• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 9 confirmed by OFLC

lyre

Pureauthor said:
Not possible? This is Capcom. Need I remind you that we're discussing a character that has canonically died a total of four times?
And also a series with a character that has been defeated 8 times and is still going strong to try to take over the world; he might as well be a lab rat. :p
But, I'm probably wrong yet again, but the series is pretty consistent, save what they shoehorned into X6-X8.

Seal, lyre, seal. You know, the reason why Zero isn't out fulfilling his whole 'God of Destruction' shtick until after X gets found?
For this I blame my lack of glasseses at the time. @_@

Perdew

Dragona Akehi said:
People complaining about an "8-bit" style?

I never know what to make of you people.

People are afraid that Capcom will just rehash the oldschool NES sprites. That WOULD suck.

Also, Powered Up was able to do something different, yet effective, and that was hands down the greatest Mega Man game ever created.

Baryn

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
People complaining about an "8-bit" style?

I never know what to make of you people.
They aren't complaining about an 8-bit style, they're complaining because this is a clear sign that Capcom has no idea where to take the original series. The game will probably be very average to all but megafans.

Prove me wrong, Capcom! Prove me wrong!

Perdew said:
People are afraid that Capcom will just rehash the oldschool NES sprites. That WOULD suck.

If that was honestly the case, then it'd fit on WiiWare, and not require a disc-based release.

Baryn said:
They aren't complaining about an 8-bit style, they're complaining because this is a clear sign that Capcom has no idea where to take the original series. The game will probably be very average to all but megafans.

Prove me wrong, Capcom! Prove me wrong!

Uh, ok. Sure.

batbeg

Zerodoppler said:
Are you kidding? Did you already forget the horrible Legends games on the PS1?

Never again!

I know I'm late to this comment, but I just saw it and... what the hell, man. What the hell.

Dragona Akehi said:
If that was honestly the case, then it'd fit on WiiWare, and not require a disc-based release.

That'd actually be cool. A lot of people thought WiiWare games would harken back to NES/SNES game sequels and none of them have, really. Although I'd still prefer higher-res sprites.

Perdew

Dragona Akehi said:

Uh, ok. Sure.

That's a good point but I suppose there just isn't enough known on the project right now, including whether or not it will actually HAVE a retail release (outside of the 'trusted' rumors)

Baryn said:
omg...

OMGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :[]

I would agree, except this could lead to additional installments, and hopefully a real story.
How so? And what would prevent a Megaman game with next gen graphics from doing so as well?

I might be the only one who couldn't give 2 flying cow-licks about the story any which-way. I eventually got the idea that 'Mega Man' and 'Mega Man X' will never have that 'missing link' story told. And I'm happy for that.

Just give me some fast-paced twitch-based gameplay that requires lots of precision shooting, well-timed jumps, and trail-and-error challenge...with a simplistic, retro, non-cutesy graphics style....and I'm completely content.

Teknoman

ShockingAlberto said:
What color is the sky in your world

It still was a damn nice retelling of Megaman 1. And the first time Rock had a voice that actually made him sound like a boy.

Also there were some rumors floating around about Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X hitting the PSN as PSP download games.

Perdew

ShockingAlberto said:
What color is the sky in your world

Which game is better? It had a ton of variety, gave you reason to defeat robot masters with just your buster, allowed the abilities from later games to be used, included the original game, had the most playable characters (which actually played very differently) and the DLC/level editor has kept it fresh. Even the 'challenge' modes were fun.

If Mega Man 9 should be based off of ANY game in the series, it should be powered up.

I still say Legends 3 should have come out already, it would have been a hit Capcom! RE4 numbers, I'm not crazy! Every fan would buy two copies as thanks.

Perdew said:
Which game is better? It had a ton of variety, gave you reason to defeat robot masters with just your buster, allowed the abilities from later games to be used, included the original game, had the most playable characters (which actually played very differently) and the DLC/level editor has kept it fresh. Even the 'challenge' modes were fun.

If Mega Man 9 should be based off of ANY game in the series, it should be powered up.

Except Powered Up was a commercial failure, and Mega Man 3 was, well, obviously not.

Not saying Powered Up was bad or anything - far from it - but you can understand why Capcom would want nothing to do with it.

Prime crotch said:
I still say Legends 3 should have come out already, it would have been a hit Capcom! RE4 numbers, I'm not crazy! Every fan would buy two copies as thanks.
If they gave it a big enough buget, I could see it doing wild things. But when it comes to Megaman, Capcom seems to be happy with throwing him scraps. I would love to see a Megaman Legends with the same production values as Ratchet and Clank. Knowing Capcom though, it'll come out for PS3 looking like a PSP title.

