• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 5, 2012 (Jan 30 - Feb 05)

Takao

Banned
Famitsu numbers for portable Tekken games:

[PSP] Tekken: Dark Resurrection (Bandai Namco) - 54,764 / 114,734
[PSP] Tekken: Dark Resurrection [PSP the Best] (Bandai Namco) - / 92,897
[PSP] Tekken 6 (Bandai Namco) - 29,240 / 49,549

I can't find Tekken Advance numbers.

3DS has a larger userbase now than when PSP got Dark Resurrection, but there's no way Prime Edition will do those numbers.

Famitsu numbers for portable Tekken games:

[PSP] Tekken: Dark Resurrection (Bandai Namco) - 54,764 / 114,734
[PSP] Tekken: Dark Resurrection [PSP the Best] (Bandai Namco) - / 92,897
[PSP] Tekken 6 (Bandai Namco) - 29,240 / 49,549

I can't find Tekken Advance numbers.

3DS has a larger userbase now than when PSP got Dark Resurrection, but there's no way Prime Edition will do those numbers.

And PSP had a larger base when it got Tekken 6.

Takao

Banned
And PSP had a larger base when it got Tekken 6.

Yes, which is why I didn't mention it. Tekken 6 on PSP was very much a late port of the console game with some smaller additions than what both Dark Resurrection (which was like a Tekken 5.5) and 3D Prime Edition (Tekken 6.5) received. I think it's obvious that there's something wrong going on with the franchise since Tekken 6's Famitsu ltd isn't even DR's first week.

I don't know much about Tekken (though it is the fighting franchise I actually follow to a degree) but was 6 an entry a lot of fans didn't care for?

Yes, which is why I didn't mention it. Tekken 6 on PSP was very much a late port of the console game with some smaller additions than what both Dark Resurrection (which was like a Tekken 5.5) and 3D Prime Edition (Tekken 6.5) received. I think it's obvious that there's something wrong going on with the franchise since Tekken 6's Famitsu ltd isn't even DR's first week.

I don't know much about Tekken (though it is the fighting franchise I actually follow to a degree) but was 6 an entry a lot of fans didn't care for?

Sales-wise and among home console entries, it's the least successful, but probably in arcades is still very popular. Btw, Prime Edition is more Tekken 6.1 than 6.5, since it has no new characters (just Young Heihachi) but some new stages and the movie.

4. [PS3] Soul Calibur IV (Namco Bandai Games) - 74,607 / NEW
6. [360] Soul Calibur IV (Namco Bandai Games) - 34,786 / NEW

02./00. [PS3] Soul Calibur V <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.02} (¥8.380) - 34.328 / NEW
16./00. [360] Soul Calibur V <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.02} (¥8.380) - 7.679 / NEW

What a fail.

Wow.

Takao

Banned
Sales-wise and among home console entries, it's the least successful, but probably in arcades is still very popular. Btw, Prime Edition is more Tekken 6.1 than 6.5, since it has no new characters (just Young Heihachi) but some new stages and the movie.

No new characters? So why does Prime Edition even exist? I was under the impression it was meant to be T6's Dark Resurrection, but that had a few new characters, and seemingly more changes. Did Scamco just want to flaunt their 60fps 3D engine or something?

Also Blood Vengeance will probably be bundled with every Tekken game in the immediate future, lol. It's on Tekken Hybrid, and it'll probably be on whatever Scamco calls the Vita game Harada had hinted about. Won't be surprised if it's a preorder bonus for Tekken Tag 2, haha.

No new characters? So why does Prime Edition even exist? I was under the impression it was meant to be T6's Dark Resurrection, but that had a few new characters, and seemingly more changes. Did Scamco just want to flaunt their 60fps 3D engine or something?

Also Blood Vengeance will probably be bundled with every Tekken game in the immediate future, lol. It's on Tekken Hybrid, and it'll probably be on whatever Scamco calls the Vita game Harada had hinted about. Won't be surprised if it's a preorder bonus for Tekken Tag 2, haha.

