• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 announced for the 3DS

Septimus

jett said:
How can people hate on MML2's voice acting? It's perfect, it sounds like a Saturday morning cartoon.

I really should replay MML2...
I enjoyed the voices. Although it was a bit funny when roll would say 'May-gah-man'. I will buy a 3DS when this game comes out!

_Bro

Banned
All I can remember is running through some disgusting blue labyrinth of really long hallways fighting an endless 1 enemy at a time army. Man, that was so much fun.

bon

ILikeFeet said:
I only played the first one (we didn't have a PS1). so will the second game be needed to completely understand the plot?
The second game ends with a cliffhanger...

When are part 1 and 2 and Tron Bonne going to come out for PSN already? I liked part 1 but didn't buy it, now eBay has them all for way too much.

Lance Bone Path said:
The point being that neither of those 3D incarnations plays that much like their 2D incarnations. Without getting into the issue of whether or not I loved/hated these games, I think Zelda: OOT was a far better 3D realization of Zelda than Prime was of Metroid. I would put Prime very near the bottom of my list of 3D realizations.
Well I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion then, since MP perfectly captured the essence of Super Metroid in 3D. It featured everything that made the Metroid series great in 2D, while adding interesting new elements that wouldn't have been possible in 2D and avoiding the pratfalls that plague most 3D games. Of those three points, I agree that the first one applies to OoT but the last two really don't, which is why it wasn't a perfect realization of Zelda in 3D.

B.K.

ILikeFeetso said:
will the second game be needed to completely understand the plot?

Very much so. It'll be more important to know what happens in the second game than the first.

My only concern right now is how it'll control. By the time Legends 2 game out, the Dual Shock was a standard and it used the second analog stick to control the camera and aim Mega Man's blaster. That was the biggest gameplay improvement over Legends. I wonder how they'll handle it on thte 3DS.

ILikeFeet

Banned
B.K. said:
Very much so. It'll be more important to know what happens in the second game than the first.

My only concern right now is how it'll control. By the time Legends 2 game out, the Dual Shock was a standard and it used the second analog stick to control the camera and aim Mega Man's blaster. That was the biggest gameplay improvement over Legends. I wonder how they'll handle it on thte 3DS.

THE CLAW RETURNS! or the touchscreen. or an option for tank controls. or the camera is intellegent. or maybe Zelda style

SwiftSketcher said:
Really? I recall legends 1 and 2 having really outstanding dubs for their time. Teisel Bonne, Tron, Servbots, Glyde were all great. I only really hated Megaman's voice in the 2nd game for sounding like a woman.

Yeah it always amazes me for a company to release 3 games in the same generation to have some of the most infamously bad English voice acting of all time (RE, X4, MM8) and then release the Legends games, which had really solid voice acting. Though Tron Bonne was probably the weakest of the three being just a little too sweet and kiddy sounding (and not keeping Ohtani's "Bahhbuuu" voice quips)

gfs_27937_3_10_mid.jpg

The cutscenes were ahead of their time too. I mean can anyone actually name a PS1 game that had such great looking real time animated cutscenes on the PS1? MGS comes close, but even then MML had very expressive facial animations. I can only imagine how great would be if MML3 had fluid cutscenes of Kingdom Hearts quality.

Bentendo

Such a lost opportunity. Third game in the series... you following me? The number 3... maybe you could add a D at the end of that.

Mega Man Legends 3D

SwiftSketcher said:
Really? I recall legends 1 and 2 having really outstanding dubs for their time. Teisel Bonne, Tron, Servbots, Glyde were all great. I only really hated Megaman's voice in the 2nd game for sounding like a woman.
That's because he was voiced by a woman. :p

TreIII

ILikeFeet said:
damn, they should fix that for people who never played either games. either include them as bonuses, or put them up on the VC (2 as 3DSWare)

I say, with Inafune doing a lot to cite what the likes of GTA and RGG/Yakuza are doing in previous interviews related to this game, take a cue from RGG and just make a "Story thus far!" in-game trailer that people can watch like a movie.

If the demand really is there, then maybe Capcom can oblige with ports on VC. But for now, I think a simple movie that people can watch would just as fine to get the gist.

Choppasmith said:
The cutscenes were ahead of their time too. I mean can anyone actually name a PS1 game that had such great looking real time animated cutscenes on the PS1? MGS comes close, but even then MML had very expressive facial animations. I can only imagine how great would be if MML3 had fluid cutscenes of Kingdom Hearts quality.

It helped a lot that the series had a nice cartoony style that worked well with the PS1's limitations.

