• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 9 confirmed by OFLC

Iam Canadian said:
Mega Man 7 was a pretty easy game overall, though the Robot Masters could put up a decent fight if you didn't have their weaknesses, especially Slash Man and Freeze Man.
I thought Freeze Man was rather easy, I always start out playing his level first. Slash Man on the other hand...can't argue with you there!

Iam Canadian said:
I would consider Mega Man 8 easy if not for two specific sections. I think everyone who's played the game knows what I'm talking about.

"JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE! JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE!"

Since 8 was my first Mega Man, I've played those sections so many times I almost never die on the first one.

The one in Wily's Castle really sucks however, with it's ridiculously long jump at the end. You can use Astro Crush to float over it.

Perdew said:
If they kept the original Nintendo gameplay, there's a good chance that it will either not be taken seriously whatsoever, or that it will be a very boring version of the old games (which are all ported on GCN and therefore Wii, PS2 and therefore some PS3's, and Xbox (Mayyybe 360?)), sort of like 6 sadly turned out to be.

I'd like to see them actually progress the series. They can, like I mentioned, use 8 bit stylings like No More Heroes, that's all fine and well. Space Invaders Extreme/Pacman CE graphics simply wouldn't work in a game like this though, where there is a sort of narrative, where you are in scrolling stages with unique personalities and bosses.

After 11 years since the last proper Rockman game, I damn well expect some effort and new life breathed into the series. I don't want to see the 'retro card' called in. Street Fighter IV was already offensive enough bringing back the entirety of the old cast, although they've at least updated the graphics and gameplay enough to make it into something new.

Yeaaaah, at this point that isn't going to happen. Like I mentioned earlier, if this game came out right after Rockman 8 did, then it would have all those advances that you probably would want.

But since this is more of a 'tribute' to the series kind of thing, it's going to be more retro. Think along the same lines as 'New Super Mario Bros.'. Except, this game is paying even more of a tribute to the graphic style of the old games.

Perdew

SonicMegaDrive said:
Yeaaaah, at this point that isn't going to happen. Like I mentioned earlier, if this game came out right after Rockman 8 did, then it would have all those advances that you probably would want.

But since this is more of a 'tribute' to the series kind of thing, it's going to be more retro. Think along the same lines as 'New Super Mario Bros.'. Except, this game is paying even more of a tribute to the graphic style of the old games.

I realize that's the angle they are going for, but if that's the case, why call it 9? Call it 'New Mega Man' or 'Mega Man Evolved' or something along those lines. Every other 'retro remake' has been named like this; why is this one different? Bionic Commando Re-armed, comes to mind.

Rlan

Perdew said:
I realize that's the angle they are going for, but if that's the case, why call it 9? Call it 'New Mega Man' or 'Mega Man Evolved' or something along those lines. Every other 'retro remake' has been named like this; why is this one different? Bionic Commando Re-armed, comes to mind.

Well technically they already have Powered Up! and Maverick Hunter X, and with such a graphical difference between the two it wouldn't make much sense. For all we know this is being made internally by Capcom and not Backbone, it'll be interesting to see.

Perdew

Rlan said:
Well technically they already have Powered Up! and Maverick Hunter X, and with such a graphical difference between the two it wouldn't make much sense. For all we know this is being made internally by Capcom and not Backbone, it'll be interesting to see.

It will definitely be interesting, but these early rumors really have me worried. It really sounds like a call in (Mega Man 6, Mega Man X6) and not a love project (Powered Up and to some extent Maverick Hunter).

If this IS Inafune's project, I feel less worried, but A) We already got a retro throwback to the NES in ZX Advent (and it was fun!) and B) Don't call it 9 if it's a retro-whoring project.

There needs to be a law where you can't number a sequel without real progression in the series (Hence, Rockman and Forte was called Rockman and Forte and not Rockman 9 since it appeared on the SNES and not the PSX, correct?)

Perdew said:
It will definitely be interesting, but these early rumors really have me worried. It really sounds like a call in (Mega Man 6, Mega Man X6) and not a love project (Powered Up and to some extent Maverick Hunter).

Why would they revive a series that's been dead since the PS1 for a 'phone-in' project?

If this IS Inafune's project, I feel less worried, but A) We already got a retro throwback to the NES in ZX Advent (and it was fun!) and B) Don't call it 9 if it's a retro-whoring project.

