• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 9 confirmed by OFLC

farnham

Banned
Capcom should make a Bomberman Act Zero esque Revamp on the 360 and the PS3

With HD graphics
deadrising_d.jpg

Vin diesel as megaman

megaman.jpg

and the brilliant Art of Capcoms artists

Mega-Man-4.jpg

55568-16-2.jpg

Teknoman said:
The ONLY thing I dont like about the Zero series is the music. It just didnt seem all that catchy to me. ZX series so far has been pretty catchy.

Hell's gate Open, Cannonball, Prismatic, For Endless Fight III, Cold Smile, Trail on Powdery Snow, Straight Ahead, Holy Land, Esperanto, Cyber Space, and Falling Down laugh in your face.

Do you hear me? IN. YOUR. FACE.

Pureauthor said:
If that's the case, then I think it'd be best served on a handheld.

I'd like to see it as a Wii retail title just like the new Wario Land.

Turn the controller sideways and its just like the NES pad, and the glory days of MM all over again.

TreIII

Pureauthor said:
Hell's gate Open, Cannonball, Prismatic, For Endless Fight III, Cold Smile, Trail on Powdery Snow, Straight Ahead, Holy Land, Esperanto, Cyber Space, and Falling Down laugh in your face.

Cannonball, X the Legend and the various forms of CRASH are definitely among some of fave Rockman musics.

Still, I do have to agree that overall, the Zero series tracks aren't exactly as "hummable" and catchy as games' past. I hope that Capcom's sound team can deliver for this title.

Shin Johnpv said:
I'd like to see it as a Wii retail title just like the new Wario Land.

Turn the controller sideways and its just like the NES pad, and the glory days of MM all over again.

YES.

I'm really hoping that WLS and this game could make more of a case for 2D games on consoles. Not only do they deserve a place, but they shouldn't be forced to be DLC on XBLA and PSN, either, in my opinion.

Sorry, but I like being able to have physical copies of my games.

Enk

makes good threads.
I hope they don't screw this one up if it's true. Don't Westernize the artstyle, add 3d vehicle stages, get rid of the boss screen, etc. Here's some things that you should do Capcom:

-Stick with the original artstyle from the earlier games. Preferably cel-shaded with no outlines.

-MUST include an advance mapmaker from Powered Up. Every Mega Man from now on should have this.

-8 boss map screen from the preMega Man 8 games. More bosses would be nice too :D

-Music should be in the vein of the first 3 games and not post IV.

-No fancy storylines, in your face plots, tutorial levels, constant distractions from NPC characters wanting to talk with you, etc. Keep the gameplay as pure as possible.

-If you are to innovate, do it with the weapons and the level designs, but keep the core gameplay the same.

TreIII said:
YES.

I'm really hoping that WLS and this game could make more of a case for 2D games on consoles. Not only do they deserve a place, but they shouldn't be forced to be DLC on XBLA and PSN, either, in my opinion.

Sorry, but I like being able to have physical copies of my games.

I feel the same way, not a crazy fan of Digital content. I would love to have this be a renaissance for some other series to go back to their 2D roots. Since Retro is taking a break from the Metroid Universe I'd love to see the guys who did Fusion and Zero Mission do a retail console 2D Metroid game. Maybe since all the 3D iterations have been complete shit, Sega could do a new 2D console Sonic game.

Ahhh to dream.

I am so confused by this thread.

Almost everyone in here wants the same damn Megaman game they've played a hundred times since the first one came out 20 something years ago.

Meanwhile everytime one of these games comes out, the thread is full of nothing but bitching about it being the same old shit.

We don't need another by the numbers Megaman game, we have countless ones already. If any franchise needs a nextgen reboot its this one. And if they can do as well as they've done with freakin Bionic Commando they should be able to knock a nextgen 3D Megaman out of the park. Seriousry

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
psychopsychic said:

Almost everyone in here wants the same damn Megaman game they've played a hundred times since the first one came out 20 something years ago.
People want a game in the vein of the original series, of which there hasn't been one since 1997, that's 11 years in math numbers.

Wow. High def assets for a 2d designed megaman in this day and age would be hot. I'm a bit cautious, but I'm looking forward to seeing what Capcom has at E3.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Pureauthor said:

Oh HELL yes. Cannonball is probably one of the most epic final boss battle themes ever made. The piano part sends chills down my spine.