ILikeFeet

Banned
TreIII said:
I say, with Inafune doing a lot to cite what the likes of GTA and RGG/Yakuza are doing in previous interviews related to this game, take a cue from RGG and just make a "Story thus far!" in-game trailer that people can watch like a movie.

If the demand really is there, then maybe Capcom can oblige with ports on VC. But for now, I think a simple movie that people can watch would just as fine to get the gist.

a movie would really help. especially since the series has been out of commission for so long, most people would say "there's a MML1&2?"

but it would help with advertising the game by putting 1&2 up for download

TreIII said:

The story in MML2 basically resets everything that happened in MML1 aside from the Bonnes, so they could do a similar reset and just have Roll mention that they're broke yet again having rescued a stranded Megaman.

Noshino

duckroll said:
Why hasn't anyone posted the official site? http://www.capcom.co.jp/rockman/dash3/

Along with like 10 other people, sure.

I wonder why Kawano isn't directing this himself. Hmmm....

Given that it is called "project", would it be too far out there to think that there many be other versions of this game outside of the 3DS? :lol

Pinko Marx said:
Its the 3DS. Everyone loves the 3DS.

Nope, I don't like it, and there are people that don't like it as well. It STILL has the awful design of the DSLite, which was uncomfortable beyond belief. I had to lay it on top of a solid surface or my leg to play, and even then, my hands would hurt after 30 minutes or so... shame, specially since the GBA and Micro were much easier to hold.

Sorry, but Nintendo's department that takes care of ergonomics must have been fired and instead they decided to hire the same people that design the original xbox controller.

Anyway, glad that this game was at least released, FINALLY something that fans were ACTUALLY asking for, shame that it is for a console that I won't get.

B.K.

It's been a long time since I played either Legends game, but I don't remember having any problems with Mega Man's voice. I thought it had pretty decent voices.

trejo

On one had I'm now obligated to buy a 3DS at whatever insane price it'll come out here.

On the other hand though, I must have this game. MML3 hells yeah!

B.K. said:
It's been a long time since I played either Legends game, but I don't remember having any problems with Mega Man's voice. I thought it had pretty decent voices.

Megamans voice is different from 1 to 2. In 2 he's voiced by a sailor scout :3

B.K.

Lance Bone Path said:
The story in MML2 basically resets everything that happened in MML1 aside from the Bonnes, so they could do a similar reset and just have Roll mention that they're broke yet again having rescued a stranded Megaman.

Or maybe Legends 3 will be a brand new continuity! It can have a new story, new characters, and a new world. It can be completely unconnected to the first two games.

Noshino said:
Nope, I don't like it, and there are people that don't like it as well. It STILL has the awful design of the DSLite, which was uncomfortable beyond belief. I had to lay it on top of a solid surface or my leg to play, and even then, my hands would hurt after 30 minutes or so... shame, specially since the GBA and Micro were much easier to hold.

Sorry, but Nintendo's department that takes care of ergonomics must have been fired and instead they decided to hire the same people that design the original xbox controller.
Amen. I expect the 3DS to be about as comfortable to use as the DS Lite, which is worse than the PSP. The PSP isn't even that comfortable either. :\

TreIII

B.K. said:
Or maybe Legends 3 will be a brand new continuity! It can have a new story, new characters, and a new world. It can be completely unconnected to the first two games.

What would be the point, then?

We've waited this long for a continuation of the storyline, and that's what we should stand to get. Anything more than that, and they might as well just have made a brand-new Rockman series.

vall03 said:
lol, this feels weird, no one seems to be whining that this is coming to a handheld while at other series, meltdowns seem to be inevitable :lol
maybe because this is actually a powerful handheld, and the previous titles were on PS1 so it'll still be a big improvement in graphics... It's not a Valkyria situation at all.

angelfly

Well I guess Capcom is back on my "liked" listed. After the new retro styled games and Universe I was beginning to hate them for ignoring Legends.

Noshino

polyh3dron said:
maybe because this is actually a powerful handheld, and the previous titles were on PS1 so it'll still be a big improvement in graphics... It's not a Valkyria situation at all.

Yah, its more like Dragon Quest :lol

EDIT:
ShockingAlberto said:

Of course, that's how I roll

Joking aside, Im really wondering if there is another title given that, like duckroll pointed out, Kawano has not been mentioned even though Kamiya's comment seemed to have implied that he is involved.

angelfly said:
Well I guess Capcom is back on my "liked" listed. After the new retro styled games and Universe I was beginning to hate them for ignoring Legends.

I hated them for the "retro styled"" ones as well as Universe

TreIII said:
What would be the point, then?

We've waited this long for a continuation of the storyline, and that's what we should stand to get. Anything more than that, and they might as well just have made a brand-new Rockman series.