There needs to be a law where you can't number a sequel without real progression in the series (Hence, Rockman and Forte was called Rockman and Forte and not Rockman 9 since it appeared on the SNES and not the PSX, correct?)

We're going to need to work on the definition of 'real progression' here.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Sir Alemeth said:
I thought Freeze Man was rather easy, I always start out playing his level first. Slash Man on the other hand...can't argue with you there!

I do Freeze Man first too, since I like to get all the items in the first four stages without backtracking, but he tends to give me trouble. At least there's an E-Tank in his stage!

HiddenWings said:
Since 8 was my first Mega Man, I've played those sections so many times I almost never die on the first one.

The one in Wily's Castle really sucks however, with it's ridiculously long jump at the end. You can use Astro Crush to float over it.

Frost Man's isn't too bad, true.

I never even thought of using the Astro Crush in Wily's castle, though. :eek:

I beat Mega Man 8 when I was... 12, I think? How many years has it been since the PS1 generation? Anyway, point is, I never had that much problem with the skateboard sections.

lyre

Perdew said:
MM6 played just as well as the games before it. If 6 is considered phone in, then so is 5before it. If anything, it's MHX that's phoned in since the game uses an existing engine, is more or less the same as the original, significantly less content than PU, and all the additions the game had were stolen from the Collection that was being worked on by a third party at the same time.

First, the NES level in ZXA sucked. Two, Contra 4 is more or less a retro whoring project and we ALL loved it. Play it before you say anything about it.

(Hence, Rockman and Forte was called Rockman and Forte and not Rockman 9 since it appeared on the SNES and not the PSX, correct?)
That has nothing to do with what system it appeared on.

Iam Canadian

lyre said:
MM6 played just as well as the games before it. If 6 is considered phone in, then so is 5before it.

This is something a lot of people tend to forget. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with Mega Man 6 aside from the fact that, well, it was the sixth freaking game in the series on the NES. The only issue was the fact that it possibly had the worst lineup of Robot Masters in the series and most of the weapons were either rehashed, completely worthless, or both. But the actual gameplay was as strong as ever.

lyre

Pureauthor said:
Bububu disappearing blocks!
Who cares about disappearing blocks when everyone just uses Item 2 anyway. >:p

Iam Canadian said:
This is something a lot of people tend to forget. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with Mega Man 6 aside from the fact that, well, it was the sixth freaking game in the series on the NES. The only issue was the fact that it possibly had the worst lineup of Robot Masters in the series and most of the weapons were either rehashed, completely worthless, or both. But the actual gameplay was as strong as ever.
I actually liked the bosses in 6, at least more than the bosses in 5, if only because the boss priority sort of had the weapon priority that current Fire Emblem games had (spear beats sword which eventually beats axe which eventually beats spear again). That and the Rush Power and Jet suits were a lot better powerups than 5's Rush items.
Also, who plays MM games with boss powers nowadays. :p

Edit:
Pureauthor said:
There is just something retarded about naming a boss Centaur Man. It's just... contradictory.
Better than what BobandGeorge did with her. :p

Speaking of which, MM5's disappearing blocks were undoubtedly the dumbest in the series. It's a single room, no fakeouts, no nothing. Just jump to a ladder. Whut.

Iam Canadian said:
I do Freeze Man first too, since I like to get all the items in the first four stages without backtracking, but he tends to give me trouble. At least there's an E-Tank in his stage!
Freeze man is cake, when he runs at you just use charged shot + slide under him when he's right in front of you. His other attacks are pretty easy to avoid, other than the icicles falling from the ceiling which don't do much damage anyway.

Perdew

lyre said:
MM6 played just as well as the games before it. If 6 is considered phone in, then so is 5before it. If anything, it's MHX that's phoned in since the game uses an existing engine, is more or less the same as the original, significantly less content than PU, and all the additions the game had were stolen from the Collection that was being worked on by a third party at the same time.

Yea, I know the extra music and extras were for the X Collection which were then altogether panned when MHX bombed. That's why I said 'to some extent' because the love wasn't from Inafune, it was from the extras and then the Production I.G. work.

lyre said:
First, the NES level in ZXA sucked. Two, Contra 4 is more or less a retro whoring project and we ALL loved it. Play it before you say anything about it.

