• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 9 confirmed by OFLC

i've been pretty stoked about this. i'm an optimist and think capcom wouldn't revive the main series unless it was for something good. powered-up and some other games were pretty good so it's not like they've sullied the name TOO much.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
TreIII said:
But whatever...they need only give me an idea of when I should look out for this, and I'll be importing this Day 1. Been waiting too long for a trip back to the world of 20XX, and the REAL Rockman and crew...

All too true. I like the more dystopian future Mega Man spinoffs as much as the next person, but I welcome the opportunity to defeat eight colourful Robot Masters and watch Dr. Wily beg for mercy again. :D

And there had better be a disappearing and reappearing block section, for tradition's sake if nothing else.

Iam Canadian said:
All too true. I like the more dystopian future Mega Man spinoffs as much as the next person, but I welcome the opportunity to defeat eight colourful Robot Masters and watch Dr. Wily beg for mercy again. :D

And there had better be a disappearing and reappearing block section, for tradition's sake if nothing else.

A bit off, but did you play network transmission? Aside from the "wtf" random card system(that you could kina manipulate) and the bit of mega-troid, it was the closest thing to the ole skool as far as standard play.

It had disappearing blocks :)

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
abstract alien said:
A bit off, but did you play network transmission? Aside from the "wtf" random card system(that you could kina manipulate) and the bit of mega-troid, it was the closest thing to the ole skool as far as standard play.

Yes, I did play it. It wasn't perfect; the difficulty seemed really unbalanced (the game is really hard until you get enough upgrades to make your Mega Buster actually worth something, then it becomes thrice as easy), but it was a solid enough game. I was actually able to complete it, which is more than I can say for any of the other games in the Battle Network games I've played.

Plus, I loved how the music occasionally incorporated melodies from the classic series. Off the top of my head, I remember that Fire Man and Pharaoh Man's themes were in there, among a few others.

It sucks that Wii players have to actually buy it in retail. Nintendo's size limits are ridiculous. Here's hoping it'll be 2D :lol

Iam Canadian said:
Yes, I did play it. It wasn't perfect; the difficulty seemed really unbalanced (the game is really hard until you get enough upgrades to make your Mega Buster actually worth something, then it becomes thrice as easy), but it was a solid enough game. I was actually able to complete it, which is more than I can say for any of the other games in the Battle Network games I've played.

Plus, I loved how the music occasionally incorporated melodies from the classic series. Off the top of my head, I remember that Fire Man and Pharaoh Man's themes were in there, among a few others.

Hell yeah, i really enjoyed that game as well(i completed it also). Music was awesome as well, had some good nostalgic moments

bluemax

Banned
Fuck all you haters. Day fucking one no matter what platform, no matter the quality.

Mega Man is fucking boss. The original NES series is awesome and yes I've played every one of them in the past year.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Death_Born said:
It sucks that Wii players have to actually buy it in retail. Nintendo's size limits are ridiculous. Here's hoping it'll be 2D :lol
I doubt Capcom would make this a downloadable game anyway. They know they could get more than $10 for it.

abstract alien said:
I agree. I throroughly enjoyed it actually. It's got its quirks but like you said, it is the closest thing to old school Mega Man...and it was fun. :)
abstract alien said:
:D
EDIT:
bluemax said:
Fuck all you haters. Day fucking one no matter what platform, no matter the quality.
:lol :lol I like your style.

RagnarokX said:
Australian Idol Sing 2006 Action, Simulation PlayStation 2
Battle Mages 2004 Role-Playing (RPG), Strategy Windows
Bubble Bobble Old & New 2003 Action Game Boy Advance
Contact 2007 Adventure, Role-Playing (RPG) Nintendo DS
Cooking Mama 2006 Simulation Nintendo DS
Cooking Mama: Cook Off 2007 Simulation Wii
Ed, Edd n Eddy: The Mis-Edventures 2005 Action, Adventure PlayStation 2, Windows
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind 2004 Role-Playing (RPG) Windows
Fair Strike 2004 Action, Simulation Windows
Ford Bold Moves Street Racing 2007 Racing / Driving PSP
Ford Street Racing (XR Edition) 2007 Racing / Driving PlayStation 2, PSP
Gungrave: Overdose 2005 Action PlayStation 2
Industry Giant II 2002 Simulation Windows
Juka and the Monophonic Menace 2005 Action Game Boy Advance
Kira Kira Pop Princess 2008 Action, Simulation Nintendo DS
Labyrinth 2007 Action, Racing / Driving, Strategy Nintendo DS
Lotus Challenge 2003 Racing / Driving, Simulation Windows
Luminous Arc 2007 Role-Playing (RPG), Strategy Nintendo DS
Massive Assault 2004 Strategy Windows
Monster Puzzle 2007 Action Nintendo DS
Port Royale: Gold, Power and Pirates 2003 Simulation, Strategy Windows
Prince of Persia 3D 2001 Action Windows
Rampage: Total Destruction 2006 Action PlayStation 2
Scurge: Hive 2006 Action Nintendo DS
Spells of Gold 2003 Role-Playing (RPG) Windows
Touch Detective 2007 Adventure Nintendo DS
Mega Man 9 for DS, Wii, PS2 confirmed?? :O