Caravan ~ Hope For Freedom is great as well :).

Hey didn't Inafune say the Wii would be a good fit for a new Megaman game at one point?

TreIII

psychopsychic said:

*thisisNeoGafdude.gif*

But seriously...the people who usually complain are the ones who are going to complain any way. Fans who really care about the series will eat it up, initially, and THEN maybe talk about some of the things that may grind their gears. Go read up some of the topics on this from when ZX and its sequel came out, and you'll see that most liked what they saw, then once they got off the high, they'll talk about what they didn't like.

And if they can do as well as they've done with freakin Bionic Commando they should be able to knock a nextgen 3D Megaman out of the park. Seriousry

Yet...they're also doing what's basically a remake/upgrade of the original NES title. The one that people wanted to see a sequel/remake to for years on end. Same thing goes for SF4. It's so much of a re-tread back to what people wanted to see more of (SF2+).

So, it's not like people don't appreciate when Capcom does things by the numbers. They just want them to do the numbers WELL, and maybe interject some newness here and there.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wonder if this is one of the 2 "Unannounced" Capcom games on their E3 list

TreIII

schuelma said:
Wonder if this is one of the 2 "Unannounced" Capcom games on their E3 list

Probably.

It also wouldn't surprise me if this happened to be one of the "many surprises we have in store for the Wii!" that Capcom was talking about, as well.

schuelma

TreIII said:
It also wouldn't surprise me if this happened to be one of the "many surprises we have in store for the Wii!" that Capcom was talking about, as well.

Well, it says multi platform which hints to 360/PS3 IMO.

schuelma said:
Well, it says multi platform which hints to 360/PS3 IMO.

The OFLC incorrectly lists many games as multiplatform, so that doesn't confirm anything. But XBLA/PSN is what the earlier rumors said, so it's most likely.

Ifrit

The music in the Zero games is great, especially MMZ 2 and 4

Kaijima said:
I always wanted to like the Zero series and they're definitely well-made and polished, but for some reason they don't click with me. I didn't like the Cyber Elf systems and found their Metroidesque structure to be awkward compared to an actual Metroid (or a Metroidvania) game.

You should check out MMZ 2, 3 and 4. They have a more old-school approach and IMO better than the first

schuelma

Father_Brain said:
The OFLC incorrectly lists many games as multiplatform, so that doesn't confirm anything. But XBLA/PSN is what the earlier rumors said, so it's most likely.

Gotcha

TreIII

Father_Brain said:

It still doesn't make much sense to me, and makes me think that particular rumor is probably rotten, too.

I mean, Bionic Commando? Sure. That's a series that only 20-30 year olds would care about (since they're the ones who may actually remember the originals!), and they would more than likely own a 360/PS3. Perfect fit for the demographic that is attempted to be reached.

But Mega Man? A series that, let's be honest, has always been a "Shounen" (5-18) franchise marketed directly to kids? Why would Capcom put a game that was waited for that long, by kids and kids-at-heart, and put it on the consoles that most kids would stand to own the least of?

Just doesn't add up, in my eyes. Especially not if MM9 turns out to be a NEW game, and not a remake of an older one.

And let's face it...if Monster Hunter is going to the Wii, and that's probably Capcom's most valuable "new-age" IP, what reason is there to believe that Rockman, Capcom's most enduring IP, would be treated any less?

It's more than likely going to be a game crafted on a budget, and marketed to kids, just like Rockman always has.

Teknoman

Pureauthor said:

I'll listen to em just in case my memory is failing me.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
zoku88 said:
Wait, so Rockman and Bass wasn't really Mega Man 9? Oh...
Are you trying to refer to this game by its American or Japanese name? You can't have it both ways.

Rockman & Forte or Mega Man & Bass. Pick one! :D

Calling it Rockman & Bass would be like referring to Resident Evil as Resident Hazard (or Bio Evil).

klausbert

I think they should include some Trackmania/Little Big Planet content creation and sharing stuff in it. That would be awesome...maybe.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Whimsical Phil said:
Are you trying to refer to this game by its American or Japanese name? You can't have it both ways.

Rockman & Forte or Mega Man & Bass. Pick one! :D

Calling it Rockman & Bass would be like referring to Resident Evil as Resident Hazard (or Bio Evil).

Oh man Bio Evil would be such a kickass name.