For what is was, I'd say it was good. Contra 4 was a retro whoring project that was awesome, the difference being that it left off after Contra 3 and was styled much like it, while adding dual screen play and other gameplay additions. In other words, it took advantage of its platform. Mega Man 9, by those standards, would have to follow from 8, and I think everyone here is in agreement that it wouldn't make any sense to re-use those sprites since they are relics of the PS1 era (not classic, but not good by today's standards). So my point stands that 'if the purpose is to retro-whore, why call it 9?'

lyre said:
That has nothing to do with what system it appeared on.

I'll admit some ignorance here, if you can explain to me the beginnings of that project and why it wasn't '9', then please do. However, my point (and this is in response to PureAuthor also) was that they went back in systems; regardless of gameplay progressions (adding Forte, the CD collecting, whatever) they wouldn't release a Playstation/Saturn game's direct sequel on a previous generation system. The only possible 'exception' seems to be Dragon Quest IX in terms of 'backwardness', but that is a completely different case.

I know the DS came after the PS2 and the development times and gaps, it's just the closest thing to an example, so let's not argue over that point

bluemax

Banned
Iam Canadian said:
I would consider Mega Man 8 easy if not for two specific sections. I think everyone who's played the game knows what I'm talking about.

Yes, Mega Man 8 lacked E-Tanks, but at least Rush could bring in supplies.

So true. I hated those parts. They're easily the only reason I didn't finish the game. I never found myself wanting E-Tanks in MM8 because it was generally so easy.

Mega Man 7 was a pretty easy game overall, though the Robot Masters could put up a decent fight if you didn't have their weaknesses, especially Slash Man and Freeze Man. Also, Mega Man 7 had one of the hardest final bosses on record, due entirely to his second form and his hard-to-avoid projectiles. It took me quite a long time before I was able to beat him without using E-Tanks.

If anyone tells you to use Wild Coil on him, they are lying. Freeze Cracker is totally the way to go.

That final boss is tedious no matter what you use on him.

Also I'm glad to see 6 get some love. That game had some really awesome levels, especially Wily's castle. And the Rush add ons just made the gameplay so brilliant.

Time to reflect:

As much of a Megaman fan I am, I skipped 4, 5, and 6. The bosses started getting silly (Skull man, Centuar man, Pharoa man), and I didn't care for the music change. I think they started using a different sound chip or brought it a new composer or something. But the series just started to feel rehashed and less and less inspired as it went on.

Of course 1, 2, and 3 were great. 2 being the best. 1 was way too hard but I finished it. 2 had the best music and bosses, and 3 introduced Rush and the slide.

7 had a great ending.
Megaman has Wily at his knees begging for forgiveness as usual. Megaman starts charging his blaster. Wily is like: "What are you doing!?" Megaman says: "Something I should have done a long time ago..." Then Protoman comes in and swoops Wiley before Megaman can break one of Asimov's three laws. That shocked the hell out of me and changed how I saw Megaman.

The robot museum where you could see some of the robots you killed in the past was pretty cool too.

Megaman 8 was great. Music, animation, veriety in play styles, and Megaman was small again. Anime cut scenes were nice too. One of my favorites.

My favorites: 2, 8, 3, and 7.

I played a little Forte but not too far. I need to finish it. I also need to go back and finish 4, 5, and 6.

I wonder about other people's takes on the Megaman series.

bluemax

Banned
Dark Octave said:
Time to reflect:

As much of a Megaman fan I am, I skipped 4, 5, and 6. The bosses started getting silly (Skull man, Centuar man, Pharoa man), and I didn't care for the music change. I think they started using a different sound chip or brought it a new composer or something. But the series just started to feel rehashed and less and less inspired as it went on.

Of course 1, 2, and 3 were great. 2 being the best. 1 was way too hard but I finished it. 2 had the best music and bosses, and 3 introduced Rush and the slide.

7 had a great ending.
Megaman has Wily at his knees begging for forgiveness as usual. Megaman starts charging his blaster. Wily is like: "What are you doing!?" Megaman says: "Something I should have done a long time ago..." Then Protoman comes in and swoops Wiley before Megaman can break one of Asimov's three laws. That shocked the hell out of me and changed how I saw Megaman.

The robot museum where you could see some of the robots you killed in the past was pretty cool too.