Teknoman

Dark Octave said:
If they gave it a big enough buget, I could see it doing wild things. But when it comes to Megaman, Capcom seems to be happy with throwing him scraps. I would love to see a Megaman Legends with the same production values as Ratchet and Clank. Knowing Capcom though, it'll come out for PS3 looking like a PSP title.

I dunno, I dont think i've ever seen any just really bad looking Megaman games. Even the ones without as capable gameplay looked nice and had a good soundtrack. I still think legends would fit better on the Wii with IR aiming.

Perdew

SonicMegaDrive said:
Except Powered Up was a commercial failure, and Mega Man 3 was, well, obviously not.

Not saying Powered Up was bad or anything - far from it - but you can understand why Capcom would want nothing to do with it.

Commercially it may have bombed, but that could also be attributed to platform alongside the art style. I'm not praising that decision for the SD look, really, but it was effective and shows that they don't need to stick with that '8BIT RETRO FEEL' that Hot Topic loves.

Teknoman said:
Yeah. I'd take MM7 or MM8/R&F style sprites. Then again, we dont really know what they meant by 8bit style.
I expect a bunch of effects in a mock up 8-bit stylized world. Probably something similar to Paper Mario, but more spritey looking like Pac-man CE, or whatever it's called.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
lyre said:
Not possible since Zero never started out with his Z-sabre to begin with. He had a blaster in X1 and didn't get it until he stole/modded Sigma's sabre for himself.

Yeah, I know he didn't have the Z-Saber to begin with, I was just being facetious. >_>

Haeleos

What Most People Want: A Powered Up style game on next gen consoles with high quality 2d animation.

What Will Actually Happen: A quick DS game with rehashed sprites.

don't forget that everytime megarockmanman fires he will have to make a whiny bitch sound, much like the panting of a whore in 3 diferent lenghts and tones.

Also a litle grunt everytime he jumps.

Oh and when he gets hurt a bitch yell.

and when he is low on energy, a annoying beeping will ensue.

Also, please remember that if the game gets roll as a playable char, she will be the perfect megaman (silent, no superspecialawesome armors and or enhancements, and make the game hard as nuts).

Link

The Autumn Wind
AzureNightmareXE said:
Well that is most certainly a blind dismissal if I have ever seen one. Dragon Quest IX says hi buddy, its practically screaming hi.
You're right, I completely forgot DQIX was a Wii game.

I really don't think they're going to use the NES graphics. It'd basically doom the series to anyone but the fans.

Prime crotch said:
Every fan would buy two copies as thanks.
Good so they'd sell 6 copies

(I don't really think that, I just saw the opportunity)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
8-bit with crazy exploding pixels and bizarre retro effects not unlike space invaders extreme or no more heroes could be awesome. i could kinda see that working.

Fresh off the rumor mill:

* Rockman 9 will feature a retro 8-bit art style, a homage to the earlier games.
* Two playable characters: Rockman and Blues (ProtoMan). Each has their own unique storylines.
* A popular belief is that RM9 will act as the 'link' to the events of the X Series. This is not so, The storyline DOES NOT lead into the X Series, rather it's a 'traditional' plot.
* Many new characters, new Robot Masters and maybe some new supporting characters.
* Gameplay is reminiscent of Rockman 3-6.
* Online components: Leader boards and some unknown form of online play
* RM9 will be on all major home consoles: Wii, X360 and PS3. X360 and PS3 users will be able to purchase the game from their respective download services. It's unknown how the Wii version will work, whether it will be a downloaded game or not.

TreIII

And a bit more...

Protodude said:
"Robots Have Expiring Dates" -The Shadow

Once again, I attempting to get some more RM9 info out of PRC's very own Deepthroat, "The Shadow" who is still very hush hush about game play specifics. However, I was given a "clue" concerning the plot of the game:

"Robots have [expiration] dates."

That's a pretty deep concept for a supposed "traditional" plot. Regardless, I expect more 'leaks' to appear soon enough, hopefully some clarification.

On a completely different note: I did some more research about the OFLC, even contacted them for some clarification. Apparently, the OFLC has never in its history listed a "rumored" game, implying that the RM9/MM9 listing is no mistake, it is real.

