• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2016 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

casiopao

All in all, the only thing i know here is that DQ even if the number won't reached the peak of DQ9 i can't see it drop as bad FF there at all. And i almost 100% believe that DQ will be a much profitable venture for S-E compared to FF.

All in all, the only thing i know here is that DQ even if the number won't reached the peak of DQ9 i can't see it drop as bad FF there at all. And i almost 100% believe that DQ will be a much profitable venture for S-E compared to FF.
Of course, even I have no doubt that FFXV has been an expensive time sink for SE.

DQXI is actually pretty safe on the 3DS with budget and profit but it is the PS4 version that looks like a risky venture. I am not sure how it will pay off since it definitely looks like an 'AAA big budget RPG' to me.

It is clear that the PS4 version is being developed with worldwide appeal in mind. I don't expect much from it when it comes to Japan but I hope to be proven wrong.

Oregano

It is in the top selling video game for the whole year on Amazon US and also did really welll digitally in NA on PSN. It has managed steady legs in UK, better than XIII AFAIK. It also sold more than 100k in Germany within its debut week.

I look at this and find it hard to imagine the game losing sales from other markets aside from Japan. So while there is a potential loss of 1 million here, I think with time, they can offset this lose from other sources of revenue. Season Pass is one of them which will also keep the game in spotlight throughout its release.

Lastly there is also the PC version that they can release later down the line to generate further revenue.

I have no doubt that FFXV can easily top 6-7 million if we consider all these factors. It is another story altogether if we talk a out budget since it came with 10 years of baggage.

It's behind both Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon on Amazon and both Amazon and PSN are small parts of a much bigger picture.

Whilst it's maintained its chart placement better than FFXIII did as far as we know it is still behind FFXIII launch aligned because there was no mention of it overtaking it and XV is a December launch vs a March one so it might still fall off in the next week or two as the holidays end.

As for Germany we don't really have anything to compare that to. FFXIII took six months to sell 200K so we'll have to wait and see how long it takes XV to reach that milestone.

It still remains to be seen whether people want a Season Pass for an RPG.

A late Steam release will definitely help though.

It's still worth noting that Steam releases, Asian releases and Season Pass content still represents increased costs versus past games.

Celine

FFIII sold over 1m, mainly because it was the first time it got released on anything outside of the NES. But it was a big deal because it was the first hardcore 3rd party to pass 1m on the DS in Japan, back when the DS had that non-game stigma around it. FFIV didn't do as well because the GBA port was still around, and a lot of people noticed that.
The remake of FFIII on DS overperformed big time due to be released at the right time and the right place (first big RPG on the booming DS when the audience was starved for the genre).
FFIV on DS still sold well (but obviously less than FFIII), in fact no other FF re-release come close to what FFIV sold on DS (with the exception of FFIII DS of course).

EDIT:
Actually the PS1 port of FFIV edge out FFIV DS sales.
See explanation below.

Oregano

The remake of FFIII on DS overperformed big time due to be released at the right time and the right place (first big RPG on the booming DS when the audience was starved for the genre).
FFIV on DS still sold well (but obviously less than FFIII), in fact no other FF re-release come close to what FFIV sold on DS (with the exception of FFIII DS of course).

FFIV was probably hurt by the fact it has been rereleased on every platform known to man.

Celine

I have no doubt that FFXV can easily top 6-7 million if we consider all these factors. It is another story altogether if we talk a out budget since it came with 10 years of baggage.
FFXIII shipped 6.80 million units on PS3/Xbox 360.
Do you you think FFXV will surpass it on PS4/Xbone?

FFIV was probably hurt by the fact it has been rereleased on every platform known to man.
FFIV on DS performed well IMO.
Basically it matched the PS1 port which was released just after the culmination of FFVII hype on the booming PS1.

