• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 9 confirmed by OFLC

Aeana

This is potentially really good news for me, as I'll always love the classic series the most. I really didn't like the direction they took the franchise with X and Zero.

Andrex said:
When is the REAL Megaman series gonna make a comeback?
X :'(

:(

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
you bitches betta be ready to turn that WiiMote sideways old school NES style!!!!

Or not, I hope so. That would reinforce the whole MM9 thing...

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Oh, I certainly hope that information is true? Playable Proto Man? 8 bit art style? They won't pander to the lowest common denominator and have Zero skewer Mega Man on the end of his Z-Saber? Absolutely do want! :D

Gilgamesh

Protodude said:
A popular belief is that RM9 will act as the 'link' to the events of the X Series. This is not so, The storyline DOES NOT lead into the X Series, rather it's a 'traditional' plot.
I don't know if I should be angry or pleased.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
-Rockman 9 will feature a retro 8-bit art style, a homage to the earlier games.

Goddamn it. :(

A popular belief is that RM9 will act as the 'link' to the events of the X Series. This is not so, The storyline DOES NOT lead into the X Series, rather it's a 'traditional' plot.

Wow, what a wasted opportunity.

Teknoman

Wait wait wait...the 8 bit graphic style sounds a little too much. Also why not include 7 and 8? Those are no different from 6 except in Robot masters and more cutscenes.

Unless its actually going to look like an NES game...which actually just seems like a dumb decisions. I mean im a HUGE Megaman fan boy but damn...

Running around like
812263998a2145186435b408819629m.jpg
this on a next-gen system on an original game?

..pakbeka.. said:
I was just listening to the song of the introduction stage of Megaman 8 when I realized.... THEY NEED TO GET WHOEVER DID THE SONGS IN 8 TO DO THEM IN 9

Either that or whoever did Powered Up's new compositions. Time man still kicks ass. Megaman 7 had some great music too.

Someone bump that Megaman music appreciation topic.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Teknoman said:
Wait wait wait...the 8 bit graphic style sounds a little too much. Also why not include 7 and 8? Those are no different from 6 except in Robot masters and more cutscenes.

Well, Mega Man 7 and 8 had a lot more dialogue and plot. Plus, they had the whole system of using bolts to create power-ups.

Teknoman said:
Unless its actually going to look like an NES game...which actually just seems like a dumb decisions. I mean im a HUGE Megaman fan boy but damn...

Running around like

That sounds awesome to me. Mega Man doesn't need "next-gen" graphics and I've always thought that the aesthetic of the NES Mega Man titles had a lot of charm.

However, I have a feeling that Capcom isn't going to take the concept that literally. I'd expect the game to look more like the Japanese box arts of the old Mega Man titles.

Teknoman

Iam Canadian said:
Well, Mega Man 7 and 8 had a lot more dialogue and plot. Plus, they had the whole system of using bolts to create power-ups.

That sounds awesome to me. Mega Man doesn't need "next-gen" graphics and I've always thought that the aesthetic of the NES Mega Man titles had a lot of charm.

However, I have a feeling that Capcom isn't going to take the concept that literally. I'd expect the game to look more like the Japanese box arts of the old Mega Man titles.

Oh well in that case, that I can see. As far as a more in depth plot:

"Two playable characters: Rockman and Blues (ProtoMan). Each has their own unique storylines."

That sounds like it could step into MM7 or 8 territory, or at least Powered Up's mini cutscenes.

Gilgamesh said:
I don't know if I should be angry or pleased.
Oblivion said:
Wow, what a wasted opportunity.
I'm not much a Mega Man fan, but wouldn't that basically cap things off for oldschool Mega Man? You'd be wishing they hadn't in a few years so that there'd be a need for Mega Man 10 and 11.

RagnarokX

JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm not much a Mega Man fan, but wouldn't that basically cap things off for oldschool Mega Man? You'd be wishing they hadn't in a few years so that there'd be a need for Mega Man 10 and 11.
They could always make unnumbered games that take place between 1 and 9 a la Mega Man and Bass. Having 9 cap the series would be nice because X is the roman numeral for 10. MM1-9 --> MMX.