!!!!!!!! :O
FINALLY!!!!!!!! :O

2D gameplay, cel-shaded(MM:NT) or cartoon-sprites(MM7,8) style grapihcs will be great for this!! =D

Oh and if you know what you're doing Capcom, know where most of Mega Man's fanbase are.....be smart, make it for the Wii. :D

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
As a huge Mega Man fan, this excites me like no other Mega Man news in a long time. The classic Mega Man series has always been my favourite. I'm not a "Mega Man 2 or bust" kind of person, either; I've enjoyed every single spinoff of Mega Man, except for Battle Network, and I think each one has something different to offer. But I just enjoy the more simplistic approach of the old Mega Man games. I also like the cartoonish aesthetic (that doesn't devolve into Saturday morning anime like Battle Network does) and the music, which is almost always amazing.

Personally, I'd really rather that this game not go for a darker tone. I don't mind the darker tone of the X series and I think it works well for that series, but I think Mega Man 9 should remain faithful to the motifs of the earlier original series games. Seeing Dr. Wily as a pitiful and insane figure whose only purpose in life is to destroy Mega Man would be interesting, but it would clash too much with the other games in the series. After all, this is the same villain who thought Clown Man would be a good idea. Personally, I really hope that Capcom doesn't listen to the bloodlust of fans who want to see Mega Man 9 ending with Zero killing everybody.

Speaking of which, I hope the Robot Masters in the game are well-designed. I thought some of the later games in the series (especially Mega Man 6 and Mega Man 8) suffered because the bosses and the weapons they yielded were stupid and gimmicky. Oil Man and Time Man in Powered Up weren't bad. But I'd rather not fight bosses along the lines of Plant Man or Aqua Man again.

I'd like to see some of the features from Powered Up return as well. Construction Mode was absolutely brilliant, and I'd welcome the opportunity to design my own Mega Man stages again. The ability to play the game as other characters or Robot Masters would be appreciated as well. Heck, I don't even need the Robot Masters, just give me Bass, Roll (Powered Up style) and Proto Man.

Finally, as long as the game is a 2D side-scroller, the platform it's on doesn't matter too much to me. I'd like to see the game be sprite-based, so the best odds of that are either on the DS or as downloadable content. I welcome portability as well, and would rather not see waggle shoehorned in, either. The fact that it's classified as "multiplatform" implies to me that we'll be seeing it on the consoles, though. Which is fine, as long as they keep the game true to its roots.

Above all, I just want the game to not disappoint.

Cipherr

Cheeto said:
100% 2d + Boss Selection Screen would = day 1

QFMFT. I would come back to the megaman games if this title does that. And I hate to say it, but dont be a wiiware release please. Wiiware doesn't have a filesize limit big enough to make this game LONG enough for me. I want a LOT of content, XBL and PSN exclusive please so they dont have to build around a 40 meg limit. Graphics dont really matter here, 2D = win.

Iam Canadian

Oh, yes, one more thing. One annoying thing that a lot of the later classic Mega Man series games did was limit you to only four Robot Masters at the start to choose from and unlocking the rest afterward. Hopefully Capcom reverses that. I want all eight Robot Masters available at the get-go.

TreIII

..pakbeka.. said:
I thought I wouldn't live to see this day

didn't Inafune said the wii was the ideal platform for future megaman games?

Pretty much.

Also, to counter the recent PSN/XBLA rumor, there's always this blurb from SurferGirl's blog. Veterans from the Smash threads may remember this one (at least, before the utterance of the Blue Bomber = BAN :lol).

Surfer Girl said:
Saturday, November 10, 2007

*spoiler'd stuff is stuff she has since crossed out, as they were debunked, or she otherwise got more info to change things up*

14)
Capcom character could happen in SSBB (I'd say
Mega Man, who has his own Wii-exclusive coming next year),
but a Square character seems highly unlikely

-http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2007/11/for-those-who-dont-read-comments-vol-ii.html

So...yeah. It's a SurferGirl comment. But seeing how a number of her predictions/reports actually pan out, I thought this would be an interesting factoid to dredge up (again). Besides, at this point, her word is basically as good as the guy who started the XBLA/PSN rumor. Plus, at least she has a "History" of sorts... :lol

firex

oh, and I absolutely love Megaman. I just don't want to get my hopes up after how shitty ZX Advent was, and how Capcom seems to be mismanaging Megaman as a series so far.

even though I will no doubt wind up at least trying out the next ZX game on gamefly.

