• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2015 (Feb 16 - Feb 22)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Capcom is supporting two handheld markets: 3DS and mobile.

Mobile is even getting a custom made Monster Hunter game they've been working on for like 3+ years now.

I imagine the first incentive would be a truck full of cash from Sony HQ, the second incentive would be the promise of big western success(which is why I'm suggesting PS4 not Vita). With MH4U likely to miss the 3.9 million mark Capcom projected they would have some justification for changing gears too.
I feel to an extent that was what Dragon's Dogma was about.

Basically they were trying to take something conceptually similar to Monster Hunter and then make it in a format they thought would do better in the West.

It didn't go over super well sales wise and Monster Hunter hasn't really been high flying overseas either despite some modest success.

Like I'd totally get it if the brand was showing signs of strength abroad, especially in the face of the declining home market, but here they seem to not have a ton of options outside of trying to appeal to as many Japanese people as possible.

They have been taking some moves like the previously mentioned mobile game, expanding Frontier G, and the Chinese f2p MMO, but they seem to have largely left the mainline series as a safety net.

Oregano

Well I think circumstances are different now because Xbox being non-existent in Japan and distant second everywhere else it is easier to justify an exclusive and Sony is much more generous with cash nowadays. I don't think there's any chance of them doing it without Sony co-funding. MH has been getting more popular in the west with each entry too, MH4U even managed to get no.1 in a non-Japan country!

I also think there is the pragmatic benefit of getting Sony to fund their HD asset creation for future use.

Alrus

Capcom is supporting two handheld markets: 3DS and mobile.

Mobile is even getting a custom made Monster Hunter game they've been working on for like 3+ years now.

I think it's pretty obvious they're having trouble with that mobile monster hunter game.

test_account

XP-39C²
But it's certainly not the first time that a generation has been decided on a third party choosing one platform over another. The biggest example of all being Square in the PS1 era.
True, in that case, Sony managed to make a system that Square wanted to support. I think that is almost just as important as making games themself (1st party), making a system that publishers want to get behind. I also think that Apple and Google have been very good at this. They dont create games themself, but they managed to make platforms that tons of people wants to support. They probably made the biggest gaming platforms of all time.

EDIT: I can add that even if someone makes a great system, both spec wise and developement wise (easy to develope for), it might not be enough if the competition has something that is seem as a more appealing thing overall. Thats the hard part, to make something that favors your system over the competition overall, whatever it might be. For example, Nintendo's 1st party games usually have a strong following, which can be one thing that can be difficult to top, and one reason to choose a Nintendo system over another.

Alrus

True, in that case, Sony managed to make a system that Square wanted to support. I think that is almost just as important as making games themself (1st party), making a system that publishers want to get behind. I also think that Apple and Google have been very good at this. They dont create games themself, but they managed to make platforms that tons of people wants to support. They probably made the biggest gaming platforms of all time.

This is something Nintendo has been having massive trouble achieving in the console space too.

Verendus

Banned
Well I think circumstances are different now because Xbox being non-existent in Japan and distant second everywhere else it is easier to justify an exclusive and Sony is much more generous with cash nowadays. I don't think there's any chance of them doing it without Sony co-funding. MH has been getting more popular in the west with each entry too, MH4U even managed to get no.1 in a non-Japan country!

I also think there is the pragmatic benefit of getting Sony to fund their HD asset creation for future use.
They're really not that generous. It's a little more complicated than hats of money, money in hats, or money hats.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Niro. Speaking of Capcom. What the bloody hell happened to Breath of Fire 6?
Hopefully, something awful.

That, or a complete reboot of the project.
It's coming this Spring and they commented on it a bit recently:

Gematsu said:
On Breath of Fire 6

Ono: “We want to make something that satisfies both older fans, as well as those getting their hands on the series for the first time.”

Sugiura: “I think 2015 will be the year where Capcom Online Games puts out its best releases.”

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/02/capcom-o...ounced-titles-development#mErhlJtkOMFYu1eC.99

---

I think it's pretty obvious they're having trouble with that mobile monster hunter game.
Yes, but they're still working on it, which suggests they feel it's important.

If they didn't care they'd just cancel it like they did a lot of other mobile games.

Oregano

They're really not that generous. It's a little more complicated than hats of money.

It's a simplification but they are being much more proactive than a few years ago, as the existing deals with Capcom show. I don't think Sony is literally just giving them cash.

Verendus

Banned
It's a simplification but they are being much more proactive than a few years ago, as the existing deals with Capcom show. I don't think Sony is literally just giving them cash.
I'd say they've been pretty proactive for several years now. It just takes two to tango, that's all.

monpiece

Banned
Capcom didn't cause any monopoly or killed the competition by releasing MH4 on 3DS. Vita could and can still recover theorically, not to outsell 3DS, but at least to retain a reasonable market share.

