.

Bravely Second from a product perspective feels like a game Square Enix greenlit a sequel to because they didn't want to say no after the success of the first, especially since it's using external resources both at the top and for the bulk of the staff, but don't view as a notable part of their line-up.

I mean, to begin with, they didn't even start development until September 2013, and it has pretty extreme cases of asset reuse.

It doesn't really feel like a title where they were like "Oh, this can be a big franchise now, let's spend a lot on the sequel to get it there!" It lacks the kind of support and aggression we see out of Level 5 or used to see out of Capcom when they really believe in a product.

If I was a fan expecting a good follow up story, I get I would be out of luck?

Takao

Banned
I'm a lot less optimistic towards Nova's chances than I was a year ago. Interest seems kind of muted. Whether or not that's due to market saturation, lacklustre promotions or just an unappealing product is not something I can say.

Reception to the second demo seems considerably better and apparently Sega is doing a neat bonus where first run copies contain a voucher for 30% off of a PSN copy for a friend. Maybe it'll surprise me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If I was a fan expecting a good follow up story, I get I would be out of luck?

Well, I expect the game itself to be fine. It's just that I would go in with the expectations of something quite familiar.

For example, all the costumes and character models of existing characters appear to be exactly the same, and most of the world map seems to be resued.

I don't personally mind this part as I actually like seeing characters develop from game to game, but the existing jobs all have the same astrix holders as well.

Like, think about what you would expect out of a sequel put together from concept to finish in less than 18 months without a notable change in team size (at least, not a notable change upward).

If you played PC games in the 90's, this might be similar to what you'd expect out of a nice expansion pack.

However, given the treatment of the game itself, I expect the actual promotional efforts will be similarly slim, trying to capitalize as much as possible off of the existing audience/awareness instead of pushing notably for growth.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait Nova is not a PSO2 expansion or something ftp?

Nova is a local co-op retail game by tri-Ace made using the gameplay mechanics of PSO2, but not the same technological base or development studio.

Given Sega lists PSO2 as a big success every fiscal report, there's a fair possibility there that a notable chunk of their audience will just keep playing PSO2 instead, since they don't really change up the gameplay much to my knowledge either, and PSO2 gets monthly updates.

Oregano

And? Sequels don't work that way if they are ignored again. They won't suddenly explode at sales with low budget and marketing.

I don't think it is going to explode in popularity(though it would be cool if it does) I just don't think Square's lack of enthusiasm means much. After all I don't think what happened with Bravely Default is a common occurrence.

@Nirolak Won't be over two years between the two games? For the Sequel will have been made in that time but that had the benefit of implementing things for the sequels and it also kept a lot of team busy during pre-production.

I think Asano said they were starting on a sequel shortly after the original release. I do agree they are being conservative with resources though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think it is going to explode in popularity(though it would be cool if it does) I just don't think Square's lack of enthusiasm means much. After all I don't think what happened with Bravely Default is a common occurrence.

@Nirolak Won't be over two years between the two games? For the Sequel will have been made in that time but that had the benefit of implementing things for the sequels and it also kept a lot of team busy during pre-production.

I think Asano said they were starting on a sequel shortly after the original release. I do agree they are being conservative with resources though.
If you view FTS as part of the game's development (essentially being pre-production), then yes it's been longer than 18 months.

However, according to Silicon Studio's CEO:

Q. How long have you been working on Bravely Second?

A. We started in September, so about six months.

Q. Do you have a release window for Bravely Second?

A. Square Enix will decide when, but we don't have a date yet. Of course the development timeline is decided, but that doesn't mean it will be released right after development.

Given the second statement, the game could also conceivably be done pretty soon and just not released right away to boot.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I hope for around 300k for BD2 LTD
I like its old jrpg school feeling, and I think that selling less could jeopardize possible similar projects

FF ex is gonna bomb imho, even if on paper could be interesting

PS nova shouldnt be judged on PSP episode success imho. I see those numbers as a positive anomaly in the series

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

It was very clear I wasn't talking for lack of enthusiasm only from Square's side.