Megaman 8 was great. Music, animation, veriety in play styles, and Megaman was small again. Anime cut scenes were nice too. One of my favorites.

My favorites: 2, 8, 3, and 7.

I played a little Forte but not too far. I need to finish it. I also need to go back and finish 4, 5, and 6.

I wonder about other people's takes on the Megaman series.

You owe it to yourself to play MM6. 5 is probably the worst of the original 6.

Prime crotch said:
I still say Legends 3 should have come out already, it would have been a hit Capcom! RE4 numbers, I'm not crazy! Every fan would buy two copies as thanks.
Legends 3. :( One day you will exist. One day...

lyre

Perdew said:
So my point stands that 'if the purpose is to retro-whore, why call it 9?'
Because they can, and you will buy it because of this reason or I hope you die a painful death in Satan's robot pit.

:p

I'll admit some ignorance here, if you can explain to me the beginnings of that project and why it wasn't '9', then please do. However, my point (and this is in response to PureAuthor also) was that they went back in systems; regardless of gameplay progressions (adding Forte, the CD collecting, whatever) they wouldn't release a Playstation/Saturn game's direct sequel on a previous generation system. The only possible 'exception' seems to be Dragon Quest IX in terms of 'backwardness', but that is a completely different case.
First, because the game recycled two bosses from MM8; Astroman and Tenguman. Second, story doesn't completely revolve around Wiley but new characters and it connects with the two Power Battle games. Third, it was codenamed MM8.5. Fourth cause they could.
And why Capcom released it on the SFamicom after they released MM8 is, because they wanted to. They probably felt they can get decent enough sales by releasing one of the very last SFamicom games there will ever be at that time.

And DQ9 is NOT an exception since it's a still living viable option for great sales whereas the PS2 is on its way out or is already there.

Perdew

lyre said:
Because they can, and you will buy it because of this reason or I hope you die a painful death in Satan's robot pit.

:p

I KNOW AND I FEEL SO USED:lol

I just wanna enjoy it and feel like they cared about it, I'm not against the idea of a Mega Man 9 OR a 'Mega Man Retro Mix' per se.

lyre said:
First, because the game recycled two bosses from MM8; Astroman and Tenguman. Second, story doesn't completely revolve around Wiley but new characters and it connects with the two Power Battle games. Third, it was codenamed MM8.5. Fourth cause they could.
And why Capcom released it on the SFamicom after they released MM8 is, because they wanted to. They probably felt they can get decent enough sales by releasing one of the very last SFamicom games there will ever be at that time.
That's more what I was wondering, I just didn't know if there was any known developer commentary on the game. I just bought the game blindly day one for my SNES and never looked back.

And DQ9 is NOT an exception since it's a still living viable option for great sales whereas the PS2 is on its way out or is already there.

Yea yea I know that's why I spoilered it, but it's the only case I can think of an established franchise getting a direct sequel on less powerful hardware. Except maybe Kid Icarus and Metroid? OOPS.

Iam Canadian said:

... And this is why I haven't finished the first Wily level of MM8. So, so hard...

On the rare occasions that I actually manage to get through that nightmare and actually reach the boss, it then kills me, because it's hard too. I eventually just gave up trying.

Yes, Mega Man 8 lacked E-Tanks, but at least Rush could bring in supplies.

Mega Man 7 was a pretty easy game overall, though the Robot Masters could put up a decent fight if you didn't have their weaknesses, especially Slash Man and Freeze Man. Also, Mega Man 7 had one of the hardest final bosses on record, due entirely to his second form and his hard-to-avoid projectiles. It took me quite a long time before I was able to beat him without using E-Tanks.

If anyone tells you to use Wild Coil on him, they are lying. Freeze Cracker is totally the way to go.

7 was also one of the MM games which didn't save your progress in the Wily levels... that DEFINITELY adds to the difficulty. They made it so much easier and more fun in games like X4 and beyond when they actually saved which boss levels you had completed... even the PC version of X, which had saving, only saved the same things the SNES passwords would have. :(

I always thought the X games, up to X6 anyway, were actually reasonably difficult, the harder enemies and bosses counterbalanced by the power-ups available to the player. Besides, the first Mega Man X game is one of the easiest games in the entire franchise. X2 had its hard bits, especially Zero if you didn't recover the parts, but Sigma was absolutely pathetic in that game. X3 got pretty nasty in Dr. Doppler's lab and had a pretty tough Sigma fight, but wasn't up to the level of, say, Mega Man and Bass. X4 was also quite easy, Cyber Peacock aside, and X5 was made easier thanks to the advent of ducking.