Celine

There's a lot of talk these days about how FFXIII "tainted" the FF brand but I don't think that's really the thing at all. For long standing franchises which have had very different entries, it doesn't really work that way. What really hurts FF as a brand is that S-E has struggled to release significant FF titles regularly, and as such failed to establish the brand for a whole new younger generation.
I don't repute FFXIII as the sole cause for FF series decline but I think that how the whole trilogy performed in Japan was a clear symptome that the franchise failed to stabilize "over 2 million units" as it was expected from FFV to FFXII.
No one expect FF to sell constantly more than 3M like DQ does because that was an unrepeatable peak (FFVII and FFVIII) however the franchise is quickly spiraling down in sales.

(Chart by Oscar Lemaire, FFXV sales not updated)
CzFOHm5XcAEo5Ee.jpg:large

Oregano

FFXIII shipped 6.80 million units on PS3/Xbox 360.
Do you you think FFXV will surpass it on PS4/Xbone?

Basically it matched the PS1 port which was released just after the culmination of FFVII hype on the booming PS1.

I think he's including the eventual Steam sales when he talks about 6-7 million.

...and yeah it did well but it declined from FFIII and we know Square Enix had unreasonable expectations for their DS software.

On an entirely unrelated note the Vita version of Valkyria looks solid.

Everyone looks wet on the PS4

ethomaz

Banned
It is in the top selling video game for the whole year on Amazon US and also did really welll digitally in NA on PSN. It has managed steady legs in UK, better than XIII AFAIK. It also sold more than 100k in Germany within its debut week.

I look at this and find it hard to imagine the game losing sales from other markets aside from Japan. So while there is a potential loss of 1 million here, I think with time, they can offset this lose from other sources of revenue. Season Pass is one of them which will also keep the game in spotlight throughout its release.

Lastly there is also the PC version that they can release later down the line to generate further revenue.

I'm pretty sure it underperformed in both U.K. and Germany... and these legs are most because it is holiday while FFXIII released in March.

Let's see if FFXV will do over 200k in Germany like FFXIII did.

duckroll

How is that performing well when it was a full remake with more effort and investment into it than the FF3 remake on DS, which sold double what it did?

Or maybe because FFIV fucking suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!!!!! /troll

Celine

How is that performing well when it was a full remake with more effort and investment into it than the FF3 remake on DS, which sold double what it did?
Look at the selling history of other FF re-releases/ports/remakes.
https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/game-search

FFIII on DS is the only one to have sold more than 1 million units and that's due to external factors (which I cited above).
Expecting to perform similarly to DQ re-releases/ports/remakes is silly because there is an history of those outperforming by a wide margin.

Oregano

Or maybe because FFIV fucking suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!!!!! /troll

You're just salty they didn't waste their time on an FFV remake.

duckroll

Look at the selling history of other FF re-releases/ports/remakes.
https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/game-search

FFIII on DS is the only one to have sold more than 1 million units and that's due to external factors (which I cited above).
Expecting to perform similarly to DQ re-releases/ports/remakes is silly because there is an history of those outperforming by a wide margin.

Why would you dump re-releases, ports, and remakes together? They're clearly not the same thing. The only FF remakes have been FF1 and 2 on WSC, and FF3 and 4 on DS. The WSC was a failed platform. The DS is not, so much more is expected. If the FF7 remake sells as much as the FF7 ports would you consider that a success too? Lol.

Celine

Why would you dump re-releases, ports, and remakes together? They're clearly not the same thing. The only FF remakes have been FF1 and 2 on WSC, and FF3 and 4 on DS. The WSC was a failed platform. The DS is not, so much more is expected. If the FF7 remake sells as much as the FF7 ports would you consider that a success too? Lol.
Because you can gauge the brand power in the context of the time of release.

Will see how well the first episode of FFVII will fare on PS4 in Japan.

Eolz

You know that sadly FFXIII will forever be blamed for XV underperforming, despite the latter having several issues both due to design choices and S-E's past strategies.

What if FFVIIr Breaking Dawn Part 1 sells less than a million on PS4?

You know that sadly FFXIII will forever be blamed for XV underperforming, despite the latter having several issues both due to design and S-E's past strategies.
Type-0 should have been renamed Final Fantasy XV. What we got as XV should have been XVI.