- http://protodudesrockmancorner.blogspot.com/ (y'all should know this by now)

Well, plus a few more points to the notion that this game seems to be a thing of reality. This seems to only go along with my overall assumption that "The Shadow" and his "rumors" are probably a thinly-veiled viral marketing campaign by Capcom to get the Rockman fans excited about this game, not unlike how infamous GFaqs user "PORTRAITofRUIN" has done for Castlevania for these last few 2 years. Hey, Rockman probably can sell well enough without the need for an extensive, traditional marketing campaign, so why not? :lol

As for the "story" blurb? Sounds interesting...perhaps they'll go back to that thing about Blues/Protoman from his Power Fighters ending, where he had a sort of energy imbalance that threatened his very well being?

...Don't kill Blues off, Capcom! He's too much of a pimp to die! :lol

Haeleos said:
What Most People Want: A Powered Up style game on next gen consoles with high quality 2d animation.

What Will Actually Happen: A quick DS game with rehashed sprites.

Jeez, guy.

A little pessimistic, don'tcha think?

I think that's a little silly to believe 'most' people want a Powered Up style game. What are you basing that on? Anecdotal evidence from this forum?

Saying the 'Hot Topic' crowd are the only people this is going to please is a little inaccurate. Keep in mind that in Japan, the original Rockman games for the Famicom are the ones that most people have fond memories for. Ask anybody there about the original 'Rockman' and most people are going to talk about the 8-bit games. That is the target audience Capcom is aiming for, I think.

If this game was made 4 or 5 years after Rockman 8, yeah, you'd probably see crazy 2D graphics with cutesy-wutsey-animu sprites with big eyes and squeaky voices(kinda like how Powered Up turned out).

But this is aimed at a more nostalgic crowd.

Hmm... I love the Mega Man series, but I think that somewhere in the SNES generation they started going overboard with the difficulty and just kept adding on to it. I mean... I have or had:

"MM3" (PC)
MMAC (GC)
MMX1, X4, and X5 (PC)
MMX1 (SNES)
MMX6 (PSX)
MMI, II, and IV (GB)
MM&B (GBA)
MMNT (Network Transmission) (GC)

... and of them, I've beaten:

MM1-6 (NES, on GC)
MM1, 2, and 4 (GB)
MMX4 (PC)

And that's it. MM7, 8, and Mega Man & Bass are significantly harder than the NES games. I've gotten to the first boss stage in MM8 but got stuck there (the spider boss... after the really hard bike-riding segment...). I haven't beaten the MM7 castle. It's probably doable if I try some more, though, the game doesn't seem as hard as 8 is. MM&B is just crazy hard, though, particularly with Mega Man. Network Transmission is really, really difficult and I've only beaten a couple levels of it, despite having it for like six months now... and from what I've tried of a couple of the MM Zero games, they are just as hard. X5 is okya through the main levels, but the boss levels quickly get insane, and I never beat the impossibly hard Black Demon. X6 is CRAZY.

I have gotten to the final boss (second form of Sigma) in Mega Man X1, but haven't beaten that one... though given that the last time I got that far in the game was like 1995, it's not like I've tried recently.

Really, the NES and Game Boy games are just more fun. Actually, the later ones seemed maybe too easy... MM5 and 6 for NES weren't hard at all, really (5 gives you so many extra lives...). They were still lots of fun, though, in the ways that the overly difficult newer games are not. I'd love to see a return to the challenge level of the earlier NES or Game Boy games. I still like what I've played of the more recent games in the series... but I think that at least some games in the series are hurt by their high difficulty level. X6 has some really cool level designs, for instance, it's just so hard to get through them that it's not really worth seeing them all!

... MMIV and V on the Game Boy are pretty much perfect.

TreIII

SonicMegaDrive said:
Saying the 'Hot Topic' crowd are the only people this is going to please is a little inaccurate. Keep in mind that in Japan, the original Rockman games for the Famicom are the ones that most people have fond memories for. Ask anybody there about the original 'Rockman' and most people are going to talk about the 8-bit games. That is the target audience Capcom is aiming for, I think.

Exactly.

This game, much like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Street Fighter 4, is yet ANOTHER attempt on Capcom's part to exploit retro-tastic nostalgia as a means to ensure sales.

It's no secret that the sales for "traditional" Rockman games (re: NON-EXE/Ryuusei titles) have been tanking as of late. ZX and its sequel squeaked by the 100,000 mark, and the PSP games both tanked. And all the while, Japan's Rockman fan base been largely waiting for the "true" return of the Blue Bomber who started it all. As irate as some of us were that OG Rockman hardly got any play last year for his 20th anniversary, the Japanese fans seemingly were even more livid.

So, Rockman 9 seemingly being in the pipeline like it is, is right on time. And the fact that it will probably have an actual retail release for the Wii will probably go over quite well in Japan, and other places, as well.