Busaiku

I remember when Bravely Default was revealed, it was supposed to be their next big title.
Wonder why they decided to loosen the focus.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I remember when Bravely Default was revealed, it was supposed to be their next big title.
Well, at the time Square Enix had a bunch of handheld games in Japan and a bunch of new IPs for console in development in both the West and Japan, and ended up canceling or not following up the vast majority of them.

Basically they did the same "let's laser focus down to a small number of almost assuredly successful titles and then put all our risks in digital or smartphone" that most other publishers followed.

However, a couple of oddities still persist due to prior success. Bravely Second and Theatrhythm are good Japanese examples while Lara Croft (they mostly don't make this kind of non-MMO, non-f2p digital game anymore) is a good example from the West.

Oregano

If you view FTS as part of the game's development (essentially being pre-production), then yes it's been longer than 18 months.

However, according to Silicon Studio's CEO:

Given the second statement, the game could also conceivably be done pretty soon and just not released right away to boot.

Well I think FTS was probably what the bulk of Silicon Studio was working on whilst they were starting to plan Bravely Second.

It kind of seems Bravely Second has been kept a bit under wraps so FF Explorers can have the spotlight for a bit. I think if FFEX wasn't on the way we would have a more concrete release window than Winter for BS.

EDIT:
It was very clear I wasn't talking for lack of enthusiasm only from Square's side.

Well I am not in Japan but I haven't really seen any suggestions that there is a lack of interest in the game especially considering we don't have a release date.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

PS nova shouldnt be judged on PSP episode success imho. I see those numbers as a positive anomaly in the series

I don't expect big numbers from Explorers but since i'm sure that 90% of random predictions in here are based only on comgnet I wonder what numbers make it a bomb.

Nova will be compared with Portable and deservelly so. It's not a title coming out of nowhere.

Well I am not in Japan but I haven't really seen any suggestions that there is a lack of interest in the game especially considering we don't have a release date.

You don't have to live in Japan and for third time I already gave a reasoning.

And? Sequels don't work that way if they are ignored again. They won't suddenly explode at sales with low budget and marketing.

Oregano

I don't expect big numbers from Explorers but since i'm sure that 90% of random predictions in here are based only on comgnet I wonder what numbers make it a bomb.

Nova will be compared with Portable and deservelly so. It's not a title coming out of nowhere.

Personally I doubt Explorers will do any better than Echoes of Time on the DS and SE almost certainly want more than that for the game. I don't think the game has seen a very good reception so far.
Because it looks pretty bad

I already said I don't see the game exploding in popularity.

I hope for around 300k for BD2 LTD
I like its old jrpg school feeling, and I think that selling less could jeopardize possible similar projects

BD sold around 400k when all it was said and done. BS won't sell less than the predecessor. I predict 400-450k units vanilla.

BD got an extremely good word-of-mouth over time. The budget version is still charting, quite unusual for a new IP in the jRPG genre. It has cult following; characters are really popular. SQEX doesn't need to do crazy marketing since fans know the sequel is coming.

What? When BD was revealed it looked like the sequel of a 200k title without the FF name. The general consensus was that it was going to barely crack the 100k mark.

Kandinsky

Nova is a local co-op retail game by tri-Ace made using the gameplay mechanics of PSO2, but not the same technological base or development studio.

Given Sega lists PSO2 as a big success every fiscal report, there's a fair possibility there that a notable chunk of their audience will just keep playing PSO2 instead, since they don't really change up the gameplay much to my knowledge either, and PSO2 gets monthly updates.

Oh I see, maybe this one has a chance of coming over D:

hiska-kun

Phantasy Star Nova Demos in shops
9D5AC7B7-6CA4-4C09-8AA3-34C065B6A742_zpsugubdhdw.jpg

Promotion for Amiibos starts in Japan
84553723-1244-4167-8F83-389CE1A67F99_zps9s9qzwzc.jpg

B3DD4701-3722-4852-BB72-95D1E980C244_zpsed0xhw6c.jpg

BCD134C1-01AF-40E1-9195-30727C99466D_zpsmj9jgsz7.jpg

91566A1D-34B4-4B53-B180-F8DAFAC84B4F_zpsejrcb8s5.jpg

Mory Dunz

Wait, that's the official picture for the banner thing?