Square Enix's issues with having a lost generation of people not growing up with mainline FF are solved.

120v

You know that sadly FFXIII will forever be blamed for XV underperforming, despite the latter having several issues both due to design choices and S-E's past strategies.

i don't think that'll be the case. XV was billed pretty heavily as a make it or break it venture

L~A

I find it weird that there insisting on releasing PS4 and 3DS versions at the same time. It's obvious PS4 version is holding back the release of 3DS version.

Yuji Horii previously explained it was to avoid spoilers, so that players waiting for a specific version don't have to go weeks/months with spoilers on the loose on the internet.

Sukiyaki hasn't survived the Weekend. It's sold out everywhere.

Sushi / Tempura got a second shipment that wasn't needed.

Sukiyaki didn't get the second shipment it needed.

Retailers sure will remember YW3 for a long time, ha ha.

This is why... FFXV price is getting low each day!

Why does the mascot character look like it's saying "Please buy this game, I beg you ;___;"?

Power Pro Heroes is a mediocre and empty at content game that gets what it deserves at sales.

I remember pointing it out before launch, but I did find suspicious how Konami wasn't talking or showing the game at all (until the demo was announced, we had basically nothing announced). Looks like there really was fishy after all. A real shame that PowaPro seems to have been nothing but an afterthought for Konami.

I remember pointing it out before launch, but I did find suspicious how Konami wasn't talking or showing the game at all (until the demo was announced, we had basically nothing announced). Looks like there really was fishy after all. A real shame that PowaPro seems to have been nothing but an afterthought for Konami.
Everything that's not pachinko and Pro Evo is an afterthought at Konami.

ethomaz

Banned
What if FFVIIr Breaking Dawn Part 1 sells less than a million on PS4?
I won't be surprised by the choices they did until now. I guess the part 1 will focus only in Midgard and that alone could do a great job to cater old fans but the changes in combat system can kill the interest.

I don't think FFVIIr will sell to new fans btw.

Eolz

i don't think that'll be the case. XV was billed pretty heavily as a make it or break it venture

I meant on forums etc, like it's the case right now.
Or like we'll forever hear about Nintendo having a secret partnership for MonHun, and that it'll end next year I swear.

It will sell less than FFXV when all is said and done.

Not WW.
I wonder how many episodes it will be divided into btw. Was it rumored to be 3?

BriBri

COMG! top 10 selling games of the year across all 14 stores: Pokémon Sun Moon (#1), Yokai Watch 3: Sushi, Tempura, Sukiyaki (#2), Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 (#3), Monster Hunter X (#4), Final Fantasy XV (#5), Yokai Sangokushi (#6), Kirby Planet Robobot (#7), Super Mario Maker 3DS/Wii U (#8), Dark Souls III (#9) and Dragon Quest Heroes II (#10).

Final Fantasy XV sold 1,1 million in Japan according to SIEJA via ZhugeEx ? Also, China is the #2 region for FFXV sales, more than any other country in Asia.

Anyone can figure out from the slide if this is shipped or sold numbers ? It seems a little too much to be sold-through, unless the digital part have been underestimated.

Final Fantasy XV sold 1,1 million in Japan according to SIEJA via ZhugeEx ? Also, China is the #2 region for FFXV sales, more than any other country in Asia.

Anyone can figure out from the slide if this is shipped or sold numbers ? It seems a little too much to be sold-through, unless the digital part have been underestimated.
The image used is old from a conference attended by Tabata, I think.