It is just not happening because this generation is demanding a bigger investment from the platform holders than the previous (due to the natural market shrinking, especially for handhelds), and Sony was never willing to invest heavily either with their own games or by securing meaningful third-party support through incentives, collaborations, moneyhats or whatever. It was exactly the opposite: Sony has been hesitant to support Vita, didn't make any meaningful deal with any big publisher, was very conservative in tackling Vita problems early on (unlike Nintendo) and completely abandoned their device as soon as PS4 proved to be successful.

There were many things that Sony could have done if they were willing to invest on Vita, but it looks like since PS4, they can't even try to do the basic, like releasing an obvious Minecraft bundle in 2014 holidays, that would cost very little and could sell well among the younger audience.

Vena

Yes, but your conclusions presumes that Nintendo would also not be "greasing the wheels" so to speak from their end. At which point you have Sony and a fistful of money and few guaranteed sales vs. Nintendo and a fistful of money AND a couple of million guaranteed sales.

Insanity would be the only driving force to get Capcom to move the title, a now heavy mobile title, to Sony who's only strength is a console with lacking strength in Japan... for a Japan-strong title.

Verendus

Banned
Capcom didn't cause any monopoly or killed the competition by releasing MH4 on 3DS. Vita could and can still recover theorically, not to outsell 3DS, but at least to retain a reasonable market share.

It is just not happening because this generation is demanding a bigger investment from the platform holders than the previous (due to the natural market shrinking, especially for handhelds), and Sony was never willing to invest heavily either with their own games or by securing meaningful third-party support through incentives, collaborations, moneyhats or whatever. It was exactly the opposite: Sony has been hesitant to support Vita, didn't make any meaningful deal with any big publisher, was very conservative in tackling Vita problems early on (unlike Nintendo) and completely abandoned their device as soon as PS4 proved to be successful.

There were many things that Sony could have done if they were willing to invest on Vita, but it looks like since PS4, they can't even try to do the basic, like releasing an obvious Minecraft bundle in 2014 holidays, that would cost very little and could sell well among the younger audience.
Whilst I don't disagree with some of the points you've raised, I blame the Vita.

For existing.

Oregano

I'd say they've been pretty proactive for several years now. It just takes two to tango, that's all.

Well I mentioned the fact that PS4 being dominant makes it easier for third parties to justify going exclusive but I think the founding of the Third Party Production team and stuff like #buildingthelist shows an increased effort going into securing content.

EDIT:mad:Vena: Nah, I just don't think Nintendo is willing to commit at hard as Sony. They definitely don't have a reputation for being able to work with third parties.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Looking at the OP, let's just say that for the sake of argument, MH4U ends at 2.6 million in Japan.

The base game had around 3.8 million copies.

Whatever benefits Sony or the West grant (above and beyond how the 3DS game is doing abroad) in this scenario have to make up for whatever the gap between the Sony ecosystem release will sell versus the missing copies.

Now, there are two ways to look at this.

One is through a straight price increase on the game plus whatever they'd get if Sony completely waived the licensing fees and threw in some co-marketing money. In order to bother with this move from this perspective, they'd presumably want to make notably more than they would have just sticking on 3DS given the game would cost more and they're uprooting their whole audience to go to a potentially notably smaller one.

The other is through risk amortization. In this scenario, Capcom is honestly worried that the series is fading due to the drop between MH4 -> MH4U or that their platform strategy will ultimately be untennable as is. At this point, simply doing the above and also agreeing to purchase a whole bunch of copies for bundling would be sufficient even if Capcom made less money overall, since their fears of decline outweigh their hopes for success. However, this only works if Sony honestly believes Monster Hunter is in danger of notable decline and needs a strategy shift.

I feel we haven't seen Capcom show any major signs of concern for Monster Hunter yet. It's possible we will see those suddenly emerge, as they'd have to at some point if they existed, but without them, I feel it's unlikely that Capcom is going to make major shifts.

Capcom as a whole is obviously retreating, which is probably the strongest argument in favor of this, though it requires the general state of the company to filter down to all their biggest projects.

Vena

EDIT:mad:Vena: Nah, I just don't think Nintendo is willing to commit at hard as Sony. They definitely don't have a reputation for being able to work with third parties.

That is a highly suspect statement. How did they acquire Monolith? Who made Smash? What about KT and HyWa? Platinum?

Nintendo doesn't exist in a bubble or sit up a big tree spitting upon the low 3rd party masses. They may not be the most proactive or active in terms of trying to court whole slews of developer pools or farm out their titles willy-nilly, but they certainly work with third parties. The problem lies in that they usually are very conservative with who they work and what they work on.

However, this only works if Sony honestly believes Monster Hunter is in danger of notable decline and needs a strategy shift.