Then X6 came along, and decided to throw all sense of difficulty balance out the window. The levels bordered on ridiculous, especially if you got an unfortunate Nightmare effect (particularly bad was Blizzard Wolfang's stage with the viruses floating around), but the bosses were total pushovers, except for maybe Infinity Mijinion. The problem with X6 was that the difficulty was overly cheap, relying on unfair hazards, like Blaze Heatnix's stage, where 90% of the screen was engulfed with lava.

I don't remember X7 or X8 being extremely hard, though X8 had the problem of obnoxious level design, though not nearly to the same extreme as Mega Man X6.

Now, the Zero games...those games know how to punish a careless player.

I haven't played X7 or beyond.

Going back and playing the classic NES series, I think that the series definitely went up in difficulty from MM1-6/I-V to MMX, particularly if the later NES titles are compared to X. X1 may be 'easy' in relation to the rest of the X series, I don't know, but compare it to the NES or GB games... it's at least as hard or harder, and the series' difficulty went up from there. The biggest change was definitely bosses. MMX bosses are much, much harder than original series bosses. No "metal man weapon on metal man kills him in three hits" here... Levels are often easier, bosses harder... until X6 of course when levels are harder and bosses are even harder than that, but everyone agrees X6 was broken. I didn't mind the easier bosses (of the classic series), really! :)

I haven't really played X2 or X3 much... I should. But yeah, with X6, MM&B, the Zero games, and Network Transmission in particular, and parts of MM7 and MM8 too, "fun challenge" passed into "frustrating, annoying difficulty" and the games sort of stopped being fun. I got MM&B for GBA for example hoping to like it, but it's just so brutally hard that it's not fun most of the time...

On another note, huh, so that's how you beat him... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHhXkekFgHY

Oh, and 6 is the worst of the original 6. It's still good, but the bosses particularly aren't as good... much less interesting designs and patterns than in the previous game. Oh well, it's still NES Mega Man, so it's still great.

Iam Canadian said:
I agree. MM6 was great, but the game just felt rushed somehow. Take the Mega Buster for example, they didn't even implement a different SE to that...same can be said of the rest of the weapons. Fundamentally, the game had potential...it's by no means "bad", but could've been better.
Dark Octave said:

You're not far off!...the composer for the first 2 Mega Man games is Yuukichan's Papa, who also did our beloved Ducktales soundtrack(Moon Theme, etc.). Although the later MM music were similar in style, one can observe closely and be able to tell that they're from a different composer, etc.

Sir Alemeth said:
I agree. MM6 was great, but the game just felt rushed somehow. Take the Mega Buster for example, they didn't even implement a different SE to that...same can be said of the rest of the weapons. Fundamentally, the game had potential...it's by no means "bad", but could've been better.

You're not far off!...the composer for the first 2 Mega Man games is Yuukichan's Papa, who also did our beloved Ducktales soundtrack(Moon Theme, etc.). Although the later MM music were similar in style, one can observe closely and be able to tell that they're from a different composer, etc.

Bah, Mega Man 4 is my favorite game in the series. It's better than 3, for sure, or 1... only 2 is serious competition, from the original series. But 4... 4 was really good. Music, bosses, levels... all brilliant. Plus, it introduces the charge shot... :)

Agreed about MM6, though. Another thing with it was that somehow the boss special weapons didn't seem as interesting this time... too many that seemed too similar, I think... but really, it IS a great game. It's just not quite as great as the other five.

Has nobody mentioned "Hard Man" yet? I mean come on he has to be by far the most absurdly named Robot Master.

Forgetting for a moment that his name is so blunt and devoid of any creativity "Uh yeah...his skin is like...hard or something...LETS CALL HIM HARDMAN!! LOL"

The other and dare I say larger issue is the social commentary that his name implies. Are we to believe he is some kind of lowlife petty thug who has to act "hard" in front of his friends and hangs around outside shops and on street corners? Does he make insulting comments to strangers as they pass by? Does he throw shapes when he walks? Does he talk about how he could beat everyone up all day? How did he get this reputation as a "Hard Man"?