A random TP Link drawing, and kind of ugly renders of the other characters?
And Tom Nook? (Unless his Amiibo is incoming soon)

Not that it matters much, just weird.
And and someone who does some graphic designing, the clashing is jarring.

i don't see anyone expecting bd2 to "explode" in sales, personally i expect it to launch better than the first and sell better overall, mostly thanks to how well bd performed critically and commercially.

and yeah bd succeeded in spite of se's ignorance, as long as the game is good i don't see why the sequel won't do well.

I don't think he ever said BS will bomb. He was just cautious about an opening close to 300k units. This is understable, but I do think the fanbase of the game will bring the game to sell more than the predecessor, so such a high debut should not be out of question. BD sold more than 400k considering the expansion and the budget version.
300k is a little optimistic, but i don't think it's unreasonable given the circumstances.

250k is probably the ceiling for first week sales imo, but i certainly see why people and chris specifically is being more pessimistic.

Out of curiousity, how did theatherythm 1 and curtain call do?

Road maintains this site, which is fantastic for those sorts of questions

Theatrhythm 1 had FW sales of 68,901 and LTD of 163,098 as of 12/30/2012

Curtain Call had FW sales of 75,867 and LTD of 127,949 as of 6/29/2014 with an additional 10,728 DL's although that's probably not as accurate

hiska-kun

Out of curiousity, how did theatherythm 1 and curtain call do?

Media Create:

[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (Square Enix) {2012.02.16} (¥6.090) - 168.677

Curtain Call hasn't sold its first shipment:

First week:
[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call # <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.04.24} (¥6.264) - 80.523 / NEW <55,72%>

Last number known: (By May 25th)
[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call # <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.04.24} (¥6.264) - 123.606

Media Create:

[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (Square Enix) {2012.02.16} (¥6.090) - 168.677

Curtain Call hasn't sold its first shipment:

First week:
[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call # <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.04.24} (¥6.264) - 80.523 / NEW <55,72%>

Last number known: (By May 25th)
[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call # <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.04.24} (¥6.264) - 123.606
oh man and curtain call did pretty good too, not sure why se shipped so much when the first game only sold as much as cc's shipment.

hiska-kun

oh man and curtain call did pretty good too, not sure why se shipped so much when the first game only sold as much as cc's shipment.

The first game had big stock problems at launch:

03./00. [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.02.16} (¥6.090) - 67.206 / NEW <90,04%>

Retailers didn't want to make the same mistake and ordered too much this time.

CANLI

Dang, what's with the low One Piece debut.

I own the unlimited red. I know that grand battle x is made by ganbarion but i'll not buy it, eventhough i'm a big one piece and JUS fan, because the release price is too high aaaand we can't see the real face of Sabo.

I think that many people are thinking like that.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Don't know if this was posted or not.

Marvelous AQL results:

1H FY 2015
Net Sale - 11,387
Operating Income - 1,449
Net Income - 934

On Packaged sales:

At the Company's sales sector of the Consumer Game Business segment, three new titles were launched ("SENRAN KAGURA 2 (Nintendo 3DS)" on August 7, "Bakumatsu Rock: Ultra Soul (PS Vita/PSP)" on September 25, and "KINKI NO MAGNA (Nintendo 3DS)" on October 2) with sales for the period recognized on a delivery basis. All three titles missed sales projections.

http://pdf.irpocket.com/C7844/XN1V/MNF5/yj7f.pdf

The New 3DS and New 3DS XL have sold over 500,000 units in five weeks, according to sales tracker Media Create. As it turns out, this was the same case for DSi. That system released on November 1, 2008 and sold over 500,000 units in five weeks.

Annual sales of the DS series (2,492,000 units) on the week before the release of the DSi in 2008 were 42.93 percent under the previous year. Similarly, annual sales of the 3DS series (1,600,000 units) on the week before the release of the New 3DS and New 3DS XL were 49.55 percent under the previous year. This is an indication that both systems were released under similar situations.