Teknoman

X1-3 were decently challenging but super easy bosses once you find the weakness. Same with Sigma (just have to be good at jumping and dodging).

I just hope that the game turns out good. I mean Red Ant sounds like some western studio Capcom is outsourcing to...though Way Forward kicked all kinds of ass with Contra IV...so maybe the same will hopefully happen.

wjb3h0.jpg

Poor Rock has had the back seat for too long.

MGrant

The Megaman 7 and 8 somehow don't feel right to me, physics-wise. Maybe it's the larger sprites, I'm not sure, but the controls of the original 6 games feel much more responsive. Plus the original Megaman sprite is just a masterpiece.

TreIII

Teknoman said:
I just hope that the game turns out good. I mean Red Ant sounds like some western studio Capcom is outsourcing to...though Way Forward kicked all kinds of ass with Contra IV...so maybe the same will hopefully happen.

Red Ant is NOT the developer, it looks like.

Red Ant's main role in life seems to be that of a distributor/publisher. In other words, they may slap their name on the box/title screen because of how they helped distribute that game in Australia. But it really doesn't look like they have any other part in this game, otherwise.

Teknoman

TreIII said:
Red Ant is NOT the developer, it looks like.

Red Ant's main role in life seems to be that of a distributor/publisher. In other words, they may slap their name on the box/title screen because of how they helped distribute that game in Australia. But it really doesn't look like they have any other part in this game, otherwise.

Ooooh. I forgot this was mainly info from the OFLC in the beginning.

Perdew

Ok I want to clarify my 'hot topic' comment. When I said that, I meant that if they go the route of absolutely whoring nostalgia, as in throwing 8Bit graphics IN YOUR FACE it would seem like something sold to the Hot Topic crowd who probably never played NES anyway.

If they kept the original Nintendo gameplay, there's a good chance that it will either not be taken seriously whatsoever, or that it will be a very boring version of the old games (which are all ported on GCN and therefore Wii, PS2 and therefore some PS3's, and Xbox (Mayyybe 360?)), sort of like 6 sadly turned out to be.

I'd like to see them actually progress the series. They can, like I mentioned, use 8 bit stylings like No More Heroes, that's all fine and well. Space Invaders Extreme/Pacman CE graphics simply wouldn't work in a game like this though, where there is a sort of narrative, where you are in scrolling stages with unique personalities and bosses.

After 11 years since the last proper Rockman game, I damn well expect some effort and new life breathed into the series. I don't want to see the 'retro card' called in. Street Fighter IV was already offensive enough bringing back the entirety of the old cast, although they've at least updated the graphics and gameplay enough to make it into something new.

I'M WORRIED ABOUT ROCK, OK?

Teknoman said:
X1-3 were decently challenging but super easy bosses once you find the weakness. Same with Sigma (just have to be good at jumping and dodging).

http://i26.tinypic.com/wjb3h0.jpg

Poor Rock has had the back seat for too long.

Yeah, I would say that through X4, the Mega Man X series had a reasonable difficulty level. Not easy, but not impossible. I'm sure that if I actually got to the final boss of X1 again I could beat it now.

For the original series, I'd say that that line was probably between Mega Man V (for GB, the final 8-bit Mega Man game) and Mega Man 7 on SNES. 7 is not impossible, as I have at least gotten through all eight main boss levels, if not the fortress, but it's harder, and it changes Mega Man's size, animations, and gameplay style fairly significantly. MM&B and MM8 extended on that style. I greatly prefer the original style... 8 particularly has an annoyingly slow Mega Man, but I don't really like the style used in 7 or MM&B either. It just doesn't work as well as either NES Mega Man or SNES Mega Man X.

And then 8 is even harder than 7 (though I have also gotten through the 8 main robot masters in 8, it wasn't all that fun really...), and MM&B really launched off the difficulty up to "way too high". X4... I played it years back, but I remember finding it fun, and beating it with Mega Man. I got pretty far with Zero too, but it was harder with him... but X4's difficulty was doable. X5 was too, until I got to the Black Demon... I'd found it challenging, but playable, up to that point, but I just found that boss completely impossible. I think I only managed to even get him past half health (when he changes attack style and stuff) once or twice, and that was with several E-Tanks (which you then have to incredibly tediously fill up after you mess up your one chance at killing him with them). Bah.

... and then X6 was basically "a whole game starting at that difficulty level", and Zero and Network Transmission seem to have gotten their cues from that game and MM&B. There is such a thing as "too hard for the game to still be fun"... I think Mega Man crossed it.