As far as we know, there are no new characters, and it takes the set of moves from 6 without changes. Probably Namco Bandai just wanted to create a portable Tekken for 3DS without much effort.

I knew that goose.

Just that a demo in April must mean a relatively close release date. I didn't expect that.

Well, they released a demo showing a bit of AR in September...

donny2112

EDIT: Doh, i only checked games that were released in 2011. It is of course possible that older games still kept on selling as well :)

Tons on Wii. Not so much on PS3. So, yeah, if you're going to (unintentionally) slant the results toward the system actually getting new releases, it's going to see much worse than it actually is.

But how much of that 8,8 milions are nintendo published titles ?

Nintendo evergreens don't leave that much space to 3rd party titles.
Nope but it explains nicely why 3rd parties abandoned Wii.

Ugh, this ignorance again. Third-parties never fully came to the table when it came to Wii. They had heavily invested in the HD-architecture and abandoned their GameCube development. That led to Wii basically being a "new" development platform without an easy porting method, which led to lack of ports and default exclusives by companies' B and C and D teams. Combined with not even putting forward much advertising to let people know about those B, C, and D-team efforts, and you a self-fulfilling prophecy of little effort => little sales => less effort. Nintendo didn't help the matter much either, by being late to get any "big" third-party games on the system, exclusive or otherwise, to provide an umbrella for similar-type games. This is what led to the low third-party sales on Wii and not some magical property of Nintendo evergreens forcing out third-parties, nor of some imaginary "cap" on total sales that Nintendo titles took the lion's share of, or whatever other justification you want to reach for as to why third-parties should've never tried on Wii in the first place.

test_account

XP-39C²
Tons on Wii. Not so much on PS3. So, yeah, if you're going to (unintentionally) slant the results toward the system actually getting new releases, it's going to see much worse than it actually is.
It wasnt a slant at all, neither intentionally or unintentionally. I didnt say anything bad about the Wii sales either. I know that some of these types of messages have a "hidden agenda" behind them, but not all of these messages have that. I just commented earlier saying that if we're talking about the total software sales in general (as in all games for a system), then the PS3 sold better recently. Then i checked the sales between 1. January and 31. December 2011, but completely forgot that it only accounted for the games that were released in 2011, hence the "doh" :) The PS3 still sold more, so my point didnt change much, but i felt the need to mention why i made the mistake (when i said "sold about twice as much") regardless.

Road

t1329145200z0.png

Prediction League

[3DS] New Love Plus - 99,999
[PS3] Binary Domain - 77,777
[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - 55,555
[PSP] Samurai Warriors 3 Z Special - 22,222
[3DS] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV - 11,111
[PSV] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV - 3,333

disco

[3DS] New Love Plus - 104,000
[PS3] Binary Domain - 65,000
[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - 60,000
[PSP] Samurai Warriors 3 Z Special - 30,000
[3DS] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV - 9,000
[PSV] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV - 3,000

Nekki

Thanks for the replies everybody, helps me get a better perspective on the situation.

Maybe i should do some more digging but i might as well ask, what are the software totals between 3DS and Vita as of now??

And even if i'm new, i've been lurking around a long time... although i still don't know much about this. I'll contribute with some predictions helped by seeing what others have picked.

[3DS] New Love Plus - 115,000
[PS3] Binary Domain - 50,000
[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - 80,000
[PSP] Samurai Warriors 3 Z Special - 28,000
[3DS] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV - 12,000
[PSV] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV - 6,000

[3DS] New Love Plus - 75,000
[PS3] Binary Domain - 65,000
[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - 55,000
[PSP] Samurai Warriors 3 Z Special - 21,000
[3DS] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV - 3,300
[PSV] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV - Doesn't chart

Cool choice of avatar.
Thanks!

Did Scamco just want to flaunt their 60fps 3D engine or something?
And it's not even 3D when playing online... Anyhow, another goal was, apparently, to make a more accessible Tekken on a new platform where it can grab some new fans for the franchise. Since it is thus not really aimed at the core Tekken audience, they probably figured that adding fresh content and up to date balance was less important. I'm not sure they'll have too much success with that, though.

duckroll

Based on ratings on JP PSN (you have to buy a game to be able to rate it), Ragnarok Odyssey has sold at least 1,000+ copies on PSN, and Gravity Daze has sold at least 700+ copies on PSN.