Did it stem from an abusive childhood? Or is it simply in his nature to be "Hard"?

I DEMAND ANSWERS GAF!!

A Black Falcon said:
Bah, Mega Man 4 is my favorite game in the series. It's better than 3, for sure, or 1... only 2 is serious competition, from the original series. But 4... 4 was really good. Music, bosses, levels... all brilliant. Plus, it introduces the charge shot... :)
I'm probably in the minority here, but 3 is actually my LEAST favorite of the original series. 4 was good, as it seemed to be Capcom's attempt to "redeem" itself with the rushed job that MM3 was. But 4 felt so over the top polished that it felt just a bit too rigid...not saying I didn't like it, however! The fact of the matter is that Inafune put extreme effort and energy into making Mega Man 2. That alone makes it the greatest of the series. MM2 is heart and soul!
A Black Falcon said:
Agreed about MM6, though. Another thing with it was that somehow the boss special weapons didn't seem as interesting this time... too many that seemed too similar, I think... but really, it IS a great game. It's just not quite as great as the other five.
All the special weapons in 6 were either a straight shot that's no different than your basic Mega Buster of some variation of it. The only good use for them were against bosses, etc.

goldenpp72

honestly I think mega man 1 is by far the worst in the original series, I didn't think id be alone here but im fuckin pro at megaman and I don't care for the original much, nostalgia aside.

Iam Canadian

Ryujin said:
Has nobody mentioned "Hard Man" yet? I mean come on he has to be by far the most absurdly named Robot Master.

Forgetting for a moment that his name is so blunt and devoid of any creativity "Uh yeah...his skin is like...hard or something...LETS CALL HIM HARDMAN!! LOL"

The other and dare I say larger issue is the social commentary that his name implies. Are we to believe he is some kind of lowlife petty thug who has to act "hard" in front of his friends and hangs around outside shops and on street corners? Does he make insulting comments to strangers as they pass by? Does he throw shapes when he walks? Does he talk about how he could beat everyone up all day? How did he get this reputation as a "Hard Man"?

Did it stem from an abusive childhood? Or is it simply in his nature to be "Hard"?

I DEMAND ANSWERS GAF!!

No, the most uncreative name for a Robot Master is Metal Man. I mean, all of the Robot Masters are made of metal (well, except for Wood Man, I guess), but they at least get some other gimmick to be named after. No, but Metal Man gets the most generic name for a Robot Master ever. Even Centaur Man laughs at Metal Man behind his back.

The Hermit

Man what a torture was seing this thread and not being able to post...

Anyway, this still is dream. Please be real! :D :D

Btw, this better link the Orignal Series to the X series... maybe we could see a Megaman X9 after this one!

TreIII

Sir Alemeth said:

Eh, to me, the only sin that MM6 committed was that it was just largely just another "expansion" to the NES Rockman formula, and thus, it definitely was uninspired and unimpressive (especially compared to Rockman X, which was on the horizon).

Clearly, Capcom wanted to get at least one more game out there before the NES was completely unmarketable, so they just banged it out with whatever they had left.

Obviously, MM4 and MM5 for the GB proved that if they gave MM6-NES more TLC and innovation, they could have probably made for a truly interesting title. 4 and 5 GB (or Rockman World 4 and 5 in JP) are among my fave games in the overall Rockman lineage, the fact that they were on basically the same type of limitations as the NES games did not stop them from doing some fairly interesting things for NES-style Rockman.

Baiano19 said:
Btw, this better link the Orignal Series to the X series... maybe we could see a Megaman X9 after this one!

According to the informant...don't bet on it. This is going to be more of a traditional story (though they do have the subtext of how robots have an "expiration date"), but there will more than likely NOT be any linking beyond what type of "wink wink" things they've done before-hand (see: Rockman Power Battle and Power Fighters). You might as well abandon the notion that Capcom will actually do such a grandiose story that will tell all, because it ain't gonna happen.

Personally, I could care less by this point. Because, much like Castlevania and its "1999", as well as how some people re-acted to how Twilight Princess was supposed to shed some details on the overall "timeline" thing...it's been hyped up too much by the fan base.

In short...no matter what, even if they DID go out of their way to try and tell such a story, nobody would like it. So, why bother? Keep the Original series in its own lane and continue to tell stories about how Dr. Wily will continue to try and take over the world, and I'll be pleased enough.