Link1110

Great, now go back to the release frequency from the NES days. Yearly releases of Mega Man, Tales, Phoenix Wright and (I wish) Ouendan/EBA would make this one of the best eras ever in gaming!

bigmakstudios said:
Sorry in advance for being blasphemous, but I would rather this be a 3D game.

030906.jpg

Mr. Angry Face is Angry.

I absolutely hate to rain on anyone's parade, but are we absolutely sure it isn't Rockman & Forte? Did AUS get a GBA release?

Just that it IS Capcom and a Megaman game. You know.

Dragona Akehi said:
I absolutely hate to rain on anyone's parade, but are we absolutely sure it isn't Rockman & Forte? Did AUS get a GBA release?

Just that it IS Capcom and a Megaman game. You know.

Yeah, Capcom has never referred to Rockman & Forte as Mega Man 9.

It's a new game.

Capcom has been really progressive in the DL space. Probably one of if not the leading publisher in that space right now.

Here's hoping that a pretty smart and progressive company is about to use one of its most venerable IPs to push the DL platform even further. Does anyone know if MM Powered Up sold all that well? If it did, I'd guess they might go that route if this is truly MM9 and not just a generic project code name.

The poster who said they could get more than $10 for it is right. I've thought for a long time now that they're going to sell SSF2THD for more than $10 and I'd bet this would be more as well if comes out as a DL title.

duckroll

Are we sure this is a XBLA/PSN title? While it's true that Red Ant haso only distributed downloadable games for Capcom so far, it should also be noted that Activision distributed Rocketmen. It just so happens that every game released in 2008 from Capcom so far is a downloadable game. Could Capcom simply have switched publishers in Australia?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
If true I hope it'll be less complicated than the MM-classic series had become by the time 8 rolled around. Keep that bolt collecting and item buying outta here! Also don't have a stupid super serious storyline this isn't X!

Zerodoppler said:
Are you kidding? Did you already forget the horrible Legends games on the PS1?

What!?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
In defense of the anti-Legends people, when the games first came out, they were not particularly well-received. To most people, the very idea of a 3D Mega Man game was blasphemous.

It has only been in recent years that people have come to understand the games. They've achieved tremendous cult support.

I think it would be in Capcom's good interests to re-release MM Legends 1 and 2 in some sort of compilation pack. The series could have second life.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SonicMegaDrive said:
In defense of the anti-Legends people, when the games first came out, they were not particularly well-received. To most people, the very idea of a 3D Mega Man game was blasphemous.

It has only been in recent years that people have come to understand the games. They've achieved tremendous cult support.

I think it would be in Capcom's good interests to re-release MM Legends 1 and 2 in some sort of compilation pack. The series could have second life.
They tried to rerelease the games on the PSP, but the first sold lousy, Sony's American branch wouldn't let them bring it out in the US, and the 2ed one got canned since the first did so bad.

I think the game would do great if it was remade for the Wii, the controls would be much better.

Drkirby said:
They tried to rerelease the games on the PSP, but the first sold lousy, Sony's American branch wouldn't let them bring it out in the US, and the 2ed one got canned since the first did so bad.

I think the game would do great if it was remade for the Wii, the controls would be much better.

I should rephrase that, "...it would be in Capcom's good interests to re-release MM Legends 1 and 2 in some sort of compilation pack on anything but the PSP where all old franchises go to die."

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SonicMegaDrive said:
I should rephrase that, "...it would be in Capcom's good interests to re-release MM Legends 1 and 2 in some sort of compilation pack on anything but the PSP where all old franchises go to die."
Yah, Capcom's "Use PSP to remake our old Megaman games for" plan flopped hard. I would love to see the rest of what they were planning goto the Wii (Or any system for that matter).

Which reminds me, I still need to play Mega Man Maverick Hunter X.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Drkirby said:

Wait...are you saying that Mega Man Legends 2/Rockman Dash 2 was never released on the PSP? Because it totally was (in Japan, of course).

