• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 9 confirmed by OFLC

Teknoman said:

The name is Rock, dammit. >_<

No, thanks. It was always a wish of mind to have Wily portrayed darkly - as a batshit insane villain hellbent on world domination but defeated by Mega Man so many times that all he really has left is his hatred.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Farmed out, 3D, edgy. You heard it here first.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Teknoman said:
There was a sequel?

erm, sort of. Wonderswan only, JPN only. Never met anyone who has owned or played it, to be honest.

I can't remember the name although I'm sure a quick Wiki would find it, but it had Rockman & Bass branding implying it is part of the regular series rather than having portable-specific branding like the GB Worlds series.

Does anyone else smell Mega Man 9: Battle Network 12 Subsection 2 Ultra Turbo Console HD Extreme Limited Colletor's Edition?

Teknoman

Pureauthor said:
No, thanks. It was always a wish of mind to have Wily portrayed darkly - as a batshit insane villain hellbent on world domination but defeated by Mega Man so many times that all he really has left is his hatred.

I doubt Capcom would ever do that...then again who knows. Im just going by the english VA's i've heard for Wily (that old animated show, Powered Up, X4, dont really remember 8's VA). Though that would just feel wierd if it was of a darker tone for classic Megaman, X series and somewhat Zero series seemed to have that.

Stumpokapow said:
erm, sort of. Wonderswan only, JPN only. Never met anyone who has owned or played it, to be honest.

I can't remember the name although I'm sure a quick Wiki would find it, but it had Rockman & Bass branding implying it is part of the regular series rather than having portable-specific branding like the GB Worlds series.

The official name is 'Rockman and Forte 2: Challenger from the Future', and it features, amongst other things, Quint, Bullet Man, and a scene where Rock and Forte cry over Quint's broken body.

sphinx

the piano man
Pureauthor said:
It's multiplat, according to the OP's source.

I think it's time developers/publishers understand that XBLA/PSN/WiiWare is the only choice to release actual/real 3-way multiplatform games without having to downgrade or "adapt" them to specfic needs/strengths of the consoles.

Megaman 5 for all 3 consoles would be awesome but I think I'd prefer it on handhelds.. to be honest.

Pimpwerx

Acosta said:
Hopefully is not another PSN-XBL project.
Huh? You sure? Rocketman's demo made me throw-up in my mouth, and Commando3 apparently isn't so hot. But Bionic Commando and 1942 look awesome. I'd take a similar-style remake of Megaman2 over any new MM game they could come up with. It's still the best one in the series IMO, but I stopped caring after X2. PEACE.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pureauthor said:
The official name is 'Rockman and Forte 2: Challenger from the Future', and it features, amongst other things, Quint, Bullet Man, and a scene where Rock and Forte cry over Quint's broken body.

:lol wonderswan :lol

OMG Megaman 9? I'm pretty surprised, I didn't thought they'd get back to the original series.

I hope it won't be a watered-down-easy-boring-text-filled-shitty-metroidvania-rip-off this time. I want to get my butt kicked old school way!

I can't wait for more details!

Himuro said:
You didn't read mine did you?

It can be an indication because that's obviously the direction Capcom wants the series to be going in. It's currently the main series and they did it to win people who stopped playing MM or are new to MM. Why wouldn't they apply the same strategy to MM9?

75% chance it'll suck and be a dumbed down pussy game.

Nope.

This is the direction Capcom wants the series to go:

main.jpg

because that's the direction that gets them sales. Obviously they screwed up somewhere along the line with Star Force, because it's now averaging out at half the sales, but I digress. 2D platforming Mega Man is a bone Capcom throws to the hardcore because Inticreates can apparently keep the budget low enough that they see some returns.

If you want to make a comparison, you might as well compare to MMPU. Was that a pussified game in your opinion? If it is, then I suppose you're justified in being worried.

Teknoman

Gimme some of this
2mg14kl.jpg

and a nice boss select screen

24gt6va.jpg

And im good.

On a side note: Oil man and his design sucks. I dont know WHAT they were thinking with that...at least I dont want to know.

EmSeta

I hope:

- GRIN is working on it, together with Capcom JP (Inafune?)
- It actually sheds some light on the occurrances between 8 and X
- It isn't as flimsy as Powered Up

Please, Capcom?

Himuro said:
You didn't read mine did you?

It can be an indication because that's obviously the direction Capcom wants the series to be going in. It's currently the main series and they did it to win people who stopped playing MM or are new to MM. Why wouldn't they apply the same strategy to MM9?

75% chance it'll suck and be a dumbed down pussy game.

I'm not so sure, the ZX series as been a total failure, by this time of the year, the 3rd game should be released in Japan. It failed in sale, and in fanboy's perception. They didn't catch any new audience, and the core fans are pissed off.

Maybe they've learned their lesson this time. I hope that the Megaman 9, will mean a come back to the roots (but then again, neither Powered Up or Maverick Hunter X have sold that well, but the critics where really good at least, unlike ZX). And considering the success of games like Ninja Gaiden and DMC, I hope that they realise that some people, like us, love challenging games.

Talamius

Pureauthor said:
The name is Rock, dammit. >_<

American McGee's Rockman?

In all seriousness, a series reboot with a much darker, M-rated theme could bring Mega Man back into relevance. Preferably over the shoulder 3rd person ala Mega Man Legends.