Mega Man 9 can't be allowed to exist.

Countless people died trying to find out of Mega Man X was actually Mega Man 10. There can't be a 9 as it would mean all those deaths were in vain.

I'm all for Legends 3.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just realized something.

This game needs to take the Wario Land Shake route. That should be at the top of Capcom's list when designing this game, accept no substitutes.

TreIII

Iam Canadian said:
But the OFLC page says the game is "multi-platform"...

As some one else said above, OFLC gets the status of "multi-platform" for games wrong on several occasions.

So, in short, anything it says, beyond the notion of the fact that the game "exists", and Red Ant Entertainment will be the publisher-distributer of the game in Australia, can be taken with grains of salt. That goes for the rumor-mongers, as well, but that should go without saying...

Perdew

WOW I have wanted this game for ages! I'd love it to another campy anime-esque story Mega Man 8/X4 style, too, with cutscenes and good 2D animation.

Speaking of Campy, make it VERY tongue in cheek like MM:pU while you are at it. Keep Roll and Blues playable, oh and Forte (loooooved R&F on the Super Famicom). You can make Zero the last boss, but don't have him kill everyone.

TreIII

Well, there's possibly more info to be had today.

Protodude said:
Who Is Red Ant Enterpises? RM9 On Wii?

Numerous gamers have spotted that MegaMan 9's OFLC rating was registered by "Red Ant Enterpises." So, who exactly are they?

Apparently, Red Ant Enterprises Is Capcom's "digital" distributor in Australia. Meaning they are responsible for allowing Australian gamers to access Capcom content on popular download services such as Xbox Live Arcade and PLAYSTATION Network.

Going by this info, we can conclude that RM9/MM9 is indeed be a downloadable title. But, what about the Wii? Can we expect RM9/MM9 to appear on WiiWare?

Some have speculated that Capcom has passed on the Wii's download service due to its file size limitations. However, that does not rule out a Wii version. Tonight, I received a tip from PRC reader "JibJab" that Wii owners will not miss out on RM9/MM9. Wii owners will be able to purchase a retail version of the game that is said to be nearly identical to both the XBLA and PSN versions.

Could RM9/MM9 be the long rumored Wii title? We'll have to wait and see. E3 2008 isn't too far off (, I'm pretty pisitive we'll hear some more RM9/MM9 details there.

-

1st Comment
Rockman 9 will be on Wii. Have no fears.

- The Shadow (one of the same guys who perpetuated the XBLA/PSN rumor)

So, nothing official still, but we seem to only have more details shed when it comes to this game. If this is to be believed, the Wii will be the one that gets an actual retail version, while the PSN/LA versions will be downloads.

Eh, works for me. :D

Iam Canadian

Hmm. If this is true, I wonder what benefits the retail Wii version will offer over the XBLA/PSN versions. Hopefully, the Wii version will be Classic Controller compatible and not shoehorn in any waggle gimmicks. Of all the modern controllers, the Classic Controller is most suited for an old-school Mega Man game and I was spoiled by shoulder button weapon switching.

TreIII

Iam Canadian said:
Hmm. If this is true, I wonder what benefits the retail Wii version will offer over the XBLA/PSN versions. Hopefully, the Wii version will be Classic Controller compatible and not shoehorn in any waggle gimmicks. Of all the modern controllers, the Classic Controller is most suited for an old-school Mega Man game and I was spoiled by shoulder button weapon switching.

Personally, I'd think they should take a note from Wario Land Shake. Hold Wii-mote side-ways and "BAM!", it'll be just like the good ol 8bit days! :D Besides, as far as I'm concerned, Rockman was at his best when the series kept it simple. Jump, Shoot, and maybe L&R to serve as weapon switches. That's all one really needed.

Any way...I suppose what really will be the determining factor is if the Wii/Retail version stands to cost significantly more than the DL versions. If it costs more, then it had oughta include not only everything that the DL versions got, but some nice extras to round out the package deal, like maybe a few more extra characters, or production interview/cool swag, or whatever.

But whatever...they need only give me an idea of when I should look out for this, and I'll be importing this Day 1. Been waiting too long for a trip back to the world of 20XX, and the REAL Rockman and crew...

Top Bottom