As for the numbers, 1.1 in Japan is shipped since that's what we have right now. Sadly no numbers for China/Asia.

duckroll

Anyway, 4Gamer has posted their annual game creator survey, for those interested

> http://www.4gamer.net/games/000/G000000/20161208073/

(They also confirm their end of year break starts on the 28th, so that explains why we don't get numbers from them tomorrow).

http://www.4gamer.net/games/000/G000000/20161208073/index_5.html#sqex_kawazu

スクウェア・エニックス
ゲームデザイナー
河津秋敏
代表作:サガシリーズ等

<質問2>2016年に発売/公開されたエンターテイメントコンテンツの中で最も印象深かった作品

「アメリカ合衆国大統領選挙」
メディアが選挙戦全体を巨大なエンタメコンテンツ化し、ストーリー化を図っていく過程が面白く、そのストーリーと現実との差が最後のドラマを作り出した点が、なんともメタ的な結果だった。
今後のメディアのあり方、メディアを見る側の視点の持ち方まで考えさせ、変えさせる力を持つ優良コンテンツだったと思います。代償は大きいかもしれませんが。

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! <3

L~A

Quite surprisingly, it's not the only one talking about the US elections. Briefly looked earlier, for Switch mentions, and saw one mention Trump's America, heh.

Oh yeah, talking of Switch mention, there's only a couple of them. Only concrete one is someone from Nippon Ichi (Edit: Sohei Shinkawa, CEO) saying they have something in the works for the platform, but that's it. Nothing new though (N1 have already stated they were working on Switch, and were even part of the list of partners revealed in October).

RiZ III

Can't believe FFXV didn't even break a million units. What the hell happened to the Japanese gaming scene? Did all those kids who were playing games during the ps1 and ps2 era just grow up and quit playing games? It's really bizarre.

hiska-kun

Since FFXV shipped ~1.068.000 copies. That means 32k digital sales. Matching 1.1M sales 8)

Trolling

Anyway, 4Gamer has posted their annual game creator survey, for those interested

> http://www.4gamer.net/games/000/G000000/20161208073/

(They also confirm their end of year break starts on the 28th, so that explains why we don't get numbers from them tomorrow).

I want to work there, this kind of looong holidays is very inusual in Japan. Normal companies start the 30th.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe FFXV didn't even break a million units. What the hell happened to the Japanese gaming scene? Did all those kids who were playing games during the ps1 and ps2 era just grow up and quit playing games? It's really bizarre.

It's more indicative of Final Fantasy in this case rather than the market. Make a game people don't want and surprise it doesn't sell as well.

RiZ III

It's more indicative of Final Fantasy in this case rather than the market. Make a game people don't want and surprise it doesn't sell as well.

Nah it's not just Final Fantasy. It's game sales in general. Compare these game sales to one from the late 90's and it's a huge difference. I don't follow these sales threads very closely so seeing how much the numbers have dropped was kind of shocking.

Oregano

Quite surprisingly, it's not the only one talking about the US elections. Briefly looked earlier, for Switch mentions, and saw one mention Trump's America, heh.

Oh yeah, talking of Switch mention, there's only a couple of them. Only concrete one is someone from Nippon Ichi (Edit: Sohei Shinkawa, CEO) saying they have something in the works for the platform, but that's it. Nothing new though (N1 have already stated they were working on Switch, and were even part of the list of partners revealed in October).

Got to admit its strange that Nippon Ichi seems to be one of the only developers excited about the platform.

Nah it's not just Final Fantasy. It's game sales in general. Compare these game sales to one from the late 90's and it's a huge difference. I don't follow these sales threads very closely so seeing how much the numbers have dropped was kind of shocking.
The market shifted heavily to portables and phones, so game series that rely on console horsepower got wrecked.

Also, Square mishandled the heck out of the FF brand last and this generation.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

I've given a look to three pages of all the small developer surveys (and through Google Translate, so of course there can be misunderstandings), but I've seen lots of very general remarks so far: aside from some comments on VR, no specific-platform comments at all. At most, stuff like "we have titles in preparation, stay tuned" or "I want to keep on making fun games".

Agreed.

Regardless of the perceived quality, the potential for numerous games is going to be shot because of the market they are being released into. That doesn't mean a handful of games can't work against it and still perform well. You always have exceptions to the rule. Still, the majority will suffer from it.

antibolo

Banned

It may have already reached a million if we include digital sales.

Top Bottom