I doubt Capcom wants to lose the marketability with the younger audience that Battle Network has brought them, though :(

lyre said:

You're going to hate it anyway. Save yourself the pain.

In all seriousness, a series reboot with a much darker, M-rated theme could bring Mega Man back into relevance. Preferably over the shoulder 3rd person ala Mega Man Legends.

It's not so much about 'relevance' so much as that I never even considered Wily as being anything other than how he was portrayed in the games until I read 'Rockman, the Robot War'.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Talamius said:
God no. Save that for Mega Man Legends 3, don't destroy the series proper.

Teknoman

Talamius said:
American McGee's Rockman?

I doubt Capcom wants to lose the marketability with the younger audience that Battle Network has brought them, though :(

Not just that but they would probably lose any classic Megaman fans that may have played the game. A classic series Megaman game should be just that, a classic style Megaman game. No Bomberman Zero Darkness needed here.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The battle network series (not starforce) owned in gameplay and art. :mad:

A new mega man is nice, even though I prefer the X series. >.>

lyre

Pureauthor said:
You're going to hate it anyway. Save yourself the pain.
I know I will, but I can't help but try it out anyway.

But if it's more like MMnB, then I'm all for it.

Oldschoolgamer said:
The battle network series (not starforce) owned in gameplay and art. :mad:

Folder building was a drag. But once you got that done, the gameplay was awesome.

A new mega man is nice, even though I prefer the X series. >.>

I place the X series above the Classic series almost solely for the inclusion of dash. Dash is awesome.

Zero beats the pants off both of them, however.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Pureauthor said:
Folder building was a drag. But once you got that done, the gameplay was awesome.

I place the X series above the Classic series almost solely for the inclusion of dash. Dash is awesome.

Zero beats the pants off both of them, however.

Agreed and agreed. The Zero games on the gba were some of the most well polished and fun action games I have played.

Damodar

I would worship at the altar of Capcom if they bring me 1080p 2D Megaman... The MMX art style would look better as HD sprites, IMO.

2D, HD, featuring Zero, on PSN: Day -1241241296

I couldn't be more excited right now. I feel like one of those guys that just found out they are not the father, on Maury Povitch. I've been asking for this for 10 years now!

&#9834; Oh happy days! Oh happy day hay haaaaaaays!

All I ask is that it's 2D, hand drawn, and obviously in HD.

:D :D :D Mega Man 9!!!:D :D :D

Sciz

Pureauthor said:
Mega Man 9 by WayForward.
I was discussing Wario Land Shake with a friend yesterday, and the conversation eventually came to the point where we agreed that it's existence was akin to Capcom outsourcing Mega Man 9 to WayForward for the PS3/360.

You have no idea how surreal this is for me right now.

firex

why do I somehow expect Megaman 9: Modern Warfare, a game where you play some dude wearing prototype powered armor and shoot away at enemies designed after lame cold war fears?

lyre

firex said:
why do I somehow expect Megaman 9: Modern Warfare, a game where you play some dude wearing prototype powered armor and shoot away at enemies designed after lame cold war fears?
MM Legends?

firex said:

'Lame cold wars fears'? Please, don't be ridiculous.

Dr. Wily is so obviously a Nazi.

TreIII

If I remembered correctly, Inafune himself basically confirmed that the next console Rockman game was going to find a home on the Wii, due to the fact that trying to make a Rockman game for the 360 and PS3 would probably be both expensive, and may be at risk of not selling hotly (like the PSP games).

But whatever...if this is true, then HUZZAH. It doesn't even need to move the storyline all that much, just give me Rock, Wily and 8 more Robot Masters to kill. I would then be good!

NeonZ

firex said:

Capcom might do something silly like that eventually, but it'd be a new Megaman "subtitle" series, rather than a new game in one of the old ones.

Teknoman

The ONLY thing I dont like about the Zero series is the music. It just didnt seem all that catchy to me. ZX series so far has been pretty catchy.

TreIII

Jamesfrom818 said:
Where's Mega Man Legends 3 Capcom!?

Ideally? After this game.

This game probably holds the best chance of re-capturing interest, because it goes back to the original series that people love so much.

They can go back to the world of Rockman DASH, AFTER they deliver on this game. :D

Teknoman

Pureauthor said:
'Lame cold wars fears'? Please, don't be ridiculous.

Dr. Wily is so obviously a Nazi.

Im just glad Dr. Light doesnt sound like Elmer Fudd anymore.

"Megomayn, you must stolp Dr. Whywee"

:lol

Wii is ideal for a legends game as well. Give it some high production values, great Wii controls and tight IR aiming, people who arent even fans of the blue bomber will buy it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I would not mind seeing a 2D (gameplay at least) Mega Man with a world and story something like that of Megaman Legends. The Legends universe is really a great evolution of the original Mega Man setting and mood, IMHO, in some ways better than the X series with its dystopic theme that just drags on and on. Plus Legends brings something, I think, fresh to Mega Man, which is a spirit of adventure, not just fighting bad guys.

I always wanted to like the Zero series and they're definitely well-made and polished, but for some reason they don't click with me. I didn't like the Cyber Elf systems and found their Metroidesque structure to be awkward compared to an actual Metroid (or a Metroidvania) game.

Top Bottom