Aeana

RagnarokX said:
They could always make unnumbered games that take place between 1 and 9 a la Mega Man and Bass. Having 9 cap the series would be nice because X is the roman numeral for 10. MM1-9 --> MMX.

The X in Mega Man X is not a 10.

kenji

as i know
Megaman fights the ultimate robot created by Wily, and he's Zero
MM vs Zero :Q_____
DO WANT

NeonZ

They could just let Zero be the final boss, but Megaman would win and then they could show Willy sealing Zero afterwards.

The tie in to X would be there, but it'd still leave the classic series open to other games, because the direct transition between classic and X wouldn't be shown.

..pakbeka.. said:
I was just listening to the song of the introduction stage of Megaman 8 when I realized.... THEY NEED TO GET WHOEVER DID THE SONGS IN 8 TO DO THEM IN 9

seriously? i always thought MM8's soundtrack sounded like elevator music.

NeonZ said:
They could just let Zero be the final boss, but Megaman would win and then they could show Willy sealing Zero afterwards.

The tie in to X would be there, but it'd still leave the classic series open to other games, because the direct transition between classic and X wouldn't be shown.
I think Mega Man is killed by Zero isn't he? If that's the case, have Zero to be the final boss, but you have to beat him. And THEN, Zero somehow kills Mega Man during the ending.......

..that would be the SADDEST ending EVER!! :(

Sir Alemeth said:
I think Mega Man is killed by Zero isn't he? If that's the case, have Zero to be the final boss, but you have to beat him. And THEN, Zero somehow kills Mega Man during the ending.......

..that would be the SADDEST ending EVER!! :(

It is not stated anywhere that Zero kills Mega Man. In fact, if the two ever fought it is far more likely that Mega Man won, resulting in Zero being sealed away until after X was found.

-RM9 will be on all major home consoles: Wii, X360 and PS3. X360 and PS3 users will be able to purchase the game from their respective download services. It's unknown how the Wii version will work, whether it will be a downloaded game or not.

Well, if they go multi, I'd like a PSP release too. Some Megaman on the go is always nice, and they can still sell it on PSN :p Being able to cross play the same game between PSP and PS3 would be nice too, but I know I'm asking too much.

And by 8bits style, I don't think that means that the game will look like a NES game, it will certainly be much more detailed than that, but with some awesome art style.

Pureauthor said:
It is not stated anywhere that Zero kills Mega Man. In fact, if the two ever fought it is far more likely that Mega Man won, resulting in Zero being sealed away until after X was found.
Oh, that actually makes more sense! Phew...Mega Man lives! :D

Considering the 8bit supposed art style, I think we can assume that the music will be 8bit style too.

I would really love it that way <3

Perdew

Hmmmm 8-bit retro style sounds a little too close to 'rehash' for me. I remember that killing 6 pretty badly.

If it's not actually NES quality, but just references it a lot, ala No More Heroes, I'm all for it, though.

ALSO, as people have mentioned, nothing ever says Zero kills everyone, and it IS just as likely (as PureAuthor said) that Mega Man would beat him and then Zero gets sealed away.

Man I just read and caught up with the rest of the thread.

One thought: Is Inafune personally helming this project?? ..I sure hope so cuz the best Mega Man games in the past are the ones that were led by him or which he had the most involvements in.

i'm pretty sure the 8bit aesthetic will be treated properly - not simply an emulation of the nes graphics, but a modern day tribute to them.

i hope the rumors are true, as i think MM6 was the last real "mega man" game. not to knock 7 or 8, but it was apparent they kind of lost scope of the series' charm. people cite the third game as the last good one, and the rest rehashes. but if you go back and play all of the nes games, they were all great (well, the sixth game was ostensibly phoned in. we could've done without that one) so it'd be great to go back to some legitimate old school.

edit: and i'm cool with story being eschewed altogether. it's not that i don't find the connections between the original and X series interesting. but i don't play these games for story (part of why MM7 and 8 lost their way, imo).