Total DSi sales hit 1 million units in its eighth week (third week of December 2008), and ended up with 1,231,000 sales by the end of 2008. While the situation isn’t exactly the same because the timing of release is one month different than the DSi, Media Create believes that the New 3DS and New 3DS XL will likely sell 1.2 million by the end of 2014 thanks to the arrival of AAA titles.

There’s one other piece of notable information from Media Create as well. The New 3DS XL saw a 121.58 percent sales increase this week due to the release of the special Smash Bros. system, which moved 13,000 units. However, it did not make a major contribution to sales of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, as the game dropped from 29,000 copies last week to 25,000 copies this week.

Media Create via Nintendo Everything

In a nutshell:
  • New 3DS and New 3DS XL have sold 500k units by far;
  • MC is expecting the revisions to sell an additional 700k units this year;
  • SSB version of 3DS XL sold 13k units, but the game sold less than the previous week (it wasn't included in the special edition.

700k units seem a bit low for the rest of November and the whole December.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I think that it not being able to match FFCC DS numbers would be a bomb, considering that even if the 3ds is not the DS MH crowd should support it

The first game had big stock problems at launch:

03./00. [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.02.16} (¥6.090) - 67.206 / NEW <90,04%>

Retailers didn't want to make the same mistake and ordered too much this time.
despite shortages, total numbers for theatrhythm wasn't that high, it was a good idea to ship more but they went a little overboard imo.

In a nutshell:
  • SSB version of 3DS XL sold 13k units, but the game sold less than the previous week (it wasn't included in the special edition.

yeah 700k is far too low.

last year during this period, mh4 and pokemon was really the only games moving hardware and to a less extent p&d

this year we have mh/pokemon/smash/yw and the revision, yet mc expects hardware sales to be less during this quarter.

sure the revision hasn't pushed the 3ds over last year's numbers so far, but its not a huge gap when you compare weekly sales

next week will probably show a drop but i think pokemon week will be when 3ds weekly sales will be better than last year.

oh and last year ps3/vita/wii u was also selling better, this year 3ds will be eating up everything.

I think that it not being able to match FFCC DS numbers would be a bomb, considering that even if the 3ds is not the DS MH crowd should support it

The only FF spin-offs that were able to match, or sold more than, Crystal Chronicles on DS were the two Dissida and Type-0; those were AAA projects in the handheld dimension, while Explorers look a cheap cash-in. Anyway, I'm expecting holidays will drive its sales a bit.

Edit: to be clear, FF spin-offs released after CC on DS.

In a nutshell:

Very impressive to be selling on a par with the DSi, and yeah, just another 700k with the Christmas rush seem a huge underestimate. I'd predict over a million myself, especially with the games coming out.

Hopefully this really will breath at least another year of life into the 3DS.

its gonna be interesting what capcom does regarding mh5, if we go by history, it should come out in exactly 2 years, which is when 3ds successor will be nearly out, will they move on to it or will they stick to the 3ds? another possibility is if they release another expansion next year so they can buy more time to work on mh5 and see where they go moving forward.

they can always go multiplatform between 3ds and its successor also, like twilight princess.

if 3ds' successor comes out earlier than expected, like late next year/early 2016, they can also go multiplatform between 3ds and its successor, which means they can capitalize on the 3ds userbase but also start building the fanbase on 3ds' successor, i don't think this is gonna happen though.

and im not trying to make it look like capcom has any obligations to help nintendo with their hardware, but going by what happened with mh3g and mh4, it's clear capcom and nintendo has a very good relationship, at least with mh, that they plan out the franchise's future long before the chosen platform is even released.

The only FF spin-offs that were able to match, or sold more than, Crystal Chronicles on DS were the two Dissida and Type-0; those were AAA projects in the handheld dimension, while Explorers look a cheap cash-in. Anyway, I'm expecting holidays will drive its sales a bit.
i think expectations should be tempered a bit, i think it'll sell around 200-300k rather than 500k range, just because the FF brand just isn't as strong as it use to be.

there hasn't been any 3ds/vita ff releases in a long time, let alone spin-offs, so it's hard to say how well the game will sell in general.

Top Bottom