This should really be a disc game. If it's only sold through digital distribution, it'll get far less exposure. I mean... if any 2D game would warrant a disc release on current gen systems, it would be this, a game in the main, non-spin off Mega Man series.

Iam Canadian

TreIII said:
Obviously, MM4 and MM5 for the GB proved that if they gave MM6-NES more TLC and innovation, they could have probably made for a truly interesting title. 4 and 5 GB (or Rockman World 4 and 5 in JP) are among my fave games in the overall Rockman lineage, the fact that they were on basically the same type of limitations as the NES games did not stop them from doing some fairly interesting things for NES-style Rockman.

This. Mega Man 5 for the GB is actually one of my favourite games in the entire series. It has so many elements that you can't find elsewhere in the series: the Mega Arm, the StarDroids, and, of course, Tango the killer attack cat.
It's also notable as the only classic series Mega Man game to not feature Dr. Wily as the final boss, even though he is in it.

As for the fourth GB game, I will say that it was extremely good considering it had rehashed bosses.

TreIII

bigmakstudios said:
This should really be a disc game. If it's only sold through digital distribution, it'll get far less exposure. I mean... if any 2D game would warrant a disc release on current gen systems, it would be this, a game in the main, non-spin off Mega Man series.

And it looks like it will...for the Wii version, at least.

Personally, it's probably a good choice to do as such. Through the Wii, you stand to get the largest concentration of Rockman fans, but you'll still have a version of the game for the other two consoles, which have a small market for such a series (or at least, Capcom would hope so, seeing how this would probably do well to compliment Bionic Commando Rearmed).

Basically, this two pronged strategy ends up saving Capcom more money. Instead of having to try and pay for the money to publish physical copies across all 3 platforms, you only have to do so for the main one that stands to get the most attention from the fan base, while the XBLA and PSN entails that you only have to put the game out there, and it should still make a decent return.

Iam Canadian said:
This. Mega Man 5 for the GB is actually one of my favourite games in the entire series. It has so many elements that you can't find elsewhere in the series: the Mega Arm, the StarDroids, and, of course, Tango the killer attack cat.
It's also notable as the only classic series Mega Man game to not feature Dr. Wily as the final boss, even though he is in it.

As for the fourth GB game, I will say that it was extremely good considering it had rehashed bosses.

Hey, RW4 still had new level layouts, an interesting power-up system that beat 7 by a few years, and the cool-ness that was Ballade. Remixed boss battles or not, the entirety of the RW series was golden, in my eyes.

But since we're on the subject of 5, specifically Tango...if they DON'T bring that poor cat yet again, Capcom and I are going to have a serious problem! :lol Give Tango to Roll, that way we can pretty much have an ideal thing of each "Pet" having a different "Master". :D

Iam Canadian

TreIII said:
Hey, RW4 still had new level layouts, an interesting power-up system that beat 7 by a few years, and the cool-ness that was Ballade. Remixed boss battles or not, the entirety of the RW series was golden, in my eyes.

Oh, it was a great game, don't get me wrong. Like I said; the Robot Masters were rehashed, but the game managed to overcome it and be good in its own right. Plus Ballade was awesome. Still, when it comes to the villains in the GB Mega Man games, I've got to go with Quint. Nothing is as cool as a pogo-stick jackhammer. Nothing.

Even if he is arguably the easiest boss in the entire series.

TreIII said:
But since we're on the subject of 5, specifically Tango...if they DON'T bring that poor cat yet again, Capcom and I are going to have a serious problem! :lol Give Tango to Roll, that way we can pretty much have an ideal thing of each "Pet" having a different "Master". :D

That would be great. I've always wanted to see Tango re-introduced to the Mega Man series. Plus, it would be wonderfully ironic for Roll to get the most vicious pet. Rush was always about level navigation and while Beat used to be deadly, he's been relegated to being a more defensive player nowadays.

Sir Alemeth said:
I'm probably in the minority here, but 3 is actually my LEAST favorite of the original series. 4 was good, as it seemed to be Capcom's attempt to "redeem" itself with the rushed job that MM3 was. But 4 felt so over the top polished that it felt just a bit too rigid...not saying I didn't like it, however! The fact of the matter is that Inafune put extreme effort and energy into making Mega Man 2. That alone makes it the greatest of the series. MM2 is heart and soul!