But you are right that SNES MMX hadn't yet. :)

A Black Falcon said:
Yeah, I would say that through X4, the Mega Man X series had a reasonable difficulty level. Not easy, but not impossible. I'm sure that if I actually got to the final boss of X1 again I could beat it now.

For the original series, I'd say that that line was probably between Mega Man V (for GB, the final 8-bit Mega Man game) and Mega Man 7 on SNES. 7 is not impossible, as I have at least gotten through all eight main boss levels, if not the fortress, but it's harder, and it changes Mega Man's size, animations, and gameplay style fairly significantly. MM&B and MM8 extended on that style. I greatly prefer the original style... 8 particularly has an annoyingly slow Mega Man, but I don't really like the style used in 7 or MM&B either. It just doesn't work as well as either NES Mega Man or SNES Mega Man X.

And then 8 is even harder than 7 (though I have also gotten through the 8 main robot masters in 8, it wasn't all that fun really...), and MM&B really launched off the difficulty up to "way too high". X4... I played it years back, but I remember finding it fun, and beating it with Mega Man. I got pretty far with Zero too, but it was harder with him... but X4's difficulty was doable. X5 was too, until I got to the Black Demon... I'd found it challenging, but playable, up to that point, but I just found that boss completely impossible. I think I only managed to even get him past half health (when he changes attack style and stuff) once or twice, and that was with several E-Tanks (which you then have to incredibly tediously fill up after you mess up your one chance at killing him with them). Bah.

... and then X6 was basically "a whole game starting at that difficulty level", and Zero and Network Transmission seem to have gotten their cues from that game and MM&B. There is such a thing as "too hard for the game to still be fun"... I think Mega Man crossed it.

But you are right that SNES MMX hadn't yet. :)

wait a second, 8 harder then 7? nonsense, 8 was pratically a cakewalk, and that's one the reasons I loved it so much, along with the graphics and music

..pakbeka.. said:
wait a second, 8 harder then 7? nonsense, 8 was pratically a cakewalk, and that's one the reasons I loved it so much, along with the graphics and music

Well, I've gotten a bit farther in 7 -- to the second or third Wily level, I forget which exactly -- than I have in 8 -- to the first Wily level (with the jetbike and spider boss). So 8 is harder. :)

Maybe the eight normal levels/bosses are harder in 7, I don't remember.

The two games do have a lot of similarities, though. Similar art styles (except zoomed way in in 7 and out in 8), slow movement (especially in 8), etc... I definitely prefer the NES style, or the SNES MMX style.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
8 doesn't have E Tanks.

7 has a harder final Wily.

7 overall has slightly harder bosses, 8 has harder levels.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I would consider Mega Man 8 easy if not for two specific sections. I think everyone who's played the game knows what I'm talking about.

"JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE! JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE!"

Yes, Mega Man 8 lacked E-Tanks, but at least Rush could bring in supplies.

Mega Man 7 was a pretty easy game overall, though the Robot Masters could put up a decent fight if you didn't have their weaknesses, especially Slash Man and Freeze Man. Also, Mega Man 7 had one of the hardest final bosses on record, due entirely to his second form and his hard-to-avoid projectiles. It took me quite a long time before I was able to beat him without using E-Tanks.

If anyone tells you to use Wild Coil on him, they are lying. Freeze Cracker is totally the way to go.

I always thought the X games, up to X6 anyway, were actually reasonably difficult, the harder enemies and bosses counterbalanced by the power-ups available to the player. Besides, the first Mega Man X game is one of the easiest games in the entire franchise. X2 had its hard bits, especially Zero if you didn't recover the parts, but Sigma was absolutely pathetic in that game. X3 got pretty nasty in Dr. Doppler's lab and had a pretty tough Sigma fight, but wasn't up to the level of, say, Mega Man and Bass. X4 was also quite easy, Cyber Peacock aside, and X5 was made easier thanks to the advent of ducking.

Then X6 came along, and decided to throw all sense of difficulty balance out the window. The levels bordered on ridiculous, especially if you got an unfortunate Nightmare effect (particularly bad was Blizzard Wolfang's stage with the viruses floating around), but the bosses were total pushovers, except for maybe Infinity Mijinion. The problem with X6 was that the difficulty was overly cheap, relying on unfair hazards, like Blaze Heatnix's stage, where 90% of the screen was engulfed with lava.

I don't remember X7 or X8 being extremely hard, though X8 had the problem of obnoxious level design, though not nearly to the same extreme as Mega Man X6.

Now, the Zero games...those games know how to punish a careless player.

Top Bottom