Hunahan

Banned
This will be great if it turns out to be true.

...kinda takes the punch out of Ben Judd's recent threats about Bionic Commando sales, however.

ryan13ts said:
Awesome, I was hoping they'd eventually go back to the main series, kind of sick of all the spin-offs.

Spin offs?

The only spin offs are the MMBN games.

The others are all in the same universe.

lyre

PataHikari said:
Spin offs?

The only spin offs are the MMBN games.

The others are all in the same universe.
MM Soccer, MM Battle'nChase, MM Board game are spin-offs (tho I know those games aren't the ones in question).

Then there's Legends/Dash games that were shoehorned into the main storyline (with ZX games being the proof).

And MMBN is a completely new world assuming the MM world went forward with the internet rather than robots. It's not really a spinoff to me but a re-imagining that became it's own series, kinda like the X games.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Naruto said:
Wii\PS3 Please!
And please don't be an XBLA\PSN game.
why don't you want it be psn or xbl game? if you want it on the ps3 you have access to psn. if it goes on disc it will be multi-platform for all the systems just not ps3 and wii. i could see it on ps3 ,360, wii, and, pc.

TreIII

Protodude's updated again:

Protodude said:
Before the leaked OFLC rating and Destructoid's time traveling cat, PRC has been teased with news of a Rockman 9 by PRC reader "The Shadow," a beta tester at Capcom USA.

For about a month or so, The Shadow has been subjecting PRC to rumors of a Rockman 9, the most notable rumor concerned Rockman 9's presence on XBLA and PSN.

Myself along with other readers have swept his remarks under the rug. But, the fact that The Shadow's rumors have popped up before all the others, leads us to now assume he is indeed a reliable source.

Today, The Shadow has agreed to spill some specifics about the game and is expected leak more tidbits in the near future:

-Rockman 9 will feature a retro 8-bit art style, a homage to the earlier games.

-Two playable characters: Rockman and Blues (ProtoMan). Each has their own unique storylines.

-A popular belief is that RM9 will act as the 'link' to the events of the X Series. This is not so, The storyline DOES NOT lead into the X Series, rather it's a 'traditional' plot.

-Many new characters, new Robot Masters and maybe some new supporting characters.

-Gameplay is reminiscent of Rockman 3-6.

-Online components: Leader boards and some unknown form of online play

-RM9 will be on all major home consoles: Wii, X360 and PS3. X360 and PS3 users will be able to purchase the game from their respective download services. It's unknown how the Wii version will work, whether it will be a downloaded game or not.

- http://protodudesrockmancorner.blogspot.com/

Bolded stuff is stuff that I think will send people squealing as much as I am.

"8bit" graphical style? Rockman AND Blues as playable characters? Gameplay more in the line of Rockman 3-6? Release across all 3 platforms? ...NO unnecessary Zero appearances, or any other X-series linking?

OH YES, COME BACK TO PAPA, ROCKMAN! :lol

If this is all true, and the game is well made, then I take back pretty much 75% of all the smack I've talked about to Capcom for these last few years. This one title alone would be enough to make up for a number of Capcom's crap! XD

TreIII

Infernal Monkey said:
Download game = fail.

Seemingly, that's only the case if you have a 360/PS3.

If you have a Wii, then from what the previous "reports" have stated, you'll be able to get an actual retail copy.

Taichu

Sweet! I love that the gameplay will be more akin to 3 - 6, and features the retro style. Why are we so sure that this won't be on WiiWare?

Alex

In defense of the anti-Legends people, when the games first came out, they were not particularly well-received.

By who? Fuck faced, know nothing media douches? Everyone I knew loved the shit out of MML.

TreIII

Taichu said:
Sweet! I love that the gameplay will be more akin to 3 - 6, and features the retro style. Why are we so sure that this won't be on WiiWare?

We're not "so sure", we're just going by what these same "rumors" (can't claim 'em as facts until we get 'em) have been stating.

Basically, from the looks of these reports, the Wii version will be a retail release, while the XBLA/PSN release will be download-able. Which may indeed need to be the case, especially if the game goes over the WiiWare's size limits.

Besides, I would appreciate being able to actually own and collect a physical copy of the game, as opposed to just having DLC options. All I would ask is either for retail price to be reasonable, or include extra content for it to be possibly 10 dollars more to get a physical version.

I was just listening to the song of the introduction stage of Megaman 8 when I realized.... THEY NEED TO GET WHOEVER DID THE SONGS IN 8 TO DO THEM IN 9

Top Bottom