Update: Gravity Daze has now definitely broken 1000 sales on PSN. Here is a comparison from yesterday's numbers with today's numbers:

Ragnarok Odyssey: 1013 -> 1132
Gravity Daze: 739 -> 1104

Please note that these are the number for user ratings for the game on PSN. Only those who have bought the product digitally can rate that product, but ratings are not required so they do not represent total sales, only minimum possible sales.

Update: Gravity Daze has now definitely broken 1000 sales on PSN. Here is a comparison from yesterday's numbers with today's numbers:

Please note that these are the number for user ratings for the game on PSN. Only those who have bought the product digitally can rate that product, but ratings are not required so they do not represent total sales, only minimum possible sales.
So, Gravity Daze first week could be better than Rgnarok.

And it's not even 3D when playing online... Anyhow, another goal was, apparently, to make a more accessible Tekken on a new platform where it can grab some new fans for the franchise. Since it is thus not really aimed at the core Tekken audience, they probably figured that adding fresh content and up to date balance was less important. I'm not sure they'll have too much success with that, though.

If the intention is to grab new fans, Namco should not expect a boom at the beginning, but sales diluted over time.

Luigiv

That's a bit of an oversight on Sony's part, really. There's no reason they can't let those who bought the retail versions vote too. Good for sales age discussion, though, I guess.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That's a bit of an oversight on Sony's part, really. There's no reason they can't let those who bought the retail versions vote too. Good for sales age discussion, though, I guess.

I don't really think its an oversight at all. I prefer the way Sony does it. Otherwise you'll end up with crap like Metacritic's user ratings (well to a much lesser extent given the platform restrictions) where people are flooding with votes of 5 stars or 0 stars on a game they've never even played.

I don't really think its an oversight at all. I prefer the way Sony does it. Otherwise you'll end up with crap like Metacritic's user ratings (well to a much lesser extent given the platform restrictions) where people are flooding with votes of 5 stars or 0 stars on a game they've never even played.

Luigiv mentioned letting people who bought retail vote as well, not people who didn't bought the game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'll give it a go:

[3DS] New Love Plus - 60,000
[PS3] Binary Domain - 100,000
[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - 50,500
[PSP] Samurai Warriors 3 Z Special - 20,000
[3DS] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV - 15,000
[PSV] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV - 16,000

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
[3DS] New Love Plus - 73.420
[PS3] Binary Domain - 80.210
[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - 51.101
[PSP] Samurai Warriors 3 Z Special - 23.340
[3DS] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV - 15.781
[PSV] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV - 6.333

hsukardi

You'll need some infrastructure to identify whether someone played something, it's not too difficult but it's do-able. Ultimately, very few are interested in rating games on PSN just because they've played it on retail disc..

Busaiku

If I'm not mistaken, the Vita does take record of retail games you play too so it should be a trivial addition.

But no retail 3DS games can be downloaded like with Vita games.
I don't know if this should present complications or not, but that could be an issue?

Luigiv

But no retail 3DS games can be downloaded like with Vita games.
I don't know if this should present complications or not, but that could be an issue?

No it wouldn't be an issue in the slightest. Retail 3DS games will be downloadable eventually too.

duckroll

I don't think you guys understand what the rating system is about. It's part of the Playstation Store. It's not about rating a game, but rather a product on the store. Everything that is available on the store can be rated as long as you get it from the store. It's not about how good the game itself is, but the product on the store.

If you're talking about having some sort of general system on the OS where you rate games you have played, sure that would be a neat feature, but it's completely different from what we're talking about here.

[3DS] New Love Plus - 180 000
[PS3] Binary Domain - 90 000
[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - 65 000
[PSP] Samurai Warriors 3 Z Special - 25 000
[3DS] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV - 15 000
[PSV] Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV - 5 000

Rolf NB

I don't think you guys understand what the rating system is about. It's part of the Playstation Store. It's not about rating a game, but rather a product on the store. Everything that is available on the store can be rated as long as you get it from the store. It's not about how good the game itself is, but the product on the store.