I feel we haven't seen Capcom show any major signs of concern for Monster Hunter yet. It's possible we will see those suddenly emerge, as they'd have to at some point if they existed, but without them, I feel it's unlikely that Capcom is going to make major shifts.

There is another thing to consider in terms of longterm. Launching the 4DS with MonHun as a launch title + special bundles. That is possibly a very, very welcoming/strong future for the franchise as they would have an early adopters advantage of lower game competition as well as simply being a popular title at launch. This also opens up the venue for easy conversion to HD if the future Nintendo hardware is highly synchronous so they'd have access to also another easy MH3U-WiiU scenario and that is another handful of sales with little work needed (basically just loading up HD textures).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There is another thing to consider in terms of longterm. Launching the 4DS with MonHun as a launch title + special bundles. That is possibly a very, very welcoming/strong future for the franchise as they would have an early adopters advantage of lower game competition as well as simply being a popular title at launch. This also opens up the venue for easy conversion to HD if the future Nintendo hardware is highly synchronous so they'd have access to also another easy MH3U-WiiU scenario and that is another handful of sales with little work needed (basically just loading up HD textures).
They've been making a lot of statements suggesting the next Monster Hunter is shipping this year so unless the 4DS is incredibly imminent, I don't think this is really an option.

Vena

They've been making a lot of statements suggesting the next Monster Hunter is shipping this year so unless the 4DS is incredibly imminent, I don't think this is really an option.

Oh have they? I had not heard word of the next mainline coming out already!

Well then, never you mind me. :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh have they? I had not heard word of the next mainline coming out already!

Well then, never you mind me. :(

Well they kept going on about how 2015 would be a major new start for the series from multiple senior staff so unless they view the Tecent MMO and the mobile game as just being incredibly noteworthy points in the series development, I assume they're talking about the next mainline game.

I believe that's the biggest reason we are even having platform discussions about the game.

Verendus

Banned
Like every youngster who fails in life, Vita must blame their parents for a great deal of its woes.
I'm more than happy for Andrew House to take the fall, and for a younger, more handsome, and more brighter person to take his spot. It's time he puts someone over, even if it's only been a few years.

monpiece

Banned
Monster Hunter 5 as a exclusive next-Nintendo-handheld launch title is only a good deal for Nintendo. I don't see why people think that as soon as Nintendo puts a new handheld in the market, people will flock to it like mad. Even a few months after the new system launch, 3DS would still be a safer bet, and it could keep being a safer bet for longer than that.

Unless we are talking about Nintendo leaving 3DS to rot for two years before launching a new handheld.

Spiegel

Well they kept going on about how 2015 would be a major new start for the series from multiple senior staff so unless they view the Tecent MMO and the mobile game as just being incredibly noteworthy points in the series development, I assume they're talking about the next mainline game.

I believe that's the biggest reason we are even having platform discussions about the game.

I seriously doubt MH5 is getting released this year.

The probably mean 2015 in terms of development and not release

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
MH4U releasing with the new 3DS model both in Japan and abroad. It also was advertised alongside the new 3DS (at least in the US, most ads seemed to have MM3D + MH4U). That seems like a pretty strong partnership to me.

Vena

Oh, I honestly thought it was about the mobile/MMO developments and releases.

But, yes, if I look at it from the point of view of the mainline, then yes, it could well mean some sort of big shakeup and/or change. I guess the supposition seemed so bizarre to me that I never even considered that sort of move but it would certainly be noteworthy and a "major new start".

However, for such a big "new start", wouldn't we have heard about it by now? We heard about SFV months ago and that won't release until later this year and Sony made a big deal out of it. I'd imagine a similar move with MH would be just as much if not moreso a big hype-headline for them to swing around.

Takao

Banned
Monster Hunter games are routinely announced in the same year they launch. That happened with 3G, 4G, Portable 3rd and probably things I don't even remember.

That's not to say I think Sony has Monster Hunter. They seemed to be under the impression that Frontier was coup for Vita ...

Kyoufu

I think if PS4 gets Monster Hunter any time soon then it'll most likely be Frontier because Sony and Capcom have this F2P fetish going on so it'd fit right in.

Don't think MH5 will be on a Sony platform.

Mory Dunz

Is there a chance of a MH4HD for Wii U?

I mean, didn't the last one sell over 500k or more? It's not amazing, but since it's an up-rez, that's easy money....right? (As in a profitiable venture)

I don't play MH myself, but my brother plays it a lot.

Oregano

Well it was because I think there's a chance MH5 is a Playstation home console game. I think with 3DS being over the hill, Capcom and Sony already working on a lot of projects together and the ever increasing emphasis on western success(even if it means sacrificing JP success) that it's something Capcom could definitely go for.

If Monster Hunter 5 is the fresh new start for the series in 2015 I'm not sure what else it could mean, but I wasn't even thinking about that.