I played Legends 1 and 2 for the gameplay, not the story, sorry

B.K. said:
Ok, you're banned from being part of the fan-interaction.

Noshino

SwiftSketcher said:
Really? Because the story was one of the biggest pluses about the Legends series.

I KNOW! :lol

Its just that I always wanted a 3D Megaman, that I never really paid that much attention to the story, sorry :C

Noshino

Anonymous Tipster said:
Go back and play it again! You owe it to yourself! You owe it to me!

Im in the Navy, consoles are at home, as soon as I get to my next command, Im getting my shit shipped! I didn't even get to play GoW3! >:C

Other people have consoles here, no one has PS3s though, freaking americans! :lol

Noshino said:
Yah, its more like Dragon Quest :lol
Even as a joke this doesn't make sense.

Dragon Quest went from relatively powerful hardware to significantly weaker. This is going from really weak hardware to significantly more powerful.

You confused me, and the only time I like being confused is when someone slips their hand into my diaper.

Noshino

Thunder Monkey said:
Even as a joke this doesn't make sense.

Dragon Quest went from relatively powerful hardware to significantly weaker. This is going from really weak hardware to significantly more powerful.

You confused me, and the only time I like being confused is when someone slips their hand into my diaper.

The PS1 wasn't "really weak hardware" back when it came out :lol

The similarity is that those titles went from being released on relative powerful hardware (during their generations) to relatively weaker hardware. Do you beg to differ? :lol

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
ILikeFeet said:
I wonder if this game will have cel shading. with Layton, it's easy to mistake it for handdrawn sprites
Yeah, after seeing a few stills, it's quite tricky to tell them apart.

Love Plus 3ds is definitely up there too.

Noshino said:
The PS1 wasn't "really weak hardware" back when it came out :lol

The similarity is that those titles went from being released on relative powerful hardware (during their generations) to relatively weaker hardware. Do you beg to differ? :lol
eh, i still don't get it.

SpecX

This is great news and horrible news for me at the same time. I've longed to have another Legends game, but I can't stand playing games on handhelds.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Serenade said:
Yeah, after seeing a few stills, it's quite tricky to tell them apart.

Love Plus 3ds is definitely up there too.

eh, i still don't get it.

do we even know if Love Plus is real time?

SpecX said:
This is great news and horrible news for me at the same time. I've longed to have another Legends game, but I can't stand playing games on handhelds.
While I'm happy there's a sequel, I too would have preferred it on a console. But my thinking is this. The 3DS will launch with a handful of titles, and Legends will be one of the 1st or 2nd generation titles, saving it from getting lost in a massive library. This will hopefully bolster sales and give the franchise popularity (compared to the original DASH/Legends launch that got buried in the FFVII/MGS hysteria of the holidays in 98...) And if popular enough, a bigger budget console title may become more plausible.

I grew up playing this on my TV, and that's how I would have preferred it's comeback. But at this point it's no time to beg because the sequel on it's own is a miracle. The 3DS really isn't a shabby piece of hardware either.

B.K.

SwiftSketcher said:
While I'm happy there's a sequel, I too would have preferred it on a console. But my thinking is this. The 3DS will launch with a handful of titles, and Legends will be one of the 1st or 2nd generation titles, saving it from getting lost in a massive library. This will hopefully bolster sales and give the franchise popularity (compared to the original DASH/Legends launch that got buried in the FFVII/MGS hysteria of the holidays in 98...) And if popular enough, a bigger budget console title may become more plausible.

I just wonder how many people will be interested in the game. Most gamers never played the first two and have probably even even heard of the series. They'll be dropped right in the middle of the story with no clue what's happening or who anyone is.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Serenade said:
I believe it was using in game assets, aka the girl, for the trailer.

even better. if the game uses the gyro like in the trailer, even better-er. wait, this isn't the Love Plus thread! :lol

TreIII

B.K. said:
I just wonder how many people will be interested in the game. Most gamers never played the first two and have probably even even heard of the series. They'll be dropped right in the middle of the story with no clue what's happening or who anyone is.

Again, this is what I think that RGG/Yakuza series did so well.

For those who want a quick re-cap of the events that happened before, the game usually comes with a comprehensive "The Story Thus Far...!" FMV that basically plays the events of the previous games as a movie. Through that, both newcomers and veterans alike stand to come to the new game's story more or less on the same page.

Capcom saves themselves the time and effort in trying to port the games to some other piece of hardware that people may or may not play, and every body gets to play DASH3 without being lost. Sounds like a win-win, in my opinion. For everything else, people can read summaries on the likes of Wiki and etc.

Top Bottom