If you're talking about having some sort of general system on the OS where you rate games you have played, sure that would be a neat feature, but it's completely different from what we're talking about here.
Don't see the big problem. Pressing triangle on a game on the XMB side already brings up a context menu. Adding a rating option there wouldn't be a huge new endeavour. The ratings database should, of course be unified and use the same data for XMB ratings and PS Store ratings. And then it would be exactly what we're talking about.

PS3 game discs all have ID codes, which are currently used for tracking save data, patching and possibly some other things. There's no technical barrier preventing a link between that ID and a ratings database.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm glad that the ranking system on PS Store is only limited to digital download. Eventhough this ranking system doesnt tell much about the total sales, at least we know the minimum sales through DD. This wouldnt be the case if they allowed both DD and retail version of the games to be mixed.

duckroll

Don't see the big problem. Pressing triangle on a game on the XMB side already brings up a context menu. Adding a rating option there wouldn't be a huge new endeavour. The ratings database should, of course be unified and use the same data for XMB ratings and PS Store ratings. And then it would be exactly what we're talking about.

PS3 game discs all have ID codes, which are currently used for tracking save data, patching and possibly some other things. There's no technical barrier preventing a link between that ID and a ratings database.

Like I said, we're then discussing different things completely. The rating system as it is, is only meant to be part of the store. It was created by the people who designed the store, not the OS.

Luigiv

That's one way to look at it. On the other hand the DD and retail versions of the game should be identical anyway (the single submission process guarantees that) so in the end they'd be voting on the exact same product either way. There's no real disadvantage of letting retail customers vote, given the purpose of the ratings in the first place. They're a marketing tool, user driven promotion. More votes equals more confidence widow shoppers will have in the given rating.

Nothing to get defensive about. It's not a big deal to me either way but it's just my personal take on the matter.

Isn't that what near is about? You can give smileys to games you own (wheter digital or retail).

Ps store for dd games, near for every game on vita.

extralite

Ever touched a 3DS? The 3DS is keeping track of every software you ever played, thus making it possible to know which games you played and which not. It's a really easy system to integrate.

So does the Wii although it's buggy there maybe due to late implementation of starting games from the SD card. Or HBC messing up the database. I don't know. Some of my playtimes are seriously non accurate though.

But Nintendo's rating system and playtime tracking are very nice indeed. Average playtime and number of times played by all users also give an indication of download numbers. Unfortunately they don't support that anymore on 3DS it seems. (Edit: Maybe because they're now implementing ratings in the store rather than something like the Nintendo Channel.)

BTW, Denpa Ningen no RPG by Genius Sonority got 1577 ratings with 1426 of them being full five stars. I hope it got a lot more actual downloads though, very nice DQ clone with a twist.

No matter the reason why, the PS store should allow for ratings from retail purchasers, from a consumer's stand. Statistically the ratings get more accurate the more of them there are. Also, it's theoretically an easy fix as the 3DS already allows it for both physical and retail products (bases it off playtime).

Like I said, we're then discussing different things completely. The rating system as it is, is only meant to be part of the store. It was created by the people who designed the store, not the OS.
Nintendo's rating system is also part of the 3DS store. It pulls playtime data from the system, but the ratings system itself is not integrated at the OS level, it's within the store.

DrWong

Is there a difference ? I'm asking because the way it's managed for the 3DS it's about rating a game/product you bought (or just DL if its a free app like swapnote or Pokedex), retail or digital makes no difference as the system keep track on what you're playing (you need to have a minimum playtime with the title/app to be able to rate).

duckroll

There's no meaningful difference other than the fact that it's only intended to be a part of the store. You can rate anything you have actually bought/downloaded - games, DLC, wallpaper, etc. I'm not even sure why we're even arguing about this, it has nothing to do with sales whatsoever, and if it did not function the way it did, we would not even be talking about it in this thread at all.

Top Bottom