EDIT: I would also say it's probably a franchise Sony would actively pursue. Tri still topped a million on Wii and they probably think they can beat that. It would be a big get for PS4.

Sandfox

Well it was because I think there's a chance MH5 is a Playstation home console game. I think with 3DS being over the hill, Capcom and Sony already working on a lot of projects together and the ever increasing emphasis on western success(even if it means sacrificing JP success) that it's something Capcom could definitely go for.

If Monster Hunter 5 is the fresh new start for the series in 2015 I'm not sure what else it could mean, but I wasn't even thinking about that.

EDIT: I would also say it's probably a franchise Sony would actively pursue. Tri still topped a million on Wii and they probably think they can beat that. It would be a big get for PS4.
Why would Capcom move to console for that number of sales with a vastly increased budget?

casiopao

It needs price cut, new colors, limited edition bundles and big software at second half for a chance YTD 2015 to be close to YTD 2014.

For the price cut, how long have past since Ninty price cut their 3ds here? As it seems quite time has past there.

New colors and limited edition bundles is something I believe Ninty will not missed here after all, MH 4G bundle and recent Majora bundle have been succesful. I guess Style Savvy 3 bundle can also be possible.^~^ Ninty need moar female gamer on 3ds for sure.

For big software, that is the biggggg question. Will they have new Pokemon game? New Mon Hun game? New Youkai Watch game? Or is it possible for another new IP breakthrough it is going to be an interesting thing to watch.^_^

Actually, is the Pikachu Detective game had high chance of selling well?

Or probably another new DQM on 3ds?

For the price cut, how long have past since Ninty price cut their 3ds here? As it seems quite time has past there.

New colors and limited edition bundles is something I believe Ninty will not missed here after all, MH 4G bundle and recent Majora bundle have been succesful. I guess Style Savvy 3 bundle can also be possible.^~^ Ninty need moar female gamer on 3ds for sure.

For big software, that is the biggggg question. Will they have new Pokemon game? New Mon Hun game? New Youkai Watch game? Or is it possible for another new IP breakthrough it is going to be an interesting thing to watch.^_^

Actually, is the Pikachu Detective game had high chance of selling well?

Or probably another new DQM on 3ds?

I think the only one we likely see will be YW3 (why L5 has not announced yet??), Pokemon e MH declining sales showed that milking the franchise every year is not so good in term of sales.

Pikachu Detective will perform as every other Pokemon spin-offs did.

"a new IP breakthrough" I don't understand what you mean, if you mean something like YW, well... it won't happen for a long time, that's for sure...

Nintendo biggest IP has been all released and maybe N should focus on Wii U more, PS4 is getting strong week after week while 3DS actually can walk with its own legs due to the lack of competition from the already dead and buried Vita

Scum

I think the only one we likely see will be YW3 (why L5 has not announced yet??), Pokemon e MH declining sales showed that milking the franchise every year is not so good in term of sales.

Pikachu Detective will perform as every other Pokemon spin-offs did.

"a new IP breakthrough" I don't understand what you mean, if you mean something like YW, well... it won't happen for a long time, that's for sure...

Nintendo biggest IP has been all released and maybe N should focus on Wii U more, PS4 is getting strong week after week while 3DS actually can walk with its own legs due to the lack of competition from the already dead and buried Vita

Unless NCL can find the kind of regular mid-tier support that the Vita currently has for the WiiU, then I say they shouldn't bother. It's going to be n3DS, mobile and PS4 for this year.

hiska-kun

First Day Sell Through {2015.02.26}

[PS4] [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes: The Darkness Dragon and the Castle of the World Tree <RPG> (Square Enix) - 70%

[PSV] Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru: Jukai no Kioku # <ADV> (FuRyu) - 40%

Rabbids Land

[3DS] DoraMoji: Nobita no Kanji Daisakusen <EDU> (Shogakukan) - 5%

You can guess what DQH sold since we know first day shipment.

Vena

[PS4] [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes: The Darkness Dragon and the Castle of the World Tree <RPG> (Square Enix) - 70%

I'll be interested in seeing how DQH (PS4) performs against HyWa (WIU) in terms of the spin-off draw of Warriors on next gen (PS3's player-base is much too big to compare against either of the limping horse), and a bit of a comparison of the strength of the IPs (which is self-evident).

Can someone remind me HyWa's FW sales? 70k?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'll be interested in seeing how DQH (PS4) performs against HyWa (WIU) in terms of the spin-off draw of Warriors on next gen (PS3's player-base is much too big to compare against either of the limping horse), and a bit of a comparison of the strength of the IPs (which is self-evident).

Can someone remind me HyWa's FW sales? 70k?

almost 79K according to Famitsu. I think it was 68K Media Create.

crinale

Well they'll include all Limited (lol) edition's download key to first week's number so 40K-ish (or higher) number is a lock for PS4. Anything physical released Thursday will be added to it.

Top Bottom