Sanjuro

I don't understand what is wrong with an 8-bit STYLE Mega Man game? After Super Nintendo he didn't seem fluid at all IMO.

Perdew

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I don't understand what is wrong with an 8-bit STYLE Mega Man game? After Super Nintendo he didn't seem fluid at all IMO.

Rockman 7 had wonderful aesthetics as far as I'm concerned. 8, I thought the sprites were too... pseudo realistic I guess? The weren't as cartoony and fun, but I liked them still.

I enjoy having Forte around, also. I have a feeling he's going to be out in this one.

ALTHOUGH he was an 8bit sprite in Battle and Fighters on the good old Neo Geo Pocket Color!

on mm7 the sprites were too large and mega man controlled really wonky. which was a big no no. i think tight control is what made the franchise. i think this was addressed in MM8, but it's been awhile

8-bit styled graphics? Wii? Mega Man 3 styled gameplay??? Online components and all that jazz???

Words cannot describe my happiness right now.

I love you, Capcom.

-Rockman 9 will feature a retro 8-bit art style, a homage to the earlier games.

-A popular belief is that RM9 will act as the 'link' to the events of the X Series. This is not so, The storyline DOES NOT lead into the X Series, rather it's a 'traditional' plot.

-Gameplay is reminiscent of Rockman 3-6.

Bah, no longer psyched.

Mega Man 8 was awesome, but I haven't played in like 9 years. The only Mega Man game I own right now is the first Legends for PSone, and while that is one of my favorite games of all time, I have the urge for some classic Mega Man platforming. I'm totally getting MM9 on day one!

SuperAngelo64 said:
Bah, no longer psyched.
8-bit retro art style?? That just hit me like a ton of bricks as well. I was really looking forward to some next gen, HD, cartoon quality, artwork/animation. I guess I won't judge it until I see it.

lyre

Iam Canadian said:
Oh, I certainly hope that information is true? Playable Proto Man? 8 bit art style? They won't pander to the lowest common denominator and have Zero skewer Mega Man on the end of his Z-Saber? Absolutely do want! :D
Not possible since Zero never started out with his Z-sabre to begin with. He had a blaster in X1 and didn't get it until he stole/modded Sigma's sabre for himself.

Teknoman said:

Running around like

Pacman CE on XBLA?

Besides, this:
classicgreen287.png

is classic!

NeonZ said:

Wily doesn't need to steal Zero cause he made him! There's a 'Made by Dr. Wily' sticker on the back of Zero's helmet. :p This was foreshadowed in MMPB2's (or 1, can't remember which arcade game) ending.

lyre said:
Not possible since Zero never started out with his Z-sabre to begin with. He had a blaster in X1 and didn't get it until he stole/modded Sigma's sabre for himself.

Not possible? This is Capcom. Need I remind you that we're discussing a character that has canonically died a total of four times?

Wily doesn't need to steal Zero cause he made him! There's a 'Made by Dr. Wily' sticker on the back of Zero's helmet. :p This was foreshadowed in MMPB2's (or 1, can't remember which arcade game) ending.

Seal, lyre, seal. You know, the reason why Zero isn't out fulfilling his whole 'God of Destruction' shtick until after X gets found?

Perdew

Pureauthor said:
Not possible? This is Capcom. Need I remind you that we're discussing a character that has canonically died a total of four times?

Seal, lyre, seal. You know, the reason why Zero isn't out fulfilling his whole 'God of Destruction' shtick until after X gets found?

This all just reminds me that the classic Mega Man storyline was best. No 'successor' series to the robots, no destiny for Zero to become the 'god of destruction', only to be revitalized every hundred years in a different form, only to then somehow become a talking metal plate that latches on to humans, only then to have the world flooded (somehow) and then have Mega Man Trigger become the ultimate savior of the world in a series that is stuck on an unlikely 'to be continued'.

Still, after what they built up with 7, 8, and Rockman and Forte, I'd hate to see it all dropped aside and forgotten. So long as they keep it lighthearted (Super Adventure Rockman and Rockman 8 were the darkest, but still very fun and lighthearted) it'll be fine.

Top Bottom