Too polished? Well, more polished than the older games anyway, perhaps, but I wouldn't call that a bad thing...

Well, I agree on not really liking 3, at least. I'm not sure why, but, for both III for GB and 3 for NES, I've always kind of felt that they are lost... between the great 2 and the great 4, just before the great IV... neither 3 or III holds up in comparison, as good as they are. Though III is better than II, anyway. II for GB really wasn't that good... way, WAY too easy! I really liked Mega Man in Dr. Wily's Regenge, as flickery as the graphics got sometimes and as hard as it was (and that game is tough!), but MMII was pathetic. III picked up a bit, but it was really IV where the series got really great, and as several people have said already, IV and V on the GB are some of the best games in the entire Mega Man franchise. Sure IV has old bosses, but with new levels and features, it's really an all-new game, and even better than before. IV shouldn't be considered any worse than V just because the bosses and level themes aren't new, I think.

And yeah, Tango should definitely come back. It was really too bad that 7, 8, and MM&B went off in new directions instead of being more inspired by the better IV and V.

All the special weapons in 6 were either a straight shot that's no different than your basic Mega Buster of some variation of it. The only good use for them were against bosses, etc.

I know, that's what I meant. Very disappointing, really. Why are they all straight shots? Boring design...

TreIII said:
Clearly, Capcom wanted to get at least one more game out there before the NES was completely unmarketable, so they just banged it out with whatever they had left.

Well, weren't at least some of the bosses from some contest Capcom held, and not designed internally?

Absolutely true. 6 came out between IV and V. It could have been their equal. Capcom obviously just didn't care enough about the NES anymore to put that kind of effort into it.

Iam Canadian said:

everything about the game was lazy and phoned in. they didn't even progam the mega buster's sound effects right

lyre

Ryujin said:

I DEMAND ANSWERS GAF!!
020213536.png

020214643.png

020215697.png

TreIII

A Black Falcon said:
Well, weren't at least some of the bosses from some contest Capcom held, and not designed internally?

Actually...they all were.

Starting with RM4 (I believe), Capcom started the whole "Robot Design Contest", thing, which made it so that kids could make up possible bosses that Rock would have the pleasure of blowing up in a sequel.

Up until 6, they were all Japanese creations. But 6 changed that by allowing 2 Nintendo Power contestants (re: American) designs to join the party. Knight Man and Wind Man are those American designs.

Capcom obviously just didn't care enough about the NES anymore to put that kind of effort into it.

So much so, that Capcom of America didn't even publish the damn game. Nintendo of America had to do the honors themselves, and the game never even saw the light of day in Europe.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'd like something at about mega man x's difficulty level, and degree of control. mega man should animate fluidly and sharply (not like the cartoony, bumbling mega man of some later 2d titles) and should be agile. there should be plenty of secrets.

man, i really want this to be great.

TreIII said:
Actually...they all were.

Starting with RM4 (I believe), Capcom started the whole "Robot Design Contest", thing, which made it so that kids could make up possible bosses that Rock would have the pleasure of blowing up in a sequel.

Up until 6, they were all Japanese creations. But 6 changed that by allowing 2 Nintendo Power contestants (re: American) designs to join the party. Knight Man and Wind Man are those American designs.

Yeah, I have a Nintendo Power issue with a couple pages of the designs they got, now that you mention it... I'd just forgotten that all of the characters were from a contest.

So (at least some) MM4 and MM5 characters were from contests too? They were better and more interesting than the MM6 bosses, though... but maybe with better weapons and (stage) designs the MM6 ones could have been as good.

So much so, that Capcom of America didn't even publish the damn game. Nintendo of America had to do the honors themselves, and the game never even saw the light of day in Europe.

Hah, really?

thefro

The guy who now illustrates Eyeshield 21 actually won a couple of the boss design contests for MM4 (Dust Man) and MM5 (Crystal Man).

Probably the best thing to do would be to have a different manga/comic book artist design each boss.

Iam Canadian

thefro said:
The guy who now illustrates Eyeshield 21 actually won a couple of the boss design contests for MM4 (Dust Man) and MM5 (Crystal Man).

Probably the best thing to do would be to have a different manga/comic book artist design each boss.

I refuse to believe anyone who is a professional artist designed Dust Man.

I refuse.

Top Bottom